9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

39 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agree with all of this and WRT defense the coaches agree with you so not sure why folks here are disagreeing - both McD and Frazier praised the defensive effort but said they need takeaways to get to the next level.

And agree with you about the offense, if you watched McD’s postgame presser it was clear from his body language that he was about to go put a foot up Dabs’ a$$.  Just hope he doesn’t overcorrect - McD goes full turtle with the slightest excuse.  

I don't know why but they were just not playing to the whistle on Sunday.........they were sound..........they made some great solo tackles and weren't missing nearly as many as they typically have.........but it was almost like they were trying to shut off the switch as soon as possible.........and most turnovers don't just fly into your waiting arms on defense.......you have to be on your toes.

My main point is Tremaine gets flat footed the split second he thinks the play is over.   You could make a highlight film of tipped passes that have gone thru his grasp and one constant is initial hesitation on his part.   Instinctive play is really the ability to think ahead......anticipate what might happen........he just doesn't seem to be able to foresee potential opportunities which negates so much of his physical talent(which is probably unmatched for an off-ball LB).

I'm frustrated because I was worried about Daboll getting wicky-wacky (Wyche/Mularkey reference) based on their preseason approach.........but was hoping that was just to mislead the Steelers.    Then it played out like I feared.    But I was aware that they might lose the game........and said before the game that if they have to lose one of the first two, the Steelers is the one.   They need to take care of business in Miami and hopefully the respond to the poor performance they just gave with a strong one against the Fish.   Don't want to get 2 games behind in the division so early.   

30 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

71% 11 personnel in 2020 per Hapless post above.

I think you might have been compelled to want to disagree with me because you've given me the red x on concepts like more play action being used in the Bills offense as well.    There was none on Sunday.   A lot of my points were re-inforced by that play calling.

We've also disagreed on the approach at WR..........I thought they were too heavy on guys who do short to intermediate work.......which again, simplifies things for the defense.     I'm not looking to go 70's Al Davis here with 20 air yards per attempt but the reason the offense turned from atrocious in 2018 to serviceable in 2019 was WR separation.    If you can't threaten teams deep and you run 5 receivers into the pattern then they will squat on you and limit how open you can get underneath.

Being relatively one-dimensional in your WR corps is a problem.    I know Allen has had issues getting over the top..........if it's a 20-30 yard target that he can throw on a line he's generally been exceptional........but throws requiring arc/touch/timing they have been an issue.   One way to resolve that is have that guy who can go up and physically dominate a boundary CB in a contested catch situation.......which would allow Allen to under throw the ball.    The Bills don't have that and we've disagreed on the value of that.......but also saw what a difference it makes for Pittsburgh being able to under throw the deep ball and draw PI's or have a guy like Claypool rip the ball away for a huge gain.   

Think you have me confused buddy I have neither argued with you about play action - indeed it was one of the first things I said was missing Sunday and I have never disagreed with the need for someone to go deep and indeed said I didn't like the Sanders signing because the thing he still does really well, find the soft spots to sit down in zone, is the skillset we already have most covered with Diggs and Beas . We agreed on that point in the same thread where we were discussing the use of 4 and 5 WR sets. I haven't disputed either of the other too points with you at any point. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK cool.  Got some data then.

From Sharp Football Stats.

5 WR (0,0) 1% of plays (8 plays).  Pass rate 75% Pass YPA 22.3 (Air YPA 21.5)

4 WR (1,0) 15% of plays (186 plays). Pass rate 74% Pass YPA 8.4 (Air YPA 7.4)

3 WR (1,1) 71% of plays (860 plays). Pass Rate 64% Pass YPA 7.6 (Air YPA 8.8)

2 WR (1,2) 8% of plays (91 plays).  Pass Rate 36% Pass YPA 9.6 (Air YPA 12.2)

Unsure why Air YPA are higher than YPA in some cases - guys running backwards trying to find some room?

The most successful was 5 WR, but we only ran it 8 plays.  Someone whose stat mojo is weak sauce might look at that and say "Oh, OK, look at that, we should run it more often" but the Franks Hot Sauce Stats Mojo says "danger Will Robinson when you compare two groups where one group has 10 or 100x higher numbers than another"

What you say here seems logical, not to mention that the threat of an occasional run or such might be of assistance in keeping the defense guessing.

I agree with you completely.  The open question to me is whether McDermott will have a raging mad-on sufficient to persuade Daboll to work on it.  I would kinda like to be a fly on the wall for that discussion.

The running game appeared in the last act! Take what they give you!  A nice, nifty, well executed screen is usually helpful!