Anyone else get annoyed when people say Josh Allen’s first 2 seasons were terrible?

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Again that is context about why he was bad in 2018. It doesn't change the fact he was bad. If people want to say his 2018 was without any hope or there weren't reasons to have optimism then fair enough, challenge them. But how did he play as an NFL Quarterback? Yea... it was pretty terrible. When you consider the context it wasn't a reason for people to write him off, but that is a different point. 

He had a few terrible games but in general he wasn't terrible in 2018, IMO.

Inconsistent and inaccurate but he made up for it with athleticism and big plays.

Some rookies and second year QB's have been great though........but that too is context which shouldn't be held against him.........that was a real low point for the roster after a really bad pro personnel year and a half from Beane and staff.

If the OP is annoyed by that........how about my take that we probably owe a lot of his improvement to Tom Brady?

Allen idolized Brady and he seems to have taken the same "never good enough" approach to his own development and success............and of course he's been indoctrinated into the same complex system that Brady ran.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Josh Allen didn't get us into the playoffs last year with two weeks to spare.

I think if you go back and check out the box scores, you will find there were 11 players on the field pretty much at all times. That was the Buffalo Bills who did that, and frankly the defense was a lot more responsible for their success last year than the offense. The defense was edging on elite last year while the offense was pretty average.

For the eight billion and first time, wins are not a QB stat. They are a team stat.

False.

Allen indeed got the Bills to the playoffs last year. He was the leader of the football team. He led the team to the playoffs.

Wins/Losses are BOTH a team stat AND a QB stat (as well as HC stat)

Haven't gone throught this whole thread but I agree with OP.  Especially his first year - he was just running for his life trying to make plays - forcing low percentage throws to receivers who couldn't get open or catch challeging balls just to try to make something happen.  It wasn't like he just sat in a clean pocket with a bunch of weapons and casually threw 50% of his passes into the ground.

It's well documented and I really respect all the hard work he has put in to improve his mechanics etc., and he has gotten better in multiple aspects, but it's not like he was a totally different person the last two years.  The team around him is much different though.  The narrative that he was so incredibly terrible his first two years convieniently fits the hater's narrative - "Oh - before when I said he totally sucked and would never be good he really did - now he is a completely different person so I wasn't wrong"  

• Like (+1) 1