Think The Empty (Or Mostly Empty) Stadiums Improved Allen's Performance

Irv

51 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I will say my worry is tempered by the Cant Touch This video from yesterday. The boys look loose and ready to have a good time.

While I agree with you, Tre White REALLY needs to work with Josh. He was showing practice squad level moves.

I think the distinct lack of meteors plowing into the earth has helped Allen this season. I'm concerned that next season, there will a lot more meteors smashing into one bills drive during games that could hinder Allen's production. 

I think you could make the argument that no crowds made it easier for offenses. But, here's a question—if playing with no fans was such a big reason for Allen's success, then why didn't every quarterback in the league take a massive jump in performance, accuracy, decision making, etc?

Every QB played in mostly empty stadiums this year. Only few did what Allen did.

16 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I think not having fans absolutely helped him. I also think he has grown enough so that when fans do return, even at full capacity, he will be just fine.

Yep, me too.

Josh clearly has a panic mode which can get ugly.  When he's in it, he'll do anything, and none of it is good.

Maybe he has grown out of that, but we haven't seen it in a long time.

I think the empty stadiums contributed to this.  I don't think it's the sole factor, but it played a part.

I would think lack of noise, chaos, confusion, and crowd-infused adrenaline would help almost everyone on the field, for both teams, both sides of the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yep, me too.

Josh clearly has a panic mode which can get ugly.  When he's in it, he'll do anything, and none of it is good.

Maybe he has grown out of that, but we haven't seen it in a long time.

I think the empty stadiums contributed to this.  I don't think it's the sole factor, but it played a part.

I would think lack of noise, chaos, confusion, and crowd-infused adrenaline would help almost everyone on the field, for both teams, both sides of the ball.

Seriously?

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Correlation does not equal causality.

He played well under pressure at Dallas and Pittsburgh in 2019, in front of hostile crowds on national TV. I'd say his improvement this year was due to another year of experience and off-season training, not the absence of crowds.

It's the home stadium fans and the pressure he feels to perform in front of them that is the problem. Away stadiums would not have the same effect.

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Source.

I'm sorry, but I don't have it off hand. It was last year after a game or in a midweek presser. It was a discussion point.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Correlation does not equal causality.

He played well under pressure at Dallas and Pittsburgh in 2019, in front of hostile crowds on national TV. I'd say his improvement this year was due to another year of experience and off-season training, not the absence of crowds.

He didn't play THIS well.

Bills crowd at home knows how to manage noise for the offense. 

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm wondering if the empty stadiums helped Josh this year.  Maybe helped him change plays, see a little better against a solid backdrop.  Maybe without the crowd he didn't get too hopped up?  Before you ask:  Yes. I am working from home and....no, I don't have anything better to think about.  And, yes, I do need to get a life. 

He has played in stadiums that had fans and did finem

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's the home stadium fans and the pressure he feels to perform in front of them that is the problem. Away stadiums would not have the same effect.

I'm sorry, but I don't have it off hand. It was last year after a game or in a midweek presser. It was a discussion point.

It's ok. I'll wait for you to find it. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I'm wondering if the empty stadiums helped Josh this year.  Maybe helped him change plays, see a little better against a solid backdrop.  Maybe without the crowd he didn't get too hopped up?  Before you ask:  Yes. I am working from home and....no, I don't have anything better to think about.  And, yes, I do need to get a life. 

I have actually thought this and it was a good year for him to focus and grow.

Allen is a strange throwback in that he really does care about the fans... a lot. I don't think he fakes that.

What comes in that same package is probably a dread of letting us and his team down. It would not shock me if that led to games where we saw the panic and hero-ball emerge.

He was trying to do too much to carry the team to a victory. He has matured a lot and shown well in prime time games.

That and retro music seem to help our QB keep a handle on the "yips".

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I think it helped....a lot....perfect seque

5 minutes ago, TBBills said:

So you don't know what you are saying just trolling.

Anyway, Josh Allen would be the same no matter how many people are at the game.

I agree with you. Good post.

• Like (+1) 1

No.  In his third year he is seeing the field and finding himself.  I know enviornments matter, but I dont see how Allen doesnt kill it with OBJ and Landry.  He goes 1 he is where he is now.  Fans no fans.  I really feel like Allen is the last one who gets credit for making himself a guy.  Kobes trainer or shooting coach didnt make Kobe great.  It was Kobe.

4 hours ago, Irv said:

4 hours late and 4 pages in. I haven't read through the responses but I've wondered the same thing.  In particular with regard to getting too hopped up.  

I'm not worried about this relatively small number of fans.  I'm a bit more worried about the team being too amped up, due to it being a do or die playoff game.  But I think that happens - especially to younger teams that haven't been through it much.  To me, it seems like usually they get that over-hyped adrenaline worked out after the first couple series.  But there were times in the Houston game last year where Josh looked like he was getting rattled.   I think he's matured significantly since then.  Look at all the prime time games he's shined in of late, even with people talking about how poorly Buffalo's done on Monday night, he just has a calm about him and gets it done.  He'll be fine!

2 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I can see how it's easier to make stuff up. No worries.  

To be fair (cue the Letterkenny gifs), I seem to recall something last year along the lines Giuseppe mentioned. Josh getting too hyped in front of the home fans was a thing/talking point/soundbite/something for a bit. At least in my imperfect memory. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Richard Noggin said:

To be fair (cue the Letterkenny gifs), I seem to recall something last year along the lines Giuseppe mentioned. Josh getting too hyped in front of the home fans was a thing/talking point/soundbite/something for a bit. At least in my imperfect memory. 

and Allen said that? 

7 hours ago, Irv said:

If you ask me I think it's a focus and confidence thing. He's always been confident but the addition of Diggs ability and confidence has propelled Allen to believe more and more. The offense going for 4th downs and more points being scored has grown this. 

I think its focus aswell because whatever he is doing now his brain is in the right place, consistently making better decisions and executing. Could well be down to the more calming music he mentioned.. I say this aswell because tannehill has been really good the last two seasons and he has mentioned using meditation.

If the crowd gets him to the 'amped up' point then it may be a problem, but like other people have said in big games last season with the crowds he turned up and played well. 

Pittsburg start this season was the only time he seemed a bit off, always seems to turn it round in games aswell so any blips seem only momentary. 

Edited by london_bills
  • Like (+1) 1

I’m very late to this topic, but I HATE that there will be fans there tomorrow. Why bring the distraction after Josh played near perfectly all season? And while I’m “thrilled” for those 6,500 folks there, it won’t bring any “home field advantage” and will just add to the risk of our players getting covid from Rick from North Tonawanda. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

I’m very late to this topic, but I HATE that there will be fans there tomorrow. Why bring the distraction after Josh played near perfectly all season? And while I’m “thrilled” for those 6,500 folks there, it won’t bring any “home field advantage” and will just add to the risk of our players getting covid from Rick from North Tonawanda. 

Wow.....

He also played his worst game of the year against KC in an empty stadium - another so-so game vs NE too.  

He seemed to play his best game in stadiums with more than 6,700 like Miami and SF (Arizona) abs Denver.  I think he’ll be ok