Can we discuss our premium defensive draft picks?

McBean

Epenesa, Rousseau, Basham, Eddie O..

Butler and Addison signings. 

What happened today can’t happen whenever you’ve spent this much on that side of the ball. To make things worse, we have neglected our offensive weapons.

I’m not going to freak out over today. It was ugly. I still think we go deep into the playoffs, but very disappointing seeing us get bullied like we were today folks.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 7
  • Dislike 2

Just now, BillsEnthusiast said:

We designed our team to kill quarterbacks. That's what they're good at. When we have mosnter RBs, especially with no Star, we simply can't compete. 

But we aren’t good at killing QBs. Seems like none of these guys are good at applying pressure consistently 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I tend to agree for as much credit as Beane gets, if he doesn’t hit on Allen this team would be terrible. They are way to finesse of a team on both sides. 

I get that to an extent that the game has become more finesse but man they get worked by teams that have any physicality. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

OP…don’t even get me started on this. People don’t wanna hear it, even if it’s true. 

2 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I tend to agree for as much credit as Beane gets, if he doesn’t hit on Allen this team would be terrible. They are way to finesse of a team on both sides. 

I get that to an extent that the game has become more finesse but man they get worked by teams that have any physicality. 

Ding ding ding.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Number 1 defense across the board entering today.  Suddenly now its terrible according to this thread while cleverly over looking that we were missing 2 critical players on defense in Edmunds and ESPECIALLY Star (against a run dominant team) and also continuously shot ourselves in the foot on both sides of the ball with bad penalties and turnovers?

Today was way more about not having our size in the middle of the field, dumb penalties, and dumb mental errors.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Believe they had the highest pressure rate in the league heading into today’s game.

I don’t buy into pressure too much. We watch the games every week. Are the bills really effective at rushing the passer? I’d say no

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Number 1 defense across the board entering today.  Suddenly now its terrible according to this thread while cleverly over looking that we were missing 2 critical players on defense in Edmunds and ESPECIALLY Star (against a run dominant team) and also continuously shot ourselves in the foot on both sides of the ball with bad penalties and turnovers.  

Come on man…we put a lot of stats up against crap teams. It doesn’t take a genius to see that. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Number 1 defense across the board entering today.  Suddenly now its terrible according to this thread while cleverly over looking that we were missing 2 critical players on defense in Edmunds and ESPECIALLY Star (against a run dominant team) and also continuously shot ourselves in the foot on both sides of the ball with bad penalties and turnovers.  

They didn't even put up a fight, sorry 2 guys going down and it crumbles... Ok, then the depth is atrocious, either way it points to coach/ GM

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Number 1 defense across the board entering today.  Suddenly now its terrible according to this thread while cleverly over looking that we were missing 2 critical players on defense in Edmunds and ESPECIALLY Star (against a run dominant team) and also continuously shot ourselves in the foot on both sides of the ball with bad penalties and turnovers?

Today was way more about not having our size in the middle of the field, dumb penalties, and dumb mental errors.

god forbid a rotational DL and average at BEST MLB dont play. go look at baltimore. they still win with massive casualties

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, McBean said:

What happened today can’t happen whenever you’ve spent this much on that side of the ball. To make things worse, we have neglected our offensive weapons.

I’m not going to freak out over today. It was ugly. I still think we go deep into the playoffs, but very disappointing seeing us get bullied like we were today folks.

I don’t think the Bills go deep in the playoffs. I really don’t believe they will even make the playoffs.

A win against a struggling at the time Chiefs team, the Fish twice, Jets, Texans and Washington.

The Bills are a paper tiger that need a lot of work. 

Just now, balln said:

god forbid a rotational DL and average at BEST MLB dont play. go look at baltimore. they still win with massive casualties

Just now, 727Bills said:

They didn't even put up a fight, sorry 2 guys going down and it crumbles... Ok, then the depth is atrocious, either way it points to coach/ GM

Just now, whorlnut said:

Come on man…we put a lot of stats up against crap teams. It doesn’t take a genius to see that. 

