Big Ben to the Bench! #2 Seed is ours!

DrDawkinstein

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

My trust in Jackson has eroded this season.  Not saying the Bengals will win,  but it may be a close game if the Bengals can limit his running

I don't think it will be close. 

14 minutes ago, JPP said:

Same was said about Pittsburgh and look what happened......never ever know.....

At this moment in time the Ravens are better than the Steelers.

27 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

LOL imagine how embarrassed you'd feel as a fan if your team lost a win-and-you're-in game to the Steelers backups...

2003 ring a bell? 

2003 the Drew Bledsoe led Buffalo Bills 

Buffalo hosted Pittsburgh in Week 17, needing a win and some help to get to the playoffs. The win seemed to be a foregone conclusion, the Bills would be playing for their playoff lives while the Steelers had nothing to gain, and would play their backups.

The Bills lost to Steelers backups. 

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

2003 ring a bell? 

Buffalo hosted Pittsburgh in Week 17, needing a win and some help to get to the playoffs. The win seemed to be a foregone conclusion, the Bills would be playing for their playoff lives while the Steelers had nothing to gain, and would play their backups.

I was being sarcastic. I remember that game well sadly

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

There's no WAY a Steelers team could win the last game of the season against a team trying to make it into the playoffs.  Doing something like that would be Bills-y...but maybe now Browns-y.

The Browns just lost to the Jets. The Browns are entirely capable of losing to the Steelers backups. 

1 hour ago, QCity said:

This is not good news for Miami fans.

No it's actually not bad news for them. It is now far more likely the Bills will rest starters for at least a portion of that game. If they were counting on Pittsburgh winning that was never a sure thing.

The team that gets hurt the most by this is the Colts. They're the only team in the wildcard race that doesn't control their own destiny this weekend. If Cleveland, Baltimore, Miami, and Tennessee all win, the Colts are out no matter what. And right now I would say odds are high that that will happen.

Although I wouldn't totally count out the Browns losing. Rudolph isn't good but Roethlisberger hasn't been good either. Tomlin didn't say all their starters would rest, just Roethlisberger. The Browns could very well still lose a defensive battle.

Edited by HappyDays

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

2003 ring a bell? 

It was the 2004 season.  The Browns could very easily lay an egg and lose to a solid team playing a mix of starters and hungry backups.  It's a tricky situation for McDermott because you know they want to avoid the Ravens.

10 minutes ago, Billznut said:

The Browns just lost to the Jets. The Browns are entirely capable of losing to the Steelers backups. 

Steelers backups are still better than the Jests. Then, there's the coaching discussion which is really in the Steelers favor. I'd say the Browns could easily lose. They may not, but they sure could.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

Steelers backups are still better than the Jests. Then, there's the coaching discussion which is really in the Steelers favor. I'd say the Browns could easily lose. They may not, but they sure could.

The Browns having their starting 4 WR's back will pry help.

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No it's actually not bad news for them. It is now far more likely the Bills will rest starters for at least a portion of that game. If they were counting on Pittsburgh losing that was never a sure thing.

Pittsburgh win = Miami in. Regardless of what else happens. Losing a path to the playoffs does not help a team.

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Pittsburgh win = Miami in. Regardless of what else happens. Losing a path to the playoffs does not help a team.

Yes but the Dolphins shouldn't be counting on that. They should be playing as if a loss will keep them out of the playoffs. Now that the Bills are basically assured the #2 seed they have an easier path.

57 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Except that the Browns will have their wide receivers against the Steelers backups. 

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/nfl/nfl-cleveland/browns-covid-contact-players-eligible-to-return-thursday/

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I'd love to sweep the Division this year and knock the Dolphins out as well.

Maybe play our guys the 1st half and then see what happens.

I know people don’t like the Pats examples, but more times than not, they played starters if not injured for at least a half.  It makes sense.  Keep them in rhythm.  Worrying about an injury could happen on one play.  For example, if Beasely could play, but would benefit from rest, then sit him.  The same goes for Brown, Tre, Milano, Edmunds, or anyone else you might have a concern.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know people don’t like the Pats examples, but more times than not, they played starters if not injured for at least a half.  It makes sense.  Keep them in rhythm.  Worrying about an injury could happen on one play.  For example, if Beasely could play, but would benefit from rest, then sit him.  The same goes for Brown, Tre, Milano, Edmunds, or anyone else you might have a concern.

I also think it's about keeping the same routine this week as all of the other weeks. If you are going to start backups, then it takes the starters out of their weekly routine and comfort/focus zone. Let everyone prepare exactly like they normally would, and then make changes in-game if you can.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

If the Browns play their starters for one half (less Big Ben) then I think they can win. The way Mayfield played against the Jets makes me wonder about the Browns in general.  

The dude was playing with receivers who had never played in a game before. Not just one, all of them. They had to do a walk-through in the parking garage Sunday morning because they didn't know they were losing the receivers till Saturday afternoon. Mayfield definitely didn't play well but he didn't have anything to work with either.

I was more disappointed in the run game.

16 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

2003 ring a bell? 

16 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

I was being sarcastic. I remember that game well sadly

Lol. You two must be old as old as me cuz it was 2004.  

15 hours ago, Robert James said:

Except that the Browns will have their wide receivers against the Steelers backups. 

https://www.nbc4i.com/sports/nfl/nfl-cleveland/browns-covid-contact-players-eligible-to-return-thursday/

The Jets were also short handed.  They were on their 3rd and 4th stringers in the secondary.  They were also without Quinnen Williams.  Mayfield fumbled 3 times, that’s not on the WR’s....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

The dude was playing with receivers who had never played in a game before. Not just one, all of them. They had to do a walk-through in the parking garage Sunday morning because they didn't know they were losing the receivers till Saturday afternoon. Mayfield definitely didn't play well but he didn't have anything to work with either.

I was more disappointed in the run game.

Fair.   I was referring to his 2 fumbles in crunch time.  

The Browns handed off 15 times and had Mayfield pass 50+ times.  They fell behind and they chose to get away from their strength.  

21 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

Not a very Tomlin move...

Why? They will probably play better and push the ball down field more. Steelers are very capable of winning vs the Browns with a backup QB

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Fair.   I was referring to his 2 fumbles in crunch time.  

The Browns handed off 15 times and had Mayfield pass 50+ times.  They fell behind and they chose to get away from their strength.  

Yea Baker was not good. But my god I watched that game yesterday and what on earth were the Browns thinking? It was like Stefanski had a brain fart. Awful gameplan.