Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
FlaFitz1

Gabe Davis - 4th round steal?

Recommended Posts

Davis was one of 2 receivers taken in the 4th round with the other being Antonio Gandy Golden.

 

There was a total of 15 receivers selected before him - 6 in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd round.

 

The results through 3 games:

Ruggs - 4 catches on 8 targets for 59 yards

Jeudy - 13 catches on 24 targets for 173 yards

Lamb - 16 catches of 21 targets for 230 yards

Reagor - 5 catches of 8 targets for 96 yards

Jefferson - 12 catches of 15 targets for 245 yards and 1 TD

Aiyuk - 7 catches on 11 targets for 91 yards

Higgins - 8 catches on 15 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs

Pittman Jr - 9 catches on 12 targets for 73 yards

Shenault Jr - 11 catches of 14 targets for 105 yards and 1 TD

Hamler - 6 catches on 12 targets for 78 yards 

Claypool - 6 catches on 9 targets for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jefferson - 5 catches on 9 targets for 76 yards

Mims - IR

Edwards - 5 catches on 6 targets for 99 yards

Duvernay - 2 catches of 2 targets for 31 yards  Note: only 2 games

Davis - 7 receptions on 7 targets for 103 yards and 1 TD

Gandy- Golden - 1 reception on 3 targets for 3 yards

 

 

Now I realize it's VERY early and 3 games doesn't not make a season nor a career.  However, in this small sample size Davis is at the top of the group in catch rate, trails only Claypool in yards per reception, and is 6th in yards per game.   I would love to see him be targeted more (especially after that toe-drag swag yesterday) and continue this.  I'm also very glad he ran a 4.54!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gabe's glowing TC reports, and his subsequent contributions in the first 3 games bodes well for his future...especially after Brown's contract is up after next year.

 

Here's hoping his play continues on an upward trend.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LabattBlue said:

Gabe's glowing TC reports, and his subsequent contributions in the first 3 games bodes well for his future...especially after Brown's contract is up after next year.

 

Here's hoping his play continues on an upward trend.

 

Yeah - he's carved out a role in a position where the top 3 are well established ahead of him.  Same with Mckenzie.  

 

Mckenzie reminds me a lot of roscoe parrish as a gadget player - Beane did it right this time though.  Waiver claim and 1yr extension.  Not a 2nd round pick.  

 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great pick so far.    We missed John Brown badly yesterday, he and Josh are elite when it comes to buying time and getting open.

 

Davis is in the perfect spot to learn and grow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Da webster guy said:

Great pick so far.    We missed John Brown badly yesterday, he and Josh are elite when it comes to buying time and getting open.

 

Davis is in the perfect spot to learn and grow

 

I feel like every 4th round pick WR just flames out - hell half the first round ones do.  I think bringing someone along in a position of strength instead of throwing them to the fire seems to work.  He may also just have the "IT" factor needed to be successful at this level.  Who knows?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The immediate production despite a crowded and talented WR room, coupled with all of the training camp hype definitely has me excited.

 

When you think about some of our WR bust picks (Hardy, Zay, Graham, etc.), Gabe has already outperformed all of them.

 

It’s a very exciting time to be a Bills fan.

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The immediate production despite a crowded and talented WR room, coupled with all of the training camp hype definitely has me excited.

 

When you think about some of our WR bust picks (Hardy, Zay, Graham, etc.), Gabe has already outperformed all of them.

 

It’s a very exciting time to be a Bills fan.

I was just thinking that he's looking like what we hoped Zay Jones would be -- not a speedburner, but tall, gets open, catches everything within his reach. We deserve to hit on one of these WRs!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

I feel like every 4th round pick WR just flames out - hell half the first round ones do.  I think bringing someone along in a position of strength instead of throwing them to the fire seems to work.  He may also just have the "IT" factor needed to be successful at this level.  Who knows?

If you go back 35 years, Andre Reed was a great pick in the 4th round.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today it was time for the "other receivers" to stand out. The Bills have so many weapons! And Daboll is creative

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The best part isn't his numbers, it's the quality of the catches he's making. The dude is showing some serious skill!

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, if we lose John "Smoke" Brown, I'll cry. I'm sure Josh will too.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Davis was one of 2 receivers taken in the 4th round with the other being Antonio Gandy Golden.

 

There was a total of 15 receivers selected before him - 6 in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd round.

