Can someone explain to me the Pats strategy?

appoo

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

Belichick will be 69 at the start of the 2021 season. I think this is a sign that he wants to retool on the fly for one more run rather than go into full rebuild mode. He won't coach forever and, hopefully, he doesn't find another QB before he calls it quits.

• Like (+1) 2

What the Pats are doing feels like weird Jete/previous FO Bills type moves where they sign biggish name FA to big deals in the hope of being competitive and putting butts in seats to sell tickets. Invariably it doesn't work and the team sucks, but doesn't suck enough to really draft a franchise changing player.

Being on the other side of this feels genuinely strange and exciting all at the same time.

27 minutes ago, appoo said:

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

Either rebuild or try to contend. They're doing neither.

my biggest worry is that they now land Deshaun Watson. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, appoo said:

They're spending a bunch of money on signing good to above average F/As, none of whom will push them over into contending range when you've hollowed out your OLine, have the broken down version of Cam Newton as your QB, and don't have much WR talent.

All they're really doing is setting themselves up to pick at 15 - 20, so basically out of the running for a franchise QB. Unless their strategy is a 5 years of being mediocre, I don't get it.

Either rebuild or try to contend. They're doing neither.

It worked for us after 17-18 years......😀

• Haha (+1) 1

BB has an aura about him because of his greatness as a coach - and there is no doubt about that.  I think most of us agree that he's the best ever.

But he has never been all that as a GM.  Always has his share of head-scratching moves,  and his draft record is middlin' at best.  He benefitted for years from a GOAT QB taking pay cuts and having a salary below his value, and also from FA's taking pay cuts to play with that GOAT.  

This reminds me of drought-era Bills, or other teams that "won" the offseason with FA additions but then fizzled in the regular season.  None of what they're doing concerns me right now. They still have Cam behind center.

BB is returning to the beginning. Like in the early days of their dynasty, BB is building a defense that will keep games close and will rely on a smart QB who can move the chains and protect the football. That can’t be Newton, which is why they are gonna target Mac Jones in the draft. He’s the best match for what they need their QB to do. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

How is the Patriots O-Line "hollowed out"????

Huh??

The Patriots have one of the best O-Lines in football for 2021. It's going to be an elite unit.

2 excellent OTs in Wynn and Trent Brown

2 excellent OGs in Mason and Onewnu.

The Patriots may have roster issues: OL is not 1 of them.

They don’t have Josh Allen and Tom Brady isn’t walking through the door anytime soon 

• Dislike 1

35 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

All about mismatches on offense - Jonnu Smith gives them a mismatch in every game to try and exploit like they had with Gronk. And given their clear shortcomings in the passing game - they are shoring up the power run game with Trent Brown. On Defense, they are actually similar to us in strategy where the scheme fit is paramount (their scheme features more man to man because of Gilmore). The idea is to be adequate on Offense with few mistakes and have an elite defense I think.

What has Jonnu Smith done to earn the praise you gave him and this contract?  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Locomark said:

It’s “The we don’t have a decent QB so we are going to buy other good players and hope for the best strategy” We all should recognize it. We did it for decades. 

Or is it...filling holes that are a need on your team and you are utilizing free agents to do it, the way the NFL and the player association designed it. Also Same thing everyone else in the NFL is doing. ..

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Like (+1) 1