I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Split with NE and you have 4 losses.. I can easily see you losing 2 of 3 to TB, Indy, and NO. 

NO already lost to the Giants and Falcons at home. Their QB situation isn't the greatest right now. I am not saying the Saints game is gimme but the Bills should be favored to win that one. 

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Yawn.. the fallback to every fan who hates the Pats. Mind you do any sort of research and you see how dumb Spygate and Deflategate were by the NFL.

Mind you he was found guilty of cheating. Name me one other NFL HC coach who has that distinction? 
Just make sure you come around when your team losses. I didn’t see much of you last year. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I don’t expect to sweep the Pats this year. They are a sound football team and no one prepares better than Belichick. Also no team has ever swept their division two years in a row. Not even the Pats during their dominance. 

Vrabel does.  He has beaten NE the last three times they have played and once was in NE for Brady's last game as a Pat.  Nov 28th Vrabel heads back to NE again to face the Pats. If TN wins that Pat game they are lock for the one seed.  

41 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Split with NE and you have 4 losses.. I can easily see you losing 2 of 3 to TB, Indy, and NO

I don't think the Bills will split with the Pats***...we'll take 'em both.  And it's more likely the Bills win 2 of those 3 than lose 2 of 3.

The Pats*** are playing well and many of us predicted they would be a team to be reckoned with.  That doesn't mean they are on the Bills' level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Teams get psyched out by the Pats these days.  The Browns were like a deer in the headlights yesterday - once it started spiraling, it just got worse & worse.  

BB has the mental edge over pretty much every opponent in the NFL at this point. There is that "mystique" that we've seen throughout sports history with certain teams & coaches.  Shula & Miami used to have the same thing.

It's a real psychological edge, and they certainly have that w/ the Bills.  Until we consistently beat them, winning meaningful games & taking the division in consecutive years, they'll loom like some sort of deranged rule-breaking specter that refuses to go away.

• Eyeroll 1

I've moved past mild concern to serious concern over the Patriots and no rational fan can say the Bills are playing better right now just because we smashed another pathetic team with a QB that had less than a handful of starts yesterday.

Pats are a very complete team and Mac Jones is not a game manager for those who have been paying attention in recent weeks. The metrics say he's been playing at an elite level which is insane giving the circumstances as a rookie QB.

Not going to be the popular opinion here but at this point I think the Pats cruise to the division this year given their remaining schedule and best case will be splitting with them and securing the top WC spot as the #5 seed.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've moved past mild concern to serious concern over the Patriots and no rational fan can say the Bills are playing better right now just because we smashed another pathetic team with a QB that had less than a handful of starts yesterday.

Pats are a very complete team and Mac Jones is not a game manager for those who have been paying attention in recent weeks. The metrics say he's been playing at an elite level which is insane giving the circumstances as a rookie QB.

Not going to be the popular opinion here but at this point I think the Pats cruise to the division this year given their remaining schedule and best case will be splitting with them and securing the top WC spot as the #5 seed.

"Cruise" is a bit strong.  They'd have to sweep the Bills for an easy division win.

I think we split w/ them, and it comes down to the final couple of weeks.  And maybe tiebreakers.

• Like (+1) 1

For 2 decades we were chasing the Pats.  At the end of the day who is the better Qb.  Its Allen.  Ne has a formula.  Run the ball and get the lead.  Play aggressive defense and make the opposing team 1 dimensional.  Force a team to pass and beat them.  What happens when they are down 2 scores?  I don't believe they can win other ways.  Allen is the trump card.  He shredded their secondary last year.  It happens again what do they do?   

This response nails it IMO. Mac is playing well right now. People are treating it like it's a hot take to say he's playing better than Brady did his first year with the Patriots when it shouldn't be. But that doesn't mean he'll follow the same development arc that Brady did. At any rate, New England is going to be a tough out with their defense, run game, and competent QB play and Mac has been more than competent at times this season.

6 minutes ago, Success said:

"Cruise" is a bit strong.  They'd have to sweep the Bills for an easy division win.

I think we split w/ them, and it comes down to the final couple of weeks.  And maybe tiebreakers.

Either way the Bills margin of error the rest of the way is slim to zero.

What's more vomit inducing is the fact the Pats found another QB so fast after one down season with Cam Newton, but even then they still managed 7 wins.

But looking at the rest of the Pats schedule, outside of the Bills MNF game you can argue they will be the favorites in every game left (including TEN at home). I honestly won't be surprised if the game in Buffalo is considered PICK EM either unless the Bills truly show some dominance these next few games against the Saints and Colts.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This response nails it IMO. Mac is playing well right now. People are treating it like it's a hot take to say he's playing better than Brady did his first year with the Patriots when it shouldn't be. But that doesn't mean he'll follow the same development arc that Brady did. At any rate, New England is going to be a tough out with their defense, run game, and competent QB play and Mac has been more than competent at times this season.

