I hate to say it … but the Pats are coming

dave mcbride

49 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Whose thumping their chest?  I think it just spiraled out of control.

I originally said I know what my Pats are because of who they have faced. (They have faced two top 3 O’s and 2 Top 10 D)That is a good team with the potential be great in the near future.

I then said we don’t know who Buffalo is because they haven’t faced a truly rough stretch yet. Now tough means teams they are facing not losses.. Hell even in a loss if the team looked good and it was just bad luck can tell you something. (For example the AZ game last year.)

I have said all year the Pats are a fringe playoff team and the Bills should be SB contenders.  That could change depending on these next 4 weeks where the Bills face playoff contenders.. Bills could be who we thought they were or prove us wrong in which case the Pats would be AFCE champs again. 

now are you saying the Bills have truly been tested by any true metal of the league in regards to Offense? They have faced a tough D in Pitt but that’s it.. 

I think NE is playing good football, and they're built for a playoff run.  Just need to avoid any serious injuries and they'll be dangerous.  

Honestly i don't think there's a team in the AFC that wants to play either of them in the first round.  Good defenses that don't let you establish a rushing attack , and take the ball away.  One offense that pounds the rock/exploits the boundaries, and the other has a top 5 QB with weapons.  I think both teams stats are propped up a bit from weaker opponents - but that doesn't change the remainder of the AFC's perception of them.  

At the end of the day, fans posturing (not saying you are doing this, its a bills board so its probably bills fans) and media coverage is meaningless and this will be settled on the field at least twice this year - possibly 3 times.  

Edited by dneveu
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I trust Frazier/McDermott against young inexperienced QBs……not at all scared of Mac Jones and his 13 TD passes in 10 games in which 3 of them just came against the Browns.

Not taking anything away from Mac Jones, but if he was putting up these same stats for any team other than the Pats he wouldn’t be getting near the hype. It’s not like he’s lighting up the NFL……he’s avg 233 yards and 1.3 touchdowns a game.

He's only turned it over twice during the winning streak.  He played really well against cleveland, not so much against carolina and LA.  6 games over 70% completion, but he's got a pretty short average depth of target, but the numbers been trending up.  I think he's playing well in their structure.  

54 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

now are you saying the Bills have truly been tested by any true metal of the league in regards to Offense? They have faced a tough D in Pitt but that’s it.

Yes, I'd say Tenn (best record in AFC) which came down to the wire. Also KC, and I don't care to hear the "KC was playing bad, blah blah". KC is still a very good and dangerous team on offense.

And not much difference in Pats opponents and Bills opponents. TB, Saints, and cowboys were the toughest ones on paper. Bills with Pitt, KC, and Tenn. So that's 3 teams each both Pats and Bills played that one could consider "tough games"

38 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I trust Frazier/McDermott against young inexperienced QBs……not at all scared of Mac Jones and his 13 TD passes in 10 games in which 3 of them just came against the Browns.

Not taking anything away from Mac Jones, but if he was putting up these same stats for any team other than the Pats he wouldn’t be getting near the hype. It’s not like he’s lighting up the NFL……he’s avg 233 yards and 1.3 touchdowns a game.

I think we'll have a better idea of who Mac is after the Monday nighter in Buffalo.  He's going to experience a truly hostile road game, in an amped up stadium, if he plays well in our house I'll be shocked.  We all know tough division games are another level of intensity.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Ghost_002! said:

well....and if any coach or player spends anytime thinking more  "what could be" than the actually game plan you already lost. If nothing has happened what is there to worry about..i mean overall teams are suppose to keep things away from other teams right...playbooks, game plans, signal calls...etc. 

You have it backwards.  (Now retired) Bills LB Zo Alexander laid it out in 2019, players have to think about it and be mentally prepared for stuff to happen and don't get mentally hijacked when it does.  Doesn't mean they spend significant time on it, just be aware that stuff will happen, equipment wise, ref wise, etc. and don't let it get to you, move on.

Your team is called the Cheatriots for a reason.  Doesn't mean they're not a good football team and Bill Belicheck a great coach, just means they earned that moniker Fair and Square. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You have it backwards.  (Now retired) Bills LB Zo Alexander laid it out in 2019, players have to think about it and be mentally prepared for stuff to happen and don't get mentally hijacked when it does.  Doesn't mean they spend significant time on it, just be aware that stuff will happen, equipment wise, ref wise, etc. and don't let it get to you, move on.

