Week 4: Texans at Bills

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Your exact words were "he doesn't have a good history against rookie QB's".

Then I showed you the scores in the last 5 times he's faced rookies.  So basically you were 100% wrong but then tried to save face by saying "well he didn't dominate like you expect"....lol.

"Girls, this weed is so good, I'm so high!".

"Karen, you've been smoking oregano".  

Remember this thread?

You would think a guy so smart would know you can’t accurately administer an IQ test to yourself.   He took a few psych classes and now his thinks he’s professor fantastic.  The only thing he managed to do was make himself look less intelligent. 

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, teef said:

You would think a guy so smart would know you can’t accurate administer an IQ test to yourself.   He took a few psych classes and now his thinks he’s professor fantastic.  The only thing he managed to do was make himself look less intelligent. 

Yeah, I mean when I desperately need/want attention it's best to just get a hooker

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sorry not buying this.  It cannot possibly be this difficult to find a professional guard who fits their “scheme.”  Teller is clearly good enough to play in any scheme; Ford is so bad he’d bomb out of any scheme.  The more likely scenario is that Beane has an issue with evaluating interior linemen.  Could also be an issue with the coaching staff and scouts not being on the same page but what should be the easiest position in the NFL to fill has been a constant weakness for this group.

Guard play has become to this team what right tackle used to be (prior to Daryl Williams) and what tight end has mostly always been (although I still have hope for Knox). For some reason, the team historically struggles to identify talent for the same positions each season no matter the regime. Some of it is refusing to take a swing, while most of it has been poor talent evaluation (and refusing to accept it while continuing to play the guy). Fortunately, even with some of the misses (everyone has them), I feel pretty comfortable that McBeane knows their weaknesses and will continue to work to address them, unlike prior regimes who often seemed oblivious. 

Edited by TheProcess
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Sorry not buying this.  It cannot possibly be this difficult to find a professional guard who fits their “scheme.”  Teller is clearly good enough to play in any scheme; Ford is so bad he’d bomb out of any scheme.  The more likely scenario is that Beane has an issue with evaluating interior linemen.  Could also be an issue with the coaching staff and scouts not being on the same page but what should be the easiest position in the NFL to fill has been a constant weakness for this group.

With Buffalo in 2018 - Teller was graded as a 60 - below average.

With Cleveland in 2019 - Teller actually got worse and graded as a 56.

So what exactly does that show you - He was well on his way to bombing out with his grade in 2019 mirroring Cody Ford at guard last year - who graded out at a 55. 

So yes current day Wyatt Teller would be great on this team, but you can’t say - boy the Bills can’t evaluate talent when the guy they traded still took multiple years after the trade to develop.  Sometimes guys find the right scheme and fit with a staff and get better and I do not see where on the Bills that playing time was coming from.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

With Buffalo in 2018 - Teller was graded as a 60 - below average.

With Cleveland in 2019 - Teller actually got worse and graded as a 56.

So what exactly does that show you - He was well on his way to bombing out with his grade in 2019 mirroring Cody Ford at guard last year - who graded out at a 55. 

So yes current day Wyatt Teller would be great on this team, but you can’t say - boy the Bills can’t evaluate talent when the guy they traded still took multiple years after the trade to develop.  Sometimes guys find the right scheme and fit with a staff and get better and I do not see where on the Bills that playing time was coming from.

Graded by whom?  Everyone in the Kitchen Sink offense was out of sync.  If you watched Teller when he was here you saw a highly athletic player who moved around extremely well but needed development with his pass sets. He repeatedly pancaked defenders during the preseason. Whereas Ford has always played heavy-footed and soft.  

53 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Guard play has become to this team what right tackle used to be (prior to Daryl Williams) and what tight end has mostly always been (although I still have hope for Knox). For some reason, the team historically struggles to identify talent for the same positions each season no matter the regime. Some of it is refusing to take a swing, while most of it has been poor talent evaluation (and refusing to accept it while continuing to play the guy). Fortunately, even with some of the misses (everyone has them), I feel pretty comfortable that McBeane knows their weaknesses and will continue to work to address them, unlike prior regimes who often seemed oblivious. 

The one time we actually invested high picks in the interior o-line, both picks turned into good players: Eric Wood in round 1 and Andy Levitre in round 2. Unfortunately, we didn't re-sign Levitre, and Wood had to retire earlier than expected.

