A Few Thoughts About the Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

1 - Daboll - I've been incredibly critical of Daboll's rushing attack play calls this year.  He's lacked creativity and seemed to run because he felt he technically had to.  Today, he deployed a rushing attack that I hope he maintains for the rest of the season (in quality, not quantity).  He put Motor and Moss on the field at the same time, used zone runs, and pulls guards.  The result was our best rushing game of the season.  I can't speak for the wind today, but I would have liked to have seen some more passes once the rain stopped, especially against the depleted Pats secondary.  Regardless, solid gameplan that should have put up 10 more points than we say (Int and drop

As we all should be.  

He's getting like Roman.  Like leaving good players out of the passing game.  

*Disclaimed - If you are going to come on here and bash the close win against a depleted offense, just post it somewhere else.  In a week where the Dolphins embarrassed the Rams, Vikings ran over the Packers, and the Bengals crushed the Titans, any win in the conditions today is a positive.  If you can't be happy at 6-2, then there is no pleasing you.

Go Bills!

Amen, brother.

• Like (+1) 1

When I think of NFL divisional rivals, I always think about the Packers and Vikings.  No matter how good one of them got, they always played each other hard and close.  Coincidentally, they also played today and the Vikings pulled out the upset win.  When you play in the same division, the coaches and players simply know each other better and the results don't match up with what the pre-game analytics would suggest.  Then we have the Bills and the Pats today....

1 - Daboll - I've been incredibly critical of Daboll's rushing attack play calls this year.  He's lacked creativity and seemed to run because he felt he technically had to.  Today, he deployed a rushing attack that I hope he maintains for the rest of the season (in quality, not quantity).  He put Motor and Moss on the field at the same time, used zone runs, and pulls guards.  The result was our best rushing game of the season.  I can't speak for the wind today, but I would have liked to have seen some more passes once the rain stopped, especially against the depleted Pats secondary.  Regardless, solid gameplan that should have put up 10 more points than we say (Int and drop). 

2 - Motor/Moss - These guys really made the most of their opportunities today and really impressed me.  Moss's rush before the first touchdown validated the Bills selection of him in the 3rd round as he showed speed, power, and a quick cut.  His two touchdown runs really showed his power, even with some help from Feliciano and Winters pushing him in.  Both guys broke some arm tackles and solid burst.  I'd give the edge today to Moss for overall production, but they both made a solid argument for MVP.  The touchdowns determined the winner for me.  Call-out to Motor for making a solid block on one of Moss's runs.  Love that team effort.

3 - Feliciano - I didn't know I could miss a guy I barely paid attention to before and an offensive lineman at that.  On each of the big run replays, Feliciano absolutely mauled his defenders.  He probably should have been called for a few holds as I saw him straight up tackle a guy once.  Man, he really made a difference out there, again with the touchdown support.  It's really unfortunate that Morse went out with a concussion (especially being his potential 5th), because the line could look a lot different in the rushing attack with Morse, Feliciano, and Ford anchoring the middle.  Either way, solid effort in his first game back and in transitioning to Center.

4 - You say you got a real solution, well you know, we'd all love to see the plan

You ask me for a contribution, well you know, we are doing what we can

But if you want money for people with minds that hate

All I can tell you brother is you have to wait

Don't you know it's gonna be alright, alright, alright.

5 - Pats Defense - First off, can we talk about the Hoodie' son's mullet?  Is he trying to one-up his day for style points?  Moving on.  The pass rush of the Pats today was solid and didn't make Dawkins or Williams look great at times.  They were edge rushing wide on most past plays and sped up Allen's clock.  They may not have brought Allen down much, but he took some shots today and made things uncomfortable at times.  The Hoodie was also up to his old tricks of standing all 11 guys pre-snap and showed 8 in the box.  I'm curious to see what the All-22 shows and hear more about the wind, because I'm curious how the coverage was downfield.

6 - Klein - For a FA target that we gave 6 mil a year too, I really expected more out of AJ this season.  He's been mainly non-existent and his snap rotation seems low.  Today, he missed at least two tackles today that resulted in solid gains.  Most of the plays today that gave me the typical Pats/Bills flashbacks, were attached to missed tackles where Klein was involved and in the area.  Overall, just not seeing the production from him that justifies us targeting him or his contract. 