Mac's play has me nervous, and he does look great for a rookie.

But watching yesterday, he could eat a sandwich in the pocket w/ the time that line gives him. Allen would be setting records with that kind of pocket.

The times I've seen Jones pressured, he's very average (at best).  

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Sean Peyton 

What bugs me about BB is that he's a brilliant coach - but still feels like he has to push the envelope to gain an advantage.

In the Bills/Giants SB, he allegedly told linemen to kick the ball at the LOS once in awhile to disrupt the K-Gun offense.  Is it egregious?  No.  But part of me is just like, play the game on the field. You don't need to do that stuff.

BB deserves his reputation.

Haven't read the whole thread, but many of the Pats fans and psuedo-Bills fans are pointing out the running games. 

The ferocious Pats running game is 15th at 114.5 ypg and 4.1 ypc

BTW, this other team that has no running game is 10th at 122 ypg and 4.6 ypc. Any guesses who that might be?

Oh and that team has the number 1 Defense in the NFL

And, we haven't even gotten to the QBS, Mac Jones is likely to have his comeuppance before long - all rookies do.

I think the Pats fans and psuedo-Bills fans should be extremely worried about playing us twice!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Haven't read the whole thread, but many of the Pats fans and psuedo-Bills fans are pointing out the running games. 

The ferocious Pats running game is 15th at 114.5 ypg and 4.1 ypc

BTW, this other team that has no running game is 10th at 122 ypg and 4.6 ypc. Any guesses who that might be?

Oh and that team has the number 1 Defense in the NFL

And, we haven't even gotten to the QBS, Mac Jones is likely to have his comeuppance before long - all rookies do.

I think the Pats fans and psuedo-Bills fans should be extremely worried about playing us twice!

I think most Bills fans are still overlooking one important factor and his name is Bill Belichek.

There is a reason why McDermott was 0-6 against him prior to last season and we all know that it took lucky late game fumble on Cam Newton in the final minutes to hold on and win the first game in Buffalo.

Also this years Pats team resembles the ones during the Brady era that were near invincible to beat in Nov/Dec which is why I've always hated having both games against them late in the season this year.

• Eyeroll 1

42 minutes ago, P Riv said:

I just hope we only play them twice this year, I don't want to see them a 3rd time.  Unless of course its after they knock off TN or KC for us.  

oh i'll take the rookie qb having to come into orchard park vs arguably the best defensive unit in the NFL.... ALL. DAY. LONG.

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I think most Bills fans are still overlooking one important factor and his name is Bill Belichek.

There is a reason why McDermott was 0-6 against him prior to last season and we all know that it took lucky late game fumble on Cam Newton in the final minutes to hold on and win the first game in Buffalo.

Also this years Pats team resembles the ones during the Brady era that were near invincible to beat in Nov/Dec which is why I've always hated having both games against them late in the season this year.

CANNONT FREAKING WAIT to see the rookie come waltzing into Orchard park in 3 weeks for MNF..... the hype being generated for a 6-4 ball team being led by a rookie qb right now is ridiculous. Solid team with a shot at the wildcard. Nothing more..... not yet.

..... also. was it you that said the jets would blow us out?

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

What a ridiculous comment.  Gee, wonder if it had anything to do with Tyrod Taylor, young developing Josh Allen, a terrible WR group, etc etc while Tom Brady and BB were winning Super Bowls still.  

That is the REASON why McD was 0-6...not because he is some kind of terrible coach in comparison.  In those 6 losses were over whelming underdogs for a reason and the Pats were contending for SB's as we were rebuilding.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

lol WHAT?  Hell no.  You keep harping on the rookie, my point is facing Belichick for a 3rd time in the same season when he's got 2 full games worth of film. Its not that we're destined to lose in that scenario, just that I don't like the scenario to begin with.  I'd much rather have an opponent that isn't familiar with us to begin with and that didn't spend the draft and FA building a team designed to exploit our weaknesses.  Copy?  Divisional opponents always have the potential to give you the toughest test.  

3 minutes ago, P Riv said:

lol WHAT?  Hell no.  You keep harping on the rookie, my point is facing Belichick for a 3rd time in the same season when he's got 2 full games worth of film. Its not that we're destined to lose in that scenario, just that I don't like the scenario to begin with.  I'd much rather have an opponent that isn't familiar with us to begin with and that didn't spend the draft and FA building a team designed to exploit our weaknesses.  Copy?  Divisional opponents always have the potential to give you the toughest test.  

