Anyone else get annoyed when people say Josh Allen’s first 2 seasons were terrible?

I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it annoys the crap outta me. His rookie season he was a raw QB that was learning on the job and definitely didn’t play terrible, but didn’t play great either. Year #2 Josh looked like an above average QB that needed to take a step forward but was trending in the right direction. Year #3 he jumps into elite status and all you hear is how did this happen since he was sooooo terrible the past 2 years?!?!

It’s like.....did you even watch a Bills game the past 2 seasons or did you only watch the playoff game?

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 8

Allen was insanely raw coming out of college and displayed the “wow” factor every game as a rookie.   I get the criticism though. 

Last year he was solid.  Average QB with the ability to make elite throws & athletic plays.  Still erratic and too easily hype as his downside.  Voted Top 100 by his peers.  

I think a lot of us were hopeful he’d make a massive jump into Year 3.  We had plenty of reason to be hopeful after his Year 2, raw talent, trajectory and the Diggs trade.  

It’s really lazy to say no one saw this coming.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Allen was insanely raw coming out of college and displayed the “wow” factor every game as a rookie.   I get the criticism though. 

Last year he was solid.  Average QB with the ability to make elite throws & athletic plays.  Still erratic and too easily hype as his downside.  Voted Top 100 by his peers.  

I think a lot of us were hopeful he’d make a massive jump into Year 3.  We had plenty of reason to be hopeful after his Year 2 + the Diggs trade.  

Wasn't it something along the lines of having 10,000 less throws than the others in his draft class because of his late development/growth? 

• Like (+1) 2

Disclaimer: Going off of memory. 

In Jim Kelly's third year, the Bills played the Browns in the playoffs (See Ronnie Harmon end zone drop). Allen and the Bills made the playoffs in Allen's 2nd year. The next year the Bills went to the AFC Championship against the Bengals, lost. (Kelly's 4th year I believe). Allen is ahead of Kelly in terms of overall team progression. So to say that Allen sucked, just know that he's ahead of an all time, Hall of Fame great. 

• Like (+1) 2

He made a dramatic improvement in his short passing game between year 1 and 2, and his arm strength is acknowledged elite so it was just a matter of time. One thing that struck me when he entered the league as a rookie was his ability to sense and escape pressure. It was also a matter of time before he realized it would be easier to pass than run when he escaped the pocket.    

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Wasn't it something along the lines of having 10,000 less throws than the others in his draft class because of his late development/growth? 

Yes this is his Fifth season of D1+ football

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

It’s really lazy to say no one saw this coming.  

I think a lot of us saw a long run of professional competency coming. 

But nobody saw this coming. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

When guys like Nick Wright or Colin Cowherd say it, yes it irks me because in 2018 Allen had a dumpster fire at the skill positions and the offensive line.

In 2019 he took a big step forward in reducing the interceptions, staying calm in the pocket. I also think in the lead up to the 2019-season, the Coaching staff figured out that they needed to reduce Allen’s average yards per attempt, we saw this in the Jets and Giants game right away. The Dallas Thanksgiving game they found the right type of routes for Allen’s skill set. He is a direct strike QB in the 10-20 yard range.

The Bills relied too much on Frank Gore last year, and it capped top end of the offense. Allen still used his legs to cover for average weapons and an unfinished play style.

So they don’t put any context behind it. The entire teams talent level has continued to improve, along with Allen’s talent/work paying off.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 2

On some generic boards I read most people believe he was a bust. I tried to argue a bit but ultimately just gave up. I could make the same mistake with some other team I'm sure ... It isn't like I'm actually above that.

19 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I know I shouldn’t let it bother me, but it annoys the crap outta me. His rookie season he was a raw QB that was learning on the job and definitely didn’t play terrible, but didn’t play great either. Year #2 Josh looked like an above average QB that needed to take a step forward but was trending in the right direction. Year #3 he jumps into elite status and all you hear is how did this happen since he was sooooo terrible the past 2 years?!?!

It’s like.....did you even watch a Bills game the past 2 seasons or did you only watch the playoff game?

It is almost always done in praise of where he is today. I don’t mind that at all, because Josh deserves all the credit in the world for the work he has put in and how far he has come. 

It doesn’t bother me at all. He was that guy then, and he is THIS guy NOW! I love it! 

2 minutes ago, Draconator said:

Disclaimer: Going off of memory. 

In Jim Kelly's third year, the Bills played the Browns in the playoffs (See Ronnie Harmon end zone drop). Allen and the Bills made the playoffs in Allen's 2nd year. The next year the Bills went to the AFC Championship against the Bengals, lost. (Kelly's 4th year I believe). Allen is ahead of Kelly in terms of overall team progression. So to say that Allen sucked, just know that he's ahead of an all time, Hall of Fame great. 

To build off the above, I recently looked up Kelly's career.  He was 26 his first year as a Bill (went to USFL first).  In 1988, Kelly is 28, Bills make the playoffs and lose to Cincy in AFC Championship game.  

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I think a lot of us saw a long run of professional competency coming. 

But nobody saw this coming. 

I think he's a year ahead of schedule with the season he's had this year but this was always his ceiling from the day he was drafted and is the reason he was such a high pick to begin with.  As for people saying he looked terrible in his rookie year that really is just laziness.  He looked extremely raw in his rookie year but he always showed flashes.  You could see the progression in year 2 where you knew he wasn't going to be a bust. 

• Like (+1) 4