7 - Allen - I hate to keep talking about the wind and the offensive scheme, but it's safe to say that any evaluation of Allen has to take those into consideration.  However, I think Allen overall played a solid game today and, more importantly, never seemed confused or raddled by the Pats defense.  His interception was a mis-play by Diggs.  Davis dropped a wide open touchdown pass that was a great play by Allen.  Josh had a few solid runs and took what was given.  His one deep shot missed, but I liked the shot.  There was a deep crossing route to Diggs that Diggs claimed to have his arm held, which would have extended a drive, but never saw a replay.  Overall, not a great game but also not a bad game.  I loved seeing the fire in Josh on his rushing TD and can't wait until the rematch in New England.

8 - Defense - Talk about a tale of two halves.  Based off the first half alone, I didn't think the Patriots were ever going to core a touchdown against us.  Not only did they score a touchdown in the second half, but they scored two and quickly.  On the second touchdown drive, we looked very Bills/Pats Billsy with missed tackles and penalties.  Penalties and mistakes overall kept the Pats in this game.  As for Frazier, I don't know why Tre didn't shadow Meyers once he showed to be the go-to guy for Cam.  This is now two weeks in a row where we've been susceptible e to the outside toss/pitch.  Then, on the last drive, you all felt it to.  I went from calm to panicked in about 10 seconds as the Pats drove down field to possible win the game at the end.  I couldn't wrap my brain around the concept of losing this game after the first 55 minutes of feeling completely in control.  But, thanks to the Zimmer and "Next Man Up Marlow", we got to see Cam sitting on the sideline in total shame and despair and Josh take the knee.  24 points should have been enough to keep this a stress-free game, but Frazier and the defense still showed we have a ways to go.

9 - The Hoodie - I've never hidden my disdain for the Cheat as I find him to be a poor example of winning at all costs.  You can call BS all you want, but I would trade one Super Bowl ring if it meant him being our coach.  His system only works when they win, and it's clear that's what earns him such a long leash with the players.  I've wondered if a primary reason for all their opts outs this season were because of the culture he creates.  I think his ego is ridiculous.  I think his son being on the defensive staff is ridiculous.  I still remember Brady throwing bombs to Moss in their 16-0 season because they were going for records.  I think about his press conferences, the way he pushes the rule book, and just overall demeanor.  I can go on forever, but it incensed me when they ran draws on 3rd and long, showing they had no respect for our offense.  His offensive kick backfiring into a touchdown felt amazing.  His timeouts while we were taking a knee rubbed me the wrong way too.  Yes, I'm bias in my dislike of him, and I couldn't be happier to see him walk off the field a loser today.

10 - McD - Gameball has to go to McD today for his first win against the Pats.  It may not have gone how anyone wanted it to, but a win is a win and we are 6-2 halfway through the season.  Our schedule doesn't get any easier next week, so this win was important.  We are one more division win from controlling all division tie breakers (don't even try to show me all the mathematical scenarios to prove me wrong, you know what I mean).  This was a solid win and had the defense played their part in the second half, would have been a solid win.  Great first half of the season and hopefully this gets the monkey off your back.

Shout out - Bass - It's easy to take for granted the 3 extra points and short Field Goal today, but Bass was solid against the win for all 4 kicks.  He misses even one of those, and we are possibly losing this game on the last drive.  All of his kicks were right down the middle.

*Disclaimed - If you are going to come on here and bash the close win against a depleted offense, just post it somewhere else.  In a week where the Dolphins embarrassed the Rams, Vikings ran over the Packers, and the Bengals crushed the Titans, any win in the conditions today is a positive.  If you can't be happy at 6-2, then there is no pleasing you.

Go Bills!

Running on third and long was an indictment of their QB.  He is brutal.  

And the wind yesterday was bad.  I live near the stadium.  Started out decent in the morning (south wind; unusual), but was shifting throughout the morning.  Then, about five minutes before kickoff, the skies opened.  Think biblical rain.  And then the rain slowed but the wind remained strong (W to WSW, which is normal) for the duration of the afternoon.  This wasn't the wind of the Cassel Patriots year or Giants 07, but it was plenty, plenty enough to disrupt the game, including our passing game. 

9 hours ago, CNYfan said:

I think the play at RT is better than it has been since I can't remember. 

I thought  99 played ok, a touch of an improvement 

No one is complaining about Tyler B today

Gabriel needs to get his head around this game he is getting paid to play

Our QB is still a good QB

"Same old friends the wind and rain, but we'll see summer come again"

Davis looked like he was freezing in one of the sideline shots on TV.  Rocking back and forth on the bench in a parka.  Not surprised he dropped the pass.  Looked a little checked out.  

