Josh Allen Passer Rating Through The Year

PrimeTime101

So I caught this on first take... This isn't about slamming another Josh Allen hater, instead this is about telling the story week by week of how we are with Josh right now. The graph looks like Josh's throwing is inconsistent but lets take time to tell the story week to week.

First here's the graph.

fps8Y6.png

Week 1. NYJ. Need I say more... Just about every team has owned them till the end of the year

Week 2. Miami. Miami has an amazing defense yet Josh tore them a new one. It seems like the better the defense.. the better Josh has played this year.

Week 3. The Rams. Our defense early this season struggled.. Injuries... blah blah they just struggled.. The Rams matched us point for point for a long time this game.

Week 4. Raiders. Again Allen just aired it out every chance he had and even at this point his rating was better then week 1.

Week 5. Tenn. This is where the Bills get screwed.. I have no clue why they kept delaying this game the way they did, yet later in the year Cleveland looses there WR's to covid and that game continues.. Tenn. had ample time to watch videos on us while we had to prep for 2 teams.  

Week 6. This was a game we didn't have enough time to prepare and KC had ample time. Lets keep in mind KC ran all over us because we refused to let KC throw all over us. We were beat up... Tired... Injured...  second game in a row Josh is struggling with a shoulder injury.. off shoulder or not it does effect your accuracy and it showed.

Week 7. Jets. Jets actually played us well but again.. Third week in a row Josh is Injured.. We had significant players hurt on both sides of the line.. Not excuses.. FACT.

Week 8. Patriots. Allen's worst game in yards throwing this year it was a run fest based on weather.. Against this strong defense.. it was about the run not the pass..

Week 9. Seattle. Josh is healthy and emotional yet he plays an amazing game.. Just about everyone had them loosing the game and Josh made it look easy..

Week 10. Arizona. Ok if there's any game you want to Judge Josh its this game. 2 INT game and it hurt. This game I am critical on Allen and his game..  The other games lost had reasonable excuses why he played the way he did but not this game. We were still a Hail Marry from winning but that being said it should not of gotten down to that.

Week 11. Bye

Week 12. LA. Josh Fumbled.. our HB fumbled(forgot witch one) This and the Arizona game Josh struggled.. Why? So far we have 2 games with 0 excuses on Josh not playing well.

Week 13. SF. From this point forward it was like the first 4 week Josh. Just stable.. strong.. accurate football.

Week 14. Pits. Pits is over rated and we showed it.

Week 15. Denver. Denver has a solid defense and we blew it up.

Week 16. NE. This was personal for Josh you can see it.

Many of these games are without our deep threat... a guy they call Smoke...

Paying attention to one stat through out the year without adding content to the situation is silly. I think its fair we should of beaten Arizona.. I think its fair we should of beaten Tenn,, if not for the cluster flock... 

thoughts..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is the same graph our favorite Bills critique Nick Wright whined on and on about how terrible/erratic Josh Allen was.

This Graph is incredibly misleading since Josh Allen has had some incredible game so many of his games which were average for an NFL QB look abysmal on that graph.  Some of these games Allen didnt have to have a huge rating but he stil won.  

Why not do the same graph for every QB and see how "consistent" the QBS.  Better yet, plot other QBs single game ratings versus Allens.  

• Like (+1) 4

Saw this too.  The more I listen to Nick, the more I actually like him.  Yeah, I said that.  He has the challenge each week of debunking the Josh Allen media tsunami.  He has to or chooses to play the role of the Josh Allen schill on that program each week.  If everyone was pumping the Bills, no one would watch.  Marshall is the Bills cheerleader.  Would be interesting to know what they actually think, versus what they are paid to say for entertainment purposes.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Yawn, don’t care... 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I saw that graph on first take. There was a tough stretch, for Allen and the team, during the middle of the season that occurred for a variety of reasons. This graph (passer rating with absolutely no context) was nothing more than Nick Wright's attempt to bring some sense of legitimacy to his ridiculous takes on Allen. 

