Joe Buscaglia's Mock Offseason

DCOrange

5 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

From a mid to longer term perspective leaving the opportunity for draftees to fill and grow is the way to go.  Allowing Davis to move into the 3rd role goes with that.  Not overrecruiting the RBs employs the same philosophy.

Cole Beasley?

I'm not opposed to drafting a WR mid rounds. But we don't need to spend our 2nd Rounder on one to hop Gabe Davis on the depth chart. Diggs, Davis, Beasley should be our starting lineup. If you want to get someone to replace Isaiah McKenzie, cool. But not a 2nd and certainly not for someone to move above Davis.

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Cole Beasley?

I'm not opposed to drafting a WR mid rounds. But we don't need to spend our 2nd Rounder on one to hop Gabe Davis on the depth chart. Diggs, Davis, Beasley should be our starting lineup. If you want to get someone to replace Isaiah McKenzie, cool. But not a 2nd and certainly not for someone to move above Davis.

Yes, what I meant was the progression of G Davis going from the 4th option (Diggs/Brown/Beas then Davis) up to the third option (Diggs/Beas/ then Davis).

I'm not against the Bills drafting a WR either.  Eventually need to replace Beasley.  And playmakers are always  welcome.  If they think Toney is worth it, it wouldn't bother me.

Nice job Joe B. If you had any clue (or contacts in the Bills FO) you would have seen Milano as a possible re-sign. Is it any wonder why no one signs up for The Atlantic. 

Can’s wait for his Mock Drafts where he pads his narratives with in-depth adjectives like “He’s really GOOD”, “He might not be that GREAT” or “He’s really FAST”. 

Keep up the great work Joe!!

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

Not sure where he's getting Wallace and Boettger for those amounts.  An RFA tender for original round alone is $2.133M.  And I don't see Barkley being back or Feliciano getting more than $4M/year.

He had the Bills not tender them, allow them to become UFA's then re-sign them.

16 minutes ago, purple haze said:

He had the Bills not tender them, allow them to become UFA's then re-sign them.

Yeah, someone clarified that part.  Again, not even close to reality having them re-sign for that little.

17 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Looks like he doesn’t have faith in BoJo...

He does. He's talked about it He just thinks Bojo will get more money than he's willing to spend on the position.

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Joe B said the way the contract is structured would likely allow Buffalo to do this without needing his permission at all. It would just convert some of his salary into a signing bonus to save ~1.5 mil in cap space.

Joe B expects Radunz to compete with Ryan Bates for the starting RT spot. It includes who leaves via free agency in the article. I can add that into the OP.

I think you might've slightly misspoken there.

You can't change a guy's signed contract without his permission. Ever.

But what you maybe meant is that Klein might not mind or have a problem with switching the money from salary to signing bonus. That's a reasonable proposal, though again, if Klein wanted to say no, he could.

16 hours ago, Doc said:

Not sure where he's getting Wallace and Boettger for those amounts.  An RFA tender for original round alone is $2.133M.  And I don't see Barkley being back or Feliciano getting more than $4M/year.

Both predictions I've seen of Feliciano have him worth around $7M a year.

Spotrac around $8M:  https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/salary-cap-series-middle-class-free-agents-facing-salary-squeeze/article_61d8151a-7dd6-11eb-a132-f7bb752936f9.html

Buffalo Rumblings $7.5M:  https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/3/8/22319256/contract-projections-for-all-of-the-buffalo-bills-free-agents

Joe puts them right in the exact same area.

The contract could be structured to cut this year's cap impact lower, to maybe around $3M or $4M, probably.

Feliciano seems likely to give us a significant hometown discount, but don't expect 50% off. Very few are willing to give away that much.

And IMO as I said in the other thread, I doubt there's any way they go into this season, when they have to be thinking about Super Bowl contention, with their backup being Fromm, a guy who hasn't taken a single NFL snap or had a whole offseason or even a real in-season, as he wasn't able to be near enough the other players as to have the slightest possibility of catching COVID, as he was the COVID backup.

If you don't like Barkley, that's fair, but if not him, they'll almost certainly bring in someone who costs as much or more. You don't want Fromm or Webb to have the possibility of being your first backup if Allen is injured. Not in a year where you think you might make the Super Bowl.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, Mango said:

Not that it is a huge deal, but I don't get letting Bojo walk. In the grand scheme of things, punters and kickers are fairly cheap. They don't provide a huge amount of savings by letting them walk. He was an asset last year, just keep the kid around for a couple 100k more. 

