Basham evaluation against Jets

Ethan in Cleveland

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

Suspicious Meme GIF by MOODMAN

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I legit wanted to see if I missed him on the field earlier in the game. I thought he would get a decent amount of snaps at DT. 

Look at him and compare him to Hughes, Rousseau, Addison, and Epenesa. Basham has a completely different body type. 

I wanted to see him get more plays to see what he can do. Can't criticize a guy positively or negatively until they let him play.

Epenesa had a completely different body type too, in his first year. So did Bruce Smith. Where you start is not where you finish.

I’ve heard we have the highest pressure rate in the NFL, and if true, I don’t see the reason to be questioning the Basham pick. He may, or may not, pan out but it’s too early to be questioning the pick in my opinion. They have a plan, and I will trust their plan until they give me reason to doubt them. 

Time will tell. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Can't criticize a guy positively or negatively until they let him play.

Then why did you call this thread an "evaluation", and criticize him in your original post??

As was said earlier, this is more of a "redshirt" year for Basham, in the same way that last year was a "redshirt" year for Epenesa.

The defense didn't really have much negatives, they had a little bit of a vulnerability against the run for a quarter of the game (and this was without Star their best interior run defender). All players in my opinion ranged from fantastic to solid. The Jets have a bad offense the Bills took advantage of it and only let up 3 points when it counted. 

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

He’s not the speed rusher type of DE.  He’s more of the Shaq Lawson type.  Good at run support and an average pass rusher.  

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Your evaluation is … based on judging his body? Is this sorority rush week? Maybe circle his “problem areas” and then circle back  

I don’t want to see that video.  Ethan and Basham starring in a sorority video 🤢. 🤮

7 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I legit wanted to see if I missed him on the field earlier in the game. I thought he would get a decent amount of snaps at DT. 

Look at him and compare him to Hughes, Rousseau, Addison, and Epenesa. Basham has a completely different body type. 

I wanted to see him get more plays to see what he can do. Can't criticize a guy positively or negatively until they let him play.

There’s no way you’re a Cardiologist.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I miss anything?

Still early but Beane really should have used that choice on a guard and there were plenty available who got drafted after Basham and are starting for their teams.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Still early but Beane really should have used that choice on a guard and there were plenty available who got drafted after Basham and are starting for their teams.

I have to agree. Beane was desperate to improve the pass rush. So he drafted two kids praying that one of them would pan out. Luckily Groot seems to be the real deal. In any other year Boogie would be crucified on here for his utter lack of production. Again, maybe luckily, the other veteran DEs have stepped it up in 2021. 

29 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I have to agree. Beane was desperate to improve the pass rush. So he drafted two kids praying that one of them would pan out. Luckily Groot seems to be the real deal. In any other year Boogie would be crucified on here for his utter lack of production. Again, maybe luckily, the other veteran DEs have stepped it up in 2021. 

Agreed. He is still a rookie, so let's cut him some slack. Only way to get better is to keep playing and working to improve. But, drafting him was probably still a good move as we needed more pass rushers. Hard to get everything you want in the first two rounds of the draft!

10 hours ago, Special K said:

Then why did you call this thread an "evaluation", and criticize him in your original post??

As was said earlier, this is more of a "redshirt" year for Basham, in the same way that last year was a "redshirt" year for Epenesa.

Poorly titled. Like I said I was excited to see him play and I just wasn't sure if he got on the field earlier than the fourth quarter.

I thought he would get some snaps subbing for Oliver who was a beast today

• Like (+1) 4

11 hours ago, Augie said:

I’ve heard we have the highest pressure rate in the NFL, and if true, I don’t see the reason to be questioning the Basham pick.

Some would say that’s a great reason to question the Basham pick.

35 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Poorly titled. Like I said I was excited to see him play and I just wasn't sure if he got on the field earlier than the fourth quarter.

I thought he would get some snaps subbing for Oliver who was a beast today

This is how forums work. People pile on, so instead of having a conversation you have 10 straight posts of people criticizing the same exact thing. But if you had said something positive, like he is in great shape and was fast, you’d be getting likes and positive reactions.

Aside from his weight, he really wasn’t a force at all. He played a little over 30% of the snaps and had 1 tackle (for a loss). Rarely saw him around the ball.

I think there is a reason why he has been inactive most weeks.

13 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I miss anything?

nope, but Bean missed drafting Humphry (OL) over this 2nd round bust.  Really, Bean is awful in the 2nd round.  it's bizarre.  Just trade out of those! 

10 hours ago, Special K said:

not sure Epenesa's redshirt year worked out too well.  He looks average at best this year.  Just let the fans pick the 2nd round or trade for an established vet.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.