Bro, that question was directed under the other dude i quoted. misunderstanding..... as for everything else. This basically all hinges on you thinking they are quite a bit better than i do i guess.... i think that by seasons end they're battling to just get in the dance. I'll glady bring them to town. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

1) This year's team is not "near invincible" and 2) this year's team is missing one key thing from above...

:beer:

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What a ridiculous comment.  Gee, wonder if it had anything to do with Tyrod Taylor, young developing Josh Allen, a terrible WR group, etc etc while Tom Brady and BB were winning Super Bowls still.  

That is the REASON why McD was 0-6...not because he is some kind of terrible coach in comparison.  In those 6 losses were over whelming underdogs for a reason and the Pats were contending for SB's as we were rebuilding.  

It seems he's not one for context. 

Does everyone remember last year when the Dolphins made a little midseason run and a handful of people tried preparing us for our inevitable demise?

.... ya, i remember that.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

oh i'll take the rookie qb having to come into orchard park vs arguably the best defensive unit in the NFL.... ALL. DAY. LONG.

CANNONT FREAKING WAIT to see the rookie come waltzing into Orchard park in 3 weeks for MNF..... the hype being generated for a 6-4 ball team being led by a rookie qb right now is ridiculous. Solid team with a shot at the wildcard. Nothing more..... not yet.

Seems like some fans truly have a short memory...hello we just lost to a rookie QB last week who was injured in the 2nd half and has played like trash compared to Mac Jones who looks exactly like Tom Brady did in 2001 when he replaced Bledsoe and won his first SB, if not better thus far.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Seems like some fans truly have a short memory...hello we just lost to a rookie QB last week who was injured in the 2nd half and has played like trash compared to Mac Jones who looks exactly like Tom Brady did in 2001 when he replaced Bledsoe and won his first SB, if not better thus far.

Which isnt saying a ton beings Brady was game manager at that point..... Listen, you said the Bills would get blown out last week. That was really stupid. We know how you feel about the team. We also know its a silly stance. I'll take Mcdermotts track record vs young qb's over one fluke game where everything went wrong.... CANNOT WAIT for MNF in december. 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Bro, that question was directed under the other dude i quoted. misunderstanding..... as for everything else. This basically all hinges on you thinking they are quite a bit better than i do i guess.... i think that by seasons end they're battling to just get in the dance. I'll glady bring them to town. 

I think odds are we'd beat them, no argument there.  I'd just rather play someone else for all the marbles... Allen has faced them 6 times, and had one good game, thus my concern over facing a divisional opponent a 3rd time.  I would much rather see a warm weather team have to travel up here and experience Orchard Park in the middle of Winter.  

This is the NFL and the 2021 Bills are not the '85 Bears so yes, the Patriots are a true concern for us especially with Bill B running the show. The Bills will need to maintain their mental calm and play fairly mistake free football in order to get a victory vs. the hated Pats. I've said it before that player for player, we are a better team but they play very sound football and you just can't count them out with that coach. Jones is playing quite well but we still have the much better QB regardless, and thats a factor. In the end in will likely come down to the turnover battle as is often the case.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Which isnt saying a ton beings Brady was game manager at that point..... Listen, you said the Bills would get blown out last week. That was really stupid. We know how you feel about the team. We also know its a silly stance. I'll take Mcdermotts track record vs young qb's over one fluke game where everything went wrong.... CANNOT WAIT for MNF in december. 

So did plenty of other fans that were down on this team after the Jags lost...obviously I was wrong but again, beating down another bottom feeder doesn't move the needle for me in terms of the bigger picture and not should it for other fans that realize this team still has a long way to go and has proven nothing yet this season.

Pats are a beast right now with a proven HC that has 6 SB rings on his finger and dominated the division for 20 years. It doesn't mean I'm not a fan for liking those odds over a team that has done nothing of note yet in this league except win one division title in a weird covid year when the Pats were in transition.

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

So did plenty of other fans that were down on this team after the Jags lost...obviously I was wrong but again, beating down another bottom feeder doesn't move the needle for me in terms of the bigger picture and not should it for other fans that realize this team still has a long way to go and has proven nothing yet this season.

Pats are a beast right now with a proven HC that has 6 SB rings on his finger and dominated the division for 20 years. It doesn't mean I'm not a fan for liking those odds over a team that has done nothing of note yet in this league except win one division title in a weird covid year when the Pats were in transition.

No. just NO.... anyone saying they were gonna get blown out by the jets was stupid for saying it then and looks even more stupid now. hands down. Thats a completely irrational, knee jerk reaction. Cant take anyone serious after a statement like that.

so that pats are winning the division this year?

Also LOL at anyone calling a 6-4 squad a beast. Wont surprise me one bit if they head down to ATL this weekend and lose.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

38 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You mean the coach with a losing 63-75 record without Brady. And, the one who lost twice to the Bills last year. 

