High ranking NFL official admits some teams may not play 16 games this year...

Big Turk

It is in the middle of this timeline article...

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rescheduling-games-devastating-injuries-firing-123409860.html

I mean that kind of sucks if you have a team like the Jets on your schedule and you don't get to play them but you end up playing the Chiefs...under this scenario, how many teams will make/miss the playoffs because of random chance and dealing with schedule adjustments due to other teams out of their control?

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/rescheduling-games-devastating-injuries-firing-123409860.html

I mean that kind of sucks if you have a team like the Jets on your schedule and you don't get to play them but you end up playing the Chiefs...under this scenario, how many teams will make/miss the playoffs because of random chance and dealing with schedule adjustments due to other teams out of their control?

It sucks.  

There’s a pandemic going on.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It sucks.  

There’s a pandemic going on.  

I ask, not you specifically, but the group in general.  Why is ONE team such a $hitshow and every other team seems to have things in control.....within reason?  Honestly I am SUPER surprised LVR didn't go down in positive testing flames....happy they didn't but super surprised.

• Like (+1) 1

The commissioner is earning that money for sure. I see them using win % over win/loss to determine playoffs. Its not ideal but they are doing their best and we have football. On another note the salary cap will be lower next year. What good teams will be impacted the most?

37 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I’m fascinated by one tributary of what’s happened with all the schedule changes. Kansas City at Buffalo was supposed to be the Thursday night game in Week 6. It was tentatively moved to Sunday after the Bills got scheduled to play Tuesday in Tennessee this week. Now it got moved to Monday night at 5 p.m. in Buffalo. Why is this interesting to me? Because it took the Thursday night game, and a very good one, off a prime-time window. Those games, roughly, are worth $60 million a game to the NFL. By moving the game to Monday at 5 p.m. and keeping it on FOX, it gave a great game to a bad time slot, but it avoided making FOX take a lesser game in the only part of the network inventory that is flexible: Saturday windows in Weeks 15 and 16.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Assuming there is a Super Bowl, how will history judge this year’s winner? Do you guys think the victory will be watered down? It’ll definitely have an asterisk next to it forever, but is any of the legitimacy diminished? 

I don't, will be harder to win IMO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Assuming there is a Super Bowl, how will history judge this year’s winner? Do you guys think the victory will be watered down? It’ll definitely have an asterisk next to it forever, but is any of the legitimacy diminished? 

If they still play the games, then not in my mind. If some team is granted entry into the playoffs due to a forfeit scenario, then obviously depending on how deep they go in the playoffs, it could be seen as artificial in some sense. All of that in mind though, every team will need to endure injuries or illness in one form or another, so if a team escapes relatively whole - then that means they've been planning and preparing well and taking the precautions as dictated by the league and medical community. They deserve that credit as well. 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Real McNasty said:

1 minute ago, BigBuff423 said:

If they still play the games, then not in my mind. If some team is granted entry into the playoffs due to a forfeit scenario, then obviously depending on deep they go in the playoffs, it could be seen as artificial in some sense. All of that in mind though, every team will need to endure injuries or illness in one form or another, so if a team escapes relatively whole - then that means they've been planning and preparing well and taking the precautions as dictated by the league and medical community. They deserve that credit as well. 

I agree. All teams/players have had to deal with this pandemic.

I have a friend who is a Pats fan and he was already mentioning how this season is questionable and he brought up the fact the Pats lost bc they had to play without Cam Newton. This thought process is nauseating; however, it’s an unfortunate reality that many fans of teams will possibly not regard the winner of this season highly. 

• Like (+1) 3

Think of pandemic football. Think of what an accomplishment it would be if the 3-0 Titans (assuming they play) win Tuesday night against the 4-0 Bills.

Tennessee hasn’t had a regular football practice in 17 days. The Titans worked out twice over the weekend—a light workout Saturday, and a longer practice late Sunday afternoon—but neither could be considered normal. And now they play a game against one of the most impressive teams in football that’s been on its regular schedule, mostly, until this week and the Tuesday game. You very likely won’t hear any Titan player or coach complain about it because, after all, it’s more than 20 COVID-positive tests on the team and organization that put Tennessee in this predicament.

