Bills File Trademark application on BillsMafia

MAJBobby
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

From Del Reid:

27 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

omg. Lighten tf up. What’s the 1st word in Billsmafia?

Bingo. #Trademark rights

this is how I am leaning too. Yes it doesn’t look that good from a PR standpoint, but Del’s “creation” is directly derived from the Bills’ IP, isn’t it? I mean, “Bills” is right there in the name and the team owns that. Hope they try to work a deal with Del at least.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Agreed. Personally, I believe it’s wise to withhold judgment until the entire story comes out. 

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Steady on here, guys.  As I understand, they're trademarking that particular logo.

But if they are trying to trademark the whole term and go after anyone else using it....it is a really poor look

This.

We live in such a Tweet-driven reactionary society that folks need to be retrained to pump-the-brakes, wait for a reliable and comprehensive source to fully explain, .... then break out the pitchforks and torches. :)

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Blokestradamus said:

Robyn is the nicest person on Earth. If you've pissed her off, you done ***** up.

that’s patently a terrible standard 

a  lot of fans here are thinking of the fun of when this goes right without realizing the bills can lose the right to protect themselves later when/if it goes wrong if they don’t step up.

del could license the term from them for various endeavors but you can’t just steal the team name, or logo. He’s the one that’s created the issue, and put the bills in a lose-lose situation where they have to protect the brand but will look bad cause he’s just a good guy

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, NoSaint said:

that’s patently a terrible standard 

a  lot of fans here are thinking of the fun of when this goes right without realizing the bills can lose the right to protect themselves if it goes wrong if they don’t step up.

del could license the term from them for various endeavors but you can’t just steal the team name, or logo. He’s the one that’s created the issue, and put the bills in a lose-lose situation where they have to protect the brand but will look bad cause he’s just a good guy

Yep, the fact that he might be a "good guy" or is small compared to the Bills organization is totally irrelevant (except for the optics).

And it isnt just Del, you set the precedent NOW.   Maybe some others start to market the name, maybe they are not small and/or not :"good guys".  You get it under control as soon as you can.

And he did put the bills in a lose-lose situation, read some of these responses if you need the evidence, all they are doing is trying to protect the Bills name/image/likeness.

2 minutes ago, Irv said:

Bush move by the Bills.  Lost respect for the club. 

how would you feel if someone used a similar phrase derogatorily with the bills and/logo to sell Flags/towels to opposing fans at games? 

if the bills don’t protect it legally here they could lose the right to stop it there. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Lagoon Blues said:

Does anyone know for sure if they are not working with him on this?

No one knows just a bunch of wild arse guessing including this implicit assumption the Bills are going to be selling T Shirts with Bills Mafia on it.  I wouldn't be shocked if they just want the term to die.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

WTF you talking about?  Like this forum is full of pink unicorns farting gold sparkles or something?

I was just saying...

You can only say that the Bills burned somebody nice for so long until all of a sudden it will be a taboo topic. We all know this is true, it's just a matter of how long until it is taboo?

Just now, NoSaint said:

how would you feel if someone used a similar phrase derogatorily with the bills and/logo to sell Flags/towels to opposing fans at games? 

if the bills don’t protect it legally here they could lose the right to stop it there. 

Yep.  I stand by my "very few business people on this board" comment.    Which, frankly, I'm a bit surprised by...

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

Wouldn't a cease-and-desist be more appropriate than filing for a copyright?  The copyright makes the Bills look greedy. 

3 minutes ago, Irv said:

Wouldn't a cease-and-desist be more appropriate than filing for a copyright?  The copyright makes the Bills look greedy. 

proving ownership of the term would go a long way first.

for all you know they could license it back to the guy to use for various charitable projects where they just get approval on design to ensure it meets buffalo bills standards. 

it makes sense they would want to own the right to branding associated with them. Who knows what will happen from here but they are 100% correct legally and morally to file the claim.

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, NoSaint said:

for all you know they could license it back to the guy to use for various charitable projects where they just get approval on design to ensure it meets buffalo bills standards. 

it makes sense they would want to own the right to branding associates with them. Who knows what will happen from here but they are 100% correct legally and morally to file the claim.

Morally?  Coming form a dude who calls himself NoSaint?

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Yep.  I stand by my "very few business people on this board" comment.    Which, frankly, I'm a bit surprised by...

I work in creative design and this copyright/trademark 101. This is the Bills protecting their brand. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with it.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Irv said:

Morally?  Coming form a dude who calls himself NoSaint?

Haha, i believe it is an allusion to the New Orleans Saints where he/she has an outline of the state on the Avatar.

Probably stuck on Louisiana trying to root for the Bills, I know I used to live there.  Obnoxious as heck fans and there slogan "who dat" is a lot more ignorant and offensive imo than is the "Bills Mafia".

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

proving ownership of the term would go a long way first.

it makes sense they would want to own the right to branding associated with them. Who knows what will happen from here but they are 100% correct legally and morally to file the claim.

Watch out.  Saints copyrighting NoSaint. 

• Haha (+1) 1