The Ford Report - Week 12, Bills v. Saints, 11/25/21

Freddie's Dead

The Ford Report is back for its second installment.  I will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  The lingering question is whether Ford sucks as much as many here think he does.  Joe Buscaglia gave Ford a D+ last week, while I saw A-.  I will be looking for plays that might justify Joe B's negative grades, because I believe his confirmation bias will lead him to grade Ford low just as a reflex.  Let's go to the tape.

Bills 1st possession

1st and 10, BUF 35 - 74 is bull rushed to within two yards of Josh, as was Morse, one of the posters in the GDT went nuts over this play, but I thought Ford held up well, Josh complete to Diggs FD (+1,+1)  JOE B PLAY

1st and 10, BUF 49 - 74 run block, passed off his man, went to 2nd level but no one there to block, Breida for 6 (0,+1) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 4, NO 45 - 74 pulls and traps 55, driving him 4 yards downfield and on his ass, Josh designed run for FD (+1,+2)

1st and 10, NO 39 - 74 PB, but again driven to within 2 yards of Josh, complete to Diggs for 9(+1,+3) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 1, NO 30 - 74 double-teams NT with Morse, Breida for 9 FD (+1,+4)

1st and 10, NO 21 - 74 run block, straight ahead, Breida off Ford's shoulder for 5 (+1,+5)

2nd and 5, NO 16 - 74 run block, seals off inside, Motor runs left for 2 (+1,+6)

3rd and 3, NO 14 - 74 run block straight ahead, thrown aside, looks for 2nd level block, finds nothing, Josh designed sweep, FD (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

1st and Goal, NO 6 - 74 straight run block, fails to turn his guy, Breida for no gain (-1,+5) JOE B PLAY, even though no one else on the Bills O line got any push and Ford's guy did not make the tackle

2nd and Goal, NO 6 - Ford pulls and seals right side on fake sweep to Breida, Josh to Knox on the other side for a TD (+1,+6)

Bills 2nd possession

1st and 10, BUF 27 - Ford RB left, pushes his guy just enough to miss the tackle on Breida for 5 (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 5, BUF 32 - Ford double teams his guy with Morse 3 yards upfield, Breida for 3 (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

3rd and 2, BUF 35 - Ford combo PB passes guy to Morse, then moves to help Williams, but ends up with air, Josh scramble FD (+1,+7) JOE B PLAY

1st and 10, BUF 38 - Ford PB down the line, Williams gives up pressure to Onyemata, Josh throws it into the ground at Knox's feet (+1,+8)

2nd and 10, BUF 38 - Ford holds his block strongly at LOS, driving 99 to the ground, toss to Breida snuffed out for a loss of 3 when Knox misses a block (+1,+9)

3rd and 13, BUF 35 - 74 combo PB with Morse, Williams gives up the sack, low hit on Josh, no call (in fairness, refs didn't call the low hit on QB in the pocket all night, at least 4 that I counted), Bills forced to punt (+1,+10)

Bills 3rd possession

1st and 10, BUF 46 - 74 RB block straight ahead, Josh complete to Diggs for 7, not sure why this wasn't ineligible downfield (+1,+11)

2nd and 3, NO 47 - 74 RB, thrown aside, Motor for 1, first play I've seen where Ford's guy made the tackle (-1,+10) JOE B PLAY, definitely

3rd and 2, NO 46 - 74 pulls, Josh on the nekkid bootleg to Gabe for 26 FD (0,+10)

1st and 10, NO 20 - 74 PB, Josh to Knox for 1 (+1,+11)

2nd and 9, NO 19 - 74 PB, Josh to Brieda on the circle route for 7 (+1,+12)

3rd and 2, NO 12 - 74 PB, combos to Morse then goes outside to help Williams, Dawkins let 55 go for some reason, and he gets the sack, 91 tries to turn Josh into a Pez dispenser, no call (+1,+13)

Bills 4th possession

Bates is in for Ford, The Report come back when Ford is in again.

Bates goes out and Jamil Douglas is in!

Josh throws the bad INT.

