MAJBobby

Bills File Trademark application on BillsMafia

Hapless Bills Fan

From Del Reid:

Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

The Bills legally could have acted on a Bills Mafia trademark without Reid’s, Wille’s or Harris’ blessing. The previous Bills Mafia logo was a buffalo and the word “mafia,” things that can’t be trademarked.

The Bills always could have applied their trademarked lettering or, say, their trademarked standing buffalo with the word “mafia” and sold gobs of paraphernalia.

“They didn’t have to reach out to me,” Reid said. “They could have taken this and done whatever they wanted. Instead, they asked me to be a part of it. Now I have the opportunity to tell the story on their platform.”

Edited by YoloinOhio

The Bills and the NFL previously opposed an attempt to federally trademark a version of a Bills Mafia logo (called the "MAFIA and Buffalo Design"), which resulted in the application to register that trademark being abandoned in early 2016.  Click the link to see the history of the opposition proceeding, which includes a copy of the written opposition filed on behalf of the Bills and the NFL:

https://ttabvue.uspto.gov/ttabvue/v?pno=91225627&pty=OPP&eno=1

13 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Come on Glenn, what do you have to say? 

@Limeaid

Not working. Will look at it when I am at work.

13 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'll wait to hear the full story as well, but it doesn't sound like a PR-savvy move.

Frankly marketing, PR, etc has always been poor IMO.  They actually contracted out their website at one point and the company posted the wrong score for a game.

I should trademark "Billsy" and get a payment every time it is used on this board.

• Haha (+1) 2

Wasn't it Stevie Johnson who originally coined the term bills mafia? 

On 10/16/2020 at 3:45 PM, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

yep, we've already had a respected, long-time poster WHO IS A PRACTICING TRADE MARK ATTORNEY tell us not to freak out, yet we have 8 more pages of people freaking out.

not the brightest builbs

38 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Wasn't it Stevie Johnson who originally coined the term bills mafia? 

He’s interviewed In the article I posted yesterday (Tim Graham/The Athletic)

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

It’s the correct business decision.  The Bills legal team has been negligent in not filing for the TM 2 - 3 years ago.