Poyer Pro Bowl Snub - Stats on how he stacks up and Poll

Alphadawg7

Which Bills D player deserved Pro Bowl most?  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these 3 Bills defensive players deserved the Pro Bowl most?

• Poyer
    • White
    • Edmunds

Honestly, behind Allen and Diggs, I think Poyer was the third most deserving Bills player for the Pro Bowl this year.  Not to knock Tre and Edmunds or say they didn't also deserve it, but Poyer to me had an even bigger case for the Pro Bowl and been one of the most consistent players on defense this year.  

Again, this isnt about Tre and Edmunds, its awesome they were selected again and no issue with that.  But to me, as good as those guys are, Poyer was even better and its a travesty he wasn't also selected as well.  To be clear, not saying he should have gotten one of their spots, just saying, he earned his birth with them too.

Poyer stats:

9th in the NFL in total tackles (Leads ALL safeties in the NFL)

5th in the NFL in solo tackles (Leads ALL safeties in the NFL)

Has 2 INT, 2 Sacks, and 2 FF.

Also, was the top vote getter for his position in the AFC.  

How this man was snubbed for the Pro Bowl is beyond me.  And something tells me Poyer is going to be extra motivated to rest of season and playoffs and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 7

• Alphadawg7 changed the title to Poyer Pro Bowl Snub - Stats on how he stacks up and Poll
1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

When the Bills D was not playing well in the beginning of the year, he might have been the one notable exception...he was all over the place in those games and making plays everywhere.

Agreed, feel like he has been the most consistent player all season.  Again, Tre and Edmunds are great, especially this second half the season.  But Poyer is also great and has been the whole season.

It’s true and I think even Frazier and McDermott were thinking of him when they spoke on this. 

his issue is he’s not flashy and his pick stats aren’t up there.  But he’s awesome and I am glad they paid him.  I don’t think folks realize how much he bailed the defense out of trouble early on when they were faltering.

Maybe Bills mafia needs to donate to his charity in recognition of the snub?  

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I did not realize that. And chalked his snubbing up to there being a number of big name players at the position that will overshadow him and just get in on name recognition alone.

So the fans wanted him in, but the players didnt?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I did not realize that. And chalked his snubbing up to there being a number of big name players at the position that will overshadow him and just get in on name recognition alone.

So the fans wanted him in, but the players didnt?

Also find it weird they take 2 FS but only 1 SS...maybe if there was a 2nd SS as well, he would have been it?  

But it isn't like the players that were selected weren't deserving...those are 3 really good players too.

Edited by Big Turk

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honestly, behind Allen and Diggs, I think Poyer was the third most deserving Bills player for the Pro Bowl this year.  Not to knock Tre and Edmunds or say they didn't also deserve it, but Poyer to me had an even bigger case for the Pro Bowl and been one of the most consistent players on defense this year.  

Again, this isnt about Tre and Edmunds, its awesome they were selected again and no issue with that.  But to me, as good as those guys are, Poyer was even better and its a travesty he wasn't also selected as well.  To be clear, not saying he should have gotten one of their spots, just saying, he earned his birth with them too.

Poyer stats:

9th in the NFL in total tackles (Leads ALL safeties in the NFL)

5th in the NFL in solo tackles (Leads ALL safeties in the NFL)

Has 2 INT, 2 Sacks, and 2 FF.

How this man was snubbed for the Pro Bowl is beyond me.  And something tells me Poyer is going to be extra motivated to rest of season and playoffs and will be playing with a chip on his shoulder.  

If I had to guess, there are two main things that go against Poyer:

1) The way we use our safeties.  He's not your classic free safety, and Hyde and him often change up and play up closer to the line.  So, when folks are looking at the pro bowl, he's tough to compare to your normal rangy free safeties, like a Fitzpatrick.

2) Relatedly, it seems like at the safety position, all that seems to matter is interceptions.  All the guys who made it in the AFC have like 4-6 picks, and some have TD's. Poyer's tackle stats are probably not given enough wait.  Also, you wonder if people aren't looking closely enough at the tackles-- e.g., as we all know, he's not like Donte Whitner, who would pile onto the top of a pile 15 yards down field. These are some legit tackles up in the box. 

