9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

3 minutes ago, BillsFan1 said:

The Bills were in control of the game.   Then McDermott gave the Steelers good field position twice.   Once on the 35 and once on the 50.   That turned the game.   Try the field goal from the 35.   Bass has a big leg.  If he makes it, that gives the Bills a big boost.   The one from the 50, punt the ball deep.   Make Pittsburgh go the length of the field.

And the blocked punt was horrendous at the professional level.

McDermott needs to own up to the loss and start believing in the process instead of trying to be a hero with his "go for it  Coach" calls.

The players on the other side are good too.   Coach smart.   Terrible game from Mcdermott

Some truth to this take

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think every team knows this but the pool of available OL players is shrinking every year because college guys are all playing in spread offenses.  Really having a mobile qb with a good arm like allen is the best way to overcome that 

How did that work today?

17 minutes ago, astb41 said:

Honestly this kind of loss feels like a good early season wake up call. Don’t get caught in the hype. Work. Trust the process.  We have not arrived so don’t act like we have. Let’s put a good 3 weeks together and head into KC and Tenn with a revamped mindset.

still sucks ass losing a game we should’ve won.

Well, you certainly are in midseason form with all those cliches used in one paragraph. But that's why they play the games, any given sunday.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s really my beef - we got multiple holding penalties called, while they seemed to be holding a lot.

Maybe it’s ooaching and we need to be more clever about what we do

Maybe Dion Dawkins should have done something to not end up in the hospital this summer which clearly and obviously has led him to not be ready to play the type of football he is capable of playing. He needs to sit until he's ready. He was Bobby Hart bad today.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Steelz said:

Great game Buffalo, I originally planned to come back here and trolls yinz but..  I won't. It was a great game and I honestly thought you'd pull it out. Good luck the rest of the season, I honestly have a ton of respect for your team. Great game!

You guys were the better team today.  Your DL looks like it’s going “Bud who?” and not missing Tuitt at all.

Congrats on the win and good luck!  Just beat the ***** out of the Brownies 2x, K?

• Like (+1) 1

Also like to add that we needed to stop calling gimicky QB runs.  Just call a pass and let Allen escape up the middle if we need a QB run.  Definitely needed to throw the ball or head up field.  Running sideline to sideline against the Steelers was not the answer.

Maybe today's game was our Cardinals game last season. A good wake up call

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Also like to add that we needed to stop calling gimicky QB runs.  Just call a pass and let Allen escape up the middle if we need a QB run.  Definitely needed to throw the ball or head up field.  Running sideline to sideline against the Steelers was not the answer.

Was there a single play action pass today? Play calling was 🤮

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The thing the Bills need to put them over the top is a top all-purpose RB to take the pressure off Allen, and a game wrecker on D...those 2 positions and we win the SB...

Hopefully Rousseau turns into that guy. Today was promising IMO. 

4 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

The thing the Bills need to put them over the top is a top all-purpose RB to take the pressure off Allen, and a game wrecker on D...those 2 positions and we win the SB...

Why? We wouldn't use him. The rb that us. 

Edited by Bferra13

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No more obvious than it was after the AFCC game last year.  This unit picked up exactly where it left off......getting their genitals handed to them.

Couldn’t agree with you more. I don’t want to overreact, but after watching the first half of Cleveland KC, we are in no better shape to get to the SB than last year, we treaded water, got a year older. How disappointing. This team is not set up fir a Super Biwl run. Good defenses or bad weather Or Daboll can shut this offense down at will. And our defense isn’t good enough to control or win a game on a regular basis. Oh we’ll have our occasional offensive blow out against teams that can’t execute a 4 man rush, but that’s about it… Sad realization…

• Eyeroll 1

My takes

First a big caveat..its an opening season game and those week one games always seem to end with some wonky results so it won't be for another several games to determine whether the deficiencies are a one-off or the Achilles heel of the Bills

1. The Steelers game plan and coaching was simply superior. they did a lot of "feeling out" in the first half to see what worked and what didn't. The Bills seemed like they were running with a "sand-lot" football approach.

2. The Bills D line is still a problem. They faced an O line with 2 rookies and 4 of the 5 linemen were new to the lineup. Yet they were just bad at getting to Pitts QB on critical plays and couldn't stop Harris when it counted.

3. The O line was bad - the only excuse I see here is the Steelers D line and linebackers are pretty good so they make any O line look mediocre.

4. The "homer" in me questioned a lot of the penalties. The O line hold calls on the Bills were all mostly legit. What I couldn't understand is the same calls were not being made against the Steeler's O-line. 

If they end 1-3 (can't even contemplate 0-4) after the first four games I think we'll see the same sort of issues rear their ugly heads in those games and just trying to get a wild card birth will be difficult.. 3-1 or 2-2 they probably have a legitimate shot at the division title. I think the latter records are more probable but the again this is the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Maybe today's game was our Cardinals game last season. A good wake up call

Was there a single play action pass today? Play calling was 🤮

Defense is holding the Steelers to a 3 points and we lead by a TD lets give them the ball on downs 2 times in a row and see how the defense likes that.  That second 4th and 1 where he threw it backwards was just utter garbage.  If you can't run for 1 yard between Singletary or Allen you have problems and barring that we have one of the best groups of receivers in the NFL how the hell can we not get a yard ...... throw it backwards 5 yards and spot the defense 6 yards before the guy even starts running that's how.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I mean running the ball up the middle for a one yard gain on second down is just shooting yourself in the foot too so you have to call the plays that give your team the best chance to win and with our team against the steelers that results in a lot of passes.  As a fan we can criticize everything after the fact our job is easy 😁

As a coach don’t make your day so hard with stupid decisions. That cuts both ways. The play calling and the execution was not good enough, this team in all areas was not prepared to do its job today… Who’s fault is that?