Writer sugar coated Titans.  They have been denying they did anything wrong and NFL needs to punish them for they put other teams into this predicament.

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I have a friend who is a Pats fan and he was already mentioning how this season is questionable and he brought up the fact the Pats lost bc they had to play without Cam Newton. This thought process is nauseating; however, it’s an unfortunate reality that many fans of teams will possibly not regard the winner of this season highly. 

The only asterisks are the ones where the winning team cheated.

• Awesome! (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

P*ts choose to get rid of the goat and sign Cam for low dollars and they are complaining when NFL their low paid QB and their defensive player of the year who does not tackle get COVID forcing move of their and other games.

Titans and P*ts ought to get married.

5 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

I suggest a better class of friends!   :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

12 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Fangio had an interesting perspective:

"10:15 a.m. (8:15 a.m. MT), Englewood, Colo.

On a pristine Colorado morning, the Rocky Mountains glistening to the west, Fangio gathers about 125 players, coaches and staff on the field, socially distanced. Fangio tells them the game is off, when the game was likely to be played, how this ruins the bye week and now players would be off Sunday, Monday and Tuesday but have to test each day and be back for a game week Wednesday. He said baseball was getting through it while playing, and basketball and hockey too, and football would make it.

“In a weird way,” Fangio told the group, “I’m really happy it’s happening for our team. It identifies the whiners—who are the whiners. Who can’t handle adversity? Who gets hijacked by inconveniences? We don’t want those guys. We want people who deal with this without the whining, who take this inconvenience as an opportunity to get better.”

The place cleared out. Even the coach left to take a free day.

“I’ll be back Monday and Tuesday,” Fangio said.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

If they still play the games, then not in my mind. If some team is granted entry into the playoffs due to a forfeit scenario, then obviously depending on how deep they go in the playoffs, it could be seen as artificial in some sense. All of that in mind though, every team will need to endure injuries or illness in one form or another, so if a team escapes relatively whole - then that means they've been planning and preparing well and taking the precautions as dictated by the league and medical community. They deserve that credit as well. 

What about a team that gains entry due to chance that they only played 14 games and 2 of the games they missed were against other playoff teams. Or a team that loses entry because 2 games they miss playing are against bottom feeders? So one team avoids 2 likely losses and the other 2 likely wins.

Or what about teams that had to play their full schedule while some others don't? There is no way to build fairness into this short of adding playoff teams like the other sports did for this year.

I know they have added 1 playoff team already but that is a permanent change. Maybe add an 8th playoff team for each conference for this year only and restore 2 teams getting byes if the schedule gets truncated or uneven games are played.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

What about a team that gains entry due to chance that they only played 14 games and 2 of the games they missed were against other playoff teams. Or a team that loses entry because 2 games they miss playing are against bottom feeders? So one team avoids 2 likely losses and the other 2 likely wins.

Or what about teams that had to play their full schedule while some others don't? There is no way to build fairness into this short of adding playoff teams like the other sports did for this year.

If a team has to rely on beating the bottom feeders to get their win total up to the level they need to get into the playoffs, what are the chances they are actually competitive enough to win in the playoffs?  

Right now the AFC MIGHT have a few teams that will miss the playoffs, but would beat the NFC representatives.  That’s part of the deal though.  The Raiders/Chiefs, Colts/Titans, Bills/Pats, Steelers/Ravens/Browns all look like pretty legit teams.  Somebody is going to miss out; is there a chance of a good team not making it vs another good team getting in with less “credentials”? Yes, there always is.  With 14 teams going in, I don’t think the concern is all that real.  In the NFC, there’s really no reason to be concerned at all unless you are a 9ers fan and want to see them instead of anybody from the East and that’s a real possibility of a crap team knocking out a really good team that dealt with injuries. 

Last week on WGR-550, John Clayton was asked if he thought the NFL would get the entire season in or if it would implode on itself.

