trade idea - Jake Fromm to ATL

With AJ McCarron out for the season, ATL has only two QBs on their roster, and one of them is an undrafted rookie free agent (Felipe Franks). I prefer Webb to Fromm, although honestly it's more like six of one/half dozen of the other. Regardless, they're both fine as third stringers, so the Bills aren't creating any vulnerabilities. Rather than wait until cuts and hope they get lucky, Atlanta could secure via a trade a modestly credible backup in Fromm who also happens to be a hometown hero. And if they do it quickly, they'd at least get some camp under Fromm's belt. My view: if the Falcons offered a 4th rounder (or some combination that's equivalent to that) in the 2022 draft, I'd be all over it.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/falcons/2021/08/23/aj-mccarron-acl-tear-atlanta-falcons-quarterback/8239250002/

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 4

Well I believe we did get a draft pick for AJ McCarron so anything is possible.

If Fromm were released, one of the places higher on his list likely would be Atlanta, (I'm making a big assumption here since he went to Georgia, he's from the south??) so from that standpoint Atlanta could wait us out.  The only risk to them is some other team also is interested in him and does instead work out a trade with the Bills beforehand.

5 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

Fromm will be available soon enough.

If they did trade for him it would be for a 7th if the Bills were lucky. 

If he's on waivers, it doesn't mean ATL will get him. They simply can't go into the season with only one credible QB. Sometimes you have to overpay a little to address a glaring need.

8 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Why would Atlanta give up anything for Jake Fromm let a lone a 4th rounder...

Because they're literally desperate. A team cannot go into a season opener with only one real QB on the roster.

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

Fromm has never taken a snap in a real game.  Why would Atlanta want a totally inexperienced backup? 

Because all of the other backs have been claimed. It's desperation time there.

• Disagree 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Atlanta could secure via a trade a modestly credible backup in Fromm

Are you basing that on more than that one pass late in the Week 1 preseason game?

Because I cant think of anything else he has shown otherwise..

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

If he's on waivers, it doesn't mean ATL will get him. They simply can't go into the season with only one credible QB. Sometimes you have to overpay a little to address a glaring need.

Fromm isn't really a credible QB though.  He is JAG.  They will find someone just as good or better for free or they will find a better trade.

Just now, Aussie Joe said:

Are you basing that on more than that one pass late in the Week 1 preseason game?

Because I cant think of anything else he has shown otherwise..

No, it's based on the fact that he was actually drafted in a non-garbage time round (the fifth) and played four seasons against teams filled with NFL players-to-be. He is virtually the same guy as AJ McCarron, also a fifth rounder who played against the big boys in the SEC for years. 

Because they're literally desperate. A team cannot go into a season opener with only one real QB on the roster.

Because all of the other backs have been claimed. It's desperation time there.

No they haven't, read the list I added after your reply.   They may just coax Matt Schaub back for another year.  

They are not desperate.  They can either sign one now or wait for the 53 cutdown.  

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

Fromm isn't really a credible QB though.  He is JAG.  They will find someone just as good or better for free or they will find a better trade.

Who? No one is available at this point. And what team is going to part with their backup QB at this stage?

I mean MAYBE he could fetch a 2023 conditional 7th round pick. MAYBE.

More likely he's out of the NFL and appearing as a talking head on ESPN's College Gameday Live sooner than later.

If I was Atlanta and was concerned about my backup QB situation, I'd try to pry Foles away from the Bears. They've got Dalton starting and Fields waiting in the wings. They don't need Foles.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

No, it's based on the fact that he was actually drafted in a non-garbage time round (the fifth) and played four seasons against teams filled with NFL players-to-be. He is virtually the same guy as AJ McCarron, also a fifth rounder who played against the big boys in the SEC for years. 

There will be more credible options than him available..

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

They're literally desperate. Desperation causes people to do things they normally wouldn't.

They're desperate, not stupid. 

You want a guy as good as Fromm, there are dozens and dozens out there. I googled FA QBs and came up with Bortles, Griffin III, Rosen, Kaepernick and Schaub. You need someone as good as Fromm, they're simply not that hard to find that you're left with your best option being Fromm for a 4th. That would be nuts.

Edited by Thurman#1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I mean MAYBE he could fetch a 2023 conditional 7th round pick. MAYBE.

More likely he's out of the NFL and appearing as a talking head on ESPN's College Gameday Live sooner than later.

If I was Atlanta and was concerned about my backup QB situation, I'd try to pry Foles away from the Bears. They've got Dalton starting and Fields waiting in the wings. They don't need Foles.

That makes some sense. Big salary though, right? 

1 minute ago, Scott7975 said:

For instance, I think Blake Bortles is out there still.  He isn't good but he is probably better than Fromm and definitely has more experience.

It's amazing to me that Bortles is completely out of the league. Didn't play last year and threw two passes in 2019. He's not that old (29) and his numbers while not great are moderately OK (for a backup) -- https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm. Maybe he doesn't want to play anymore.

• Agree 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

It's amazing to me that Bortles is completely out of the league. Didn't play last year and threw two passes in 2019. He's not that old (29) and his numbers while not great are moderately OK (for a backup) -- https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BortBl00.htm. Maybe he doesn't want to play anymore.

Me too.  I thought he was good enough to be a backup.  Maybe he has a poor attitude?

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

They could sign Rosen, Bortles, RG3, and more before trading for Fromm. 

Is Rosen or RG3 better than Fromm? I am not sure; both RG3 and Rosen are terrible. But yeah, there are some names out there, most of whom are bad. Bortles intrigues me slightly because he has a little bit of success in the league and is physically decent. But he's been out of the league since the end of 2019. 

7 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

They're desperate, not stupid. 

You want a guy as good as Fromm, there are dozens and dozens out there. I googled FA QBs and came up with Bortles, Griffin III, Rosen, Kaepernick. You need someone as good as Fromm, they're simply not that hard to find that you're left with your best option being Fromm for a 4th. That would be nuts.

Rosen and RGIII are really bad players. Kaepernick will not be playing for the Falcons. Shaub is in his 40s and Bortles hasn't been on a team since 2019. Fromm has at least been through camp with a really good team and is in game shape. 

Is Rosen or RG3 better than Fromm? I am not sure; both RG3 and Rosen are terrible. But yeah, there are some names out there, most of whom are bad. Bortles intrigues me slightly because he has a little bit of success in the league and is physically decent. But he's been out of the league since the end of 2019. 

I would think most coaches/GM's would put any of those guys on the field before Fromm. All Fromm has over them is there is less tape on him. But you watch the tape he does have in pre-season and its not great. 

• Like (+1) 1