Week 10: Bills at Cardinals

YoloinOhio

So maybe I'm a little slow but this just dawned on me. And now I'm thinking that more important than this being a signature win because of the fact it was against Seattle but I'm taking it as a signature win for the bills because it's the first game of the year that the entire team showed up for four quarters.

If that's something that they can carry on for the rest of the year then we should do really well

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I assumed he went back to California, but maybe he didn’t?    The logistics of that with Covid make it difficult.  Does anyone know if he is at practice?  

are you talking about Allen? 

I am not certain, Jordan Phillips in Arizona got permission and worked it out with the team and the league to go somewhere for a funeral a couple weeks back, but I don't know the particulars. 

As far as Allen and practice, we dont know because they wont practice until tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hokay, so since many sources aren't breaking it down per-game, let's have a look

On Defense:

Cardinals #8 in PPG given up with 23 ppg.  19th in YPG given up with 370, 19th in pass ypg given up, 22 in rush ypg given up

Bills #19 in PPG given up with 26 ppg.  18th in YPG given up with 365, 15th in pass ypg, 21 in rush ypg

Geesh if that were the Bills, going by that Kroft INT they would have awarded the INT to Miami and given each player a free case of beer

so basically aside from garbage time turnovers vs tenn, our D is like a hair a head.

nfl D's are pretty awful this season.  this is likely the most reasonable test of our O all season, not a garbage D, no weather, and a somewhat healthy team (assuming at least one of our starting guards is back).

anyone know if morse can come back, or has he had one bump too many?

Of course the family can do whatever is in their best interest and Godbless them.

However, wouldn't you just do it during the bye week, when your son/grandson could really be there?

I have seen funerals where they have waited a couple of weeks for family to be able to come in to town.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

So maybe I'm a little slow but this just dawned on me. And now I'm thinking that more important than this being a signature win because of the fact it was against Seattle but I'm taking it as a signature win for the bills because it's the first game of the year that the entire team showed up for four quarters.

If that's something that they can carry on for the rest of the year then we should do really well

I agree thats the most exciting part.  This game didnt move the needle much with regards to winning the division but it really showed what we can do when we find our identity.  Cautiously optimistic that we have found an identity on defense...

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I assumed he went back to California, but maybe he didn’t?    The logistics of that with Covid make it difficult.  Does anyone know if he is at practice?  

I wouldn't assume Josh is anywhere but in Buffalo, preparing for the next game.

Tuesday is normally a day off, and McDermott gave them "Victory Monday" off as well.

It's not unusual for players to come in both days to get treatment from the training staff, cold tub, massage, other treatments, sometimes do a light workout if they consider that right for them.  Also under McD apparently a good number of players come in to watch film.

But there won't be a practice until tomorrow.

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I agree thats the most exciting part.  This game didnt move the needle much with regards to winning the division but it really showed what we can do when we find our identity.  Cautiously optimistic that we have found an identity on defense...

I think that was losing Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander combined with no off-season had a crippling effect on communication. You can see this year that we didn't have the different levels of being able to hide coverage and a lot of the things that we did before to confuse quarterbacks. Looking back I would say that we actually kind of dumbed down the defense until the players were able to catch up.    This week we looked much like we did last year on defense with our coverages.   So ya fingers crossed we can maintain it.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I think that was losing Kyle Williams and Lorenzo Alexander combined with no off-season had a crippling effect on communication. You can see this year that we didn't have the different levels of being able to hide coverage and a lot of the things that we did before to confuse quarterbacks. Looking back I would say that we actually kind of dumbed down the defense until the players were able to catch up.    This week we looked much like we did last year on defense with our coverages.   So ya fingers crossed we can maintain it.

and most importantly, figuring out how to play defense up the middle with Star opting out (and Milano being hurt and not playing, and Edmunds being hurt and playing through it, and constantly being short handed at CB, but yea)

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

I have also thought the lack of holding had an larger effect on us than the rest of the league since we never seemed to win with outright 1 on 1 wins so much as collapsing the pocket.  Giving a QB anextra 0.5-1 seconds (i have no data on how much longer QBs have now) would really challenge any defense.  Bringing an extra guy or doing a creeper pressure would seem necessary to take away that extra time.  

6 minutes ago, Comebackkid said:

Ah....Kyle Williams retired after 2017 and the D did OK last year

37 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This should be a fun game!  

2 of the best young QBs in the game that will only see each other every 4 years or so.