12 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

1. The Pats WR name you were looking for is Meyers.

2. Dislike BB all you want IMO he outcoached McDermott and was one Cam fumble away from stealing a win the Pats had no right to.

3. if the Bills had stuck to Running the ball they would have run away with the game but insisting on attacking the Pats secondary IMO kept the Pats in the game.

4. your RB ran hard and well..

5. The question is still the Bills D,who more like survived than one that game.  They will have do better against teams like Seattle etc.

6.  This is now the Bills division to lose. So enjoy it.

BB was aided greatly by the weather yesterday.  The wind was an equalizer.  

Yes we are 6-2. No, I'm not a crazed ecstatic fan. Our defense look pathetic against inferior teams. We're 6-2 because of mainly three players. Diggs, Beasley, and Josh Allen with the exception of a six field goal game. Defense will cost us down the road. A fumble decided the game and it shouldn't have come close to being that. We stink defensively and we can't put lip stick on the pig here by saying we're 6-2.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is the boxscore I wanted to see!!!  Note they ran & threw for more then the Bills did.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=401220136

I love the narrative on many of these threads.  If you are not bringing your Pom Poms & cheering the Bills beating the Pats, then leave.  

The Bills won, check....  Did they play well?  Maybe rushing, but overall no.

This seems to be a weekly issue.

My thoughts:

1.  First half run defense, finally!!!; second half run defense.. blah

2.  Zimmer sizzles at the most important moment in the game.

3.  Imagine the stadium at 37 seconds left in the fourth yesterday and then immediately there after.

4.  Moss, I finally see it.  And his pass protection is pretty good too for a rookie.  I saw numerous examples of him picking up the late blitzer yesterday and handling it.

5.  So BB chose to deploy 7 DBs to stop Josh.  First I didn't know they had 7 healthy DBs.  Second, it failed as the Bills ran up almost 200 yards on those 7 DBs.  Third, BB wasn't going to allow the 9ers blueprint to beating the Patriots happen again this week.

6.  I never did see what happened to Morse.  Thought maybe he got poked in the eye when it first happened. 

7.  How and I mean how did Jacoby Meyers keep getting open against two starting CBs?  

8.  Was John Brown a decoy yesterday?  He really wasn't seriously targeted.

9.  Impressed that Feliciano was able to move into center and handle the snapping duties and calls.  He might be the quiet MVP of yesterday.

10. Loved the entire offensive line carrying Moss over the goal line.

11.  And one more.  6-2 against this schedule.  Happy, happy, happy.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, wjag said:

My thoughts:

1.  First half run defense, finally!!!; second half run defense.. blah

2.  Zimmer sizzles at the most important moment in the game.

3.  Imagine the stadium at 37 seconds left in the fourth yesterday and then immediately there after.

4.  Moss, I finally see it.  And his pass protection is pretty good too for a rookie.  I saw numerous examples of him picking up the late blitzer yesterday and handling it.

5.  So BB chose to deploy 7 DBs to stop Josh.  First I didn't know they had 7 healthy DBs.  Second, it failed as the Bills ran up almost 200 yards on those 7 DBs.  Third, BB wasn't going to allow the 9ers blueprint to beating the Patriots happen again this week.

6.  I never did see what happened to Morse.  Thought maybe he got poked in the eye when it first happened. 

7.  How and I mean how did Jacoby Meyers keep getting open against two starting CBs?  

8.  Was John Brown a decoy yesterday?  He really wasn't seriously targeted.

9.  Impressed that Feliciano was able to move into center and handle the snapping duties and calls.  He might be the quiet MVP of yesterday.

10. Loved the entire offensive line carrying Moss over the goal line.

11.  And one more.  6-2 against this schedule.  Happy, happy, happy.  

John Brown is seriously injured and it may be a season-long problem.

Meyers was getting open mostly on play-action and/or blitz hot routes where the middle was open and he was running quick slants.

Ugly wins get you to the playoffs, thats all anyone needs to know.  That and this is the end of the Pats dynasty.  Having said that, I remain of the opinion that they will be back next year in a big way and this year is kind of a one off, adjustment type of scenario.  

13 hours ago, sullim4 said:

That onside kick was a terrible call at that point in the game given the low percentage of success.  I thought it wreaked of desperation for a 2-4 team desperate for a win as opposed to a shrewd move on BB's part.

