Bills File Trademark application on BillsMafia

MAJBobby
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

From Del Reid:

23 minutes ago, WideNine said:

This.

We live in such a Tweet-driven reactionary society that folks need to be retrained to pump-the-brakes, wait for a reliable and comprehensive source to fully explain, .... then break out the pitchforks and torches. :)

yep, we've already had a respected, long-time poster WHO IS A PRACTICING TRADE MARK ATTORNEY tell us not to freak out, yet we have 8 more pages of people freaking out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Holy cow Wyo, still banging' around. I half expect to see TheBlackBear next.

Oddly, I don't remember making her mad being all that hard. Ahem.

Neither do I, assuming we are talking about the same person.

I recall stating something uncomplimentary about field hockey and I got a wyorant, as she would term it.

I still miss McAddict, he was the best poster.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If this brought an end of the Mafia term being associated with the Bills, I'm all for it.  

Though, I would consider the Bills cashing in on it even more vile.

I have no problem with Bills Fans trying to jump through burning tables of any kind. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, I am the egg man said:

If this brought an end of the Mafia term being associated with the Bills, I'm all for it.  

Though, I would consider the Bills cashing in on it even more vile.

I have no problem with Bills Fans trying to jump through burning tables of any kind. 

1,000% agree. Its something that a 14yr old would like... not grown men and women who are Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Honestly, it’s completely garbage. Reid is a great dude and does a ton for charity (and they have awesome gear, support them).  He helped create it And the Bills are trying to steal it from them.

i really hope there is more to this story because the Bills look like a greedy, scumbag organization right now. 

This may get answered later in the thread, but if not, I'm wondering if he tried to trademark it himself at some point. If so, was it denied? If not, I wonder why.

Ok, I read further into the thread and it looks like the Bills organization is handling this the right way, glad to see it.  Also, I really like the new logo design and I will probably get a shirt with it when the are available.

Go Bills!

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

4 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

This may get answered later in the thread, but if not, I'm wondering if he tried to trademark it himself at some point. If so, was it denied? If not, I wonder why.

It would have gotten thrown out. He would be trying to trademark Bills Mafia as it relates to the Buffalo Bills football team. He’s using Bills branding to further his own Bills Mafia branding. You can’t do that. 

Now, if Bills Mafia had nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills, he might have a chance.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Del Reid got paid

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

And This:

This leads me to believe that there was some sort of financial compensation between the Bills and Reid.  It’s interesting because the other 2 founders didn’t seem to know about this earlier in the morning.  

So either there was an agreement with Reid and he didn’t tell the others.  Or the Bills reached out to him and smoothed things over.

Its also interesting that it took Del until 3:00 PM when the topic was trending earlier in the morning. 

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Del Reid got paid

Yup...he said it without saying it. They worked a deal out which included the Bills organization trademarking it. Now they can control how its used and presented. Seems like an old case of if you can't beat em join em. They know they can't stop the term from being used so deciding to take some control over it is smart. 

Way too many people in here jump to conclusions. A move like this would be thoroughly thought out by multiple people much more qualified than us. Why sit back and assume the Bills made a terrible decision based off how things look on the surface before hearing from the other side??

17 minutes ago, T&C said:

The standing buffalo does not have a trademark.

Guess again...https://buffalonews.com/its-who-we-are-bills-apply-for-trademark-for-bills-mafia/article_d91e3d1e-0fbf-11eb-a1cb-5b84369776e6.html

“Bills Mafia is part of our family. It’s who we are,” said Ron Raccuia, executive vice president of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, which manages the Pegulas’ business interests, including the Bills. “I could see it as really part of our regular marks, the same way you see our charging Buffalo, the same way you see our standing Buffalo, our Bills word mark.”

Anyway, all the outrage is moot:

"Raccuia praised the work Reid and his co-founders have done over the years to build up the Bills Mafia identity. He said the Bills won’t stop 26 Shirts from selling its merchandise as a result of the team’s trademark application.

“It doesn’t change what they do at all,” Raccuia said. “They have their own version of the buffalo logo with 'Mafia.' We’ve told Del we want him to be a part of this. He’s integral to how this gets developed.

“Really, (Reid is) part of our Bills family,” he said. “We’re not leaving anyone behind. We’re actually trying to bring everyone together and bring it to a higher level.” 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Guess again...https://buffalonews.com/its-who-we-are-bills-apply-for-trademark-for-bills-mafia/article_d91e3d1e-0fbf-11eb-a1cb-5b84369776e6.html

“Bills Mafia is part of our family. It’s who we are,” said Ron Raccuia, executive vice president of Pegula Sports and Entertainment, which manages the Pegulas’ business interests, including the Bills. “I could see it as really part of our regular marks, the same way you see our charging Buffalo, the same way you see our standing Buffalo, our Bills word mark.”

Anyway, all the outrage is moot:

"Raccuia praised the work Reid and his co-founders have done over the years to build up the Bills Mafia identity. He said the Bills won’t stop 26 Shirts from selling its merchandise as a result of the team’s trademark application.

“It doesn’t change what they do at all,” Raccuia said. “They have their own version of the buffalo logo with 'Mafia.' We’ve told Del we want him to be a part of this. He’s integral to how this gets developed.

“Really, (Reid is) part of our Bills family,” he said. “We’re not leaving anyone behind. We’re actually trying to bring everyone together and bring it to a higher level.” 

Yup, they just want the ability to quality assure what's being made.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Holy cow Wyo, still banging' around. I half expect to see TheBlackBear next.

Oddly, I don't remember making her mad being all that hard. Ahem.

Ha. Some ol’ BBMB blowhards still blowin’ hard, apparently.

At least TheBlackBear was occasionally amusing...”ya big dummy” 😂 

• Haha (+1) 2