• Like (+1) 1

So if I remember reading correctly Poyer was leading the fan vote, so this came down to the player and coach vote. The guys who got in over him got in because of name recognition. Even amongst players and coaches that’s going to be a big thing. It’s ironic to see Simmons make it as you watch him get turned around about 6 times on Motor’s touchdown the other day. I will admit I have a huge bias against Fitzpatrick, I think he has benefitted GREATLY behind that defensive line (he wasn’t that food playing in Miami) and just haven’t watched enough of Matthieu to know anything about him this season 

I think White deserves it most. We saw what happened to our defense against the Titans when he was out. His contribution is not always evident in the stats. He is one of the least targeted corners in the league.

I know there is a (false) narrative going around that says White isn't playing well this year. I think that's poppycock.

Poyer has been playing well and deserves it. But it's hard to get noticed as a safety sometimes. He would have to be leading the league in INT's or something.

Through those first 6 or 7 weeks Poyer was consistently the best player on our D when it was struggling. 

That said I think Tre White has been utterly fantastic the last 6 games and him getting properly healthy is a big reason this D has turned around.

Those would have been my two on defense for the Bills. Tremaine has also played better as he has got healthy but I don't think he has the consistency over 14 games for me to have voted for him. 

I voted Jordan but honestly either he or White are the right answer. Both should be there. Shame for Jordan that he isn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Justin Simmons???

He totally deserves his spot. He has had another brilliant year. Of the three safeties they picked from the AFC Mathieu is the one I think is slightly there on reputation. He has had a good season but he hasn't played as well as Poyer, Minkah or Simmons in my opinion. The other guy I'd have considered, don't laugh, is Marcus Maye from the 1-13 New York Jets. I understand why he didn't get in but he has been the best player on that football team this year and proved he is more than just a second wheel to Jamal Adams and he has a similar stat line to Poyer in the sense of 2 sack, 2 INTs, 2 forced fumbles. Maye is also yet another guy out of that great DB class of 2017 by the way. 

But I'd have gone Simmons, Poyer, Minkah and then Maye in that order.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He totally deserves his spot. He has had another brilliant year. Of the three safeties they picked from the AFC Mathieu is the one I think is slightly there on reputation. He has had a good season but he hasn't played as well as Poyer, Minkah or Simmons in my opinion. The other guy I'd have considered, don't laugh, is Marcus Maye from the 1-13 New York Jets. I understand why he didn't get in but he has been the best player on that football team this year and proved he is more than just a second wheel to Jamal Adams and he has a similar stat line to Poyer in the sense of 2 sack, 2 INTs, 2 forced fumbles. Maye is also yet another guy out of that great DB class of 2017 by the way. 

But I'd have gone Simmons, Poyer, Minkah and then Maye in that order.

Simmons is having a good year, my thinking is that a player on a winning roster, given their close proximity, would get the nod. No shade on Simmons performance. 

I really think you need an "all of the above" option on the vote.  I didn't vote for that reason.

I think Poyer deserves the probowl but I can't overlook the impact of White and Edmunds.

If I had to pick two it would be White and Poyer, because Edmunds most certainly did not play at a high level all season.  But not to underestimate the impact of his resurgence on the improved D

• Like (+1) 2

Poyer gets my vote.  He’s looking more and more like the heart and soul of this defense every game.  I love the way he plays the game.  The kid brings it even more after getting his extension.  Another bargain salary for Beane.

Poyers cap hit is 9 mill this year, 7.8 next and 7.7. Meanwhile:

• 1. Cardinals safety Budda Baker: $14.75 million
  • 2. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 3. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 4. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 4. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 6. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 7. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $11.4 million
  • 7. Vikings safety Anthony Harris: $11.4 million
  • 9. Broncos safety Kareem Jackson: $11 million
  • 10. Raiders safety LaMarcus Joyner: $10.5 million

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/4962986002

Edited by NewEra

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Poyer gets my vote.  He’s looking more and more like the heart and soul of this defense every game.  I love the way he plays the game.  The kid brings it even more after getting his extension.  Another bargain salary for Beane.