Also how about the FG right before half on 3rd and 1 with 12 seconds left.  How about a pass to the end zone instead.  Plenty of time to run another play and then kick a FG on 4th down if needed.

10 hours ago, Rocky Landing said:

That's having Cam Newton as your QB. This is just my opinion, but part of the genius of Belichick* is risk management-- risk vs. reward. The risk of the onside kick was giving the Bills good field position-- but only by about 15-20 yards. Belichick knows the Bills offense, and knows that if they get into a groove, they can compensate for field position quickly. But, even if the Bills take advantage (as they did) it also gets the Pats* offense back on the field that much quicker. 

But, regarding the field goal, you have to assume the end of the half, with 12 seconds on the clock, and knowing Newton's proclivities, Belichick* felt going for third and long was too likely to result in leaving points on the field rather than getting the TD, and that not leaving points on the field was the more important outcome. And giving Newton 12 seconds to screw things up was too risky for the moment. 

Sure, it all seems a bit desperate, but you can't argue with the results-- three points, and a stupid Newton fumble from a tie game, with clearly inferior talent.

I look at it this way, by not throwing into the end zone on 3rd and 1 with 12 seconds you give up a chance on getting 7 points and settling for 3 points.  Newton is a veteran QB and should know how to handle that situation.  In a close game that was a pretty conservative call.

Also the Bills recovered the onside kick at the Pats 45.  That was around 30 yards field position difference.  

44 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

John Brown is seriously injured and it may be a season-long problem.

Meyers was getting open mostly on play-action and/or blitz hot routes where the middle was open and he was running quick slants.

Yeah, he had a couple plays called back on holding or pre-snap too, but mostly those 2, and the other long completion were deep overs into the zones where we didn't get pressure. Not sure it was coverage issues.

1 hour ago, Radar said:

Yes we are 6-2. No, I'm not a crazed ecstatic fan. Our defense look pathetic against inferior teams. We're 6-2 because of mainly three players. Diggs, Beasley, and Josh Allen with the exception of a six field goal game. Defense will cost us down the road. A fumble decided the game and it shouldn't have come close to being that. We stink defensively and we can't put lip stick on the pig here by saying we're 6-2.

Winning close games will always have a degree of  luck - but at the same time... Having a QB who you trust in the 4th quarter of a tight game is probably more important than having a dominant defense.  Miami had a great game, a great gameplan of blitzes for LA.  But if that game was tied at 28 with 4 minutes left, i don't see them driving down and winning with a rookie QB.  That may cost them games down the line.  I see them struggling to get to the 9 wins that everyone else seems to have them pegged for.  

Good post!!!

Did you happen to notice the pass that Allen threw to Diggs with approx. 3 minutes left in the 2nd Quarter? It was a sideline pattern and Josh was on the run and just zipped the football in there for a first down.

Plays like this don't make highlight film, but only a couple of other QBs could have completed that pass.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Allen - I hate to keep talking about the wind and the offensive scheme, but it's safe to say that any evaluation of Allen has to take those into consideration.  However, I think Allen overall played a solid game today and, more importantly, never seemed confused or raddled by the Pats defense.  His interception was a mis-play by Diggs.  Davis dropped a wide open touchdown pass that was a great play by Allen.  Josh had a few solid runs and took what was given.  His one deep shot missed, but I liked the shot.  There was a deep crossing route to Diggs that Diggs claimed to have his arm held, which would have extended a drive, but never saw a replay.  Overall, not a great game but also not a bad game.  I loved seeing the fire in Josh on his rushing TD and can't wait until the rematch in New England.

7. Agreed with Allen. If it was possible to say a QB had a boring but good day that is how I would describe it. The gameplan was 100% run the ball given the weather and NE's scheme of 6-7 CBs. The INT was funny because everyone I was with said he can't do that and then you saw it was on Diggs which was confirmed as much on the sideline. The last two weeks Davis has robbed him of TD's one being the drop this week and the other the penalty which wiped Davis who made a nice play from getting TDs. The offense and Allen I am not worried with other then the KC game they are moving the ball regularly and if they clean up a mistake or two their back to scoring in the highs 20 low 30s. 

Disclaimer agreed. I was generally pissed at fans yesterday who were mad it wasn't 31-7. Divisional games are a whole different animal, across the board upsets rang, and they are 6-2 with a pretty decent offense that is doing well and defense which is average to maybe below average but has the potential for better.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Yes  two decades of winning football is amazing if you played within rules.

