My 2 biggest disappointments this year are Edmunds & Oliver

LB48

Oliver simply can't create any problems for our opponents.  He's a great athlete but a bust as a pass rusher.  And, we so need an elite pass rusher.

Edmunds has regressed terribly.  Watch how many plays he's just running around and accomplishing nothing.  He isn't strong enough to make the big tackles and certainly isn't a stud MLB that a Championship team needs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

Edmunds has looked absolutely horrible all season and it's clear as day.  I don't think that's the case with Oliver as he has his moments where he can make plays but at the same time he was supposed to be a monster and a gamebreaker but he has really been just average up to this point.  I've been saying for awhile this defense lacks elite talent.  You aren't going to have a top defense in the NFL that can carry you to a championship without at least having one or two elite level players.  

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

We truly miss Star on that DL. I know Oliver misses him taking up two blockers. Edmunds? Sheesh, I got nothing. 

Maybe Edmund's shoulder injury has affected his speed....he looks rather slow ??  I think they miss Jordan Phillips more than Star actually.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, H2o said:

We truly miss Star on that DL. I know Oliver misses him taking up two blockers. Edmunds? Sheesh, I got nothing. 

I think Edmunds was a talented kid but didn't grow up into the NFL game.

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

Edmunds has looked absolutely horrible all season and it's clear as day.  I don't think that's the case with Oliver as he has his moments where he can make plays but at the same time he was supposed to be a monster and a gamebreaker but he has really been just average up to this point.  I've been saying for awhile this defense lacks elite talent.  You aren't going to have a top defense in the NFL that can carry you to a championship without at least having one or two elite level players.  

Very, very true!

Just now, LB48 said:

I think Edmunds was a talented kid but didn't grow up into the NFL game.

I mean he's only 21. Maybe the switch to OLB is needed at this point. He is just too undisciplined to play in the middle. Playing outside would hide some of his flaws.

• Like (+1) 1

Could we use more talent, yes.  But at what point does coaching/motivating players begins to be questioned?  We are playing sloppy, slow, and soft.  We hit no one with authority, just hug the ball carrier and get dragged 3-5 yards while waiting for some teammates to push him over.  No aggression, fire, or desire to be great on that side of the ball.  

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Edmunds was average to begin with.  The Bills did a good job of PR on him but he has been the second best linebacker on the team his entire career.  He is getting abused without Milano out there.

Right now he isnt playing well enough for a 5th year option

He’s only 21 and they were just talking on Sunday night how they’ve moved KJ Wright around for Seattle. Not sure why Edmunds couldn’t move outside. 

Oliver has had some moments this season but he needs to start to show consistency. Almost halfway through his second year we need more than flashes. 

I am now officially concerned on Edmunds. Major regression from 2019. He is swimming out there. I wonder a bit if they have changed a lot up to try and compensate for not having Star and Edmunds is thinking too much instead of playing fast? Or maybe he is hurt? I don't know but he is playing mainly bad football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Edmunds may be hampered significantly by his shoulder injury, but even last year his play was, at best, uneven.  Middle linebacker may not be the right position for him and he may never develop into a very good linebacker wherever he plays.  Oliver does seem pretty average so far, but he would have more opportunities to make plays if he had a true run stopping/space eater defensive tackle.

Coming into the season, we had poor depth at linebacker, and it is hurting us now.  I expected more from Klein, but he may not fit the current scheme which seems to depend on linebackers with speed and who can cover.

Our drafts under Beane have been better overall, but Edmunds, who was expensive in terms of the draft capital used to move up and select him, Oliver and Ford have all been disappointing overall.  We really need more from these first and second round draft picks.

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

They aren't busts in that they are that bad, just not what we'd expect from 1st round selections.

That’s the definition of a bust. If they were drafted in the 5th/6th round, which is how they are playing, people wouldn’t be up in arms and calling them busts. There’s no such thing as a 5th round bust, just 1st and maybe 2nd round busts. And Edmunds and Oliver fit the bill.