 

The results through 3 games:

Ruggs - 4 catches on 8 targets for 59 yards

Jeudy - 13 catches on 24 targets for 173 yards

Lamb - 16 catches of 21 targets for 230 yards

Reagor - 5 catches of 8 targets for 96 yards

Jefferson - 12 catches of 15 targets for 245 yards and 1 TD

Aiyuk - 7 catches on 11 targets for 91 yards

Higgins - 8 catches on 15 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs

Pittman Jr - 9 catches on 12 targets for 73 yards

Shenault Jr - 11 catches of 14 targets for 105 yards and 1 TD

Hamler - 6 catches on 12 targets for 78 yards 

Claypool - 6 catches on 9 targets for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jefferson - 5 catches on 9 targets for 76 yards

Mims - IR

Edwards - 5 catches on 6 targets for 99 yards

Duvernay - 2 catches of 2 targets for 31 yards  Note: only 2 games

Davis - 7 receptions on 7 targets for 103 yards and 1 TD

Gandy- Golden - 1 reception on 3 targets for 3 yards

 

 

Now I realize it's VERY early and 3 games doesn't not make a season nor a career.  However, in this small sample size Davis is at the top of the group in catch rate, trails only Claypool in yards per reception, and is 6th in yards per game.   I would love to see him be targeted more (especially after that toe-drag swag yesterday) and continue this.  I'm also very glad he ran a 4.54!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

He absolutely has been a steal

 

I think it is the WAY he has produced that has been nice......he compliments our other WR's well....blocks.....

 

but the catches he has made have also been difficult....that toe tapper yesterday was a thing of beauty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Davis has exceeded early expectations for sure! What I am blown away by here is just how many of these young receivers are producing already. Wow! It's gotta be an all time record in rookie WR productivity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Davis has exceeded early expectations for sure! What I am blown away by here is just how many of these young receivers are producing already. Wow! It's gotta be an all time record in rookie WR productivity.

This was a strong WR draft...and we got another one that is on the PS who might pan out as well in Hodgins

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This was a strong WR draft...and we got another one that is on the PS who might pan out as well in Hodgins

And the good thing is, with all those other young WRs out there, no other team is likely to swoop in and grab Hodgins. 

 

Well, maybe Green Bay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlaFitz1 said:

Davis was one of 2 receivers taken in the 4th round with the other being Antonio Gandy Golden.

 

There was a total of 15 receivers selected before him - 6 in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd round.

 

The results through 3 games:

Ruggs - 4 catches on 8 targets for 59 yards

Jeudy - 13 catches on 24 targets for 173 yards

Lamb - 16 catches of 21 targets for 230 yards

Reagor - 5 catches of 8 targets for 96 yards

Jefferson - 12 catches of 15 targets for 245 yards and 1 TD

Aiyuk - 7 catches on 11 targets for 91 yards

Higgins - 8 catches on 15 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs

Pittman Jr - 9 catches on 12 targets for 73 yards

Shenault Jr - 11 catches of 14 targets for 105 yards and 1 TD

Hamler - 6 catches on 12 targets for 78 yards 

Claypool - 6 catches on 9 targets for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jefferson - 5 catches on 9 targets for 76 yards

Mims - IR

Edwards - 5 catches on 6 targets for 99 yards

Duvernay - 2 catches of 2 targets for 31 yards  Note: only 2 games

Davis - 7 receptions on 7 targets for 103 yards and 1 TD

Gandy- Golden - 1 reception on 3 targets for 3 yards

 

 

Now I realize it's VERY early and 3 games doesn't not make a season nor a career.  However, in this small sample size Davis is at the top of the group in catch rate, trails only Claypool in yards per reception, and is 6th in yards per game.   I would love to see him be targeted more (especially after that toe-drag swag yesterday) and continue this.  I'm also very glad he ran a 4.54!!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I believe in making your own luck, but think about the situation that Davis finds himself in. An explosive offense with a creative OC and a gunslinger QB who can make every throw and he has not yet experienced losing on this team.

 

We are developing a core of players that EXPECT to win, that has not been the case for a long time for this Bills franchise where we have suffered with many good players who  toiled away on teams that could not sniff a playoff.

 

Beane and McD are building something good here and this kid is in a great place to grow into a really good impact receiver in this league.

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rico said:

If you go back 35 years, Andre Reed was a great pick in the 4th round.


Man, no love for Mitchell Brookins or Marcus Easley?

Edited by jjmac

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...