Bills 5th possession

1st and 10, BUF 49 - Ford is back, PB, Josh complete to Beas for 9 (+1,+14)

2nd and 1, NO 42 - 74 RB straight ahead, drives his guy 3 yards, then passes him off and drives an LB at the 2nd level a few more yards, Motor for FD (+1,+15)

1st and 10, NO 40 - 74 PB, Josh to Motor for 4 (+1,+16)

2nd and 6, NO 36 - 74 PB's air, Josh scramble for 3 (0,+16)  JOE B PLAY

3rd and 3, NO 33 - 74 PB, takes a hands to the face, no call, Josh to Sanders for 17 OB, refs ran the clock anyway, which made no sense (+1,+17)

1st and 10, NO 16 - 74 PB, knocks #5 on his ass, Williams gives up pressure to 94, who was Offside, Josh into the ground, luckily Motor was somewhat in the vicinity (+1,+18)

1st and 5, NO 11 - 74 PB's air, Josh to Sanders for 9 (0,+18) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 1, NO 7 - 74 PB, lets his guy go, Josh looks to screen to Breida, but he ran right with Beas and Knox on the misdirection, causing ineligible man downfield, erasing the TD throw to Knox.  Breida would spend much of the 2nd half on the pines for his *****up (0,+18)

2nd and 6, NO 12 - 74 combo PB with Morse, then slides to Williams, but too late to prevent The pressure that tipped Josh's arm for the INT (0,+18) JOE B PLAY, he'll likely blame Ford for being late to help Williams instead of downgrading Williams for getting pwned yet again by 94.

First half observations

Ford again had a solid first half, with good run and pass blocking.  I didn't credit him with giving up any pressures, but that first play where he got bull rushed was probably one in Joe B's book.  I tried hard to see where Joe B would downgrade Ford, and I flagged 12 plays where I felt he might do that.  I'm guessing that the plays where Ford is blocking air, Joe B wants him to abandon that gap and help either Morse or Williams (Williams needs A LOT of help tonight).  If I was a DC I would give Ford air to block, then sneak a stunt in the hole once he moves outside, or maybe a delayed blitzer.  Based on the last game and the first half, I'm not getting the Ford hate.  He's not getting beat on every down, he's not a turnstile in pass blocking, and the men he blocks don't get pressures, sacks, or tackles.  I saw the first tackle from a guy he blocked in the first half.  I'll keep track of that stat as well the rest of the game.

Bills 6th possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 74 pushed into backfield, blocks left down LOS, Motor runs left for -1 (-1,+17)  JOE B PLAY, even though the whole OL was in the backfield.

2nd and 11, BUF 24 - 74 RB straight ahead, Motor goes outside Ford for 4 (+1,+18)

3rd and 7, BUF 28 - 74 PB, passes off to Singletary, then searches for someone to help, Josh scramble for FD (+1,+19) JOE B PLAY, since Ford ended up blocking air

1st and 10, BUF 38 - 74 blocks down, Josh quick to Beas for 7 (+1,+20)

2nd and 3, BUF 45 - 74 pulls and has a good trap block, Josh designed run for 1 (0,+20)

3rd and 2, BUF 46 - 74 combo block, pushes his guy to the ground, Josh to Beas FD (+1,+21)

1st and 10, NO 40 - 74 pushed into backfield, pulls the guy down by his jersey, no call, Motor for 10 (-1,+20)  Clear holding that he got away with and a really bad play by Ford.

1st and 10, NO 30 - 74 passes his guy off to set up a screen, but his guy pressures Josh into throwing the ball at Motor's feet INC, and also takes Josh down low after the ball is gone, no call (-1,+19)  Two bad plays in a row by Ford, the haterz going wild.....

2nd and 10, NO 30 - 74 bull rushed by 99 and ends up a yard away from Josh, DPI for Lattimore on Diggs, FD (0,+19)  JOE B PLAY, for the bull rush

1st and 10, NO 20 - 74 fights to a draw on the LOS, but continues the block as Motor blows past his guy for 15 (+1,+20)

1st and Goal, NO 5 - 74 stands up his guy at the LOS, Motor for 0 (-1,+19)

2nd and Goal, NO 5 - 74 PB, Allen to "Can You" Diggs "It" for the TD (+1,+20)

Bills 7th possession

1st and 10, BUF 47 - 74 PB, Josh to Gabe for 20 and FD (+1,+21)

1st and 10, NO 33 - 74 blocks LB at 2nd level, but Motor hit for -5 (0,+21)

2nd and 15, NO 37 - 74 again blocking air, moves to Williams later, Josh scrambles for 9 (0,+21)  JOE B PLAY

3rd and 6, NO 28 - 74 blocks air, but then picks up late blitzer, Josh to Beas for 4 (+1,+22)

4th and 2, NO 26 - 74 blocks his man to the ground, Josh rolls and hits Knox for the TD (+1,+23)

