Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

BobbyC81

10 hours ago, ColeB said:

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

He also punted more than any other punter from within the opponent 45 yard line. Context actually matters when looking at stats. Lack of a kicking threat from over 50 yards last year caused a lot of punts that might have been field goal attempts this year

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is still comfortably bottom half of the league and we had good coverage players.

Well he does. 

Wait. First you said he out-kicks his punt coverage. Now you say he would if his punt coverage team wasn't so good? Lol.

Nope. Numbers say he doesn't. And punting yards are a meaningless stat. He can't over-kick his coverage as you insist and only have 23% of his kicks returned. That is the best return-per-punt ratio in the NFL.

Besides, how would you even know what his punts look like unless you are in the stadium? Watching on TV? Uhhh, no.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

Moon, he didn’t hold onto too long, we had a ST coach who doesn’t realize to coach his gunners to move in when they load 9 or 10 in the box as they are unattended.  The Jets did it with 9 and we were lucky, the Giants did it with 10 and we were lucky.  Week 3 we had a muffed snap by Ferguson who is solid overall, and between not covering 1 or 2 and a muffed snap equates to a loss to the Pats.  Freakin BB figured it out watching tape the first two weeks.  To McD’s credit, the ST coach didn’t make the dumb ars mistake again the rest of the year.

This is not me defending Bojorquez, as he wasn’t very good, but one blown punt was not on him.  That one wasn’t his fault.  If you want to accurately state and I’m sure you would his punt avg., ability to directional punt, punt within the 10 yard line, all makes sense.

That is equivalent to stating it was the ST’s fault because dumb ars McKelvin blows a Bills lead trying to play hero vs. just fall on the ball after you catch it and we run out the clock and beat the freakin Pats.  I hate McKelvin for that one.  I didn’t get over it for awhile.  It was so stupid, hubris, and could have been avoided.

3 hours ago, Tjm3 said:

Tied for most touchbacks and 2nd worst in net yards. 

He punted 17 times from inside the opponents 50.  I'll bet not many punters had that many chances from across mid-field...

Edit:  he put 9 punts inside the opponents ten.    Also, 26 fair catches.

Edited by Lurker

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

He punted 17 times from inside the opponents 50.  I'll bet not many punters had that many chances from across mid-field...

Edit:  he put 9 punts inside the opponents ten.

Punted 17 times from the opponent side of the 50?  That makes me cringe.

That's just so messed up.

10 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has a big leg. This front office seems to value that above all else. His hang times are appalling and the amount of mistakes he makes is quite stunning.

That's always been my view too.  Maybe Farwell thinks he can fix the problems. 

8 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That was incredible informative. I love when players and coaches go into detail like that. Just shows how good and smart these guys really are

Heard a discussion with Moorman a few years ago and he described kicking at different times of year, wind, etc. 

He was a weapon not just because of his kicking but because he used to be a hurdler.

Bills need to get a kicker who can do both on PS for emergencies and development and need an assist ST coach whose job is the kickers.

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Yep.  When we get to critiquing the punter, it means everyone else is either very good or they suck.

In this case, everyone else is good.  In the Moorman years, eveyone else sucked...

Moorman at his peak was that good.

47 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I am saying your wrong but that seems impossible. That would be one per game which is a trend we should have noticed earlier.

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I am saying your wrong but that seems impossible. That would be one per game which is a trend we should have noticed earlier.

I charted every punt in the table above.  Look for youself.

Week 1:    NYJ 40 yard line

NYJ 35 yard line

Week 2:    NYG 40 yard line

Week 3:    CIN 40 yard line

Week 4:    NWE 42 yard line

NWE 42 yard line

NWE 42 yard line

Week 5:    TEN 43 yard line

Week 8:     PHI 45 yard line

Week 11:   MIA 44 yard line

Week 12:   DEN 48 yard line

DEN  41 yard line

DEN 41 yard line

Week 13:   DAL 45 yard line

Week 14:   BAL 41 yard line

Week 16:   NWE 47 yard line

Week 17:   NYJ 47 yard line

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I would. Fans are stupid about punting on the other side of the 50. It happens. It is what it is.

49 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I charted every punt in the table above.  Look for youself.

Week 1:    NYJ 40 yard line

NYJ 35 yard line

Week 2:    NYG 40 yard line

Week 3:    CIN 40 yard line

Week 4:    NWE 42 yard line

NWE 42 yard line

NWE 42 yard line

Week 5:    TEN 43 yard line

Week 8:     PHI 45 yard line

Week 11:   MIA 44 yard line

Week 12:   DEN 48 yard line

DEN  41 yard line

DEN 41 yard line

Week 13:   DAL 45 yard line

Week 14:   BAL 41 yard line

Week 16:   NWE 47 yard line

Week 17:   NYJ 47 yard line

This is good work and is hard to believe we were that timid. I felt like we were aggressive much more than we were.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

This is good work and is hard to believe we were that timid. I felt like we were aggressive much more than we were.

Given our defense -- and the intent they would force a 3-and-out deep in the opponents' zone -- McD was simply playing the odds.  A lot of defensive-minded HCs think that way.   

Sean seemed to get more aggressive later in the year, which bodes well for this year...