Your team is called the Cheatriots for a reason.  Doesn't mean they're not a good football team and Bill Belicheck a great coach, just means they earned that moniker Fair and Square. 

Exactly, they framed that reputation for themselves. 

13 minutes ago, P Riv said:

The Division race hasn't been this fun in about 20+ years!  The 2 games against the Pats will be like playoff games, definitely more exciting than just playing out the string waiting for January.  

I know the thread title is "the Pats are coming"..............but as someone who never doubted Belichick despite all of the revisionist nonsense about it being all about Brady (and this includes a lot of ignorant Pats fans too)...........IMO the Pats never left.

McDermott is still 2-6 versus Belichick......and last season........despite major roster issues...........they played the Bills very competitively for about 6 quarters before the Bills really flipped the switch and obliterated them in that game in NE.

So IMO.........the Pats are still the hunted to me.   I don't want to survive against them...........I want to beat them a 3rd straight time........then a 4th straight..........nobody has done that to Belichick.

I want to send Belichick back to the drawing board so he can spend more money in free agency(after an NFL record $ outlay this past offseason).    

I agree.........this is what divisional football is supposed to look like and frankly over the years one of the things I always looked forward to was having a Bills team eventually overtake NE and sharpen themselves against a Belichick team and carry that into the playoffs where you know you will be facing lesser coaching.

Last year, it really wasn't a fair fight and they were still in the Bills heads so I think the resulting games weren't that good.    This year they should be competing on the same level and we could really see some great football.

• Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Whose thumping their chest?  I think it just spiraled out of control.

I originally said I know what my Pats are because of who they have faced. (They have faced two top 3 O’s and 2 Top 10 D)That is a good team with the potential be great in the near future.

I then said we don’t know who Buffalo is because they haven’t faced a truly rough stretch yet. Now tough means teams they are facing not losses.. Hell even in a loss if the team looked good and it was just bad luck can tell you something. (For example the AZ game last year.)

I have said all year the Pats are a fringe playoff team and the Bills should be SB contenders.  That could change depending on these next 4 weeks where the Bills face playoff contenders.. Bills could be who we thought they were or prove us wrong in which case the Pats would be AFCE champs again. 

now are you saying the Bills have truly been tested by any true metal of the league in regards to Offense? They have faced a tough D in Pitt but that’s it.. 

The pats lost to the Dolphins, Bucs, Saints, Cowboys. 

I mean cool, you beat the browns without their QB, Panthers with a limited McCaffrey and no QB, and the Chargers (good win). Otherwise bottom of the barrel, Jets (2x), Texans (barely) make up half of your wins.

I don't think you really have a leg to stand on in terms of quality of opponents to be sitting here saying the bills haven't been tested. The pats have been tested and failed 75% of their tough games (Chargers, Cowboys, Bucs, Saints).

The whole argument is asinine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I know the thread title is "the Pats are coming"..............but as someone who never doubted Belichick despite all of the revisionist nonsense about it being all about Brady (and this includes a lot of ignorant Pats fans too)...........IMO the Pats never left.

McDermott is still 2-6 versus Belichick......and last season........despite major roster issues...........they played the Bills very competitively for about 6 quarters before the Bills really flipped the switch and obliterated them in that game in NE.

So IMO.........the Pats are still the hunted to me.   I don't want to survive against them...........I want to beat them a 3rd straight time........then a 4th straight..........nobody has done that to Belichick.

I want to send Belichick back to the drawing board so he can spend more money in free agency(after an NFL record $ outlay this past offseason).    

I agree.........this is what divisional football is supposed to look like and frankly over the years one of the things I always looked forward to was having a Bills team eventually overtake NE and sharpen themselves against a Belichick team and carry that into the playoffs where you know you will be facing lesser coaching.

Last year, it really wasn't a fair fight and they were still in the Bills heads so I think the resulting games weren't that good.    This year they should be competing on the same level and we could really see some great football.

McDermott is 0-6 against Brady/Belichick…….2-0 against Other QB/Belichick.

I believe the Buffalo Bills have a winning record against Belichick in games where Brady did not play or finish the game. Add in the fact that Belichick is 219-64 with Brady and 63-75 without Brady.

Edited by streetkings01

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What exactly did i have backwards? He actually touched on my point about if you let the "reputation" control your thoughts you lose. I never said that's what every player or coach thinks. I said "IF" they do. He never once brought up the equipment issue (which is what you brought up and is what i asked you about specifically). The co-host wanted talk about the b.s. that follows the pats but didn't (see the sour grapes in his face).