Personally, I couldn't care less. I can see how Allen and the team are playing now. That is all that matters to me.

• Like (+1) 1

Nick talked about how Josh will need to string together multiple >100 ratings in order to be considered a threat in the playoffs. And yet, his favorite QB, Mahomes, has had 4 sub 100 passer ratings in the last 4 games.  Nick Wright is a joke. 

8 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

But then know one asks why Mahomes last 4 games were below a 100 rating?

Damn. You beat me to it!  

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks OP

On a side note from a completion percentage standpoint Josh Allen shows why degree of difficulty should be calculated into the overall grade on completions IMO. Dink and dunk gives a false representation of a QB's true accuracy and can be vvery misleading from a draft perspective IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

Is there a Mahomes chart?  Would like to see..

Mahomes:

1. 123.3

2. 90.9

3. 133.5

4. 113.6

5: 83.5

6. 128.4

7. 107.2

8. 144.4

9. 121.7

10. 102.8

11. 124.7

12. 95.6

13. 91.9

14. 92.0

15. 79.5

So it looks like he hasn't been great for the last month.

34 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

This is the same graph our favorite Bills critique Nick Wright whined on and on about how terrible/erratic Josh Allen was.

This Graph is incredibly misleading since Josh Allen has had some incredible game so many of his games which were average for an NFL QB look abysmal on that graph.  Some of these games Allen didnt have to have a huge rating but he stil won.  

Why not do the same graph for every QB and see how "consistent" the QBS.  Better yet, plot other QBs single game ratings versus Allens.  

Indeed, Roy.  Couldn't agree more.

BTW, shouldn't the graph also indicate games with wind gusts up to 40 mph and times teams dropped 6 dbs into coverage for most of the game?

While we are at it, there should be a color designation to show the games that Allen was in a Houdini-esque shoulder harness while playing injured.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, wjag said:

Saw this too.  The more I listen to Nick, the more I actually like him.  Yeah, I said that.  He has the challenge each week of debunking the Josh Allen media tsunami.  He has to or chooses to play the role of the Josh Allen schill on that program each week.  If everyone was pumping the Bills, no one would watch.  Marshall is the Bills cheerleader.  Would be interesting to know what they actually think, versus what they are paid to say for entertainment purposes.

You have solid points but I have the other reaction, the more I hear him the more he irritates me.

And there was no  positive Josh Allen tsunami until he proved it on the field.  Nick Wright has been complaining about Allen since day one and instead of being intellectually honest, just keeps digging in and every week it is the same thing about how terrible/erratic J Allen is.  And yes you are correct, he is the Anti-Josh because if he was on board with everyone else, no one would watch.  Although that doesn't stop he non stop hero worship of P Mahomes.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is Mahomes chart.

20201229060455.thumb.png.532c08d6ed64173bec6ef60c71663191.png

Thanks, i was going to do something similar, no chart it vs Allen if not too much trouble.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So I caught this on first take... This isn't about slamming another Josh Allen hater, instead this is about telling the story week by week of how we are with Josh right now. The graph looks like Josh's throwing is inconsistent but lets take time to tell the story week to week.

First here's the graph.

fps8Y6.png

Week 1. NYJ. Need I say more... Just about every team has owned them till the end of the year

Week 2. Miami. Miami has an amazing defense yet Josh tore them a new one. It seems like the better the defense.. the better Josh has played this year.

Week 3. The Rams. Our defense early this season struggled.. Injuries... blah blah they just struggled.. The Rams matched us point for point for a long time this game.

Week 4. Raiders. Again Allen just aired it out every chance he had and even at this point his rating was better then week 1.

Week 5. Tenn. This is where the Bills get screwed.. I have no clue why they kept delaying this game the way they did, yet later in the year Cleveland looses there WR's to covid and that game continues.. Tenn. had ample time to watch videos on us while we had to prep for 2 teams.  