One of the two young QBs throws significantly better than the other when rolling out or scrambling.  :) 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

I have also thought the lack of holding had an larger effect on us than the rest of the league since we never seemed to win with outright 1 on 1 wins so much as collapsing the pocket.  Giving a QB anextra 0.5-1 seconds (i have no data on how much longer QBs have now) would really challenge any defense.  Bringing an extra guy or doing a creeper pressure would seem necessary to take away that extra time.  

I'm sure It had some effect but we've had lots of games the defense just wasn't playing in sync with each other. Basic fundamentals were lacking. Seems like in one of Leslie's interviews that he said players weren't playing as a unit but more as individuals on the field

41 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

and most importantly, figuring out how to play defense up the middle with Star opting out (and Milano being hurt and not playing, and Edmunds being hurt and playing through it, and constantly being short handed at CB, but yea)

And all that as well. It's been a hard season so far 4 the defense

1 hour ago, PaattMaann said:

are you talking about Allen? 

I am not certain, Jordan Phillips in Arizona got permission and worked it out with the team and the league to go somewhere for a funeral a couple weeks back, but I don't know the particulars. 

As far as Allen and practice, we dont know because they wont practice until tomorrow. 

Yes, Allen.  

That I must be very hard for Josh if he can’t see his family until the bye week.  

On 11/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, InEnemyTerritory said:

I'd take that right now because it's about to change

Right now, line for me (in Ontario) is +2.0. I bet moneyline. Real head scratcher, anything can happen, of course, but the Bills are a lot better than the Cards.

Josh seems to play a lot better in warm weather, too.

Edited by Boxcar

On 11/8/2020 at 8:51 PM, par73 said:

Tough game out West against a dynamic QB. I really thought they would help out the Bills today by beating Miami, so that is frustrating.

Kyler Murray might be dynamic, but he isn't moreso than Jackson or Allen, and he isn't in Allen's league throwing the ball. He's also short. I thought I'd just throw that in there.

I don't really see this game differently than, say, the Raiders game. I think the defense and the O-Line have been making huge strides since the Jets. It honestly blows my mind that the Bills aren't favored by 7, never mind being dogs. We should feel disrespected.

5 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

I feel like the allens would most likely wait tell Monday for the funeral. Josh play Sunday and be in AZ quick flight to cali from there. Also I think they usually have Monday off. Or like others have said wait tell the bye week 

People please.  In the world of professional sports this sort of thing happens every week. The players know it. The coaching staff knows it. Their families all know it.  It is the life and career that they signed up for.

35 minutes ago, Wyobills89 said:

I feel like the allens would most likely wait tell Monday for the funeral. Josh play Sunday and be in AZ quick flight to cali from there. Also I think they usually have Monday off. Or like others have said wait tell the bye week 

That would be the bye week, right after we play the Cards. 

Last year, McDermott gave the team a few days off during the bye during which they could travel home.

This year the players are supposed to stay in their club's city and continue to get tested daily. 

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1312037702951370752/photo/1

53 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

People please.  In the world of professional sports this sort of thing happens every week. The players know it. The coaching staff knows it. Their families all know it.  It is the life and career that they signed up for.

Yes, it does

And actually for many of us working stiffs outside professional sports, to attend an out of town funeral for a beloved relative is a difficult challenge.  Travel costs, minimal or no bereavement leave, or with plenty of money perhaps a position of responsibility with deadlines or even people's lives at stake.

I remember when my grandfather passed, I was a new hire with no vacation accrued and was told I would get 1 day bereavement leave for a grandfather.  One day to travel halfway across the country, help make arrangements, attend the service, mourn, and get home.  Even scheduling next to a weekend it wasn't enough.  I arranged unpaid leave and went, but that brings up a different set of problems for a lot of people.

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

That I must be very hard for Josh if he can’t see his family until the bye week.  

I mean, Yes? but that's reality for a lot of people, especially now

6 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

That chiefs game sticking out like a sore thumb

This is the rate at which we blitz on defense, correct?

I think the change to increased blitzing reflects problems getting pressure with our front 4.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, colin said:

so basically aside from garbage time turnovers vs tenn, our D is like a hair a head.

Well....there is that points scored thing.  Bottom line is AZ has scored 2 more ppg on offense, and given up 3 fewer ppg on defense.

And both are significant differences - 6th vs 14th on offense, 8th vs 19th on defense.