I do not get too caught up in referees and calls because 1. every teams' fan complains and think their teams is always being wrong by the refs,  and every player complains about the refs and superstars and great teams do get favorable calls thats in every sports not something that just happens in New England solely. 

but at the end of the day...when the bills play the patriots you guys have won fair and square and you have lost fair and square. Point blank! Nothing "b.s." wise has taken any victory from the Bills, my point. Never said you didn't think they are a good team or don't  have a great coach, what i challenged you on was the equipment issue that really isn't an issue.  

Also you never heard me deny spygate or the other crap with the footballs..but for sure you can't say the bills had any issue with any equipment and as i pointed out other teams have complained about equipment issue in their own games that had nothing to do with the patriots. 

Edited by Ghost_002!

12 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I believe the Buffalo Bills have a winning record against Belichick in games where Brady did not play or finish the game. Add in the fact that Belichick is 219-64 with Brady and 63-75 without Brady.

McDermott was actually fired.......*****-canned mid-season and replaced by Juan Castillo(yes, that Juan Castillo:lol:)....at the coordinator job he had prior to Carolina......so does that mean he's only a good coach because he was lucky to be in the right situation in Carolina?

At about that same time.......Belichick took a QB who hadn't started a game since high school in Matt Cassell and lead them to an 11-5 record.

Belichick is the greatest coach in NFL history.   Beating him should be ultra-satisfying every time.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

22 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

68-76, actually. You may be forgetting to include the first 4 games of 2016 (they went 3-1) and also the fact that while Brady started game one of the 2008 season, he went down early in the first quarter with the score tied 0-0. They won that game with Cassel. Perhaps more importantly, he is 27-19 since 2008 without Brady. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

68-76, actually. You may be forgetting to include the first 4 games of 2016 (they went 3-1) and also the fact that while Brady started game one of the 2008 season, he went down early in the first quarter with the score tied 0-0. They won that game with Cassel. Perhaps more importantly, he is 27-19 since 2008 without Brady. 

Way too much is made of his time in Cleveland 25-30 years ago.  Its emphasized in an attempt to distort the record to pretend he's overrated, while at the same time ignoring what he did as the assistant head coach/DC under Bill Parcells.  That resume includes 2 SB wins, shutting down Joe Montana (the previous GOAT) and the K-gun, a SB loss with the Patriots to the Packers all star team, and also getting the late 90's Jets to the AFC Championship game and almost winning it.  

To me, saying he's overrated is an easy way to look like a Homer.  His resume dwarfs any other coach, including his mentor Parcells and rival Don Shula.

8 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

The pats lost to the Dolphins, Bucs, Saints, Cowboys. 

I mean cool, you beat the browns without their QB, Panthers with a limited McCaffrey and no QB, and the Chargers (good win). Otherwise bottom of the barrel, Jets (2x), Texans (barely) make up half of your wins.

I don't think you really have a leg to stand on in terms of quality of opponents to be sitting here saying the bills haven't been tested. The pats have been tested and failed 75% of their tough games (Chargers, Cowboys, Bucs, Saints).

The whole argument is asinine.

This, especially when it started with @PatsFanNH saying "Every one of the Patriots wins was against an above .500 team..... That’s simple facts" when the "simple facts" show that the Patriots in fact have 3 of their 6 wins against bad teams, plus as you say, beat up on the Browns without their star RB Nick Chubb and with an injured (then out) Mayfield.

There are other metrics for how difficult a win is to achieve for a given team in a given week than the opponent's W-L record.  In the meantime, You Are what Your Record Says You Are.

Kudos to Belichick and the Patriots for putting together a 6-4 season with a rookie QB.  Good for them!  In the meantime, I guess if it makes a Pats fan feel better to come on a Bills message board and spout nonsense about how "every one of the Patriots wins was against an above 0.500 team" being a fact, whatever.

The Bills are on to Indianapolis, which is IMO a far bigger challenge than their 5-5 record would suggest, and a "test" for the Bills defense which was unable to stop the combination of a strong rushing attack and a sufficient passing game against the Titans.

The Pats get to play the Atlanta Falcons, who IMO are a far weaker opponent than their 4-5 record would suggest, but any given Sunday....

