Jump to content
ColeB

Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

Recommended Posts

He's an average NFL punter.   The net yardage stat is a function of where he was punting from.   

 

Ranking third in number of punts inside the opponents' 20 tells you all you need to know about where many of his punts were coming from.   McD's strategy was to pin the other team deep in their end and use our defense to force three and outs, thereby winning the field position game...

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

 

This statement is contradictory.


It’s not, actually. A punter can kick it 75 yards with no hang time. It’s about getting both: distance and hang time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TroutDog said:


It’s not, actually. A punter can kick it 75 yards with no hang time. It’s about getting both: distance and hang time. 

 

I don't think Bojo is that bad. I think folks tend to focus on the bad kicks and forget the good ones. Like I said, I don't think we are punting that much this year.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there’s one word to describe why he’s still here. Potential. 
They have to feel close to unlocking his full potential or they would of worked harder to find a replacement. When he’s on that kid has all the tools to be a top punter in the league. Similar to what promo said above me as fans I think we lock onto the bad kicks a little more and ignore what good he does when he’s on. I don’t think he will have as long of a leash this year if he continues his ups and downs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.


was that last year? I thought that was the year before. He had a series of ridiculous mistakes two years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at league wide statistics can be misleading.  When you group guys punting outside with the dome punters and the guy punting in Denver, there is an advantage bias.  No doubt he has messed up some punts but so do some of the other guys out there.  I believe he is on a short leash and can be gone in the wink of an eye.  For right now it's his job to lose and I have no doubt that Beane will release him if his performance is not what they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColeB said:

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

 

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

They all can't be

 

Ray Guy

Career NFL statistics
Punts: 1,049
Punting yards: 44,493
Average punt: 42.4

 

or

 

Reggie Roby

Career NFL statistics
Punts: 992
Punting yards: 42,951
Punting Avg: 43.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

Looking at league wide statistics can be misleading.  When you group guys punting outside with the dome punters and the guy punting in Denver, there is an advantage bias.  No doubt he has messed up some punts but so do some of the other guys out there.  I believe he is on a short leash and can be gone in the wink of an eye.  For right now it's his job to lose and I have no doubt that Beane will release him if his performance is not what they want.

 

Exactly, the Bills played basically every game in 30+ mph winds the second half of the season last year. Not only do I strongly believe that had a huge impact on Allen's deep ball accuracy stats, but unquestionably has a huge impact on punting. The punters in the games against the Bills did worse than he did (he was consistently the better punter in most games unless I'm totally misremembering).

 

Wind doesn't impact just the ball flying through the air, but more importantly the drop of the ball from the hand to the foot...but don't take my word for it, here is apro bowl punter discussing it fairly in depth:

 

 

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has a big leg. This front office seems to value that above all else. His hang times are appalling and the amount of mistakes he makes is quite stunning.

He is a clear hole on the team (if we have one). I really hope that he doesn’t make one of those mistakes at the wrong time and cost the Bills a game. They really should have brought in better competition for him. My preference was Marquette King. I also hope with the new kicker they found a new holder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

 

It was a protection issue.  They moved guys around late before the snap and the blocking got fouled up. NE actually had 2 blocked punt TDs last year.  It's like the johnny hekker fake - you know its coming but somehow it still happens and works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No fanbase cares more about punters than Bills fans.  
 

remember when Moorman was the poster boy for our franchise? Good times. 

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

 

Exactly, the Bills played basically every game in 30+ mph winds the second half of the season last year. Not only do I strongly believe that had a huge impact on Allen's deep ball accuracy stats, but unquestionably has a huge impact on punting. The punters in the games against the Bills did worse than he did (he was consistently the better punter in most games unless I'm totally misremembering).

 

Wind doesn't impact just the ball flying through the air, but more importantly the drop of the ball from the hand to the foot...but don't take my word for it, here is apro bowl punter discussing it fairly in depth:

 

 

That was incredible informative. I love when players and coaches go into detail like that. Just shows how good and smart these guys really are

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I welcome a season where we are complaining about the punter being the weak link.

 

I remember too many seasons where Brian Moorman was the highlight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we'll be fine 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...and look the OP has disappeared from the thread..

Edited by jeremy2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...