Andre Smith is all about business (article from The Athletic)

Logic

https://theathletic.com/2776711/2021/08/18/hes-always-been-about-business-andre-smiths-path-to-bills-carved-by-wise-investments/

North Carolina would go on to win 37-35. That was the last time he played against Florida State. That 2016 sophomore season was Smith’s best, but he tore his pectoral muscle. Then in 2017, his season ended after two games because he needed knee surgery. Even though he had only one strong season of tape, Smith decided to go to the NFL. Again, Powell wasn’t sure about his cousin’s choice. But for Smith, it was simple. He didn’t trust North Carolina to take care of his body anymore. And if he was going to get hurt again, he wanted to get paid to do it.

“If the worst-case scenario is I go undrafted, then I go undrafted, get into someone’s camp and I know I’m going to make someone’s roster,” Smith told his cousin.

That was the end of the conversation.

North Carolina coaches tried to talk him out of it by showing Smith what the scouts were saying. Smith already knew he wasn’t going to get drafted high. He didn’t need scouts to tell him having only one season of tape was going to hurt him.

“I’m just going to bet on myself,” Smith said.

Current Bills special teams coordinator Heath Farwell was an assistant on Carolina’s staff at the time. Farwell always tells players the best way to buy yourself time to develop is to make yourself useful on special teams. That’s what Smith did in Carolina. He was active for only three games as a rookie but played more than 50 percent of special teams snaps in each game. He played 65 percent of the team’s special teams snaps in 2019.

“He was a pro as a rookie,” Farwell says.

Heading into the 2020 season, a scheme change on defense had Smith on the outside looking in at Carolina’s roster. The pandemic made roster movement at cut-down day a little less active than usual, but when the Bills found out Smith was going to get cut, general manager Brandon Beane picked up the phone to do some research.
Everybody he talked to raved about Smith’s character.

“Sometimes, a guy is a good player, but he’s just not a great fit for what they’re doing or they’re looking to just hit the reset button,” Beane says

“Every year we talk to the rookies and young guys about it at the beginning of camp,” Beane says. “If you’re not starting, you need to be good in a couple of phases on this team. Is there an exception here or there? Yes, but for the most part, you need to be good in at least two phases and it helps your chances if you’re good in at least three phases.”

Smith’s taken care of that. He also performed well when asked to fill in at linebacker against the Patriots. That’s why after the Bills lost to the Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game, Farwell found him and said, “I don’t know what your situation is, but we want you back.”

I'm rooting for this guy. Seems to have a good head on his shoulders and to be all about "the process". He smartly realized early on that special teams prowess is the best way to make himself useful and earn a roster spot.

I like what I've seen from him so far on defense, too. Personally, I'd consider him a roster lock at this point.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I too am rooting for this guy.  This article alone justifies my subscription to The Athletic.  There are so many well written articles about more sports than you could possibly even imagine.

As with Andre Smith - well worth the investment.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I really like this guy's name.  Andre Smith. Just sounds right for Buffalo. I hope he makes it.

I heard his middle name is "Thurman."

And he's the guy they signed last year who was a ST's ace, right?

• Like (+1) 1

I read this article a couple of days ago. Guy has his priorities in order. Just got back from vacation and watched the game. This kids is going to make the team. He’s a great find. Solid ST player from last year. Saw some nice instincts on defense. I know it’s just one pre season game but the tape don’t lie. He’s not a starter for sure but a nice developmental player

20 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

Andre Smith looks like he could be a gem, but it’s too early to comment further on that. He had a great game, no doubt but it’s just one game.

Matakevich looked awesome as well. Once again, it’s early.. but I think we got great depth at LB.

Even Giles-Harris is looking beastly, hoping we can stash him on the practice squad but have a feeling he's going to get claimed on waivers quickly (assuming we aren't going to keep him to begin with).

On 8/19/2021 at 7:36 PM, Victory Formation said:

Andre Smith looks like he could be a gem, but it’s too early to comment further on that. He had a great game, no doubt but it’s just one game.

Matakevich looked awesome as well. Once again, it’s early.. but I think we got great depth at LB.

Okay, here we are a week later. I’m convinced that he should make the team.