Week 6. This was a game we didn't have enough time to prepare and KC had ample time. Lets keep in mind KC ran all over us because we refused to let KC throw all over us. We were beat up... Tired... Injured...  second game in a row Josh is struggling with a shoulder injury.. off shoulder or not it does effect your accuracy and it showed.

Week 7. Jets. Jets actually played us well but again.. Third week in a row Josh is Injured.. We had significant players hurt on both sides of the line.. Not excuses.. FACT.

Week 8. Patriots. Allen's worst game in yards throwing this year it was a run fest based on weather.. Against this strong defense.. it was about the run not the pass..

Week 9. Seattle. Josh is healthy and emotional yet he plays an amazing game.. Just about everyone had them loosing the game and Josh made it look easy..

Week 10. Arizona. Ok if there's any game you want to Judge Josh its this game. 2 INT game and it hurt. This game I am critical on Allen and his game..  The other games lost had reasonable excuses why he played the way he did but not this game. We were still a Hail Marry from winning but that being said it should not of gotten down to that.

Week 11. Bye

Week 12. LA. Josh Fumbled.. our HB fumbled(forgot witch one) This and the Arizona game Josh struggled.. Why? So far we have 2 games with 0 excuses on Josh not playing well.

Week 13. SF. From this point forward it was like the first 4 week Josh. Just stable.. strong.. accurate football.

Week 14. Pits. Pits is over rated and we showed it.

Week 15. Denver. Denver has a solid defense and we blew it up.

Week 16. NE. This was personal for Josh you can see it.

Many of these games are without our deep threat... a guy they call Smoke...

Paying attention to one stat through out the year without adding content to the situation is silly. I think its fair we should of beaten Arizona.. I think its fair we should of beaten Tenn,, if not for the cluster flock... 

thoughts..

Yeah the Arizona game is an important one. I may view it a bit differently. Despite not a great game he did throw a game winning TD and came off the field with a Win., he did what he needed to do.  Many reasons for that loss. Kind of reminds of Cleveland last year. We lost by 3 but missed FG kicks, Offense had opportunities to score and didn't. the D had a chance to hold at end and couldn't. 

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

You have solid points but I have the other reaction, the more I hear him the more he irritates me.

And there was no  positive Josh Allen tsunami until he proved it on the field.  Nick Wright has been complaining about Allen since day one and instead of being intellectually honest, just keeps digging in and every week it is the same thing about how terrible/erratic J Allen is.  And yes you are correct, he is the Anti-Josh because if he was on board with everyone else, no one would watch.  Although that doesn't stop he non stop hero worship of P Mahomes.

Thanks, i was going to do something similar, no chart it vs Allen if not too much trouble.

Gimme a few minutes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Here is Mahomes chart.

20201229060455.thumb.png.532c08d6ed64173bec6ef60c71663191.png

So I guess Mahomes’ floor is higher than Josh’s.  No games in the 60’s-70’s... but like the person above said, there is a story behind it.  

F it... win in the playoffs Josh. Keep doing your thing!

Nick Wright is looks for ANY reason to crap on Josh Allen. It’s comical. It’s actually pathetic. The guy’s a total loser and I wouldn’t mind re-breaking his nose.

I posted in another thread, I have a feeling Nick got a heavy dose of Bills Mafia when he went to Syracuse, and carries that hate with him. No one can possibly have that much hate for a non-division rival. 

The NFL passer rating is a poor measure for QBs with actual running ability that their teams rely upon.  Scoring a TD or two via run does nothing to elevate the rating but sure means something to their teams chances to win.  Scrambling to avoid a sack and then throwing the ball away hurts the passer rating.  I hate the mystery meat of tQBR but that at least tries to incorporate everything a QB does in every game situation.  I suspect those tQBR numbers would look more stable than NFL passer rating.

4 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

@RoyBatty is alive

Mahomes and Allen Rating Chart

20201229061542.png

That's a definite trend for both teams.  In years past, you would discount the Bills because of the schedule vs KC playing the first place schedule.  But the Bills have played a genuinely hard schedule under the prime time glare.  Chiefs are either just doing enough to get to the playoffs or teams are starting to figure them out a bit.  Maybe a little of both.