Yes there are a few fans who lack a strong constitution and have no confidence, and yes its the NFL and anything can happen.

But, to be honest, I worry more about Ernie Adams and the Officials than anything.

My money is on the Bills to win the division.

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

so that pats are winning the division this year?

Yes unfortunately based on both teams body of work thus far I have 100% confidence going on record saying that as of today I believe the Pats will win the division. They just have that look of a team that isn't going to lose again this (regular) season and a few plays are the difference between them being 9-1 right now.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean the Bills still can't be very good in their own right and do what they need to come playoff time as a wildcard but there's no way i'm betting against Belichik given the aforementioned track record and having competent QB play at his disposal again.

Also worth noting that Mac Jones was graded out by PFF exactly the same as JA17 yesterday (mind you against a much better team than the Jets) for those saying he's just a game manager or rookie.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

But, to be honest, I worry more about Ernie Adams and the Officials than anything.

🤣 

Fire alarms in the hotel at 2 am, bad headsets, etc.  Just takes the air right out of the ball sometimes....Film at 11.

30 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yes unfortunately based on both teams body of work thus far I have 100% confidence going on record saying that as of today I believe the Pats will win the division. They just have that look of a team that isn't going to lose again this (regular) season and a few plays are the difference between them being 9-1 right now.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean the Bills still can't be very good in their own right and do what they need to come playoff time as a wildcard but there's no way i'm betting against Belichik given the aforementioned track record and having competent QB play at his disposal again.

Also worth noting that Mac Jones was graded out by PFF exactly the same as JA17 yesterday (mind you against a much better team than the Jets) for those saying he's just a game manager or rookie.

Lol, talk about over exaggerating a win against what is a hurting and struggling Browns team missing all its best offensive players.  

Pats are definitely a team that has improved, but roster to roster, ours is still quite better.  The Browns defense outside Garrett is terrible.  Their 4 game win streak is against a dismantled Browns team, the woeful panthers where Darnold was hot garbage, the woeful jets, and a struggling Chargers team whose only win in the last 4 weeks was a narrow one against the mediocre Eagles.    

So lets not over exaggerate the Pats as if they are running through the NFL's elite.  They still lost to the Bucs, Saints, Cowboys, the only good teams they faced.  They also lost to the Dolphins week 1.  I mean the Pats barely beat the Texans even.  

Roster to Roster...Bills are superior in pretty much every unit.  Better secondary, better safeties, better LB's, better DL...so the entire Defense.  We have a far superior QB and WR group as well.  We even actually have a more productive run game thanks to Allen also being a weapon in the run game.  About the only area the Pats have an edge is at OL right now given our injury issues.  But once we get healthy, I think they grade out a lot closer.  

So barring injuries, I cant see a path for the Pats to win the division over the remainder of the season.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

This year's NE team is better than most Bills fans give it credit for, and it's improving week to week as you would expect given their coaching.

Both games will be tough fights!  If you think otherwise you're nuts.

I still like us as the favorite to win both of them, but it ain't gonna be easy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Lol, talk about over exaggerating a win against what is a hurting and struggling Browns team missing all its best offensive players.  

Pats are definitely a team that has improved, but roster to roster, ours is still quite better.  The Browns defense outside Garrett is terrible.  Their 4 game win streak is against a dismantled Browns team, the woeful panthers where Darnold was hot garbage, the woeful jets, and a struggling Chargers team whose only win in the last 4 weeks was a narrow one against the mediocre Eagles.    

So lets not over exaggerate the Pats as if they are running through the NFL's elite.  They still lost to the Bucs, Saints, Cowboys, the only good teams they faced.  They also lost to the Dolphins week 1.  I mean the Pats barely beat the Texans even.  

Roster to Roster...Bills are superior in pretty much every unit.  Better secondary, better safeties, better LB's, better DL...so the entire Defense.  We have a far superior QB and WR group as well.  We even actually have a more productive run game thanks to Allen also being a weapon in the run game.  About the only area the Pats have an edge is at OL right now given our injury issues.  But once we get healthy, I think they grade out a lot closer.  

So barring injuries, I cant see a path for the Pats to win the division over the remainder of the season.  

Browns are a jekyl and hyde team for sure but they still have boatloads of talent and what the Patriots did to them is eye opening because I thought if anything it would be a close game throughout the Pats would find a way to win at the end.

Just seems like some people on here are finding every excuse possible to discredit the Patriots and who they are beating when again all of us need to look in the mirror and ask who exactly have the Bills beat if wins over the Browns/Panthers/Chargers aren't good enough for the Patriots?

This is why I need to see the Bills beat a similar team like the Colts this weekend and beat them decisively to truly believe they are a contender.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.