Bills 8th possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 74 PB, Josh to Diggs for 5 (+1,+24)

2nd and 5, BUF 30 - 74 pushes his guy 3 yards upfield, Motor for FD (+1,+25)

1st and 10, BUF 36 - 74 PB, Josh rolls out for 3 (+1,+26)

2nd and 7, BUF 39 - 74 and interior OL PB by pushing upfield, Josh to Diggs for 6, would love to know again why this isn't ineligible downfield (+1,+27)

3rd and inches, BUF 45 - 74 PB by pushing upfield, Josh to Diggs INC (+1,+28)

4th and puss, BUF 45 - Bills line up, NO timeout, we try puss play to pull them offside, burn a TO instead of taking the DOG

Bills 9th possession

1st and 10, BUF 49 - 74 PB, josh hits Diggs for 28 (+1,+29)

1st and 10, NO 23 - 74 good RB , Motor for 1 over left side (0,+29)

2nd and 9, NO 22 - Breida checks in for first time since first half, 74 passes his guy off, tries to get LB at 2nd level, but misses, Breida cut down hard in the backfield for -1 (-1,+28)

3rd and 10, NO 23 - 74 combo blocks 93 with Morse, then 74 gets to 2nd level, but no one to block as Breida outruns everyone to the EZ (0,+28)

Bills 10th possession

1st and 10, NO 44 - 74 stands up his man and pushes him upfield, Motor for 4 in behind him (+1,+29)

2nd and 6, NO 40 - Stretch play, 74 slow to pick up NT, as Morse pulled, NT missed tackle on Motor for 3 (-1,+28)  First time I've seen Ford beaten cleanly on a reach block, definite bad play for him

3rd and 3, NO 37 - 74 stood up at LOS, Motor spun around for -2 (0,+28)

4th and puss, NO 39 - This time McD doesn't burn a TO, takes the DOG, and punts

Conclusions

1.  While Ford was OK in this game, I thought he played better against the Colts.  He won more one-on-one battles last week.  He had more -1 plays against the Saints than he did against the Colts.  He did not give up a sack for the second week in a row, and gave up only 3 pressures, two of which were borderline, as he was still between his man and JA, and the third was on a screen that Josh couldn't execute.

2.  I'm not sure where Joe B will rate Ford this week, but if he gives Ford a lower grade than either Williams or Dawkins, then the fix is in.  They were both terrible today, as all the pressure and sacks came from the outside.  I found 16 plays where I would expect joe B's view to differ from mine.  The main thing I see is some pass blocking plays where no one comes in Ford's direction, so he ends up blocking air.  I heard that one of Joe B's critiques is that Ford is slow to recognize that and combo to another player.  Possible, so please let me know if that is your beef with Cody Ford.

3.  When Ford gets leverage, he mauls guys.  He had at least four plays where he knocked his assignment on his ass or got him down on the ground.

4.  As with Edmunds, I'm just not seeing the evidence that Cody Ford is as terrible as everyone seems to think he is.  If you disagree, tell me which plays you disagree with.  Instead of just posting a rose colored glasses meme, come back with where you think I'm going wrong.  I'd like to discuss this issue in detail, because I am not seeing that Ford is a turnstile, or unable to run block.  Please help me understand the hate, because I'm simply not seeing it on the tape. 

74 grades overall:

Jagoffs - D- (from Jagoffs highlight tape on YouTube, so it will be skewed negative, but more bad plays from Ford in this limited highlight tape than I've seen in Colts and Saints games combined, thanks again to @FireChans)

Colts - A-  

Saints - B

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Shocked 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 11

Thanks again for another detailed analysis Freddie!

The guy can clearly play, it's just a matter of him staying the course and putting in the work at practice.

Baker Mayfield was the number 1 draft pick and Cody was his guard in an Oklahoma team that only just lost to Georgia in the final 4 - he was not a dud guard then and I don't believe he is one now.

I made the mistake of writing Edmunds off a little early, I won't be repeating the same mistake with Ford. We don't need him to be all-pro, we just need him to "do his 1/11th".   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'm onboard with your grades as I went through every play early yesterday.

Makes me wonder what happens when Feliciano & Brown come back.

If the entire line graded at 'B' every week, we'd be in pretty good shape for line play.

" I heard that one of Joe B's critiques is that Ford is slow to recognize that and combo to another player. "

He may be getting coached to 'count' and account for stunts/delayed blitz.  No way for us or Joe B. to know.