Yes, we did spend a 2nd on Ford, but we anticipated him being a right tackle, in my opinion. For whatever reason, this coaching staff and front office seem to believe that as long as they invest heavily in the tackle and center position, they can get by at guard by throwing a bunch of bodies at the position (mostly flameouts from other teams and UDFA types) and seeing what sticks.

Given what we now have invested in Josh Allen, and knowing how important protection is to the continued success of the passing offense, I'd be perfectly happy investing a couple high picks on the interior o-line next year. 

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

The one time we actually invested high picks in the interior o-line, both picks turned into good players: Eric Wood in round 1 and Andy Levitre in round 2. Unfortunately, we didn't re-sign Levitre, and Wood had to retire earlier than expected.

Yes, we did spend a 2nd on Ford, but we anticipated him being a right tackle, in my opinion. For whatever reason, this coaching staff and front office seem to believe that as long as they invest heavily in the tackle and center position, they can get by at guard by throwing a bunch of bodies at the position (mostly flameouts from other teams and UDFA types) and seeing what sticks.

Given what we now have invested in Josh Allen, and knowing how important protection is to the continued success of the passing offense, I'd be perfectly happy investing a couple high picks on the interior o-line next year. 

How far back do ya wanna go? We’ve drafted interior OL high in the draft on several previous occasions. From players who’ve been to Pro Bowls to players in the HOF, we’ve drafted some great interior OL high in the draft in our history.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, K-9 said:

How far back do ya wanna go? We’ve drafted interior OL high in the draft on several previous occasions. From players who’ve been to Pro Bowls to players in the HOF, we’ve drafted some great interior OL high in the draft in our history.

I suppose I was only thinking about recent history, say the the past 10-15 years. I'm certainly aware of the Ruben Browns, Billy Shaws, and Joe DeLamielleures of the world.

Really, all that's relevant is what this current front office does, though. All signs point to guard not being one of their priority positions, at least as it relates to prime draft capital. 

I was about to put the kabosh on this crap thread, but recent QUALITY takes on our OL has -at least temporarily aborted the crash.

Now if we can just keep the OP from quoting himself, we might all learn something new..🤷‍♂️

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Logic said:

I suppose I was only thinking about recent history, say the the past 10-15 years. I'm certainly aware of the Ruben Browns, Billy Shaws, and Joe DeLamielleures of the world.

Really, all that's relevant is what this current front office does, though. All signs point to guard not being one of their priority positions, at least as it relates to prime draft capital. 

That’s cool and I appreciate that today is what’s most relevant. But sometimes, I feel the need to remind these whippersnappers around here that we had a team long before McBeane showed up. 😄

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

I was about to put the kabosh on this crap thread, but recent QUALITY takes on our OL has -at least temporarily aborted the crash.

Now if we can just keep the OP from quoting himself, we might all learn something new..🤷‍♂️

Don't put the kibosh on the weekly thread. Just delete certain posts relating to a certain highly-intelligent poster.

28 minutes ago, Logic said:

Speaking of Ruben, wonder why the Bills haven’t brought him in to tutor. Teach them some of his tricks of the trade.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

Dude, your attention seeking is now through the roof.  Do you really think people don’t see through it?   You wanted a response, posted an absurd post, and had to re-quote yourself because you didn’t get the reaction you wanted.  You’re like the girl who acts drunk at the party. 

I'll reflect on this, but I really don't feel that I seek attention. The reason I quoted myself was because of the reactions to the post; I wouldn't have quoted myself if people hadn't been interacting. That's the only way I knew to respond to the feedback on the post. The original post was just intended to say I'm disappointed in Oliver in a humorous way after Joe DiBiase opined that what McD said about Oliver was the heaviest type of criticism he ever levels on a player.

It's possible that I have tendencies, behaviors, and motivations that are more obvious to others than they are to me, but I was just expressing disappointment in Oliver in a way that came naturally to me.

Edited by Giuseppe Tognarelli

"Tis better to keep your mouth shut when you are a fool then to open it and remove all doubt"

LOL y'all are a tough crowd. I can hang and you all do too. I like this place though Im learning a LOT

Giuseppe I appreciatee your opinion unpopular though it may be.

m

• Like (+1) 1

Where’s the guy that said heineke might light us up because he tore us up in a meaningless preseason game years ago and that it had to do with color association…. 

I’m assuming he thinks Allen is gonna have a huge meltdown this game due to already having one against similar uniforms in 2019? 

Thoughts?

@teefpretty sure you were talking with him last week. Who was it? 

