Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

BobbyC81

I was shocked that they cut Edwards after such a short time in camp (former Jets punter was pretty good for them, many Jets fans not sure why they cut him.) I thought for sure Edwards would supplant Bojo as Edwards played in similar cold weather and wind conditions in NJ and produced average to above average results. Whereas I feel like Bojo has a shank here and there which is frustrating and can give away a lot of field position. But I guess Bojo must have been that dam good for them to cut Edwards or Edwards must have been that bad? Given how McBeane always puts attention to the little parts of the roster I think the Bills must like what they have with Bojo. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColeB said:

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

Who is averaging 50 yards per punt?  Cannon legged punters in domes, on teams who never get out of their own red zone, with a cloned crew of Usain Bolts for gunners?

Edited by 1ManRaid

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

No fanbase cares more about punters than Bills fans.  

remember when Moorman was the poster boy for our franchise? Good times. 

Yep.  When we get to critiquing the punter, it means everyone else is either very good or they suck.

In this case, everyone else is good.  In the Moorman years, eveyone else sucked...

So Boho was #31 in punt yards/avg in 2019. But he was also #3 in punts downed and punts inside the 20.

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. He has a big leg but his kicks are flat. It means it races through to their returner before our coverage team has time to close.

If that was the case the Bills would give up more return yards. Bills are 21st in punt return yardage. (157yds) So maybe it's not that big an issue?

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-stats/punting?sort=puntnet

Edited by PromoTheRobot

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nope. He has a big leg but his kicks are flat. It means it races through to their returner before our coverage team has time to close.

Some more stats. Only 18 returns in 79 punts. Only 22.8%! Best in the league among punters with more than 40 kicks. 8.72 yds/return. Sorry, Gunner. If his punts were as bad as you say, these numbers would be much worse. He can't possibly be out-kicking his coverage.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

If we're evaluating Bojorquez from the "kicking" aspect only, I'd say he's probably around ~20th best punter in the league. Yardage isn't great, but placement inside the 20 is pretty good (I will note that a punt from midfield that goes out at the 19 technically counts as a punt inside the 20, but it's still a poor punt). 

Overall evaluation we need to consider the blocked punts, fumbles, or how about that time he was the holder on a FG attempt, and he was the only player on the field that thought the play was a fake? One of the stupidest plays I've ever seen in the NFL. 

All told he's definitely a bottom tier punter, and it's pretty disappointing we couldn't find anyone better. 

8 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

Blocked punts are rarely the fault of the punter, unless they drop/bobble the snap.  That was a coverage breakdown.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So Boho was #31 in punt yards/avg in 2019. But he was also #3 in punts downed and punts inside the 20.

If that was the case the Bills would give up more return yards. Bills are 21st in punt return yardage. (157yds) So maybe it's not that big an issue?

That is still comfortably bottom half of the league and we had good coverage players.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Some more stats. Only 18 returns in 79 punts. Only 22.8%! Best in the league among punters with more than 40 kicks. 8.72 yds/return. Sorry, Gunner. If his punts were as bad as you say, these numbers would be much worse. He can't possibly be out-kicking his coverage.

Well he does. 

43 minutes ago, eball said:

Blocked punts are rarely the fault of the punter, unless they drop/bobble the snap.  That was a coverage breakdown.

Changing the blocking is normally the responsibility of the punter. He wasn't the only one at fault on that play though.