(Whoop -- just read where you mentioned that too!)

Edited by hemma
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Good analysis Freddie.  I'll rewatch game with Ford in mind.  Bills fans had high expectations for Ford since the Bills traded up to get him in 2nd round and Beane said he was an OT.  

I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the OL in general but watching Breida hit the holes on some of those run plays makes me think the Bills need a better RB.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wouldn’t mind you looking back at Ford during the redskins game because Daaron Payne beat him like a drum. Seems like it happened every play. 

I think Ford is very inconsistent. But he tends to perform on the poor quality side than the good more often than not. You can’t rely on him. 

IMO he’s no better than a backup. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe he benefits from tighter line splits.  

That's what I see, too.  We were tight against the saints.  That plus the noise may have accounted for some of the pressure off of the edge.  But it made a lot of sense with Breida's speed in the game plan and the reluctance to have another game wrecked by pressure in Josh's face.  

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Ford Report is back for its second installment.  I will state what I see on a play, then assign a point system -1, 0, +1, and keep a running total.  The lingering question is whether Ford sucks as much as many here think he does.  Joe Buscaglia gave Ford a D+ last week, while I saw A-.  I will be looking for plays that might justify Joe B's negative grades, because I believe his confirmation bias will lead him to grade Ford low just as a reflex.  Let's go to the tape.

Bills 1st possession

1st and 10, BUF 35 - 74 is bull rushed to within two yards of Josh, as was Morse, one of the posters in the GDT went nuts over this play, but I thought Ford held up well, Josh complete to Diggs FD (+1,+1)  JOE B PLAY

1st and 10, BUF 49 - 74 run block, passed off his man, went to 2nd level but no one there to block, Breida for 6 (0,+1) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 4, NO 45 - 74 pulls and traps 55, driving him 4 yards downfield and on his ass, Josh designed run for FD (+1,+2)

1st and 10, NO 39 - 74 PB, but again driven to within 2 yards of Josh, complete to Diggs for 9(+1,+3) JOE B PLAY

1st and 10, NO 21 - 74 run block, straight ahead, Breida off Ford's shoulder for 5 (+1,+5)

2nd and 5, NO 16 - 74 run block, seals off inside, Motor runs left for 2 (+1,+6)

3rd and 3, NO 14 - 74 run block straight ahead, thrown aside, looks for 2nd level block, finds nothing, Josh designed sweep, FD (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

1st and Goal, NO 6 - 74 straight run block, fails to turn his guy, Breida for no gain (-1,+5) JOE B PLAY, even though no one else on the Bills O line got any push and Ford's guy did not make the tackle

2nd and Goal, NO 6 - Ford pulls and seals right side on fake sweep to Breida, Josh to Knox on the other side for a TD (+1,+6)

Bills 2nd possession

1st and 10, BUF 27 - Ford RB left, pushes his guy just enough to miss the tackle on Breida for 5 (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

2nd and 5, BUF 32 - Ford double teams his guy with Morse 3 yards upfield, Breida for 3 (0,+6) JOE B PLAY

3rd and 2, BUF 35 - Ford combo PB passes guy to Morse, then moves to help Williams, but ends up with air, Josh scramble FD (+1,+7) JOE B PLAY

1st and 10, BUF 38 - Ford PB down the line, Williams gives up pressure to Onyemata, Josh throws it into the ground at Knox's feet (+1,+8)

2nd and 10, BUF 38 - Ford holds his block strongly at LOS, driving 99 to the ground, toss to Breida snuffed out for a loss of 3 when Knox misses a block (+1,+9)

3rd and 13, BUF 35 - 74 combo PB with Morse, Williams gives up the sack, low hit on Josh, no call (in fairness, refs didn't call the low hit on QB in the pocket all night, at least 4 that I counted), Bills forced to punt (+1,+10)

Bills 3rd possession

1st and 10, BUF 46 - 74 RB block straight ahead, Josh complete to Diggs for 7, not sure why this wasn't ineligible downfield (+1,+11)

2nd and 3, NO 47 - 74 RB, thrown aside, Motor for 1, first play I've seen where Ford's guy made the tackle (-1,+10) JOE B PLAY, definitely

3rd and 2, NO 46 - 74 pulls, Josh on the nekkid bootleg to Gabe for 26 FD (0,+10)

3rd and 2, NO 12 - 74 PB, combos to Morse then goes outside to help Williams, Dawkins let 55 go for some reason, and he gets the sack, 91 tries to turn Josh into a Pez dispenser, no call (+1,+13)

Bills 4th possession

Josh throws the bad INT.

