Longtime Reds announcer Thom Brennaman... not for much longer

YoloinOhio

56 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How the hell are you in this business for decades and just do something like that? When would that ever be ok?

Also,  **** Him for dragging his "faith" into his apology.

But it's not who he is...it's just how he talks when he thinks the audience can't hear him, definitely not how he actually thinks.?

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

How the hell are you in this business for decades and just do something like that? When would that ever be ok?

They are always men of “faith.”  I think Jesus would be horrified about some of his most devout followers.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

There but for the grace of G we all have been. Totally wrong, unacceptable any time.

Done in open mic by a pro...wow

But tell me, who at a tailgate party has never used a slur in the past, who did not refer to the Dolphins as Dolf??s, even on this web site.

What did you call Bryan Cox..certainly not sir!

He is done, shame because he may be a good person..who knows, but in a strange sense we all are learning to look in the mirror.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

does anyone believe his apology to be heartfelt? 

Sure.  I"d be pretty damn heartfelt too if I had just *****-canned my entire career over a stupid and unnecessary remark.

Too bad, I always thought he was a solid announcer.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Niagara Bill said:

There but for the grace of G we all have been. Totally wrong, unacceptable any time.

Done in open mic by a pro...wow

But tell me, who at a tailgate party has never used a slur in the past, who did not refer to the Dolphins as Dolf??s, even on this web site.

What did you call Bryan Cox..certainly not sir!

He is done, shame because he may be a good person..who knows, but in a strange sense we all are learning to look in the mirror.

I imagine most of us of a certain age have used ever slur in the book at one point.  Not really done out of malice for most IMO, it just wasn't seen the same the way 30-40 years ago like it is now.  Calling someone a '*****' was a garden variety insult when we were kids.  I think we used that one before we even really knew what it meant.

But it is different now and the culture has changed dramatically, so hard to imagine people still using words like that, and at work no less!  I'm sure if you work at the plant or the factory, there is still plenty of inappropriate language used, but a broadcaster?  Yikes.

• Like (+1) 2

While I was hosting trivia last night, my friends over at the table near me began waving me over to show me Twitter on what happened, like 20 seconds after it did. Pretty crazy. 

I don't know Thom well, but I've been around him enough to know this isn't all "that" shocking. I'm not saying he's a hard-core homophobe, but the crowd he hangs with.....hmmmm. 

There is a pretty conservative upper-class part of town here were they all reside. I had the "pleasure" of bartending at a place for 10 months where they went.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I imagine most of us of a certain age have used ever slur in the book at one point.  Not really done out of malice for most IMO, it just wasn't seen the same the way 30-40 years ago like it is now.  Calling someone a '*****' was a garden variety insult when we were kids.  I think we used that one before we even really knew what it meant.

But it is different now and the culture has changed dramatically, so hard to imagine people still using words like that, and at work no less!  I'm sure if you work at the plant or the factory, there is still plenty of inappropriate language used, but a broadcaster?  Yikes.

Yup. I'm for sure guilty of it as a kid, though times have changed.

I would completely expect this to be the kind of thing someone would get caught saying when they didn't know they were being recorded in a private conversation and for it to be a scandal that may get someone fired if they're a public personality or perhaps blown off with an apology.

However, this dude said it into the microphone, at his job, in the most unenthusiastic and mundane manner possible that it's just mind blowing to consider why he did it. It's all just so bizarre.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

It still is to some people 

I don't think there's no difference between using a slur 30 years ago and using it today. A slur is a slur

Whether you say it seriously,  mockingly or with friends

Once, just once I want someone to say "I'm sorry I got caught."  Then and only then would I believe a single thing they say.  As we all know, if he was truly sorry and this "wasn't who he really was" then he wouldn't have said it in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BullBuchanan said:

I had a similar reaction to the "Faith" comment.

F-him and his f-ing faith!

18 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

What city was he calling the !@# capital of the world?  Uhhhh...asking for a friend. 

I was thinking the same thing.

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

The drama in his words was not him being heartfelt.

It as him becoming nauseas at the realization that his career is over, and it was all due to such a stupid comment that he had total control over.

The realization of it all being over had the guy pretty rattled in his apology.

F- him

5 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

But he quoted scripture!!!!

Prayer.  The last refuge of a scoundrel.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Johnnycage46 said:

What city was he calling the !@# capital of the world?  Uhhhh...asking for a friend. 

Gotta be San Fran right?....Rehoboth Beach doesn't have a baseball team.

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I don't believe 99% of the apologies are heartfelt. For the most part I think the apologies are because it's what they think people want to hear, instead of being sincere.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would he?

Don't most of those faiths have issues with homosexuality and believe it to be a sin?

Pretty sure the Catholics are juuuuuuust fine with homosexuality (and pedophilia).  As long as they ask for forgiveness, it's all good.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Pretty sure the Catholics are juuuuuuust fine with homosexuality (and pedophilia).  As long as they ask for forgiveness, it's all good.

No one who stayed in school past fourth grade or has an IQ over 60 has an honest religious objection to homosexuality.  That is one of the biggest lines of b.s. out there.

On 8/20/2020 at 10:05 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

They are always men of “faith.”  I think Jesus would be horrified about some of his most devout followers.  

15 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Would he?

Don't most of those faiths have issues with homosexuality and believe it to be a sin?

IMO a great many so-called "Christians" have a number of beliefs and behaviors that don't reflect the life of Jesus whatsoever. These include bigotry, worshiping money over people, etc. They are fake Christians, in my  mind.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:37 PM, The Jerk said:

Where do I remember this name? Oh, yea, Thom made a far more ridiculous statement years ago.

"If you're fortunate enough to spend five minutes or 20 minutes around Tim Tebow, your life is better for it."

Oh Jesus Christ.  This guy must be some sort of Bible pounding Christian.