He was extremely confident the entire season will be played, mostly because there is a will to get it done, they are being very flexible in terms of how they get it done, and he suggested teams will go inside "bubbles" if necessary.  I.E., quarantine themselves 24 hours a day until the season is over.

He suggested that might give rise to more player opt-outs who do not want to live that way, but the season will go on.

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Not in the slightest.

Anyone have an asterisk next to the strike year?

35 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

A Patriots fan upset with the rules? I'm shocked!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

You know what...If Buffalo plays only the first Tuesday game in forever at 7 pm and then a Monday "afternoon" game at 5 pm and then some jack*** in the media afterwards says, "look, the Bills can't draw a "big" audience.", I am going to go to their house and start tapping them repeatedly on the head with a ball peen hammer because they are a moron, if I may paraphrase "Tommy Boy".

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

There is no asterisk next to the Redskins Super Bowl Championship from the strike season, so there will be no asterisk from this season either.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

If a team has to rely on beating the bottom feeders to get their win total up to the level they need to get into the playoffs, what are the chances they are actually competitive enough to win in the playoffs?  

Right now the AFC MIGHT have a few teams that will miss the playoffs, but would beat the NFC representatives.  That’s part of the deal though.  The Raiders/Chiefs, Colts/Titans, Bills/Pats, Steelers/Ravens/Browns all look like pretty legit teams.  Somebody is going to miss out; is there a chance of a good team not making it vs another good team getting in with less “credentials”? Yes, there always is.  With 14 teams going in, I don’t think the concern is all that real.  In the NFC, there’s really no reason to be concerned at all unless you are a 9ers fan and want to see them instead of anybody from the East and that’s a real possibility of a crap team knocking out a really good team that dealt with injuries. 

I mean I don't know...how is it wildcard teams win the Super Bowl then? You don't think some of those teams got in by beating bottom feeders? Or figured things out after starting the season poorly and got on a roll like the Titans did last year?  The chances are actually pretty high due to the much smaller sample size of games played.  NHL and NBA play 82 games, baseball 162, NFL 16.  Lot less room for error and a lot more sample size issues than the other leagues in terms of who does and doesn't make the playoffs, especially since teams don't play every other team like in the other leagues. Key injuries to players in the NFL that keep them out of 3 or 4 games hurt far more than other leagues.

Honestly the chances are actually pretty high.

Edited by matter2003

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

The season is questionable because Dak Prescott got injured. [edit: SARCASM]  I mean, c'mon, I'm very sorry that Prescott got injured, but illness and injury take players out for a game or more every single season.  It's not as though the League suddenly and unilaterally imposed a new rule prohibiting an asymptomatic player infected with a contagious disease from playing in the middle of the season.  Newton knew the score.  He may have done everything right, but then again maybe he wasn't taking every precaution he could have and was dining out inside restaurants etc

Call the Wa'ambulance for that Pats fan.  Right now, the NFL is giving every appearance of bending over backwards to accommodate the Pats and reschedule everyone else so that their guy can get back for their next game while screwing over a host of other teams with sudden loss of bye week, multiple schedule changes, having to game plan for 2 different teams in one week, etc.

I will be the first to admit that appearances may be deceiving and the NFL may be doing exactly the right thing from an infection control POV, but their lack of transparency is leaving their actions open to interpretation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The season is questionable because Dak Prescott got injured.  I mean, c'mon, I'm very sorry that Prescott got injured, but illness and injury take players out for a game or more every single season.  It's not as though the League suddenly and unilaterally imposed a new rule prohibiting an asymptomatic player infected with a contagious disease from playing in the middle of the season.  Newton knew the score.  He may have done everything right, but then again maybe he wasn't taking every precaution. 

Call the Wa'ambulance for that Pats fan.  Right now, the NFL is giving every appearance of bowing over backwards to accommodate the Pats and reschedule so that their guy can get back for their next game while screwing over a host of other teams with loss of bye week, multiple schedule changes, having to game plan for 2 different teams in one week, etc.