Bills 5th possession

2nd and 1, NO 42 - 74 RB straight ahead, drives his guy 3 yards, then passes him off and drives an LB at the 2nd level a few more yards, Motor for FD (+1,+15)

3rd and 3, NO 33 - 74 PB, takes a hands to the face, no call, Josh to Sanders for 17 OB, refs ran the clock anyway, which made no sense (+1,+17)

1st and 10, NO 16 - 74 PB, knocks #5 on his ass, Williams gives up pressure to 94, who was Offside, Josh into the ground, luckily Motor was somewhat in the vicinity (+1,+18)

2nd and 1, NO 7 - 74 PB, lets his guy go, Josh looks to screen to Breida, but he ran right with Beas and Knox on the misdirection, causing ineligible man downfield, erasing the TD throw to Knox.  Breida would spend much of the 2nd half on the pines for his *****up (0,+18)

2nd and 6, NO 12 - 74 combo PB with Morse, then slides to Williams, but too late to prevent The pressure that tipped Josh's arm for the INT (0,+18) JOE B PLAY, he'll likely blame Ford for being late to help Williams instead of downgrading Williams for getting pwned yet again by 94.

First half observations

Ford again had a solid first half, with good run and pass blocking.  I didn't credit him with giving up any pressures, but that first play where he got bull rushed was probably one in Joe B's book.  I tried hard to see where Joe B would downgrade Ford, and I flagged 12 plays where I felt he might do that.  I'm guessing that the plays where Ford is blocking air, Joe B wants him to abandon that gap and help either Morse or Williams (Williams needs A LOT of help tonight).  If I was a DC I would give Ford air to block, then sneak a stunt in the hole once he moves outside, or maybe a delayed blitzer.  Based on the last game and the first half, I'm not getting the Ford hate.  He's not getting beat on every down, he's not a turnstile in pass blocking, and the men he blocks don't get pressures, sacks, or tackles.  I saw the first tackle from a guy he blocked in the first half.  I'll keep track of that stat as well the rest of the game.

Bills 6th possession

1st and 10, BUF 25 - 74 pushed into backfield, blocks left down LOS, Motor runs left for -1 (-1,+17)  JOE B PLAY, even though the whole OL was in the backfield.

2nd and 11, BUF 24 - 74 RB straight ahead, Motor goes outside Ford for 4 (+1,+18)

3rd and 7, BUF 28 - 74 PB, passes off to Singletary, then searches for someone to help, Josh scramble for FD (+1,+19) JOE B PLAY, since Ford ended up blocking air

2nd and 3, BUF 45 - 74 pulls and has a good trap block, Josh designed run for 1 (0,+20)

3rd and 2, BUF 46 - 74 combo block, pushes his guy to the ground, Josh to Beas FD (+1,+21)

1st and 10, NO 40 - 74 pushed into backfield, pulls the guy down by his jersey, no call, Motor for 10 (-1,+20)  Clear holding that he got away with and a really bad play by Ford.

1st and 10, NO 30 - 74 passes his guy off to set up a screen, but his guy pressures Josh into throwing the ball at Motor's feet INC, and also takes Josh down low after the ball is gone, no call (-1,+19)  Two bad plays in a row by Ford, the haterz going wild.....

2nd and 10, NO 30 - 74 bull rushed by 99 and ends up a yard away from Josh, DPI for Lattimore on Diggs, FD (0,+19)  JOE B PLAY, for the bull rush

1st and 10, NO 20 - 74 fights to a draw on the LOS, but continues the block as Motor blows past his guy for 15 (+1,+20)

Bills 7th possession

2nd and 15, NO 37 - 74 again blocking air, moves to Williams later, Josh scrambles for 9 (0,+21)  JOE B PLAY

3rd and 6, NO 28 - 74 blocks air, but then picks up late blitzer, Josh to Beas for 4 (+1,+22)

4th and 2, NO 26 - 74 blocks his man to the ground, Josh rolls and hits Knox for the TD (+1,+23)

Bills 8th possession

2nd and 7, BUF 39 - 74 and interior OL PB by pushing upfield, Josh to Diggs for 6, would love to know again why this isn't ineligible downfield (+1,+27)

4th and puss, BUF 45 - Bills line up, NO timeout, we try puss play to pull them offside, burn a TO instead of taking the DOG

