I think the Bills play angry and run up the score this week

Inigo Montoya

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

I never get overly confident, because, well……ya know…. 

Having said that, I don’t think in a million years they would admit to wanting to run it up, and I also don’t doubt for a skinny minute that they are actually thinking it. 

I agree with this. The one thing overlooked in all of this was the fact that Allen still had some lingering shoulder issues, and while McDermott may not show it on camera, I think the fact the Bills were forced to play a game on such short notice was the catalyst to anger. How could he not be angry? McDermott wanted Allen to heal up but instead, he got thrown in to the fire.

Edited by buffalo2218

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

OK, but that was last year. It’s ancient history. 

I highly doubt McDermott has devoted much of any time to it. As a matter of fact, it’s probably safe to say he has devoted exactly zero minutes to it. It is tangential to the team’s goal of winning. 

I can all but guarantee McDermott and the coaching staff reminded the team of their beatdown they suffered last season at the Titans hands and the circumstances surrounding that game. If he didn't, he's foolish and McDermott is no fool. He's a wrestler and wrestler's never forget a beatdown and the motivation to pay that back in spades.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

There is no argument that the Bills needed to beat the Chiefs this season to prove to themselves that they deserve to be at the top of the AFC going forward.  It was a coming of age type of victory for this team.

I think this game coming up against the Titans is different though.  I think the Bills just want to crush the Titans because they don't like them.  I have no fear of a "let down" performance from the BIlls following their big win against the Chiefs because on some level, they want to beat the Titans even more than they wanted to beat the Chiefs.

Last season's loss to the TItans was harder to take than the loss to the Chiefs was, and I think the Bills have been looking forward to getting some payback ever since the schedule came out.  I think the Bills are going to destroy the Titans on MNF.  McDermott knows what this game means to his players after last year.  This game is going to be a blow out and the Bills won't take their foot off the gas until the final whistle sounds.

I think they want to beat all their opponents and play more-or-less equally hard each game.  I think that's one of the things that McD does well.  He keeps the intensity high each week. 

The game may be a blow out (cross my fingers) but it won't be because the Bills hate the Titans more than the Chiefs and play harder.

I want and expect a beat down on the Tuesday Titans. They benefited from a mentally and emotionally taxed Bills team dealing with two straight weeks of Covid related issues. Now give The Tuesday Titans credit for turning their own poor judgement into an “us vs the world” situation. This year it’s going to be fun to watch Vrabel look clueless on the sideline. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

WhaaaaaaT????? That’s crazy. Yeah The fans hate the Titans because of history (primarily Music City Lateral) but the current Bills players? They lost to them in one game last year. It’s more likely that they will have a beef with the cardinals who got lucky on the last play of the game.

I agree.  I can't imagine there's a single guy on the roster who circled this game in particular on his schedule.  Outside of Henry, this is one of the blandest, least passion-stirring teams in the league.

• Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree.  I can't imagine there's a single guy on the roster who circled this game in particular on his schedule.  Outside of Henry, this is one of the blandest, least passion-stirring teams in the league.

Henry and their stupid, meathead coach

5 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I love the confidence, but we still have to tackle Derrick Henry

We did hold King Henry to 57 yards (a season low) in that game last season.  Our big problem was we hand no one to cover AJ Brown.  Cam Lewis may become a good player and Josh Norman was a great player but they weren't up to the task in last year's "now" if that makes sense.

Our bigger problem was inability to run the ball against Tennessee's DL to take the pressure off the middle of the field, with Josh unable to hit the deep ball and struggling in general to pass.  2 INTs didn't help.

Our biggest problem was ST.  Yes, Bojo delivered a perfect coffin-corner punt, but he also outkicked his coverage (or else it was a total ST fail) allowing a 40 yd return on a 57 yd punt and a Tenn drive starting on the Buff 30.  Then you have an Andre Roberts fumble on another punt return, leading to a Tenn drive from the Buff 18.

That and the two INTs are how you have a game where you outgain the other team 370 to 334 yds, convert 76% of your 3rd downs, have only 2 fewer first downs, have a 5 minute TOP advantage, and you lose in a 42-16 rout

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm usually over optimistic but this is the NFL. I mean 4.5 weeks ago we lost an Ugly game to Pit. 

We look phenomenal and I've said this looks like a potentially all time great team but I can totally see this being a bit ugly and sometimes you gotta win that way. 

One of the tougher opponents we'll face this year so I don't expect this to be pretty, but I'm mentally prepared now for an ugly win or three throughout the remainder of the season.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We did hold King Henry to 57 yards (a season low) in that game last season.

Yes the Bills did a really good job on Henry even with some of the scrubs we had on D that day.  In the first half they held Henry to 10 carries for 24 yards.  A chunk of his yards came with 10 minutes left in the 4th quarter, when the game was pretty much out of reach being down 12 points.

13 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm usually over optimistic but this is the NFL. I mean 4.5 weeks ago we lost an Ugly game to Pit. 

We look phenomenal and I've said this looks like a potentially all time great team but I can totally see this being a bit ugly and sometimes you gotta win that way. 

The Pittsburg game was an anomaly IMO.  Week 1 can be just as flukey as some division games.  I don't think the Bills were prepared for what Pitts was going to do on D and the offensive game plan was crap.  They ran 5 wide like half the game.  The difference in that game was a blocked punt for a TD.  How often does that happen?  Not saying the Bills didn't lose that game.  Just saying I wouldn't expect to see that again this year.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think these guys play “angry.” They play with a lot of passion for sure, but I don’t think anger is a catalyst for them. Angry is what the Rex teams were, stupid penalties left and right. For them to come out of the KC game and say it was just another win (yes I know we all know different) I can’t imagine that this game means more to them. That being said, I expect to see a team laser focused though on getting the job done convincingly this week

15 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

It is tangential to the team’s goal of winning. 

Is it though?  In addition to talent and strategy, focus and preparation are essential to winning.  They can often be the edge the gives you the win.  In a extraordinarily long season, particularly after a watershed win on national TV that has the football universe telling you that you are the greatest thing since bread came sliced, it isn't hard to see the possibility of a team losing that edge for at least a few days, days that are critical to focus and prep for your next opponent.  

There is no way on God's green earth that I see McDermott not using every tool that he has to ensure that focus and preparation remain top priority.  If you were him, during this week with all the world singing your team's praises, with that objective, would you remind your team that they are preparing to face the team that handed them their worst defeat in recent memory?  No way they say it publicly.  But I believe it's there all week, and it'll be there on the field Monday.

12 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I agree as well with the possible exception of it being a Monday Night game, in front of a national audience. I’m sure the Bills don’t want to wet the bed in this one. Im thinking they’ll take care of business before getting a week off. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.