Basham evaluation against Jets

Ethan in Cleveland

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

• Eyeroll 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DJB said:

This is why I come to TBD for this type of in depth analysis 

I think if you are finely tuned, you will likely see this as some thinly veiled Beane bashing.  We have a position with serious depth, but one that needs to get younger and cheaper, so that is a bad thing when a new guy isn’t necessarily an instant star. Yes, somewhat confusing.  Having a lot of talent and not being desperate to stick new guys in before they are ready is now a bad thing. 

I know, it takes some getting used to, but that’s what you get for expecting serious analysis. We mostly get……..this.    🤷‍♀️

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

From what I saw Basham barely saw the field. I think he got a few reps at DE in the fourth quarter.  Butler, Phillips, and Oliver took the majority of the DT snaps. Obada and Epenesa were on the field quite a bit.  Basham looks stocky (I’m trying to be kind but he looks thick around the waist) and slow. Doesn’t look like a NFL 4-3 DE. 
Did I miss anything?

You're just as bad at evaluating football talent as you are at diagnosing foot injuries, "doctor".

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I miss anything?

I think when people say ”player evaluation” this is typically not what they mean.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

So he’s fat… that’s your evaluation?  I saw him make a few tackles toward the end of the game - including one for a loss

Exactly.  We don't necessarily need him this year anyway. But he has flashed some nice play. I'm waiting til 2023 to label him a bust. 

Addison/Hughes aren't going to be around much longer.

McD with his rotations, the pick makes sense. Let's see how he develops! 

44 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I miss anything?

Other than the fact that this isn’t an evaluation of basham?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did I miss anything?

Yes - where is the evaluation? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I legit wanted to see if I missed him on the field earlier in the game. I thought he would get a decent amount of snaps at DT. 

Look at him and compare him to Hughes, Rousseau, Addison, and Epenesa. Basham has a completely different body type. 

I wanted to see him get more plays to see what he can do. Can't criticize a guy positively or negatively until they let him play.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think if you are finely tuned, you will likely see this as some thinly veiled Beane bashing.  We have a position with serious depth, so that is a bad thing when a new guy isn’t necessarily an instant star. Yes, somewhat confusing.  Having a lot of talent and not being desperate to stick new guys in before they are ready is now a bad thing. 

I know, it takes some getting used to, but that’s what you get for expecting serious analysis. We mostly get……..this.    🤷‍♀️

Considering the posters history.. Exactly. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.