Joe is assuming that keeping Bojorquez will cost around $2.5M or more. At that price, he doesn't want him back.

If you're right and it only requires what you say it will, I think they would absolutely keep him. I am with you in wanting them to value the position. If he's right about how expensive it will be, I think that this year they may have to see him as a luxury, where in any other year they'd pay the man and be done with it.

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Nice job Joe B. If you had any clue (or contacts in the Bills FO) you would have seen Milano as a possible re-sign. Is it any wonder why no one signs up for The Atlantic. 

Can’s wait for his Mock Drafts where he pads his narratives with in-depth adjectives like “He’s really GOOD”, “He might not be that GREAT” or “He’s really FAST”. 

Keep up the great work Joe!!

That's ridiculous.

Joe absolutely DID see Milano as a possible re-sign, as he's said time and time again.

And he has contacts in the Bills FO, but not contacts who tell him in advance what the Bills are going to do so he can publish it and tell the world. And thank goodness for that.

He finally had to make a prediction, and he did that. Next time you see someone predict the whole roster perfectly this early in the season, let us know. I'll follow him around in hopes of catching him walking on water.

Edited by Thurman#1

9 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Cole Beasley?

And what happens when one gets hurt?  How’d did those stud WRs fair against the chiefs in the AFCCG?  They couldn’t get opens. We need more playmakers.  Period.  Evolve the offense, don’t stay the same. Or in this case, get worse (minus John brown).  We have to be better next year 

Edited by NewEra

Roberts is a luxury I don’t see us investing only because of the cap this year.  In a normal year we keep him, but McKenzie provides more flexibility and should be cheap.  He can do gadget plays, can be a backup WR, and in 19 was a CB for one game.  He may not be as dynamic as Roberts, but Roberts does not impress me as a backup WR.  I thought he was terrible in the Titans game.

As far as Joe B’s article, he is already wrong on Milano.  Joe B tends to write decent articles.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

He does. He's talked about it He just thinks Bojo will get more money than he's willing to spend on the position.

I think you might've slightly misspoken there.

You can't change a guy's signed contract without his permission. Ever.

But what you maybe meant is that Klein might not mind or have a problem with switching the money from salary to signing bonus. That's a reasonable proposal, though again, if Klein wanted to say no, he could.

Quote from the article:

Although it would increase his 2022 cap hit by the same amount, he would carry a comparatively small 2022 dead-cap hit (~$1.95 million) if the Bills reworked the contract and wanted to move on after the season. Most contracts allow teams to do this whenever they’d like without permission from the player, making it a pretty straightforward transaction.

20 hours ago, Estro said:

I might be in the minority but Rondale Moore doesn't move the needle for me.  As a matter of philosophy I think its best to stay away from 175 lb athletes in the NFL.  

I just don't see it with him. Tavon Austin, was a more electric athlete, IMO & I jisy dont think players that size translate in the pros

Wiki has Rondale Moore at 180. Tyreek Hill is 185. Beasley is 174. Antonio Brown is 185. Brandin Cooks is 183. Desean Jackson is 175.

While I see where you're going, there are a significant number of guys that small, and if you want a guy with obscene quicks and speed, sometimes you have to go that way.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My man did all that work and it's useless after a couple hours. Lol. It was a good read though. 

This made me laugh! 😂

With that said, I’m guessing there are dozens of people on this very message board who would give their left nut to get paid to do that kind of work.

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

Quote from the article:

Although it would increase his 2022 cap hit by the same amount, he would carry a comparatively small 2022 dead-cap hit (~$1.95 million) if the Bills reworked the contract and wanted to move on after the season. Most contracts allow teams to do this whenever they’d like without permission from the player, making it a pretty straightforward transaction.

Very interesting. Thank you for correcting me.

If no change is required to the contract because the right is already written in, then certainly they could do it.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wiki has Rondale Moore at 180. Tyreek Hill is 185. Beasley is 174. 

While I see where you're going, there are a significant number of guys that small, and if you want a guy with obscene quicks and speed, sometimes you have to go that way.

I'd also say at 5'9", 180+ lbs is actually pretty stocky. He's short but he's super strong. This isn't like Hollywood Brown where he was a twig on top of being short.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My man did all that work and it's useless after a couple hours. Lol. It was a good read though. 

