Gabe Davis - 4th round steal?

FlaFitz1

Out of that list, I'm watching Duvernay and Claypool. Of course Jefferson out of the corner of the eye.     Oh yeah, Ruggs too, because I needed the sages to convince me that he was worth a high 1st round pick.  

Edited by GG

2 hours ago, jjmac said:

Man, no love for Mitchell Brookins or Marcus Easley?

😃 Marcus Easley still makes me sad. Great special teams player, hard worker, finally got his opportunity and made (if I remember correctly) one nice TD catch, then promptly tore up his knee. That goes in the category of coulda beens ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich

Where Gabe wins out over the others is his inclusion in the game plan and making him a key player

3 hours ago, skibum said:

The best part isn't his numbers, it's the quality of the catches he's making. The dude is showing some serious skill!

this

1 hour ago, GG said:

Out of that list, I'm watching Duvernay and Claypool. Of course Jefferson out of the corner of the eye.     Oh yeah, Ruggs too, because I needed the sages to convince me that he was worth a high 1st round pick.  

Duvernay just got a 97 yard KO return

There are two reasons he didn't much higher.  One - he went to a school that didn't have the kind of reputation of an Alabama or Clemson or even the Big 10.  Second - he was only asked to run a limited route tree.   Because of that there was some fear, I think that he wasn't asked to run a full route tree because he couldn't.  Buffalo scouts did their due diligence and found out he could do much more than he'd been asked to do.  He's smart, physically developed, has terrific hands, and enough speed.  And like just about everybody on the Bills he works as hard as he can at getting better.  He probably won't end up being the best receiver in this draft, but he'll be better than a bunch of guys taken ahead of him.

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He already made Duke expendable....if he keeps this up, he's gonna make one of the starters expendable...

Duke is a but distant memory. Continuing this level of play and the contracts will determine how this goes from here, but he’s a shocker for sure!  Smoke and Beasley are not spring chickens. It could be the perfect transition in time. 

6 hours ago, dneveu said:

Yeah - he's carved out a role in a position where the top 3 are well established ahead of him.  Same with Mckenzie.  

Mckenzie reminds me a lot of roscoe parrish as a gadget player - Beane did it right this time though.  Waiver claim and 1yr extension.  Not a 2nd round pick.  

But McKenzie is better then Parrish ever was. This guy actually makes plays. Parrish always just made you think he eventually would.

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

He absolutely has been a steal

I think it is the WAY he has produced that has been nice......he compliments our other WR's well....blocks.....

but the catches he has made have also been difficult....that toe tapper yesterday was a thing of beauty

Plus he gets to see, everyday, how a real pro shows up for work and he sees it from the slot, the X and the Y. Anything he produces is gravy this year. He stepped up when Smoke got dinged and that will only let the chemistry between him and Allen grow....

I wonder in a normal wr draft class, what his grade would have been, maybe a mid to late 2nd rounder? Does anyone have any comparisons to other draft years. @GunnerBill care to chime in???

Edited by qwksilver
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, qwksilver said:

Plus he gets to see, everyday, how a real pro shows up for work and he sees it from the slot, the X and the Y. Anything he produces is gravy this year. He stepped up when Smoke got dinged and that will only let the chemistry between him and Allen grow....

I wonder in a normal wr draft class, what his grade would have been, maybe a mid to late 2nd rounder? Does anyone have any comparisons to other draft years. @GunnerBill care to chime in???

I had a third on Gabe Davis. He was my joint wide receiver 13 with Chase Claypool I had the exact same grade on them and Denzel Mims just ahead of them. Claypool and Mims both went in the 2nd so it is not inconceivable to me that someone could have taken Davis earlier, especially if it had been in a "weaker" class. I felt those three and Tyler Johnson who went to the Buccs later (maybe even round 5?) all fitted into that category of bigger guys who were a bit raw but had real upside.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane is planning for the future.  Brown and Beasley are 30 and 31, so the hope is not only Davis, but Hodgins produce down the road. Davis is doing it already and thankfully they are different than Brown and Beasley in their size.

I loved Davis in college, but I understand if you don’t live in FL, you’d never see him.

• Like (+1) 1