Bills 9th possession

2nd and 9, NO 22 - Breida checks in for first time since first half, 74 passes his guy off, tries to get LB at 2nd level, but misses, Breida cut down hard in the backfield for -1 (-1,+28)

3rd and 10, NO 23 - 74 combo blocks 93 with Morse, then 74 gets to 2nd level, but no one to block as Breida outruns everyone to the EZ (0,+28)

Bills 10th possession

1st and 10, NO 44 - 74 stands up his man and pushes him upfield, Motor for 4 in behind him (+1,+29)

2nd and 6, NO 40 - Stretch play, 74 slow to pick up NT, as Morse pulled, NT missed tackle on Motor for 3 (-1,+28)  First time I've seen Ford beaten cleanly on a reach block, definite bad play for him

Conclusions

1.  While Ford was OK in this game, I thought he played better against the Colts.  He won more one-on-one battles last week.  He had more -1 plays against the Saints than he did against the Colts.  He did not give up a sack for the second week in a row, and gave up only 3 pressures, two of which were borderline, as he was still between his man and JA, and the third was on a screen that Josh couldn't execute.

2.  I'm not sure where Joe B will rate Ford this week, but if he gives Ford a lower grade than either Williams or Dawkins, then the fix is in.  They were both terrible today, as all the pressure and sacks came from the outside.  I found 16 plays where I would expect joe B's view to differ from mine.  The main thing I see is some pass blocking plays where no one comes in Ford's direction, so he ends up blocking air.  I heard that one of Joe B's critiques is that Ford is slow to recognize that and combo to another player.  Possible, so please let me know if that is your beef with Cody Ford.

3.  When Ford gets leverage, he mauls guys.  He had at least four plays where he knocked his assignment on his ass or got him down on the ground.

4.  As with Edmunds, I'm just not seeing the evidence that Cody Ford is as terrible as everyone seems to think he is.  If you disagree, tell me which plays you disagree with.  Instead of just posting a rose colored glasses meme, come back with where you think I'm going wrong.  I'd like to discuss this issue in detail, because I am not seeing that Ford is a turnstile, or unable to run block.  Please help me understand the hate, because I'm simply not seeing it on the tape

74 grades overall:

Colts - A-  

Saints - B

Please watch him play more than 2 games his whole career.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 1st possession

Bills 2nd possession

Bills 3rd possession

Bills 4th possession

Josh throws the bad INT.

Bills 5th possession

First half observations

Bills 6th possession

Bills 7th possession

Bills 8th possession

Bills 9th possession

Bills 10th possession

Conclusions

4.  As with Edmunds, I'm just not seeing the evidence that Cody Ford is as terrible as everyone seems to think he is.  If you disagree, tell me which plays you disagree with.  Instead of just posting a rose colored glasses meme, come back with where you think I'm going wrong.  I'd like to discuss this issue in detail, because I am not seeing that Ford is a turnstile, or unable to run block.  Please help me understand the hate, because I'm simply not seeing it on the tape. 

74 grades overall:

Colts - A-  

Saints - B

Thanks for doing this work.

As a fan, I watch the ball - not so much the line.  And  when the game is over, I read what my fellow fans have to say.  And, sadly, that's how I typically form my opinion about linemen.  So I was deeply in the Ford-Must-Go camp until reading your reports.  

I'm not yet in the Ford-Must-Start clique, but I am now keeping an open mind.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, VaMilBill said:

I wouldn’t mind you looking back at Ford during the redskins game because Daaron Payne beat him like a drum. Seems like it happened every play. 

I think Ford is very inconsistent. But he tends to perform on the poor quality side than the good more often than not. You can’t rely on him. 

IMO he’s no better than a backup. 

I wish I could go back, but I can't.  It may be that Ford is no better than a backup.  But so far, he looks better than the tire fire that most on TBD are calling him.  I'll just continue to call them as I see them.  Thanks for reading.

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Maybe he benefits from tighter line splits.  

I'm not an OL coach, I just play one on TV.  I don't notice things like line splits, but you may be right.  What's the "normal" split and what were the Bills doing against the Saints?