• But Cheats had zebras help them "just give it to them & make up rules never applied before "Tuck rule".
  • Head coach skirted rules lines many times saying "he misunderstood NFL memos".
  • NFL buried multiple cheating scandals, changed schedule to allow key players to get healthy and allow players to get minor penalties for what other players got multigame suspensions for (i.e. Gronk's use of metal brace to attack a player post play).
  • Starting QB took less than market strategy while selling supplements to NFL teammates to make up difference.
  • Owner had deal with Russian president and former KGB head for spying help and all it cost him was a Superbowl ring and story about how he stole it.

Not as difficult and if you were as good as you claimed you would not need all of that.

Seek help. 

15 hours ago, flmike said:

Enjoy it because you know the Hoodie will have a good QB again some day.

Not necessarily.  I wouldnt be shocked if he hangs it up this year.   I dont think they will be able to draft for Lawrence or Feilds this year.   What does BB have left to prove (beyond the fact it was BB and not Brady that lead to success.  

Great write up as always, @Virgil.

I wasn't completely thrilled with the game yesterday, and lots of other posters here have identified problem areas, so I won't rehash those.  Having written that, I was happy with the win last night when I went to bed, and I was happy again today as I thought about the game.  Why?

For the first time in forever, the Bills are a good team (not great, not elite, but solid... and good).  The BBFS in me has stifled my optimism for a very long time, and a decade and a half of lost football in Buffalo did nothing to change my mind.  Watching Newton fumble yesterday, and having the Bills come out of it on the winning end reminded me of how bad things used to happen to this team always: fumbling, losing fumbles, mental errors, missed field goals/special teams miscues, blowing leads, being laughed at by the other team, and just straight up awful and uninspiring play for years on end.  I used to watch these games and wonder not if -- but when -- something bad was going to happen.  The Newton fumble was symbolic in a way, and it showed how much this team has changed for the better.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not necessarily.  I wouldnt be shocked if he hangs it up this year.   I dont think they will be able to draft for Lawrence or Feilds this year.   What does BB have left to prove (beyond the fact it was BB and not Brady that lead to success.  

You answered your own question.

Belichick jr's hair is ridiculous.  

Beane signing Klein for 6M is ridiculous. If a practice  squad guy doesn't make a huge play we probably lose that game. How does it take Sean McDermott so frickin long to identify Meyers as the only target and not put White on him. That game felt so weird. No Brady, Gronk or Gilmore to rub their noses in it. No fans to go nuts celebrating. I guess I'm more of a "down the road" guy. A win is a win albeit ugly. But the flaws I see on this team will rear their ugly heads later this year. I guarantee it unless changes and acquisitions are made.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

9 - The Hoodie - I've never hidden my disdain for the Cheat as I find him to be a poor example of winning at all costs.  You can call BS all you want, but I would trade one Super Bowl ring if it meant him being our coach.  His system only works when they win, and it's clear that's what earns him such a long leash with the players.  I've wondered if a primary reason for all their opts outs this season were because of the culture he creates.  I think his ego is ridiculous.  I think his son being on the defensive staff is ridiculous.  I still remember Brady throwing bombs to Moss in their 16-0 season because they were going for records.  I think about his press conferences, the way he pushes the rule book, and just overall demeanor.  I can go on forever, but it incensed me when they ran draws on 3rd and long, showing they had no respect for our offense.  His offensive kick backfiring into a touchdown felt amazing.  His timeouts while we were taking a knee rubbed me the wrong way too.  Yes, I'm bias in my dislike of him, and I couldn't be happier to see him walk off the field a loser today.

Go Bills!

Nice job, VIrg.  A lot of good things you put up this week, especially that opening about Division games.  I wanted to comment on two points. 

First, Allen.  I think it's funny that there's no one posting today about Allen being a project, a waste, not good enough, anything.  The fact of the matter is that Allen played an excellent game.   He was in command of the offense, and nothing much that the defense through at him seemed to trouble him.  He's really growing up as a field general, and that's bad news for the rest of the league. 

As for Belichick, I couldn't disagree much more.  Belichick isn't really a cheater.  He's just an amoral guy who pushes the envelope.   He studies the rules and tries to find ways to gain an advantage playing within the rules.   He's a guy with an incredible love for football and fascination for the nuances of the game.   He has great appreciation for the talents of the best players on the field, whether they are on his team or the other team.   And he has demonstrated an ability above all others who ever have coached to find ways to win games.   He is all about winning.