I will be the first to admit that appearances may be deceiving and the NFL may be doing the right thing from an infection control POV, but their lack of transparency is leaving this open to interpretation.

It's not like they were winning anything with Prescott anyways...how long has he been there now?  

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

same as any year, win the games you are dealt. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

This is why I hate may sports writers.. 

"Prominent NFL team official"

I'm not blaming the OP, but that is not a 'high level NFL executive'. That is someone who works for a team who may or may not be in football ops. The sourcing on this is terrible. It could be the head of marketing. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

You know what...If Buffalo plays only the first Tuesday game in forever at 7 pm and then a Monday "afternoon" game at 5 pm and then some jack*** in the media afterwards says, "look, the Bills can't draw a "big" audience.", I am going to go to their house and start tapping them repeatedly on the head with a ball peen hammer because they are a moron, if I may paraphrase "Tommy Boy".

Good paraphrase using the word "moron", as the word they used in the movie is slightly out of favor...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

same as any year, win the games you are dealt. 

What if you are dealt 2 easy games that get taken away from you while another team is dealt 2 hard games that get taken away from them?  

12 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

It's not like they were winning anything with Prescott anyways...how long has he been there now?  

I understand, but my point is: players including QBs get hurt or become ill and the team has to play without them every season, to their detriment.

It's just tremendous egocentricity of that Pats fan to believe that this season is different just because they lost their starting QB for a game, when the league in fact rescheduled and did everything possible to ensure it was only for one game while scattering other teams' games around like bowling pins. 

All for very sound infection control reasons I'm sure and nothing to do with preserving the Pats competitive advantage :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

Ask Tampa Bay Lightening what THEY think????

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Freddie's Dead said:

BTW, I believe it was a tack hammer, not a ball peen....

Darn it, you are right.  Good catch and thank you, brother.  However, I did say paraphrase and it doesn't have to just apply to the bad word!

:D    :thumbsup:

I do so love that movie...which is a quarter of a century old now...damn, again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This is why I hate may sports writers.. 

"Prominent NFL team official"

I'm not blaming the OP, but that is not a 'high level NFL executive'. That is someone who works for a team who may or may not be in football ops. The sourcing on this is terrible. It could be the head of marketing. 

It almost always leads to an anonymous source or person(s) speaking with anonymity. 
In today’s journalism you can just write your own opinion to gain clicks and put it on an anonymous source. Or leak it to Twitter or make a meme and it’s automatically taken as fact 

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Darn it, you are right.  Good catch and thank you, brother.  However, I did say paraphrase and it doesn't have to just apply to the bad word!

:D    :thumbsup:

I do so love that movie...which is a quarter of a century old now...damn, again.

My favorite line, which I use all the time, after Richard backs up and rips off the door:  "What dja do?"

"Not here, not here....but here".  "Housekeeping...."  I could go all day.

• Haha (+1) 1

I wonder if they can limp their way to week 10 whether teams would be more open to bubbling? I understand guys didn't want to be away from family for a full schedule but the last six weeks wouldn't be as bad. Plus the playoff teams would be so focused on their shot at a title that I'd imagine they'd be fine with a few extra weeks for however long they lasted in the playoffs

4 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

My favorite line, which I use all the time, after Richard backs up and rips off the door:  "What dja do?"

"Not here, not here....but here".  "Housekeeping...."  I could go all day.

Freddie, am I wrong...or does the movie actually get funnier the more times you watch it?  Even the small little scenes, even the cheap throw away comments between them?

I laugh so hard when they are fighting before he hits him with the wood.  I laugh hard when he references all they got is diesel, he cleans the paint and then we know what is coming next in the car door scene.  I lose it during the board room scene with the husband and wife...it's just...man...it's a movie a get a lot out of. 

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I have a friend who is a Pats fan and he was already mentioning how this season is questionable and he brought up the fact the Pats lost bc they had to play without Cam Newton. 

This friend is correct.  We might as well just award the Lombardi Trophy to the Patriots, as well as a couple of extra compensatory draft picks for their trouble.

🙄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2