Bills 2021 draft pick, G Jack Anderson claimed off PS by Eagles

YoloinOhio

55 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

And stop with the Wyatt Teller talk. Just because he's a late round pick we let walk out of the facility doesn't make him Wyatt Teller. For every Wyatt Teller, there's a million nameless late round players that switched teams and flamed out. Is it possible? Yes. But Wyatt Teller is the exception, not the rule. 

Before I stop with the Wyatt Teller talk, the one memory I have of him is when we traded him away, his mom was super angry. She said on social media that the Bills would pay dearly for their mistake. We all laughed it off. But she’s the one laughing now.

Just hope we don’t hear from Jack’s mom…

9 minutes ago, jwhit34 said:

Two pages of replies about a transaction involving the Bills and Eagles and no mention of Zach Ertz. I'm shocked.

Surprised no one suggested Beane pull some sort of trade like Ertz and a 7th rounder for Sweeney and Taiwan Jones, then the Bills elevate Anderson from the practice squad and trade Anderson for Jones, making it Ertz and a 7th for Sweeney and Anderson. 

Ertz is on the COVID list!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The Eagles weren't "awarded" him off the practice squad.  PS guys are already free agents and only go through waivers when they're initially cut or if they're elevated to the roster then cut again. 

The Eagles offered him a contract on their 53-man roster (and must pay him for 3 weeks and count him against their 53-man, whether or not they keep him there).  The Bills could have countered. 

Anderson would also have had a right to say "No thanks, I'm good here!" and stay on the Bills PS.  But, there's a big difference between NFL minimum salary and practice squad money, so that wouldn't be in his interest.

Actually, a team can pay more than the minimum for a practice squad player so they did have the option to pay more than Philly is paying (which I assume is league minimum). But, unlikely we'd do that for a late round pick that hasn't shown much, practice squad players count towards the cap (or so I've read here from trusted posters), and I'd assume most young, bubble players are going to want a chance to play, not just sit on the PS. So, same result, even if the Bills did offer more it probably isn't in his best interest to stay on the PS.

Just now, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Actually, a team can pay more than the minimum for a practice squad player so they did have the option to pay more than Philly is paying (which I assume is league minimum). But, unlikely we'd do that for a late round pick that hasn't shown much, practice squad players count towards the cap (or so I've read here from trusted posters), and I'd assume most young, bubble players are going to want a chance to play, not just sit on the PS. So, same result, even if the Bills did offer more it probably isn't in his best interest to stay on the PS.

This used to be allowed, but it's my understanding that with Covid they fixed one amount for rookies and another for vets last season, and kept it that way this season

1 minute ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

They changed rules on payments to practice squad players after some teams paid players full salary to remain on PS.

Bills had that happen to a PS RB who was signed away.

15 hours ago, NI Bills Fan said:

Could this have been avoided if there had been a 4th practice squad player (Anderson) protected last week instead of 3?  That decision seemed strange at the time.

At what point in the week does the protected status start and end? (Is it Monday to Sunday for example?)

He might not have been the 4th if it was possible. For all we know he could have been the lowest priority to protect

Question does anyone know how many times he has been protected.  If they Bills where high On him I would have to think he was protected twice.  Which smart from the Eagles because if he was protected twice tells the eagles there is something there that the Bills like.  And I think Protection status are submitted today I think, might have been yesterday.  But I know there is a window that allows these players to get signed before they can be protected.

Ok did my own research.  He was protected twice.  based on reports would have been protected again this week.  However, from after the weeks games (Sunday in this Bills Case) to Tuesday any team can sign a player, So there was a window before they could protect him again.  

Edited by MAJBobby

9 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

He might not have been the 4th if it was possible. For all we know he could have been the lowest priority to protect

Of course... I just wasn't fully aware of the practice squad protection process and wondered IF Anderson was the 4th protected player last week, would it have meant the Eagles couldn't have signed him.

15 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Do they have to keep him on the active roster the rest of the season?

No but they cannot move player to practice squad without exposing player.

If a practice squad player is signed to the active roster, he will receive a minimum of three weekly paychecks, even if he is released before spending three weeks with the new team.

• Thank you (+1) 1