@Freddie's Dead, I have to disagree with you on the statement you made saying Joe B has bias towards Ford, he doesn’t. At all. You should listen to his podcasts. Joe B is a fairly straight shooter from what I can tell and has given Ford credit when it’s due. The real and only opinion on Ford that matters is the coaching staff at this point. The fact he can’t crack the starting line after beginning the year there tells me all I need to know about Ford right now. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

@Freddie's Dead, I have to disagree with you on the statement you made saying Joe B has bias towards Ford, he doesn’t. At all. You should listen to his podcasts. Joe B is a fairly straight shooter from what I can tell and has given Ford credit when it’s due. The real and only opinion on Ford that matters is the coaching staff at this point. The fact he can’t crack the starting line after beginning the year there tells me all I need to know about Ford right now. 

The Joe B comments came from The Ford Report last week, where I graded him A-, and Joe B graded him D+.  Many people asked me about the discrepancy, and I can't explain it.  I tried to pick plays this week where I thought he might see it differently than I did, based on Joe's comments about Ford being slow to combo.  I'm interested to see his grades this week.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Nice job, OP. I have had an unnatural disgust whenever I see Ford in the game, but I’ve also wondered if he’s really as bad as I think. This helps, even if it’s not the same assessment as Joe B. He may also just be improving as the season goes on. Who knows, maybe a big part of it for him has been mental.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

The Joe B comments came from The Ford Report last week, where I graded him A-, and Joe B graded him D+.  Many people asked me about the discrepancy, and I can't explain it.  I tried to pick plays this week where I thought he might see it differently than I did, based on Joe's comments about Ford being slow to combo.  I'm interested to see his grades this week.

Yea, I appreciate the effort you are putting in on the breakdown. It is very detailed and can tell you put work into it. Thank you.

One take away for me from the discrepancy between how you and Joe B graded Ford is how hard it is to grade anyone, and in particular linemen when you don’t know the assignments for the play. As an outsider you can make assumptions based off first steps or how a play develops, but you both are assuming. 
It’s so hard to really get it “right”. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Go pull up the Jags game my dude.

Thanks for that suggestion.  I found a Jagoffs highlights video on YouTube, so I figured any good defensive plays would be on this vid.  Watching the Jagoffs highlights, I see that he gave up a sack to Bryan, a play where Ford was beaten cleanly, like a red-headed stepmule.  A really instructive play came later, where Ford did a combo with Morse, then JAX stunted into the hole left by Ford to give up a pressure on Josh (they also ran this stunt later in the game, Ford recognized the stunt and got off the combo block to nail the stunter, shows he can learn in-game).  It's a great explanation why Ford ends up blocking air, as he doesn't want a repeat of that play. 

A really bad play is the blitz from Jyles Mack where he gets in on JA, then JA throws an INT.  Another really bad play was the sack on 3rd and 7 where after Ford's initial pass block, 41 runs a stunt and blows right by Ford for the sack.

Final tally from the highlight reel, 3 pressures, 2 sacks.  It's not offset by all the good plays he had on the highlight reel. 

Jagoffs grade, based on limited highlight reel - D-

Thanks again, @FireChans 

Edited by Freddie's Dead

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yea, I appreciate the effort you are putting in on the breakdown. It is very detailed and can tell you put work into it. Thank you.

One take away for me from the discrepancy between how you and Joe B graded Ford is how hard it is to grade anyone, and in particular linemen when you don’t know the assignments for the play. As an outsider you can make assumptions based off first steps or how a play develops, but you both are assuming. 
It’s so hard to really get it “right”. 

In the Edmunds Report, I got into a discussion and tried to explain that we have no idea what the assignment is on any given play, so we can only go by what we see.  I was excoriated by the poster for "copping out".  I'm not a football coach, never played organized football.  Just trying to verify my own and others'  opinions on various players.  So it comes down to "You gonna believe me, or your lyin' eyes?"  😜

• Thank you (+1) 1

Maybe it is my confirmation bias but your assessment of Ford is the same as mine but we still differ on Edmunds.

As you did I saw Ford get knocked straight back in pass protection several times but did not let his man get past him. Its a repeated problem.  Not sure if Ford is just slow off the ball or is just not strong enough.  The fact that after getting pushed back he is able to anchor suggests to me he is just slow to get set.  Yes he doesn't give up a sack but the pocket is collapsed and makes it harder for Allen to step up.

All in all he is playing better than Boettger but I suspect they will keep Boettger at LH when Brown comes back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Maybe it is my confirmation bias but your assessment of Ford is the same as mine but we still differ on Edmunds.

As you did I saw Ford get knocked straight back in pass protection several times but did not let his man get past him. Its a repeated problem.  Not sure if Ford is just slow off the ball or is just not strong enough.  The fact that after getting pushed back he is able to anchor suggests to me he is just slow to get set.  Yes he doesn't give up a sack but the pocket is collapsed and makes it harder for Allen to step up.