1 minute ago, P Riv said:

Way too much is made of his time in Cleveland 25-30 years ago.  Its emphasized in an attempt to distort the record to pretend he's overrated, while at the same time ignoring what he did as the assistant head coach/DC under Bill Parcells.  That resume includes 2 SB wins, shutting down Joe Montana (the previous GOAT) and the K-gun, a SB loss with the Patriots to the Packers all star team, and also getting the late 90's Jets to the AFC Championship game and almost winning it.  

To me, saying he's overrated is an easy way to look like a Homer.  His resume dwarfs any other coach, including his mentor Parcells and rival Don Shula.

This.

The same "look at his record when he was with...." argument could be used to discredit our coaches as well.

Bill Belichick is a great coach, which is why it's somewhat puzzling that he resorts to some of the shady things he has done - but he's still a great coach.  The fact that he gets the Star treatment from the refs and that previously, he has owned Sean McDermott's soul, just makes him more dangerous.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McDermott was actually fired.......*****-canned mid-season and replaced by Juan Castillo(yes, that Juan Castillo:lol:)....at the coordinator job he had prior to Carolina......so does that mean he's only a good coach because he was lucky to be in the right situation in Carolina?

C'mon Man.  McDermott was fired after the season, on January 15th - after a disappointing 10-6 season in which the Eagles lost to the Packers in the WC game.  He was hired as DC by the Panthers almost immediately.  The facts paint a very different picture than your "***** canned mid season and replaced by Juan Castillo" imply to people who don't know better.

You have valid points about the practice of denigrating Bill Belichick because of his long-ago coaching record prior to the Patriots or because he had the smarts to recognize what he might have in Brady, keep him on the roster, and develop him properly by not asking too much initially.

So why undercut those points with dramatic sounding incorrect gouge?

It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

C'mon Man.  McDermott was fired after the season, on January 15th - after a disappointing 10-6 season in which the Eagles lost to the Packers in the WC game.  He was hired as DC by the Panthers almost immediately.  The facts paint a very different picture than your "***** canned mid season and replaced by Juan Castillo" imply to people who don't know better.

You have valid points about the practice of denigrating Bill Belichick because of his long-ago coaching record prior to the Patriots or because he had the smarts to recognize what he might have in Brady, keep him on the roster, and develop him properly by not asking too much initially.

So why undercut those points with dramatic sounding incorrect gouge?

It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly.

So McDermott was why they went to the playoffs 3 years running and firing him lead to Reid's ouster?  That's a scalding hot take for sure.

I think the Eagles had been good for some time prior to McDermott's promotion to DC and I think there were other, more important factors that lead to Reid leaving Philly.    He's since proven to be a fairly good HC without McD as well,  IMHO.  

My bad about the timing of the McDermott firing though.....it was right after the season............he was replaced by the promotion of Juan Castillo though..........which is hilarious and certainly looks like utter disrespect for the coaching acumen of McDermott.  In hindsight.

Which is what we are talking about here.    Hindsight and ancient history.

Belichick had a bad record in Cleveland the better part of 30 years ago.    I can't believe we still hear that nonsense though.    Irrelevant.   He was rebuilding an organization at a time when turnarounds were harder.......before widespread free agency created a league without a repeat champion in 15 years........and he didn't have a good situation at QB and his final season was undermined by the team announcing their move to Baltimore.  

But even in Cleveland he created the blueprint and processes used by a Ravens organization that has since won 2 SB's and really never lost that identity.

So the whole "his record without Brady" stuff is just jibber-jabber from bitter folk.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

My bad about the timing of the McDermott firing though.....it was right after the season............he was replaced by the promotion of Juan Castillo though..........which is hilarious and certainly looks like utter disrespect for the coaching acumen of McDermott.  In hindsigh

Wasn't Juan an OL coach or something? If I remember right he was....weird to fire your DC and replace with a OL coach that sucked I might add.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Actually it's not the Patriots that were coming, it was the British!

This thread is more like "The Russians are Coming, The Russians are Coming".  Bills fans have to get "organized".

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Look, I know you are back on your team's bandwagon and good for you. If you feel the need to go on another team's message board to try to convince fans of another team and yourself that the Chargers, Browns, and Panthers were some kind of "gauntlet" and playing great football when they played your team, in order to rationalize to yourself that your team deserves the lofty status it now occupies in your mind, feel free.