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Graded by whom?  Everyone in the Kitchen Sink offense was out of sync.  If you watched Teller when he was here you saw a highly athletic player who moved around extremely well but needed development with his pass sets. He repeatedly pancaked defenders during the preseason. Whereas Ford has always played heavy-footed and soft.  

That is not the issue though comparing Ford and Teller - they were not keeping a poor performing 5th round pick over a potential tackle in Ford just drafted in rd#2.  

Teller was here and struggled and the team wanted to try and get better.  They brought in 4 new experienced interior offensive lineman - so they were not going to wait to see if a guy could develop - they were looking for more immediate impact.  

That preseason Teller was outplayed by all the veterans and was not going to make the team.  Beane had a choice - cut him and hope to place him on the practice squad as a further developmental guy or trade him and try to get something.  Beane said in the press conference - the team liked Teller, but they could get something for him and did not think he would clear waiver. 

The fact that he went to Cleveland and was below average that year - showed the Bills made the right choice at the time.  They wanted to get better at protecting Josh and having a better pass blocking O-Line.  Teller developing last year is great for Cleveland, but that would have meant the Bills needed to keep him for an additional year and since he was not beating out anyone - would he have developed without playing?  

We also do not know what the impact on the Bills and Josh Allen if instead of Spain and Mongo as veteran guards - the Bills had tried to play Teller instead.  Would his struggles have impacted the development of Josh in 2019?  

Saw this on the Texans forum. 

Have me a chuckle. 

Agreed about 12 personnel but I do think with the Bills pass rush they will be mostly in 12 personnel again this week. I think Cooks still wins his fair share against White.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Uh. What does he consider a “fair share”? 

Anything more than 5 receptions for 40-50 would probably be a good day against tre.

My thoughts, not that poster. 

Edited by The Wiz

13 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Uh. What does he consider a “fair share”? 

I can see Cooks pulling a 7 catch (12-14 target) 90 yard 1TD day. Mostly against others in our zone. Texans fans won't realize most of the catches/yards came against a zone defense with White no where near Cooks. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Will Diggs crack the top 5 All time Bills receiving leaders? For catches? For yards? Currently #32 on the list for yards with 19 games played. Frank Lewis is #5 with 4600 yards. 

I say yes. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/career-receiving.htm

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i actually think this isn’t a horrible take, only because they seem to only throw to Cooks. They just force it to him 90% of the time. He’s bound to catch some if he is targeted 15-20 times. 

Yeah Cooks will win some match ups here and there, but I think White keeps him in check for the most part.

9 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i actually think this isn’t a horrible take, only because they seem to only throw to Cooks. They just force it to him 90% of the time. He’s bound to catch some if he is targeted 15-20 times. 

I think the defense will also if they target him that much. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I think the defense will also if they target him that much. 

The Frazier/McDermott defense is not friendly to inexperienced QBs, or even a lot of experienced ones. I'm expecting at least a couple of ints because of well disguised coverages and hurried throws forced into bad windows.

12 minutes ago, uninja said:

The Frazier/McDermott defense is not friendly to inexperienced QBs, or even a lot of experienced ones. I'm expecting at least a couple of ints because of well disguised coverages and hurried throws forced into bad windows.

I think the hurries will be there but not so sure about the coverages with a few guys on the back end being out. 

Always hopeful though. 

I think they will run 12 personnel to keep a TE in for most of the game to try to give him a clean pocket.  Similar to how we did for a good portion of the game against WFT because our Oline has been so bad. 

Edited by The Wiz

Perhaps this is why so many of Josh's turnover worthy plays don't result in turnovers .. it must take some time to get used to catch his fastball. If Josh were ever mad enough and called a "Longest Yard" play, he might kill the defender or permanently change  his ability to sit at the least.

And here is some of that zip in the Washington game .. the TD to Sanders .. wow there was some heat on that

Edited by CorkScrewHill
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

Perhaps this is why so many of Josh's turnover worthy plays don't result in turnovers .. it must take some time to get used to catch his fastball. If Josh were ever mad enough and called a "Longest Yard" play, he might kill the defender or permanently change  his ability to sit at the least.

And here is some of that zip in the Washington game .. the TD to Sanders .. wow there was some heat on that

Man what's that net made out of?

8 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Man what's that net made out of?

Either vibranium or adimantium.

And Sanders didn't fall backwards on that catch, the ball knocked him out of the end zone.

Like when High Tower hit Proctor with the frisbee in Police Academy 5.

Edited by The Wiz