I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Pats are built on offense to play well against the light, pass-focused defenses of today’s NFL.  Two good tight ends, power backs, and linemen who can run block - they found the inefficiency in the market and exploited it.  They also have an identity on offense and a QB who plays within the structure (because he has to).  They are dangerous for sure, and that’s just on offense…

Are they?  Their run game ranks right after ours in production.  Mac Jones wins games throwing 40 times for 200 yards.  They need to score a defensive touchdown a game to break 20 points.  Their whole game plan relies on the Defensive forcing multiple turnovers. 

They'll be a tough game because our offense is stuck in the mud but like last year, the Pats wins rely on their opponents beating themselves.  Like Darnold lobbing up 3 INTs.

41 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Bills are not missing the playoffs, and the Patriots are not winning the division.   Everyone will be back on the band wagon when 2/5th of the offensive line is healthy again, Knox is back, and Cole Beasley isnt playing with beat up ribs. 

I sincerely hope you guys dont live your real lives like you do your Bills fandom.   A little adversity and its possum time.

Thats an issue though… the NFL is a game of attrition.  We lose 2 OL and our TE, play awful against one bad team and then lose to an even worse team… out of the BYE week.  

Im kind of in shock at how bad this OL is playing.   You can’t win if you can’t run block or pass pro.  Doesn’t matter if we’re playing the Jags or Ravens.  

The answer can’t be “we’ll be ok” IF Dion gets back to normal, IF Brown stays healthy and develops, IF Feliciano stays healthy, IF Morse stays healthy, and IF Boettger or a PS player can handle LG…. That’s way too many IF’s in a league where teams have to be built to handle some OL injuries. 

Maybe those two and Knox come back soon and nobody gets hurt moving forward… the fact these guys replacements are Sweeney, Ford etc., shows a woeful lack of preparedness in roster building/evaluation.   

Beane is very good, but has some obvious blind spots.  And so far, our coaching displays zero ideas on how to scheme past these deficiencies on Offense. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Yes, other teams win it. Same old Bills, same old Bengals, same old Browns yadda. No ring, you're still a same old. No points for second place etc.

I think this is an excellent way to judge a team because its simple and requires no critical thought.  I guess my issue with this criteria is that it leaves a lot to be interpreted.  Example:

Gene 1: Hey, how are the Dolphins doing this year, Gene 2? 

Gene 2: Well, they won a few Super Bowls in the 70s so pretty damn good, Gene 1!

Gene 2: How are the Bills looking this year, Gene 1?

Gene 1: Well they haven't won a super bowl in their existence so not as good as your Dolphins, Gene 2, you effing moron!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gene1973 said:

That's team vs franchise.

Of course I know the goings on of the team, but the "same old" applies to a franchise.

This Bills team seems unlikely to lift the Bills out of the "same old" category this season.

it's interesting how you're a far more active poster, only when the bills lose.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gene1973 said:

Of course I know the goings on of the team, but the "same old" applies to a franchise.

This Bills team seems unlikely to lift the Bills out of the "same old" category this season.

This should be fun. Where does "Team" end and franchise begin in a league where turnover year to year is +25%?  How are you defining team with this "Same old, hasn't won a championship" scale and how far back does it extend?  Same as the Rex years, Gailey, Jauron?

• Like (+1) 1

I doubt it was your intent with this thread Dave McBride, but look you've brought ALL of the "I was right when I claimed x months ago that the Bills we pretenders and won't even make the playoffs and should have done x/y/z" out of the woodwork. Its a shame. Coulda been a reasonable discussion. Maybe it still can. Can the Patriots match the talent of this Bills team? No. Its not that close. And sorry but I strongly disagree that Mac Jones is anywhere near the prospect that Joe Burrow is. Could the Pats beat the Bills with a sound game plan and execution? Sure. Absolutely. That concern is legit and we'll see soon! I feel confident we'll get things right and take care of them but it won't be a cakewalk by any means.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

This Bills team seems unlikely to lift the Bills franchise out of the "same old" category this season.

You can’t put the failings of a previous regime at the feet of a new one, plain and simple. But hey, Ralph is cheap, amirite? :w00t: 

1 hour ago, TBBills said:

You can go ahead and think they are a threat. 

Don't get angry that everyone isn't afraid of the Pats. People become Dbags when someone isn't afraid of a team and that is what you are showing.

A guy starts a thread listing multiple legit reasons why the "the pats are coming".  You respond with "why are they a threat?", oblivious to the OP.

People  point that out to you and you respond by calling them "Dbags".

well played...I'm pwned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

Objectively, if the Pats played us this week and we don’t have Brown, Feliciano and Knox back… I’d probably expect us to lose.  

When healthy, we’re the better team, but NE is playing better than us right now and that’s not really debatable. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

From Peter King’s column this morning: ‘One coach told me over the weekend he thinks the Patriots are better than the Bills. “Excellent, deep defense,” he said, “and Mac Jones is every bit as good as Joe Burrow.” Interesting. The Pats are a half-game behind Buffalo, but there’s one important standings factor to remember: Buffalo hasn’t played the Jets yet, and New England has finished with the Jets. Jones has been terrific, quickly. Bills-Pats, twice in 21 days in December, should be fun.’

I have a very bad feeling about this Pats team, which like the Bills has an elite defense. But they have an offense is far more effectively multiple than the Bills. And Mac Jones is for real. The evidence is in: he is already a pretty good QB and arguably even a good one (with no qualifications). Also, to counter King, the Bills are finished with Miami, who are just as bad as the Jets (who have least beat a couple of winning teams). I know Miami beat them in week one, but NE was the better team in that game and should have won except for an inexplicable fumble (they could have kneeled at that point).

I wonder if the coach was Sean McDermott himself, but in any event this isn't a surprise based on the fact that both teams are heading in polar opposite directions. One has peaked after a hot start and the other has fought through a tough start and starting to hit their stride.

And while I don't think Mac Jones is quite Tom Brady yet he's clearly the top QB in this past draft thus far and this pats defense has an eerie resmeblence to the Pats teams from the early 2000's that won 3 of 4 SB behind a similar efficient offense when Tom Brady was asked not to make the big mistake and carry the team at the time.

34 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

I doubt it was your intent with this thread Dave McBride, but look you've brought ALL of the "I was right when I claimed x months ago that the Bills we pretenders and won't even make the playoffs and should have done x/y/z" out of the woodwork. Its a shame. Coulda been a reasonable discussion. Maybe it still can. Can the Patriots match the talent of this Bills team? No. Its not that close. And sorry but I strongly disagree that Mac Jones is anywhere near the prospect that Joe Burrow is. Could the Pats beat the Bills with a sound game plan and execution? Sure. Absolutely. That concern is legit and we'll see soon! I feel confident we'll get things right and take care of them but it won't be a cakewalk by any means.

Good post. As a Pats fan, I agree with your post. But u wonder with the events of yesterday..when these type of threads do pop up, do you the still get the bills fans who laughed at the Patriots before the season started, the ones who couldn't imagine them being good for a long time. The "BB is nothing without Brady crowd.." coming out thr woodworks as well...cause it's only been 2 years of a rebuild and the pats and BB are not as bad as their rival's wished and wanted.

They at the end might still not be much this season(wild card game their ceiling IMO) but next season for sure. This won't be just the Bills division only.

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.