There's something going on in Arizona with that big discrepency between points and yards, but I don't follow them enough to know what.  Anyone?

3 hours ago, colin said:

anyone know if morse can come back, or has he had one bump too many?

Morse was seen on the sideline last week working with trainers during practice, so he's likely in stage 2 or 3 of concussion protocol.  We'll just have to see.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well....there is that points scored thing.  Bottom line is AZ has scored 2 more ppg on offense, and given up 3 fewer ppg on defense.

And both are significant differences - 6th vs 14th on offense, 8th vs 19th on defense.

There's something going on in Arizona with that big discrepency between points and yards, but I don't follow them enough to know what.  Anyone?

Morse was seen on the sideline last week working with trainers during practice, so he's likely in stage 2 or 3 of concussion protocol.  We'll just have to see.

the tenn turnovers lead to a run up in teh score, leading to the difference in points.

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I watched a decent amount of the Arizona-Miami game on Sunday and it seemed like Byron Jones had a terrible game. Got beat several times especially by Kirk and then this play speaks for itself. I know he missed most of the game against us with an injury, anyone know how he's been playing this year? He and Howard were supposed to be the best CB pairing in the league.

In regards to our match up with Arizona this week, I wonder who we match up against Kirk and how he plays. He jumped off the screen for me on Sunday.

As much as people are anxiously watching the injury news for Tre/Morse/Ford etc, I think the Arizona CB situation bears watching as well. Murphy Jr is on the COVID list (although Kingsbury expressed some hope that he becomes available) and the guy who replaced him is in the concussion protocol now. 

Playing in a dome and spreading the defense out with 3 or 4 WRs against a team whose depth at CB could be tested...advantage Bills. Now we just need our defense to keep the positive momentum going. 

Edited by Dont Stop Billeiving
  • Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Whoa, that's different!  They must have liked what they saw from Kumerow.

58 minutes ago, Heathcliff said:

Someone was sniffing around on Kumerow. Pats****?

Kumerow is a great ace in the hole to have on special teams. Taiwan Jones misses a game, Kumerow steps in, the special teams doesn't miss a beat. Roberts had an all-around good game against the Seahawks, but his game-opening return in particular was key to the early Bills momentum and thus, to the win. Special teams stepped up.

I'm glad we have pros like Kumerow, Duke, and Jonathan Harrison on the practice squad, ready to step in at a moment's notice. 

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

Kumerow is a great ace in the hole to have on special teams. Taiwan Jones misses a game, Kumerow steps in, the special teams doesn't miss a beat. Roberts had an all-around good game against the Seahawks, but his game-opening return in particular was key to the early Bills momentum and thus, to the win. Special teams stepped up.

I'm glad we have pros like Kumerow, Duke, and Jonathan Harrison on the practice squad, ready to step in at a moment's notice. 

I'm just concerned about Dane Jackson.  I don't want to give him up!

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And actually for many of us working stiffs outside professional sports, to attend an out of town funeral for a beloved relative is a difficult challenge.  Travel costs, minimal or no bereavement leave, or with plenty of money perhaps a position of responsibility with deadlines or even people's lives at stake.

High Level Meetings?

Sry couldn't resist 😛 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm just concerned about Dane Jackson.  I don't want to give him up!

My understanding is that if a team tries to sign Dane Jackson, the Bills simply have to add him to the active roster to prevent the other team from getting him. Personally, I have faith that the Bills would do exactly that. Beane won't want to essentially give away a draft pick that played well in lone his start a couple weeks ago. Who gets cut so that he could be added? I have no idea.

Edited by Logic
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2020/11/10/buffalo-bills-vs-arizona-cardinals-picks-predictions-nfl-week-10/6234477002/

stole this from az forum.   

also i see budda baker should be back which is big for them plus our old compainion jordan phillips should be actiive.   the injury bug bit them on D early in the year 

but they have some really decent players.   

1 hour ago, Logic said:

My understanding is that if a team tries to sign Dane Jackson, the Bills simply have to add him to the active roster to prevent the other team from getting him. Personally, I have faith that the Bills would do exactly that. Beane won't want to essentially give away a draft pick that played well in lone his start a couple weeks ago. Who gets cut so that he could be added? I have no idea.

Athough the Bills could offer him a contract if another team was interested, he isn’t obligated to take it. Practice squad players (at least in a normal year) are essentially free agents and can/will field offers/calls from other teams. It is usually a courtesy to discuss and check in with their current team to see if the could offer something the player likes better