It's far from useless. It's still really interesting and thought-provoking, though much less so if you're not paying.

It's already proven an imperfect prediction, but they're all going to be imperfect.

Edited by Thurman#1

https://theathletic.com/2445275/2021/03/12/how-matt-milano-re-signing-with-bills-changes-buffalos-offseason-and-future/

I'm just including it here because it's essentially the same conversation; Joe B published an article this morning talking about the ramifications of the Milano deal on the rest of the offseason. For those that don't subscribe, the summary of it is essentially this:

• This leaves us with ~11 mil in cap space right now with the flexibility to get up to 20-23 mil based on a few cuts/restructures.
  • Likely takes us out of the running for the top-tier pass-rushers, but he thinks we could still be involved with the mid-tier guys, such as Carl Lawson, Trey Hendrickson, Denico Autry, Melvin Ingram, and Romeo Okwara. He thinks we're likely looking for a strength-based edge guy rather than a speed/bend type guy as he thinks our main issue was setting the edge and keeping the QB in the pocket. My note here: I wonder if this has something to do with the reported interest in Autry, as that would seemingly fit him to a T. We have until March 21st to get out of Addison's roster bonus, so the expectation is that we'll make our move for a pass rusher early in free agency so that we can cut Addison.
  • With all the OLinemen getting cut, he thinks this will drive the asking prices down and play into our hands to allow us to get at least one more starting OLineman in free agency. He thinks they'll likely just opt to bring Feliciano back but you never really know.
  • He thinks this definitely takes us down a peg in terms of what we can spend on a tight end. He thinks Henry, Jonnu, and Ertz are out as options and has returned to liking the idea of acquiring Cam Brate. My note here: yes please.
  • Lastly, he says this makes Edmunds' 5th year option less of a slam dunk, but ultimately, he thinks they're still pretty likely to pick it up. My note here: I may be mistaken, but I think we could theoretically decline the 5th year option, play the year out, and then give him one of the tags for slightly more money if we aren't comfortable committing to his 5th year a couple months from now?

50 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I'd also say at 5'9", 180+ lbs is actually pretty stocky. He's short but he's super strong. This isn't like Hollywood Brown where he was a twig on top of being short.

Rondale Moore isn't like that skinny guy from Da U who was always injured. 

Moore squats 600 lbs. 

https://primetimesportstalk.com/2020/12/31/2021-nfl-draft-scouting-report-rondale-moore/

55 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2445275/2021/03/12/how-matt-milano-re-signing-with-bills-changes-buffalos-offseason-and-future/

I'm just including it here because it's essentially the same conversation; Joe B published an article this morning talking about the ramifications of the Milano deal on the rest of the offseason. For those that don't subscribe, the summary of it is essentially this:

• This leaves us with ~11 mil in cap space right now with the flexibility to get up to 20-23 mil based on a few cuts/restructures.
  • Likely takes us out of the running for the top-tier pass-rushers, but he thinks we could still be involved with the mid-tier guys, such as Carl Lawson, Trey Hendrickson, Denico Autry, Melvin Ingram, and Romeo Okwara. He thinks we're likely looking for a strength-based edge guy rather than a speed/bend type guy as he thinks our main issue was setting the edge and keeping the QB in the pocket. My note here: I wonder if this has something to do with the reported interest in Autry, as that would seemingly fit him to a T. We have until March 21st to get out of Addison's roster bonus, so the expectation is that we'll make our move for a pass rusher early in free agency so that we can cut Addison.
  • With all the OLinemen getting cut, he thinks this will drive the asking prices down and play into our hands to allow us to get at least one more starting OLineman in free agency. He thinks they'll likely just opt to bring Feliciano back but you never really know.
  • He thinks this definitely takes us down a peg in terms of what we can spend on a tight end. He thinks Henry, Jonnu, and Ertz are out as options and has returned to liking the idea of acquiring Cam Brate. My note here: yes please.
  • Lastly, he says this makes Edmunds' 5th year option less of a slam dunk, but ultimately, he thinks they're still pretty likely to pick it up. My note here: I may be mistaken, but I think we could theoretically decline the 5th year option, play the year out, and then give him one of the tags for slightly more money if we aren't comfortable committing to his 5th year a couple months from now?

Bullet point 2 is essentially saying they need to replace Shaq Lawson

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's far from useless. It's still really interesting and thought-provoking, though much less so if you're not paying.