Regardless, the truth is this: It doesn't matter who your team has played or who the Bills have played, or what the outcomes of those games were. None of that has any relevance to the games ahead between the two teams, or with other teams. We will know when they play each other and at the end of the year where the two stand.

Until then, spend your time thumping your chest on the message boards of other teams to manage your fragile psyche and to keep your little world from falling apart. I guess it is cheaper than a therapist. 

It all seems somewhat pathetic to me, but I try not to judge.

Great post and should be read by fans from all teams!

• Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

So McDermott was why they went to the playoffs 3 years running and firing him lead to Reid's ouster?  That's a scalding hot take for sure.

🙄

That's a real stretch of reading incomprehension.  Let's look at what I actually said:

"It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly."

Now I think a reasonable person would conclude from that, I believe that HIRING JUAN CASTILLO, an OL coach who had no experience on the D side, had something to do with Reid's Philly demise.

A reasonable person would not conclude that firing Sean McDermott meant that Reid had no alternative ut to hire Teflon Juan as DC, especially given that all this took place after the season, when coaches were available, not midseason as you incorrectly stated.  Therefore a reasonable person would not conclude that I believe firing McDermott led to Reid's demise; it would be illogical to conclude that.

This kind of straw man is exactly why so many here hold back from engaging with you.  You genuinely know a lot about the Bills, and about football, and I respect that...but you sometimes appear far more interested in "poking the bear" or ***** stirring than in actually having the solid discussion of which you are capable.

My bad about the timing of the McDermott firing though.....it was right after the season............he was replaced by the promotion of Juan Castillo though..........which is hilarious and certainly looks like utter disrespect for the coaching acumen of McDermott.  In hindsight.

Thank you for that acknowledgement.  Actually, one rumor was that far from being "utter disrespect" for McDermott's coaching, McDermott actually was asked on the way out who he would recommend as his successor at DC and made a persuasive and convincing argument for giving Castillo a chance.  He certainly praised Castillo afterwards.

Belichick had a bad record in Cleveland the better part of 30 years ago.    I can't believe we still hear that nonsense though.    Irrelevant.   He was rebuilding an organization at a time when turnarounds were harder.......before widespread free agency created a league without a repeat champion in 15 years........and he didn't have a good situation at QB and his final season was undermined by the team announcing their move to Baltimore.  

But even in Cleveland he created the blueprint and processes used by a Ravens organization that has since won 2 SB's and really never lost that identity.

So the whole "his record without Brady" stuff is just jibber-jabber from bitter folk.    

I don't know about "jibber jabber from bitter folk" I don't find it's particularly useful to psychoanalyze other people's emotions (Heh.  If I did...)

But we agree about the futility of drawing conclusions about Belichick as a HC based on his record in Cleveland.  People (including coaches) do learn and grow.

39 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Wasn't Juan an OL coach or something? If I remember right he was....weird to fire your DC and replace with a OL coach that sucked I might add.

Yes, that is correct.  Castillo was the OL coach of the Eagles for something like 12 years, from which one might reasonably conclude that they didn't think he sucked.

He was DC of the Eagles for 1.5 yrs, and is the one who was fired as DC mid-season.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, that is correct.  Castillo was the OL coach of the Eagles for something like 12 years, from which one might reasonably conclude that they didn't think he sucked.

He was DC of the Eagles for 1.5 yrs, and is the one who was fired as DC mid-season.

Is that the most classic example of cronyism? Worse than Rex hiring his brother.

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Guess I should have clarified, Meant he sucked as a DC lol

It will be interesting to see how this team (and the fans) respond after the Pats take the division lead on Thursday with what should be another (easy) win against the Falcons.

Obviously the Patriots can do this by default since they haven't had their bye week yet but if the Bills lose to the Colts on Sunday you get the sense this is they will likely be out of the division lead for good once again looking up at the Pats.

And if this scenario plays out the Bills go from likely #2 seed all the way to the #5 seed at best which could mean another meeting with the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs and one and done.

Hard to fathom this situation a month ago but not unexpected given the offseason the Pats had and a 6 time SB winning head coach looking to send a message to the rest of the league this year.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It will be interesting to see how this team (and the fans) respond after the Pats take the division lead on Thursday with what should be another (easy) win against the Falcons.

Obviously the Patriots can do this by default since they haven't had their bye week yet but if the Bills lose to the Colts on Sunday you get the sense this is they will likely be out of the division lead for good once again looking up at the Pats.