13 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I STILL don't know who Nick Wright is, and I still don't care!  Go Josh and go Bills!

Then you dont watch stuff on TV or Internet.. Nick Wright has been on espn, the herd and NFL network. he's all over on social media... We dont care that you dont care...

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

He said Allen had 8 games of over 100 QBR and that he is sporadic. Mahomes has had 9.

Right . Great Point.

1 hour ago, Figster said:

Thanks OP

On a side note from a completion percentage standpoint Josh Allen shows why degree of difficulty should be calculated into the overall grade on completions IMO. Dink and dunk gives a false representation of a QB's true accuracy and can be very misleading from a draft perspective IMO.

Your welcome. Many don't look at the whole story. This tells a story. There were 2 games where I really question Josh and his play on that specific game. The rest have valid reasons behind it.. not excuses.

1 hour ago, dma0034 said:

Mahomes:

1. 123.3

2. 90.9

3. 133.5

4. 113.6

5: 83.5

6. 128.4

7. 107.2

8. 144.4

9. 121.7

10. 102.8

11. 124.7

12. 95.6

13. 91.9

14. 92.0

15. 79.5

So it looks like he hasn't been great for the last month.

I guess not damn.. Thanks for this.

59 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

@RoyBatty is alive

Mahomes and Allen Rating Chart

20201229061542.png

Uhm.. WOW.. Thanks for doing the work on this.. one QB trending down.. Another trending up.. IF YOU CAN? Can you add Rodgers on this? it would be interesting!

54 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Also figured this would look appropriate here.  Passer rating isn't everything.

This is just insane.  Bar none this tells me if the pocket is clean, Josh is the best passer? err but its one stat.. Josh also has one of or the most time in a pocket? or am i wrong?

1 hour ago, wjag said:

I’d watch every show in which everyone was pumping up the Bills.  

I DON’T click on anything related to that guy you speak of because that’s exactly what he wants us to do.  I’m not going to play his puppet.  Feel free to be that puppet 

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Check out the "trend" on Mahomes.....hint his last 4 games are well below Nick's threshold of a good qb.

18 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Right . Great Point.

Your welcome. Many don't look at the whole story. This tells a story. There were 2 games where I really question Josh and his play on that specific game. The rest have valid reasons behind it.. not excuses.

I guess not damn.. Thanks for this.

Uhm.. WOW.. Thanks for doing the work on this.. one QB trending down.. Another trending up.. IF YOU CAN? Can you add Rodgers on this? it would be interesting!

This is just insane.  Bar none this tells me if the pocket is clean, Josh is the best passer? err but its one stat.. Josh also has one of or the most time in a pocket? or am i wrong?

Added Rodgers

20201229073932.thumb.png.d7f7b86b4a76e0d30c73a8c5f50b3d2d.png

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Then you dont watch stuff on TV or Internet.. Nick Wright has been on espn, the herd and NFL network. he's all over on social media... We dont care that you dont care...

"We" .... talking in plural? Try "I" because you can only speak for yourself. My guess is most people do not even know who the clown is until these threads have popped up.

2 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

based on this

Rodgers 1

Josh 2

Mahomes 3

If you want the averages it's:

Rodgers: 119.3

Mahomes: 108.2

Allen: 106.7

And now the best reason to not use passer rating to judge a player/team.  Deshaun Watsons rating is 112.1 and is 4-11 this year.  The question was whether or not the bills can make a super bowl run and saying no because of one players stats is cherry picking a reason to discredit the player.

I'm surprised the graph looks the way it does, to be honest.

My subjective take would be that Allen's game has had ups and downs, but that the "ups" have steadily gotten higher throughout the year, with a steady, gradual progression measured against setbacks now and again.

He's playing his best football right now, and he seems to be improving all the time.

• Like (+1) 1