It's already proven an imperfect prediction, but they're all going to be imperfect.

No need to defend he probably felt the same way. At least give him a couple days Beane, lol. 

I'm not saying he was wrong, it's mostly just a time killer but I thought it was funny. 

Let me add that love reading Joe's articles. I joined the Athletic for his player write ups and grades. He's one of the only local guys that does it. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Disagree 1

After the Milano signing,they have about enough to sign their rookies. I think Matt could inspire the 3 I want to return; Williams,Feliciano McKenzie, to consider a creative deal with low cap hit for 2021. Milano supposedly just a 7 million cap hit this season. To add DE or TE will require more restructures or wait until the draft.

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/12/bills-mock-offseason-2021-post-matt-milano-re-signing-predicting-free-agency-cuts-draft-picks/

Joe has updated his mock offseason to account for the Milano re-signing. Changes made:

• Has us trading a 7th round pick for Cam Brate instead of the Zach Ertz trade
  • Still has us signing P Michael Palardy but he just signed with Miami; I'd say we can insert a different cheap P in here instead
  • No more 4th round comp pick; we'd still have a chance at a 6th rounder instead
  • #78: S/LB Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State (instead of LB Chazz Surratt)
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 3/11/2021 at 8:37 AM, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/11/bills-mock-offseason-2021-predicting-free-agent-signings-cuts-and-draft-picks/

As always with The Athletic, it's behind a paywall, but I'll list the moves here. This is what Joe B is guessing the Bills will ultimately do this offseason.

Leaving via Free Agency:

• LB Matt Milano - a different article from The Athletic predicts he'll end up in Washington
  • OT Darryl Williams

Poor Joey B, but frankly, the less of this prediction that comes true, the better.

Now bring back McKenzie!

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I was completely fine with Milano leaving considering Klein is still on the roster and he filled in fine for him and the much bigger and more valuable need being pass rush. 

You were "fine" with Klein replacing Milano?  Come on.

On 3/11/2021 at 7:57 AM, Mr. WEO said:

Who is the better punt returner?   Returning kicks is often a losing proposition.

The question is who's better on offense. I think it's a wash as returners. McKenzie is clearly the better wr. Roberts had like 1 ball thrown to him and he dropped it into a interception. Give me McKittrick....

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Wiki has Rondale Moore at 180. Tyreek Hill is 185. Beasley is 174. Antonio Brown is 185. Brandin Cooks is 183. Desean Jackson is 175.

He did not play at 180, maybe he can get there, but hes rail thin on film at Purdue, small and skinny

19 minutes ago, swimtoga said:

Joe B is trash.

I'm a fan of his work, but I do think he's slipped a little bit.  Him and Fairburn are good, but sometimes they're very matter of fact about things they really have no clue about.

I've lately been enjoying Greg Thompson lately, he doesn't take himself as seriously and does a great job. 

Joe B is still go to come draft season, he puts in the work, but ever since the switch to the Athletic I just feel like he's not as honed in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

If he keeps making changes as the off-season unfolds, come end of April he is going to be spot on...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Estro said:

He did not play at 180, maybe he can get there, but hes rail thin on film at Purdue, small and skinny

I'm a fan of his work, but I do think he's slipped a little bit.  Him and Fairburn are good, but sometimes they're very matter of fact about things they really have no clue about.

I've lately been enjoying Greg Thompson lately, he doesn't take himself as seriously and does a great job. 

Joe B is still go to come draft season, he puts in the work, but ever since the switch to the Athletic I just feel like he's not as honed in.

Lol. Small and skinny?  Look at the guys quads.  He's reported to squat 600 lbs. 

14 hours ago, DCOrange said:

https://theathletic.com/2441292/2021/03/12/bills-mock-offseason-2021-post-matt-milano-re-signing-predicting-free-agency-cuts-draft-picks/

Joe has updated his mock offseason to account for the Milano re-signing. Changes made:

• Has us trading a 7th round pick for Cam Brate instead of the Zach Ertz trade
  • Still has us signing P Michael Palardy but he just signed with Miami; I'd say we can insert a different cheap P in here instead
  • No more 4th round comp pick; we'd still have a chance at a 6th rounder instead
  • #78: S/LB Hamsah Nasirildeen, Florida State (instead of LB Chazz Surratt)

Love the Nasirildeen instead of Surratt switch. He'd fit in beautifully here.