Gabe Davis - 4th round steal?

FlaFitz1

Nice topic OP.

Look at our receiving corps.  John Brown 3rd round selection.  Stefon Diggs 5th round selection.  Cole Beasley undrafted.  Gabe Davis 4th rounder.

Not a bad collection of day two and beyond talent.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

So many times over the last 2 seasons we saw a throw like this from Allen (on a rope, slightly behind/high) either hit off the receivers hands or they had to give up any chance at YAC to catch it. Davis just casually spins around to keep his momentum, catches it cleans cleanly, and picks up 8 more yards after the catch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 9/28/2020 at 2:13 PM, Rigotz said:

The immediate production despite a crowded and talented WR room, coupled with all of the training camp hype definitely has me excited.

When you think about some of our WR bust picks (Hardy, Zay, Graham, etc.), Gabe has already outperformed all of them.

It’s a very exciting time to be a Bills fan.

Im borrowing this post because it was exactly what my thinking was and better written than I could have done in the process. Concur on every point.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:37 PM, GG said:

Out of that list, I'm watching Duvernay and Claypool. Of course Jefferson out of the corner of the eye.     Oh yeah, Ruggs too, because I needed the sages to convince me that he was worth a high 1st round pick.  

I wanted the Bills to draft Claypool in the worst way. The point became not so crucial after the Diggs deal and also drafting Davis. Job well done McBeane. I'll still root for Claypool hubby is an Irish alumn..He's a WR in a TE's body.. I dont think the Bills have any Domers on the roster. Hopefully someday they will. 

32 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

So many times over the last 2 seasons we saw a throw like this from Allen (on a rope, slightly behind/high) either hit off the receivers hands or they had to give up any chance at YAC to catch it. Davis just casually spins around to keep his momentum, catches it cleans cleanly, and picks up 8 more yards after the catch.

Yeah that was a great adjustment and he doesn't even let it slow him down too much.

On 9/28/2020 at 4:59 PM, FlaFitz1 said:

Davis was one of 2 receivers taken in the 4th round with the other being Antonio Gandy Golden.

There was a total of 15 receivers selected before him - 6 in the 1st round, 7 in the 2nd round and 2 in the 3rd round.

The results through 3 games:

Ruggs - 4 catches on 8 targets for 59 yards

Jeudy - 13 catches on 24 targets for 173 yards

Lamb - 16 catches of 21 targets for 230 yards

Reagor - 5 catches of 8 targets for 96 yards

Jefferson - 12 catches of 15 targets for 245 yards and 1 TD

Aiyuk - 7 catches on 11 targets for 91 yards

Higgins - 8 catches on 15 targets for 75 yards and 2 TDs

Pittman Jr - 9 catches on 12 targets for 73 yards

Shenault Jr - 11 catches of 14 targets for 105 yards and 1 TD

Hamler - 6 catches on 12 targets for 78 yards 

Claypool - 6 catches on 9 targets for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jefferson - 5 catches on 9 targets for 76 yards

Mims - IR

Edwards - 5 catches on 6 targets for 99 yards

Duvernay - 2 catches of 2 targets for 31 yards  Note: only 2 games

Davis - 7 receptions on 7 targets for 103 yards and 1 TD

Gandy- Golden - 1 reception on 3 targets for 3 yards

Now I realize it's VERY early and 3 games doesn't not make a season nor a career.  However, in this small sample size Davis is at the top of the group in catch rate, trails only Claypool in yards per reception, and is 6th in yards per game.   I would love to see him be targeted more (especially after that toe-drag swag yesterday) and continue this.  I'm also very glad he ran a 4.54!!!

I think he’s only going to have a larger role on the offense as the year continues.  Given the pending cap situation we could see possibly see Gabe replace John Brown or Cole Beasley in 2021