Breida in Week 10!

BillsDiehard

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think one idea is that Breida might give us more of a home-run threat in the short passing game

Yeah, I think he could be an effective receiving threat for the Bills.  Get him the ball in space and let him do the rest.

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the knock on Breida was that he couldn't run up the gut

I saw clips of him running effectively up the gut.  I think they'll have to do it so as not to make him one-dimensional by always running outside.

56 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, I think he could be an effective receiving threat for the Bills.  Get him the ball in space and let him do the rest.

I saw clips of him running effectively up the gut.  I think they'll have to do it so as not to make him one-dimensional by always running outside.

Links or it didn't happen!  😃

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/11/2021 at 12:17 PM, Norcalbillsfan said:

Not sure why everyone hates on this, he at least has blazing speed, which in my opinion is killing us, not necessarily in the run game but the passing game. No one respects moss or Singletary on passing cuz they are terribly slow. Let's see what brieda does with a few dump offs, that part of our offense can't get worse with brieda. And if he is terrible, who cares its 1 game, cut him move on.

Why is there so much rampant exaggeration here. It's not necessary, and it distorts.

They're not "terribly slow," they just aren't.

Moss and Singletary will never be mistaken for breakaway threats, but they have plenty enough speed to be effective in the NFL, in both running and passing. Most of the problems with our dumpoff passes is that Josh doesn't like doing that and so throws few of them. When he does use them, they've been effective.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

No, what he HAD was speed. He was blazing fast in San Fran. That I will give you. He has also had a multitude of lower body injuries since then. 

Also, because of his perceived "speed" everyone wants to throw him the ball. This is a guy with less than 30 receptions combined on the last 3 years. He has a single season high of 27 catches. This isn't a receiving back.

He looked pretty fast today, a lot faster than Singletary. Not saying a better back, just faster. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He looked pretty fast today, a lot faster than Singletary. Not saying a better back, just faster. 

I didn't see fast today as much as I saw him more "quick and shifty". He had some nice plays today and some where he may have been rusty. I think he earned some more playing time for sure.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I didn't see fast today as much as I saw him more "quick and shifty". He had some nice plays today and some where he may have been rusty. I think he earned some more playing time for sure.

Yeah he is a change up for sure at RB.  I still think he needs to earn his way into a starting position.  That fumble today was preventable by him, and luckily it had no real negative impact in this game.  But he did have a spark that we have been missing in the running game.  He just seems to be able to make people miss more than Moss and Singletary.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Yeah he is a change up for sure at RB.  I still think he needs to earn his way into a starting position.  That fumble today was preventable by him, and luckily it had no real negative impact in this game.  But he did have a spark that we have been missing in the running game.  He just seems to be able to make people miss more than Moss and Singletary.

He was part of the spark for sure. Getting Davis back into a productive position and using McKenzie more with the addition of Breida was the difference today. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

He was part of the spark for sure. Getting Davis back into a productive position and using McKenzie more with the addition of Breida was the difference today. 

Yeah I hope him and Davis are involved more next week against the Colts.  I watched some of the Colts game and the Colts are average at best.  Nothing special about them, that's for sure.

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Well, I didn't think Breida would make that big of a difference.  Its just the Jets but he still looked good outside of the fumble.

He's the only RB who can turn the corner. Not saying he's "the" answer but he deserves a few touches a game. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Sundancer said:

He's the only RB who can turn the corner. Not saying he's "the" answer but he deserves a few touches a game. 

He should be worked into the offense for sure unless fumbling becomes an issue.  At this point it is just one so its not an issue yet.  I also think and have thought that Singletary is a much better back than Moss.  

1 hour ago, Toyo321 said:

Yeah I hope him and Davis are involved more next week against the Colts.  I watched some of the Colts game and the Colts are average at best.  Nothing special about them, that's for sure.

Davis still seems to come up limping a bit on every play .  Really would like him healthy

4 minutes ago, Sugar High JA17 said:

This certainly goes down as one of the year's most random performances!

rushed 3 times for 28 yards and touchdown - adding 3 receptions for 22 yards and a score. 

You forgot the fumble 

Bills coaching staff reads TSW!  Or maybe they watch the film and see the same things we do.

- get Breida involved! As in 2 TDs involved!! (We'll excuse the garbage time fumble)

- use a FB/heavy set every now and then! (that was my particular piece of advice). I saw Gilliam out there more than in any prior game, even in an old-fashioned I formation that actually worked.

- get Diggs the damn ball! As in "get the ball near him and he will make good things happen" as we saw today.

