9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

27 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Too one dimensional...Allen can’t be expected to do it all...we need a more balanced approach

^^^^ This.  I always think of the Dolphins during the Marino era....pass happy offense, rarely ran the ball, and one and done in the post season IF they got there.

3 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You guys act like we lost to the Jets. I've been telling people to not take the Steelers lightly, their defense is as good as it gets in the NFL and Roethlisberger is a smart veteran. Absolutely crazy for people to think the Bills were just going to come in and steam roll a 13-3 team w/ a huge chip on their shoulder.

Game could've went either way minus a stupid drop by Sanders and questionable call back on the White interception. Week 1 is ALWAYS crazy, I know the play calling was atrocious, but they can build from this. We'll see where their heads are really at next week. If they drop 2 in a row then I'll start panicking. I am no where near throwing away the season like some people here. Have a little faith. 

You are missing the big picture.  Its not about one game against a good team. Its about McD losing in the big games. It's a valid concern. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Trying to be rational and not let the anger cloud posting, but some initial thoughts...

1) While you can't necessarily blame the defense for todays loss, this was the pretty much the same defense we saw last year. Not a problem when Allen and the offense play well, but a big problem when they don't.

2) Levi Wallace is not that guy and yes myself and others who share this sentiment understand this is a fatal mistake by this front office and coaching staff and you really have to wonder what they see that we don't.

3) The entire offensive line was trash today and the guards are a big area of concern as feared. Feliciano is/was the most overrated player on this team and not sure why he thought losing 30 pounds would be a good thing. As for Cody Ford, yes this was one of Beane's worst pics here, if not the worst.

4) I really believe Allen is good, but let's be honest when you pay a guy a record contract you have to be able to hit a deep ball from time to time and simply have to be better. Also I hate to say this but he won't last the entire season if we insist on the QB draw crap especially against top defenses like Pitt.

His AFC championship game was a disaster, and I’ll never understand why so many don’t want to recognize how often he gets dominated. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Doc Brown said:

Steelers defense just bullied us.  Great game plan and execution on their part.

We really let them do that, though.

It's true what they say about opportunities early. We had a chance to put that team down by several scores, but we let them hang around.  The game probably should have been over at halftime.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

1. Expected a close game and that's what it was until the blocked punt gave the Steelers a two score lead.

2. Not going to argue whether they were good calls by the officials or not and there weren't an excessive number of penalties against the Bills but almost every one of them seemed to  be key to helping keep the game close early and putting the Steelers in the lead in the 2nd half.  Multiple holding calls killing Bills drives, defensive calls keeping Steelers in the game.  

3. More or less no measurable improvement to the pass rush from last season and doubly bad given the Steelers line had 4 new starters.

4. Offensive play calling never adapted to address a consistent Steeler pass rush that pressured Allen on most throws.  Maybe too much empty set?

5. The blocked punt.  Questionable off-season decision to replace last season's punter with a guy with an extremely deliberate and slow punting form.  

6. Steelers made half time adjustments and the Bills didn't respond.

7. Its an opening day loss but is this something to get worried about this early? For me, no.

Agree with all of this except the pass rush, I thought it was way better.

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

You’re correct, and I don’t want to chicken little, but it’s more about the Steelers dominating the second half. The Steelers aren’t that type of good, and I wouldn’t consider them a legitimate contender. The season just begun, and all of our goals are still in sight, but this was the Bills team we saw against the Chiefs and Titans last season. This loss has as much to do with things we need to fix, as it does the greatness of the Steelers imo. 

Why would you not consider them a legitimate contender though 🤣 I keep reading this and I have no idea why.  They have a bunch of talented receivers a good prospect at rb and probably the best defense in football with one of the best coaching staffs in the nfl.  If their oline is decent they are going to be very scary 

Just now, Watkins90 said:

Did anyone just see what Cincy did on fourth down and inches under two minutes to go in the game. Play action pass to the TE. Those should have been the types of plays we were calling today. 

Yup. Did you also see Spain playing guard for them.  What happened to that guy in Buffalo? He would start over any of our current guards. 

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You guys act like we lost to the Jets. I've been telling people to not take the Steelers lightly, their defense is as good as it gets in the NFL and Roethlisberger is a smart veteran. Absolutely crazy for people to think the Bills were just going to come in and steam roll a 13-3 team w/ a huge chip on their shoulder.

Game could've went either way minus a stupid drop by Sanders and questionable call back on the White interception. Week 1 is ALWAYS crazy, I know the play calling was atrocious, but they can build from this. We'll see where their heads are really at next week. If they drop 2 in a row then I'll start panicking. I am no where near throwing away the season like some people here. Have a little faith. 

Im sure we’d be losing our minds, no matter how we lost, but there’s some justifiable “it’s how we lost” in this thread.  

We drafted a 2nd round pass rusher who’s inactive, and re-signed a guy on the OL that many of us didn’t think was worth re-signing.  Ok, coaches think that’s the move, fine… well, our OL was dominated all game, and Daboll looked like he got body snatched by Johnny 5-wide.  Maybe we should’ve used that 2nd Round Pick on IOL, like many Bills fans were clamoring. 

We gave up a blocked punt on a team that has multiple special team captains. 

Defense, meh.  Allen, meh. 

Coaching and the OL… TRASH

1 minute ago, vincec said:

They all got handles. Morse too. They were not put in a situation to succeed. 

I agree they all got handled. Not sure what you mean by not being in a situation to succeed. Great field position to start the game, had a lead most of the game... they just got dominated.

• Agree 1