Bills File Trademark application on BillsMafia

MAJBobby
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

From Del Reid:

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, it’s completely garbage. Reid is a great dude and does a ton for charity (and they have awesome gear, support them).  He helped create it And the Bills are trying to steal it from them.

i really hope there is more to this story because the Bills look like a greedy, scumbag organization right now. 

Or the Bills should offer something to Reid maybe in the form if a job in their front office. I agree, Del Reid is one of the real good guys out there

• Like (+1) 2

I am going out on a limb here, but I suspect the team has a deal with Reid, or will try to make a deal with him. Probably paid him some money and had him sign some sort of release. Otherwise, the team would be blowing the goodwill and brand loyalty generated by Reid, and inviting a fight. 

also, while this move stinks, you can also sort of see the bills’ POV. Anyone that uses the Bills’ marks has the potential of doing bad things with them, diluting then, causing confusion, etc. So the team probably want control. 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, it’s completely garbage. Reid is a great dude and does a ton for charity (and they have awesome gear, support them).  He helped create it And the Bills are trying to steal it from them.

i really hope there is more to this story because the Bills look like a greedy, scumbag organization right now. 

Some folks want to hang me high when I say I’m not a big fan of the Pegulas. 

Welp, this here is just another example of them walking all over their built in, loyal fanbase. 

I’m not a fan of the Mafia moniker, but this is just plain stealing someone else’s creativity.

38 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Steady on here, guys.  As I understand, they're trademarking that particular logo.

But if they are trying to trademark the whole term and go after anyone else using it....it is a really poor look

Agreed. Personally, I believe it’s wise to withhold judgment until the entire story comes out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Because the Bills are taking a grassroots, fan verbiage that thy had nothing to do with and well are claiming theirs and will not charge anyone that ill want to use BillsMafia

They want to sell merchandise. There's nothing wrong with that. And they already own half of it.

It's not like they are going to go sue people for using the term. They just want to sell some shirts.

56 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Steady on here, guys.  As I understand, they're trademarking that particular logo.

But if they are trying to trademark the whole term and go after anyone else using it....it is a really poor look

No, they are seeking to register the entire mark as its presented, including the literary component (words) and any stylization included in the mark.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

if you don’t protect your trademarks you definitely risk them. Which could be a factor.

also just because Reid is doing positive now doesn’t mean he or others always will.

the optics are bad but the decision is sound and reasonable based on my limited knowledge of the situation.

• Like (+1) 5