- mix it up, play Allen under center and pass from that formation every now and then! And the play action helped the line against the pass rush, particularly as the game went on.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Finally, it took the Jags debauchery to get Sean ÷Co. to get this guy on the field. What a shock,we've added another dimension to this offense. 

de·bauch·er·y

/dəˈbôCHərē/

Learn to pronounce

noun

excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures.

Hey, whatever it takes. I just hope there's no video of Urban Meyer's latest sensual indulgences.

[I think it was meant to be "debacle"]

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’d be more inclined to put that on Josh.  Breida was concentrating on getting into his pass pattern. 

Nope, I'm pretty sure he was supposed to pick up the blitzer before going into his route.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

de·bauch·er·y

/dəˈbôCHərē/

Learn to pronounce

noun

excessive indulgence in sensual pleasures.

Hey, whatever it takes. I just hope there's no video of Urban Meyer's latest sensual indulgences.

[I think it was meant to be "debacle"]

Nope, I'm pretty sure he was supposed to pick up the blitzer before going into his route.

The reference was meant to equate our performance to that of players exhibiting drunkenness and ineptitude. This also falls under the loose definition. 

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He didn’t even make a move towards the defender.  He just went into his pass pattern.  That’s why I don’t think that his job was to even chip the defender.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

He didn’t even make a move towards the defender.  He just went into his pass pattern.  That’s why I don’t think that his job was to even chip the defender.

Well, that's true ... weird that they had no plan to pick up a blitzer from the right side, but I can't definitively put that on Breida. 

47 minutes ago, Doc said:

I’d be more inclined to put that on Josh.  Breida was concentrating on getting into his pass pattern. 

I agree, yeah brieda could have chipped him but Josh didn't have awareness on that play when he usually has great awareness. Not to mention brieda was open and josh could have quickly dumped it off to him. More on josh than brieda in my opinion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

He should be worked into the offense for sure unless fumbling becomes an issue.  At this point it is just one so its not an issue yet.  I also think and have thought that Singletary is a much better back than Moss.  

He fumbled week one and hasn’t been active since. He has a problem. 

16 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Breida?  I don't think he did.  He wasn't good that game but I don't think he fumbled.

Breida didn't fumble week 1.  Singletary was the only RB who fumbled, twice (but not losing either).

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Matt Breida needs more burn Outside zone is his baby and that’s what we run he’s also the best pass catching back we have on the team

Re Breida: "Outside zone is his baby, we saw that in San Francisco.  And the Bills run outside zone, so they don't have to change anything if they play Matt Breida". -Greg Cosell

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

The reference was meant to equate our performance to that of players exhibiting drunkenness and ineptitude. This also falls under the loose definition. 

To quote TO "No not really."  Likely you meant debacle, which it was.

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Like Motor?

I was wrong, and am very happy about it. I didn't necessarily think old Breida was bad, I just didn't think there was any guarantee he was still elusive after nearly a couple of years on the bench. Well, he looked very shifty and quick, on that TD run especially. Hope he's not totally in the dog house and we see some more of him.

Edited by Nelius

4 hours ago, Doc said:

We actually don’t even know what the playcalling that was I want to think that it’s a miss chip Block and Brieda Has barely played I can forgive him for that but I don’t know Josh was looking the other way

3 hours ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I agree, yeah brieda could have chipped him but Josh didn't have awareness on that play when he usually has great awareness. Not to mention brieda was open and josh could have quickly dumped it off to him. More on josh than brieda in my opinion.

He should have picked up the blitzer or broke that route way off in the flat 

The debate is over, Breida needs to be active every week. He scored 2 TDs from within the red zone tonight, and red zone offense has been our weak link all year long. Neither of those TDs would have been scored by Singletary or Moss. They wouldn't have gotten open in time on the TD pass. They wouldn't have accelerated to the end zone that quickly on the TD run. Take those 2 TDs off the board and consider how much we've struggled in the red zone this year, who knows how those drives finish? Breida creates explosive plays in the red zone. Zero reason he should ever be inactive again.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

The debate is over, Breida needs to be active every week. He scored 2 TDs from within the red zone tonight, and red zone offense has been our weak link all year long. Neither of those TDs would have been scored by Singletary or Moss. They wouldn't have gotten open in time on the TD pass. They wouldn't have accelerated to the end zone that quickly on the TD run. Take those 2 TDs off the board and consider how much we've struggled in the red zone this year, who knows how those drives finish? Breida creates explosive plays in the red zone. Zero reason he should ever be inactive again.

From the I formation .... with a fullback leading the way (although Gilliam didn't really need to block anyone; more like the old term "running interference"). What are these new inventions like "I formations"? Old school can be new school too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.