All 3 of you need to pay more attention when Star is on the field.  He is substantially more important than you are giving him credit for, and it shows on the field and on the stat sheet for this defense.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

But we aren’t good at killing QBs. Seems like none of these guys are good at applying pressure consistently 

They actually are good at getting pressure, by whatever metric they use to define that, but they definitely don’t “kill QB’s”.  

Bizarre issue they’ve had since McDermott/Frazier took over the defense.   They generate pressure but struggle getting home. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

All 3 of you need to pay more attention when Star is on the field.  He is substantially more important than you are giving him credit for, and it shows on the field and on the stat sheet for this defense.

oh im not coming down on star. Im saying its the NFL you will be out with good players from time to time. THE BILLS DEPTH should not produce a 5 TD and 200 yard day RB against

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Star didn't play all last year and I don't remember a game arguably this bad from start to finish.  Even in the Titans game last year they showed some life early in the game and held Henry in check.

• Disagree 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Believe they had the highest pressure rate in the league heading into today’s game.

Spare me all these useless stats.... #1 defense,  17 games without a 1st qtr score, etc............ The only stat that counts is your won/loss record and ours is getting worse, not better.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Thank you it’s like most don’t watch the games, we haven’t stopped a good team all year, and haven’t beat a good team either. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

They actually are good at getting pressure, by whatever metric they use to define that, but they definitely don’t “kill QB’s”.  

Bizarre issue they’ve had since McDermott/Frazier took over the defense.   They generate pressure but struggle getting home. 

yea they do NOT have a beat your man 1 on 1 off the ball and get the qb down player. not many teams do but their sacks come from confusing qb and solid coverage sacks

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 727Bills said:

Star didn't play all last year and I don't remember a game arguably this bad from start to finish.  Even in the Titans game last year they showed some life early in the game and held Henry in check.

Our defense was a lot worse last year, not sure how you dont remember that

9 minutes ago, 727Bills said:

So true if your this bad because two guys are down, you better pay them what ever they want 

22 minutes ago, McBean said:

We don't let them loose.  Lesile Frazier, thinks he has the Eagles of 1991.

25 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

We designed our team to kill quarterbacks. That's what they're good at. When we have mosnter RBs, especially with no Star, we simply can't compete. 

As well as Edmunds. People keep under rating or going after him.  He is a great tackler as well. The only guy can tackle Derrick Henry.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

As well as Edmunds. People keep under rating or going after him.  He is a great tackler as well. The only guy can tackle Derrick Henry.

Edmunds is great. This game proved it when we had no one there to light up Wentz on that 3rd and 10. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, McBean said:

Don’t forget drafting Harrison Phillips and signing Star

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

okay Star is important to the run D but what happens when he’s hurt or COVID. Are we just supposed to accept that we’re gonna be terrible at run defense without him. Why hasn’t a 1T been drafted or signed to backup Star to be that guy. Vernon Butler is huge but he’s a 3 tech, Oliver a 3 Tech. The only other guy is Phillips who is bad. Then we move DEs down inside who are obviously undersized. 

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

#1 defense?

Come on man we haven’t played anybody.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Star being out hurt alot today. Butler and Phillips are just not that good. Addison is incredibly overpaid. I was hoping Groot and AJ would be playing better? With all that said we MUST commit to a massive OL overhaul this spring. No more finesse. We need maulers and road graders like Indy.

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Star being out hurt alot today. Butler and Phillips are just not that good. Addison is incredibly overpaid. I was hoping Groot and AJ would be playing better? With all that said we MUST commit to a massive OL overhaul this spring. No more finesse. We need maulers and road graders like Indy.

The league always reverts back to equilibrium. 

Rams and Chiefs scoring 50 on each other a couple years ago? Design your team to stop high flying passing offenses. 

Teams designed to stop said offenses? Revert to a bruising offensive attack. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Do you really believe this? They were #1 because of the terrible QBs they played. It was all a fraud and many of us knew it and posted it. Tenn and Indy scored on something like 80% of their drives. That is the true defense. Not the mirage you saw in New Jersey.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.