Belichick is very much like Nick Saban, and each of them is equally dislikable in terms of a public personality.  They both are quite like Geno Auriemma, who is disliked by many for the same reasons.   Gregg Popovich is the only guy I can think of who seems to be their equal in terms of mastery of the game but who someone manages to continue to be a likable gentleman.   Even Popovich has often been a difficult man to interview.  

I had no problem with Belichick taking the timeouts.   Who knows what's going to happen?   Call the timeouts and require the Bills to execute the simplest play in football correctly a couple of times.   Maybe someone will have a brain fart and the ball will come free.  Who knows?   

As for the onside kick, I think Belichick misjudged the extent to which his team was taking over the game.  There was no need to risk giving the Bills the short field, because the Bills were not going to be able to stop the Pats for the rest of the game.   He out-thought himself.  

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does it take Sean McDermott so frickin long to identify Meyers as the only target and not put White on him. 

I've seen this comment a few times.   I think it completely misperceives what happened. 

Meyers wasn't the target.  Whoever wasn't guarded by White was the target.  Put White on Meyers and the target shifts.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice job, VIrg.  A lot of good things you put up this week, especially that opening about Division games.  I wanted to comment on two points. 

First, Allen.  I think it's funny that there's no one posting today about Allen being a project, a waste, not good enough, anything.  The fact of the matter is that Allen played an excellent game.   He was in command of the offense, and nothing much that the defense through at him seemed to trouble him.  He's really growing up as a field general, and that's bad news for the rest of the league. 

As for Belichick, I couldn't disagree much more.  Belichick isn't really a cheater.  He's just an amoral guy who pushes the envelope.   He studies the rules and tries to find ways to gain an advantage playing within the rules.   He's a guy with an incredible love for football and fascination for the nuances of the game.   He has great appreciation for the talents of the best players on the field, whether they are on his team or the other team.   And he has demonstrated an ability above all others who ever have coached to find ways to win games.   He is all about winning.

Belichick is very much like Nick Saban, and each of them is equally dislikable in terms of a public personality.  They both are quite like Geno Auriemma, who is disliked by many for the same reasons.   Gregg Popovich is the only guy I can think of who seems to be their equal in terms of mastery of the game but who someone manages to continue to be a likable gentleman.   Even Popovich has often been a difficult man to interview.  

I had no problem with Belichick taking the timeouts.   Who knows what's going to happen?   Call the timeouts and require the Bills to execute the simplest play in football correctly a couple of times.   Maybe someone will have a brain fart and the ball will come free.  Who knows?   

As for the onside kick, I think Belichick misjudged the extent to which his team was taking over the game.  There was no need to risk giving the Bills the short field, because the Bills were not going to be able to stop the Pats for the rest of the game.   He out-thought himself.  

I've seen this comment a few times.   I think it completely misperceives what happened. 

Meyers wasn't the target.  Whoever wasn't guarded by White was the target.  Put White on Meyers and the target shifts.  

You regard the Hoodie with logic and reason.  I regard him with blind disdain.  I cannot use logic and reason, but applaud you for it

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You regard the Hoodie with logic and reason.  I regard him with blind disdain.  I cannot use logic and reason, but applaud you for it

I'll tell you a story you can add to your arsenal:  

My son went to Tufts, outside of Boston.  He had a friend who wrote sports for the Tufts Daily newspaper.   The kid went to a Tufts-Wesleyan game, at Tufts.  Saturday afternoon.   The kid see Belichick sitting alone in the stands - it must have been the Pats bye week.  (Belichick went to Wesleyan.)  So the kid sits next to Belichick, introduces himself as a reporter for the Daily.  Silence.  Asks Bill a question.  Silence.   Another question.  Silence.   Belichick didn't have the decency to give the kid the time of day.   It was classic Belichick.   Not very likable.

On the other hand, here's some evidence of what a geek he is.   Belichick wasn't a very good football player.   I don't think he ever started a game at Wesleyan, which is mediocre D-III football.   He also played lacrosse.   He may not have been very good, but he fell in love with games and strategy and teaching.   So a few years ago, when his daughter became the women's lacrosse coach at Wesleyan, he would show up when he had a free afternoon and be sort of an assistant coach to his daughter.   This is a guy who lives football 24-7, and when he has a day off, he finds a place to go coach.   

He's just different from most of us.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1