Poyers cap hit is 9 mill this year, 7.8 next and 7.7. Meanwhile:

• 1. Cardinals safety Budda Baker: $14.75 million
  • 2. Bears safety Eddie Jackson: $14.6 million
  • 3. Titans safety Kevin Byard: $14.1 million
  • 4. Chiefs safety Tyrann Mathieu: $14 million
  • 4. Redskins safety Landon Collins: $14 million
  • 6. Patriots safety Devin McCourty: $11.5 million
  • 7. Broncos safety Justin Simmons: $11.4 million
  • 7. Vikings safety Anthony Harris: $11.4 million
  • 9. Broncos safety Kareem Jackson: $11 million
  • 10. Raiders safety LaMarcus Joyner: $10.5 million

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.azcentral.com/amp/4962986002

I said Poyer was a better player than Landon Collins on here two seasons ago and it caused uproar. I stand by it. Landon Collins would have been the best safety in the NFL of 1985. In the NFL of 2020? He doesn't bring close to what Jordan Poyer does. 

Kevin Byard, Anthony Harris and Tyrann Mathieu are all excellent players who have had decent years but not played to their previous standard. McCourty has been elite but is overpaid at this point and that LaMarucs Joyner contract was always a head scratcher to me. 

I voted for Poyer because his consistency has saved a few games this year. Particularly early in the year when it felt like he was the only player making stops on third down. However, I think he may not have received as much of the player vote because he doesn’t dramatically influence schemes like some of the other players. He’s overshadowed in this defense by Tre who has a penchant for icing games with interceptions. Poyer by contrast is consistently good and scheming for him may be related to cracking the code on how he and Hyde work together as a duo. Let’s not forget that Hyde was second team all-pro in 17’ and that may also influence voters.

I’m not sure if I get the Edmunds selection considering how he played. Perhaps it was name recognition coupled with national media commenting on how his shoulder was injured early in the year. 🤷‍♂️. The kid is a physical freak though and he started playing up to his talent in nationally televised games right before the voting. 

5 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

There’s little reason for the Ravens to be sending league most as well 

In fairness two of them are their long snapper and their fullback. I mean I have no idea who should go to the pro bowl at those spots nor do I really care. Of the remainder the one that sticks out to me as probably unjustified is Matt Judon... but Orlando Brown, Marlon Humphrey and Justin Tucker are all absolutely justified and there is a strong argument for Calais Campbell. 

5 hours ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’m not sure if I get the Edmunds selection considering how he played. Perhaps it was name recognition coupled with national media commenting on how his shoulder was injured early in the year. 🤷‍♂️. The kid is a physical freak though and he started playing up to his talent in nationally televised games right before the voting. 

The other factor is MLB is a spot where the AFC is definitely weaker than the NFC. Once you get past Darius Leonard you are struggling for slam dunks and with Devin Bush done for the year it opens a door for Edmunds with his improved 2nd half of the season.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In fairness two of them are their long snapper and their fullback. I mean I have no idea who should go to the pro bowl at those spots nor do I really care. Of the remainder the one that sticks out to me as probably unjustified is Matt Judon... but Orlando Brown, Marlon Humphrey and Justin Tucker were are absolutely justified and there is a strong argument for Calais Campbell. 

Calais Campbell over DeForest Buckner is a joke 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The other factor is MLB is a spot where the AFC is definitely weaker than the NFC. Once you get past Darius Leonard you are struggling for slam dunks and with Devin Bush done for the year it opens a door for Edmunds with his improved 2nd half of the season.

It is. To be honest I haven’t paid too much attention to MLBs on other afc teams if it hasn’t been during a Bills game. Really didn’t realize how weak the position is in the AFC right now. 

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I really think you need an "all of the above" option on the vote.  I didn't vote for that reason.

I think Poyer deserves the probowl but I can't overlook the impact of White and Edmunds.

If I had to pick two it would be White and Poyer, because Edmunds most certainly did not play at a high level all season.  But not to underestimate the impact of his resurgence on the improved D

I did vote for Poyer, but you’re right.  I know the author isn’t suggesting, but if it had to be a flip, it would be Poyer for Edmunds because of the above comments.  Edmunds has completely turned things around whereas Poyer has been a bright light all year.