1 hour ago, Drifter said:

The receivers had a lot of drops today. Defense played great' just wasn't happening  today.

To their defense. Allen was not throwing well today.  It looked like he forgot the fundamentals he has worked on the last 2 off seasons.

I expect we will bounce back next week.  If the offense looks this bad 3 weeks in a row, then I will vrgin to worry.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

8 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Maybe Dion Dawkins should have done something to not end up in the hospital this summer which clearly and obviously has led him to not be ready to play the type of football he is capable of playing. He needs to sit until he's ready. He was Bobby Hart bad today.

Dude, that’s a top DL in the league.  It was last year, and it looks like they haven’t lost a step.

The whole OL got beaten like a drum.

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No more obvious than it was after the AFCC game last year.  This unit picked up exactly where it left off......getting their genitals handed to them.

Yup.  Yet decide to keep things the same.  Lol@ Everyone talking smack about Daryl Williams manhandling Watt last year.  Boy did he look like a bum today.  

Was worried about the interior OL, the lack of talent @ TE and Levi/CB depth.  All were evident to me today.  Can’t recall running 1 2TE set other than sneaks.   The tackles may have been worse than the interior OL.  Daboll was too cocky and got too cute

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I’m here for the overreactions. 

Go watch the first half of Cleveland vs KC and comeback and tell us how you feel about this team? We did nothing different than last year which looked inadequate once we got into the playoffs. Tell us all how we have improved this year?

2 hours later, I'm really good w/ this. I tend to rationalize everything - but there might be more good that comes out of this than bad.

The bad - we lost, and are 0-1.  That's pretty much it.

The good - a whole team realizes that they're not penciled in for the AFCCG yet.  They bought the hype, and IMMEDIATELY realize they have to earn it. The coaches, as well. Daboll was treating that game like preseason.

I truly believe we may end up w/ a better record because of what happened today. It was the ultimate in wake-up calls.  No one is sleeping anymore.

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Couldn’t agree with you more. I don’t want to overreact, but after watching the first half of Cleveland KC, we are in no better shape to get to the SB than last year, we treaded water, got a year older. How disappointing. This team is not set up fir a Super Biwl run. Good defenses or bad weather Or Daboll can shut this offense down at will. And our defense isn’t good enough to control or win a game on a regular basis. Oh we’ll have our occasional offensive blow out against teams that can’t execute a 4 man rush, but that’s about it… Sad realization…

Honestly I came away with the opposite realization...our defense was horrendous last season and they looked more than competent today.  Allen single handedly carried the team last season...this game wouldve been an absolute blowout last year and we had a chance up until the blocked punt.  I'm assuming the passing game is a bit of rust though if Allen's last season was flukey then yea we could be in trouble 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Go watch the first half of Cleveland vs KC and comeback and tell us how you feel about this team? We did nothing different than last year which looked inadequate once we got into the playoffs. Tell us all how we have improved this year?

I just saw one game. One game. You apparently have watched the whole season and can see how this all turns out. Thank you so much for joining us here and enlightening us about how terrible this all ends. I’m gonna stop watching now.

Edited by MiltonWaddams

2 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Defensive line was historically awful last year and we went to the afc championship game.  They looked pretty good today that is a monumental difference compared to last season.  What should I be looking for in the kc/Cleveland game? I'm assuming you mean since Cleveland is winning we are worse than both Cleveland and kc? 

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So Dion's 4 holding penalties weren't a problem? He looked ok to you?

I just scanned through the play by play on NFL.com and counted 4 holding penalties total - 2 on Dawkins, 1 on Morse, 1 on Williams.

They were all problems, especially given that the Pitt OL seemed able to hold, hands to the face, whatever, without penalty.

What part of “our entire OL got beaten like a drum” is reasonably translated to “Dawkins holding penalties weren’t a problem” in your unique intracranial processing?

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

What person on here didn't watch the game?  Of course I did.  Are you blind?  If your eyes work you would have noticed the Bills looked better on offense and defense and penalties are what determined the winner.

Can't say I'm with you on that call.  Offense looked pretty bad and especially the passing game.  I'm leaning towards the play calling being the problem but Allen missed a few (he was getting hurried) and there were a number of drops.  All in all the defense looked fine, the offense looked off most of the day and the special teams ultimately lost the game.  The refs had a few close possibly bad calls but I certainly wouldn't say they decided anything.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Did anyone notice Cody Ford today? I guess that's a good thing that no one pointed anything out about him. 

He wasn't good just like the entire oline.

Feliciano is complete trash as well but I guess it don't matter because he's a 'fan favorite'.