And if this scenario plays out the Bills go from likely #2 seed all the way to the #5 seed at best which could mean another meeting with the Chiefs in the first round of the playoffs and one and done.

Hard to fathom this situation a month ago but not unexpected given the offseason the Pats had and a 6 time SB winning head coach looking to send a message to the rest of the league this year.

jesus...you're highfootballiq.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

There should only be one response to this:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This, especially when it started with @PatsFanNH saying "Every one of the Patriots wins was against an above .500 team..... That’s simple facts" when the "simple facts" show that the Patriots in fact have 3 of their 6 wins against bad teams, plus as you say, beat up on the Browns without their star RB Nick Chubb and with an injured (then out) Mayfield.

There are other metrics for how difficult a win is to achieve for a given team in a given week than the opponent's W-L record.  In the meantime, You Are what Your Record Says You Are.

Kudos to Belichick and the Patriots for putting together a 6-4 season with a rookie QB.  Good for them!  In the meantime, I guess if it makes a Pats fan feel better to come on a Bills message board and spout nonsense about how "every one of the Patriots wins was against an above 0.500 team" being a fact, whatever.

The Bills are on to Indianapolis, which is IMO a far bigger challenge than their 5-5 record would suggest, and a "test" for the Bills defense which was unable to stop the combination of a strong rushing attack and a sufficient passing game against the Titans.

The Pats get to play the Atlanta Falcons, who IMO are a far weaker opponent than their 4-5 record would suggest, but any given Sunday....

This.

The same "look at his record when he was with...." argument could be used to discredit our coaches as well.

Bill Belichick is a great coach, which is why it's somewhat puzzling that he resorts to some of the shady things he has done - but he's still a great coach.  The fact that he gets the Star treatment from the refs and that previously, he has owned Sean McDermott's soul, just makes him more dangerous.

Why am I not shocked you either misunderstood or just blatantly misquoted me!?  But again for the people in the back.. the wins against Cleveland, Carolina, and the Chargers were against above .500 teams and teams with actual playoff aspirations. I never said ALL their wins.

I have also said repeatedly we don’t know who the Bills are because they haven’t faced many teams like that.. outside of TN and Pitt. Which is to small a size make a decision either way. 

the Falcons NOW are a weak opponent but someone facing them healthy in say week 3 faced a tough team who had the potential make the playoffs. Injury has dismantled that team. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Its amazing the negative thoughts in your head. You are like an anti-Bills fan or something.  You don't even write this negative garbage as if it could happen.  You write it as if it's set in stone that it will happen.

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its amazing the negative thoughts in your head. You are like an anti-Bills fan or something.  You don't even write this negative garbage as if it could happen.  You write it as if it's set in stone that it will happen.

do you recognize who he is?  it's kind of his thing.  i think it was last year or the year before where he was playing the same game with miami.  dude loves the attention.

I caution any fan with thinking a win is easy especially  on Thursday night which has produced some of the most unpredictable results since those games started. Home teams have something close to a .700 win rate on Thursday's. I think NE should be favored, but ATL is 4-5 and their offense at points has done some things. If we have learned anything from this season across the NFL its that nothing is a sure thing and the unexpected has been all over the place.

Edited by corta765

53 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Why am I not shocked you either misunderstood or just blatantly misquoted me!?  But again for the people in the back.. the wins against Cleveland, Carolina, and the Chargers were against above .500 teams and teams with actual playoff aspirations. I never said ALL their wins.

I have also said repeatedly we don’t know who the Bills are because they haven’t faced many teams like that.. outside of TN and Pitt. Which is to small a size make a decision either way. 

the Falcons NOW are a weak opponent but someone facing them healthy in say week 3 faced a tough team who had the potential make the playoffs. Injury has dismantled that team. 

First, you literally said "Every one of the Patriots wins was against an above .500 team"

Second both Cleveland and Carolina are garbage pretenders.  You act if they are serious contenders.  They are not.  You played the Browns in the same state as you are saying about the Falcons... injure riddled.  The Chargers was a good win even though I think they are figured out.

You don't give us credit for KC why?  You are going to say the team is/was having issues right?  So are the Browns and Carolina.  

I know who the Bills are.  They are a team that made the AFCC game last season.  They are a team still in the running for that.  In their wins they have blown out every team.  In their losses it was a one score come down to the wire game.