All in all he is playing better than Boettger but I suspect they will keep Boettger at LH when Brown comes back.

That's a definite tendency in Ford's play, he's susceptible to the bull rush.  It looks to me like when he gets stood up, he loses leverage and can be overpowered, like happened multiple times in the JAX game.  I'd like to see more of Ford, but I suspect we'll see Williams/Brown at RG/RT when Brown is cleared.  I didn't focus in on Boettger, but I didn't see a lot of middle pressure in the Saints game, it all came from outside.

On Edmunds, I get that there will be no meeting of the minds.  I'm satisfied that he is used primarily in coverage and not as a run-stopper.  But I understand the other side that wants more from him.  Dave Mason time :D

Edited by Freddie's Dead

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 1st possession

Bills 2nd possession

Bills 3rd possession

Bills 4th possession

Josh throws the bad INT.

Bills 5th possession

First half observations

Bills 6th possession

Bills 7th possession

Bills 8th possession

Bills 9th possession

Bills 10th possession

Conclusions

74 grades overall:

Jagoffs - D- (from Jagoffs highlight tape on YouTube, so it will be skewed negative, but more bad plays from Ford in this limited highlight tape than I've seen in Colts and Saints games combined, thanks again to @FireChans)

Colts - A-  

Saints - B

This is great. 

i have gone back and watched a decent amount of the game. I would go out on a limb to say Ford looked very good. Had some really nice run blocks and held up in pass protection.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Bills 1st possession

Bills 2nd possession

Bills 3rd possession

Bills 4th possession

Josh throws the bad INT.

Bills 5th possession

First half observations

Bills 6th possession

Bills 7th possession

Bills 8th possession

Bills 9th possession

Bills 10th possession

Conclusions

74 grades overall:

Colts - A-  

Saints - B

Excellent work and confirmed my initial reaction after the game that Ford was pretty decent.  

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

while I appreciate your effort - I completely disagree with your analysis. i have not rewatched the saints game - i did go back and started to review the colts game because your post really made me think about ford. what i saw was cody ford was completely inept in the first quarter. he was flagged, completely whiffed on some blocks and was overpowered on others. 

i would like nothing more than ford to be good - but i watched him in person in jacksonville and with the tape review from

last week - we need to find much better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/27/2021 at 8:29 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

That's a definite tendency in Ford's play, he's susceptible to the bull rush.  It looks to me like when he gets stood up, he loses leverage and can be overpowered, like happened multiple times in the JAX game.  I'd like to see more of Ford, but I suspect we'll see Williams/Brown at RG/RT when Brown is cleared.  I didn't focus in on Boettger, but I didn't see a lot of middle pressure in the Saints game, it all came from outside.

On Edmunds, I get that there will be no meeting of the minds.  I'm satisfied that he is used primarily in coverage and not as a run-stopper.  But I understand the other side that wants more from him.  Dave Mason time :D

If I wanted my Linebacker to do 100% coverage work I'd just draft another tall strong safety. And this -1/0/+1 analytics won't convince me Ford is anything but a decent backup. Neither Edmunds or Ford are worthy of their traded up draft position. Sorry but my eye balls put me closer in the Joe B camp.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

If I wanted my Linebacker to do 100% coverage work I'd just draft another tall strong safety. And this -1/0/+1 analytics won't convince me Ford is anything but a decent backup. Neither Edmunds or Ford are worthy of their traded up draft position. Sorry but my eye balls put me closer in the Joe B camp.

The Edmunds Report taught me that certain posters have already made up their minds, and that no analysis was going to change it.  I'm doing this so I can make my own conclusions, and if it helps others, so be it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, vincec said:

The All-22 gave ford a much lower grade. This seems to be a pattern with outside evaluators coming up with lower grades for both Ford and Edmunds. What do you think is the explanation?

By "the All-22" do you mean Joe Buscaglia?  My explanation is that Joe Buscaglia is not transparent about how he grades, I'm not sure how well he understands the nuances of protection schemes and assignments varying with defensive personnel, and Joe B's grades frequently don't make sense to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I'm confused. Being thrown aside is a 0?

Ford was not knocked down, or taken out, but continued to the 2nd level.  Ultimately his guy did not tackle or stop Josh from a FD.  From my perspective, a neutral play, but that's why I flagged it as a JOE B play, because you could skew it negative.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.