Why are the Bills sticking with such a poor punter?

BobbyC81

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

2 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Bojorquez was at the bottom of the league last year in punt average.  He was decent in 2018 with about a 45 yard average but still in the bottom half.

If they’re serious about having good special teams, why do they stick with this guy? With his 40 yard average last season, he’s losing  5 to 10 yards of field position vs other punters.  I know they emphasize positional punting and dropping the ball inside the 20 but how many times have we seen a shank from our end when a booming kick was needed?

Who is available that is any better ?

• Like (+1) 2

They do it just to rile up the fans... 😁

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, ColeB said:

Part of his average could be what the coach is asking of him. Half his punts go inside the opponents 20, he's near the top of the NFL in that stat. He also forces a lot of fair catches, also near the top of the league. He does have the occasional shank, which is why they brought in competition. They like his potential.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3

BN on Bojorquez.

Maybe not as bad as we think or maybe there is not a comprehensive measure of how well punters perform although there have been recent attempts that are attempting to do that.  The first search beat the paywall although now it won't.  Mark Gaughn article from February that made a case that he was effective by maxing fair catches and limiting returns.

Edited by JESSEFEFFER
  • Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has a big leg. This front office seems to value that above all else. His hang times are appalling and the amount of mistakes he makes is quite stunning.

to be fair to Bojo, I was pleasantly surprised that last year he avoided a lot of critical mistakes (like not catching snapa). Was his punting good? No. But at least he didn’t lose us any games with boneheaded plays and 19-yard shanks (yeah, the bar is that low).

Bojo seems like Rasputin— he’s a survivor! 

15 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

to be fair to Bojo, I was pleasantly surprised that last year he avoided a lot of critical mistakes (like not catching snapa). Was his punting good? No. But at least he didn’t lose us any games with boneheaded plays and 19-yard shanks (yeah, the bar is that low).

Bojo seems like Rasputin— he’s a survivor! 

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

Cant compare punting stats across teams. Half of Bojo's games are in the Buffalo wind. In contrast, several of the punters being compared to play in a domed stadium. And the blocked punt is not on Bojo but rather on NE recognizing an opportunity against a rookie ST coach (who is great BTW).

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMO he really isn’t that bad. Could he be a bit more consistent, sure no argument there. The FO is doing a masterful job of setting this roster up for at least a ten year run at greatness which hopefully will start this season if the pandemic doesn’t spoil everything. This year they hopefully solved the place kicking part of that puzzle. They challenged Bojo with some competition during camp and he survived that challenge. I think they feel there is still untapped potential there in his strong leg. If that doesn’t materialize I’m confident they will address this position next offseason if not during this season. Tough to make a big upgrade here without signing a veteran FA which don’t come along too often or get lucky drafting a big leg out of college.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Because we're never punting.

47 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has a big leg. This front office seems to value that above all else. His hang times are appalling and the amount of mistakes he makes is quite stunning.

This statement is contradictory.

39 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He had a punt blocked v. New England that was huge.  Not sure if he's slow getting the ball off or if that's on protection but IIRC they've gotten him two years in a row.

i believe that was more on a formation gaffe than Bojo...

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/film-doesnt-lie-bills-showed-punt-block-confusion-earlier-season-patriots-capitalized

i'm not disputing your statement entirely but in this scenario that dude was uncontested, not many punters would have gotten it off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's an average NFL punter.   The net yardage stat is a function of where he was punting from.   

Ranking third in number of punts inside the opponents' 20 tells you all you need to know about where many of his punts were coming from.   McD's strategy was to pin the other team deep in their end and use our defense to force three and outs, thereby winning the field position game...

• Like (+1) 2