As I said earlier.  None of it matters. Teams play who they play.  You act as if the Pats have played some gauntlet and the Bills have played the Jets every week.  Couldn't be further from the truth.  Its been pretty equal no matter how you try to spin it.  Come back on Bills-Pats game day and talk this trash.  We play the Colts this week.  You play Atlanta this week.

5 minutes ago, teef said:

do you recognize who he is?  it's kind of his thing.  i think it was last year or the year before where he was playing the same game with miami.  dude loves the attention.

HighFootballIQ is my guess.

19 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Just being realistic, I don't see the Pats losing on Thur therefore they will take the division by default until at least Sunday.

Bills win they obviously jump back into first place but if they lose again not unrealistic to assume they lose grip on the division lead for good this season given the Pats current upward trajectory and lingering questions still out there about the Bills and who exactly they are. And if they lose to the Colts on Sunday there are no more lingering questions and we will know they are frauds once and for all.

26439877-24A7-4262-A67D-85B83C45A56F.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I hate to be that guy, but I got so much **** from a LOT of people on this board for predicting Mac Jones was going to be a problem. The guy is and has always been deadly accurate since college. I'm in no way rooting for him, I hope he busts, but w/ ALL of that said, the Pats aren't going to overtake us. They have a good defense but it's not even in the same stratosphere as Bills. We are better than them in every phase of the game.

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I hate to be that guy, but I got so much **** from a LOT of people on this board for predicting Mac Jones was going to be a problem. The guy is and has always been deadly accurate since college. I'm in no way rooting for him, I hope he busts, but w/ ALL of that said, the Pats aren't going to overtake us. They have a good defense but it's not even in the same stratosphere as Bills. We are better than them in every phase of the game.

This is a homer take at best, outside of QB/WR/Secondary I don't believe we are better at any position and in most cases the Pats are markedly better across the board.

Also one major advantage still being overlooked is HC where they hold a distinct advantage and it's not even remotely close and this why I don't like our chances in two high stakes games in December where Belichik's teams have proven to be near invincible in years past.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

🙄

That's a real stretch of reading incomprehension.  Let's look at what I actually said:

"It is of course true that Reid promoted Juan Castillo, his OL coach, to DC, and the reasons why Reid made that decision are a puzzle for the ages.  It took the Eagles from a 10-6 team who had been to the playoffs 3 years running, to an 8-8 then a 4-12 team and ultimately led to Reid's ouster from Philly."

Now I think a reasonable person would conclude from that, I believe that HIRING JUAN CASTILLO, an OL coach who had no experience on the D side, had something to do with Reid's Philly demise.

A reasonable person would not conclude that firing Sean McDermott meant that Reid had no alternative ut to hire Teflon Juan as DC, especially given that all this took place after the season, when coaches were available, not midseason as you incorrectly stated.  Therefore a reasonable person would not conclude that I believe firing McDermott led to Reid's demise; it would be illogical to conclude that.

This kind of straw man is exactly why so many here hold back from engaging with you.  You genuinely know a lot about the Bills, and about football, and I respect that...but you sometimes appear far more interested in "poking the bear" or ***** stirring than in actually having the solid discussion of which you are capable.

Thank you for that acknowledgement.  Actually, one rumor was that far from being "utter disrespect" for McDermott's coaching, McDermott actually was asked on the way out who he would recommend as his successor at DC and made a persuasive and convincing argument for giving Castillo a chance.  He certainly praised Castillo afterwards.

I don't know about "jibber jabber from bitter folk" I don't find it's particularly useful to psychoanalyze other people's emotions (Heh.  If I did...)

But we agree about the futility of drawing conclusions about Belichick as a HC based on his record in Cleveland.  People (including coaches) do learn and grow.

Well see you gotta be careful how you itemize your "deductions".    You want to call me out on my take about McD being fired mid-season......calling it a gouge........when in fact being PERMANENTLY replaced by Juan Castillo is actually more damning of the opinion of McD's acumen than just an interim gig.    That's why I misremembered it.   It's mind boggling.......but at one time a future HOF HC thought Juan Castillo was a better permanent option than McD.:lol:

Meanwhile you intentionally and unnecessarily  framed it like McDermott was a big key in Andy Reid's success.   Like "they made the playoffs when McD was the DC but then not after".   In fact, the Eagles were probably the NFC team of the "oughts".   Reid reached 5 NFC title games before McD became DC.   He was knocked out of the WC round both years McD was DC.  As we know........when you are contending for SB's as often as they were.........regular season records and playoff "appearances" aren't the standard anymore.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.