Can we get some love for McDermott?

Hebert19

All I hear about is his in game coaching.  He's too conservative.  Blah blah.  

Dude is going for it on 4th like we are Andy Reid and Mahomes.   I'm impressed as hell with the trust he has now and his in game calls too. 

Hes coming around.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Yes sir. Like Josh, I think McDermott has taken the next step this year in terms of his game mgmt. Love the aggressiveness on 4th down, love the timeout usage to get a sneak preview of the preferred play of the defense or special teams in yesterday's case on the onside kick. Also a huge fan of the way he has given Daboll the autonomy to turn us into a modern day pass-happy offense with the sneaky run-heavy game plan mixed in.

We're watching a guy who has always been elite at the leadership part of the head coaching gig continue to learn/adapt/improve on game days and I couldn't be happier. 

• Like (+1) 3

The thing that stood out to me yesterday, on two fronts, was the drive before halftime. In years past McDermott runs the ball a couple of times and we head to the locker room. Yesterday, we went after the points with 1:12 left and 3 timeouts. I'm sure much of this hinges on how much they trust Josh now, but McDermott is easing away from his conservative tendencies in certain facets of the game. He's progressing just like Josh is progressing and the best coach we've had since Levy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

After the bills lost in Houston last year, I said that was probably a good thing big picture.

Reason being is I felt MCD was too conservative in that game, and you can’t play that way in the nfl,

. So I was hoping he would change his philosophy this year.

And surely enough he has. Good coaches adjust, and that’s exactly what MCD did this year IMO.

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

I thought Brian McDermott had a great game

Fred Warner had a quote after the game and to paraphrase, he said something along the lines of “they had the perfect play call every single time”. 

In other words, daboll owned salah 

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This is an incredibly resilient team.

Three weeks ago, after the Hail Murray, the question was whether or not this team could bounce back from such a heartbreaking loss. And it would have been easy for the wheels to start to come off after that game.

Instead, they put together a quality win against a good Chargers team. Then comes San Fransisco, and all week the conversation is, "the Bills stink against the run," and, "Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk are back," and, "the Bills can't win in prime time."

They go down 7-0 after the Moss fumble and again, it would have been easy for the wheels to come off.

I think that resiliency comes from McDermott, and it shows up in moments like these. Anyone who has ever been in charge of getting the best performance out of a group of adults knows how hard leadership is. McDermott has it.

• Like (+1) 2

I've been a critic for a while.  

I am impressed with how the team has responded after the AZ game.

I am also impressed with his aggressiveness on offense.  Time management has gotten a bit better.  I appreciate his willingness to move Edmunds to OLB for at least a few snaps a game.  

I think the defense still lacks aggressiveness at times.  I saw several DB pass rushes last night but most were zone blitzes and in the end they didn't bring more than 4 or 5 guys most of the night.  

I still don't understand Gilliam dressing over Kroft.  Kroft can do everything Gilliam does and more.  Also not sure why Norman isn't even getting a few plays during the game rotating with Wallace.  

44 minutes ago, MPL said:

I think that resiliency comes from McDermott, and it shows up in moments like these. Anyone who has ever been in charge of getting the best performance out of a group of adults knows how hard leadership is. McDermott has it.

He really does.

You can see it in the small stuff.  He's aware of how each of his players is wired and he tailors his message to that.

Look at that little "mic'd up" vignette where he walks up to Josh.  Does he bother with "hurts the team, can't have that, blah blah" (even though it's true?)

No.  He knows he's dealing with an Uber-competitor where the worst thing you could do to him would be take him out of the game.  So he cuts to the chase:

"Just came over here to say, you do that again, you're out.  That's all."

The message hits Josh right in the limbic system like a guided missile.  "Yessir"

And McDermott knows it, and that it's now safe to throw him an "Attaboy!" as he strolls off.

My point is it's not just having a good overall message and system and practices.  It's knowing how to tailor a message to reach individual players and help bring out their best.

He's a work in progress too, I'm sure he'd tell you that himself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10+ Clapping ideas in 2020 | clapping gif, animation, applause gif

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Fred Warner had a quote after the game and to paraphrase, he said something along the lines of “they had the perfect play call every single time”. 

The play to McKenzie was the sweetest call of them all.  That fake was epic.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Dude is going for it on 4th like we are Andy Reid and Mahomes.   I'm impressed as hell with the trust he has now and his in game calls too. 

Hes coming around.

He hasn't been conservative for a long time.  We have the fewest punts in the entire NFL.

17 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I've been a critic for a while.  

I am impressed with how the team has responded after the AZ game.

I am also impressed with his aggressiveness on offense.  Time management has gotten a bit better.  I appreciate his willingness to move Edmunds to OLB for at least a few snaps a game.  

I think the defense still lacks aggressiveness at times.  I saw several DB pass rushes last night but most were zone blitzes and in the end they didn't bring more than 4 or 5 guys most of the night.  

I still don't understand Gilliam dressing over Kroft.  Kroft can do everything Gilliam does and more.  Also not sure why Norman isn't even getting a few plays during the game rotating with Wallace.  

Gilliam is a special teams players and they prioritize some special teams players at times.  It is not Gilliam over Kroft - it was Smith over Kroft for the running game.  Gilliam is in the starting line up regardless of Kroft/Knox.

I think you will see more Kroft/Knox with Smith on the bench as we continue to adjust depending on the defense they are playing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

Gilliam is a special teams players and they prioritize some special teams players at times.  It is not Gilliam over Kroft - it was Smith over Kroft for the running game.  Gilliam is in the starting line up regardless of Kroft/Knox.

I think you will see more Kroft/Knox with Smith on the bench as we continue to adjust depending on the defense they are playing.

This

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

And yet there was the commentators talking about how Saleh was HC material. This while his defense was getting gashed.

Edited by chris heff
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Hes coming around.

Totally agree