RD 2, Pick 54: DE AJ Epenesa, University of Iowa

SDS

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I can't help it be underwhelmed. This guy is not going to be the sack master and pressure the quarterback guy we need. Seems like he's Shaq Lawson 2.0.  

Clear cut double-digit sack guys generally aren’t available at #54.

If he turns out to be Shaq Lawson without the four year development plan, I’ll be pretty happy.

• Like (+1) 9

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

At 54, AJ Espensa is a steal.  Does that guarantee he will be a stud?  No, but value wise, this was a great pick at 54 as most mocks had him going in round 1, and almost all mocks that didn't have us taking a WR at 22 had us taking AJ.  

Love this pick.  He's a beast.

Now go get AJ Dillon in the 3rd and I will be on cloud 9 until tomorrow.  

I assume you watched him- what I read reminds of what I read about Lawson when he came out- is that a good comparison But without the injury?

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

We went from Jordan Phillips, Shaq Lawson and filler guys, replaced with Vernon Butler, Mario Addison, Quinton Jefferson and AJ Epenesa.... oh, and Harry will be back.  

This DL may not have an elite guy yet, but they are loaded. 

I think Ed Oliver will be that elite guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

It’s shocking that people aren’t absolutely thrilled with this pick.

First round caliber talent who had tons of production in college and fills a position of need.

My guess is they wanted a “sexy” pick like WR or RB, which can easily be found in the third or fourth.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Love it late in the 2nd.  Most pundits had him going somewhere in the 1st.  Nothing to complain about with this, it just fits and is weird because before McBeane we were conditioned to complain about everything in the draft

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Oh no? Is that why the Ravens drafted Dobbins a pick after us? ?

Go be a Ravens fans then... You obviously don't fit in here. Bills took Singletary... Did the Ravens do the same last year?

Don't say dumb things it makes you look bad.

Edited by Hardhatharry
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

High floor, not a real high ceiling.  He's thought of as strong, but interestingly at the combine, his bench press was tied for the worst in the group.  Most already know his 40 time and 10 yard split were pretty poor.  I think he has some ability to get stronger and to become more explosive with strength and conditioning work.  He'll be a solid player, but I don't expect him to0 become any kind of a star.  We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I assume you watched him- what I read reminds of what I read about Lawson when he came out- is that a good comparison But without the injury?

Read my other posts about what all the top OL guys in this draft said about him a few pages back.  

• Like (+1) 1