Josh Allen’s JUCO Highlight Reel

This is a fun watch. Josh connects on a number of deep balls, throwing dimes over and over. He takes off running for big yardage on many plays. He dives for the pylon for TDs. Oh, and (spoiler alert) he foreshadows his wow play in Minnesota by hurdling a defensive player for a first down.

Edited by ChevyVanMiller
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

17 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

This is a fun watch. Josh connects on a number of deep balls, throwing dimes over and over. He takes off running for big yardage on many plays. He dives for the pylon for TDs. Oh, and (spoiler alert) he foreshadows his wow play in Minnesota by hurdling a defensive player for a first down.

He said in an interview not long after leaping Barr that he has done it at every level. Does it to show the team he’ll do whatever he has to to win(or something along those lines). Said he only does it once tho. Can’t risk injury

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He said in an interview not long after leaping Barr that he has done it at every level. Does it to show the team he’ll do whatever he has to to win(or something along those lines). Said he only does it once tho. Can’t risk injury

He hurdled a few people at Wyoming but it's a little too risky in the NFL

He had to get the team behind him after that tweeting incident and that's a great way to show your moxie

(Some of these highlights look like Reedley Junior college)

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

Hard to understand why that kind of throwing ability didn't get recruited.   My goodness, he threw then like he throws now.  

46 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I watched the highlights a Little closer it's reedley Junior College

Ah!!  That explains it.   

I though he looked awfully big, as big as he is now.   The story was that he was smaller coming out of high school, and that might have had some bearing on whey he wasn't recruited.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Hard to understand why that kind of throwing ability didn't get recruited.   My goodness, he threw then like he throws now.  

Ah!!  That explains it.   

I though he looked awfully big, as big as he is now.   The story was that he was smaller coming out of high school, and that might have had some bearing on whey he wasn't recruited.  

Yes 6'1 190 Pounds as a senior.

Left Reedley 6'5 235... Something in the water.. 

And yes his arm was phenomenal even at Reedley. I can't believe more teams didn't run down his doors

• Like (+1) 2

This is NOT his high school football!!!!!

This is Reedley Junior College. Orange and Black, Reedley Tigers. First few games are against Fresno City Junior College, that’s where I played in the late 90s. Josh and I are from the same area.

Hes from Firebaugh High School. Firebaugh Eagles, Red and Blue are his school colors......

This is his Freshman year in college.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

This is NOT his high school football!!!!!

This is Reedley Junior College. Orange and Black, Reedley Tigers. First few games are against Fresno City Junior College, that’s where I played in the late 90s. Josh and I are from the same area.

Hes from Firebaugh High School. Firebaugh Eagles, Red and Blue are his school colors......

This is his Freshman year in college.

I already have said the same

• Like (+1) 1

Incredible he didn't get more offers. Guess he showed them. Top 10 draft pick and led his team to the playoffs at the highest level of the sport.

30 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

And yes his arm was phenomenal even at Reedley. I can't believe more teams didn't run down his doors

Wow. Late bloomer. I maxed out in height at 6'3" as a Sophmore in high school. I grew about a foot in one year and was afraid I was turning into a sasquatch.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's crazy , he still had a great arm in HS. Stupid how not 1 D1 school offered him and he had to go JuCo

The talent was there

Isn't that just indicative of the EXTREMELY unique path Josh Allen had to take, though?

I've said it and said it and said it:

I absolutely didn't want to pick Josh Allen in 2018 and nearly broke my phone when I threw it against the wall after we picked him.

But then I spent a day or 2 just watching and researching as much as I possibly could about him. His upbringing. His farmboy work ethic. Being a multi sport athlete and not taking part in the typical 7 on 7 camps most modern Franchise QBs in the NFL have participated in. The 1000 emails he sent with all his rejections.

He was overlooked not for lack of extreme talent, but solely because of an EXTREMELY unique situation.

That was what ultimately got me on board with the pick. That's why I am such a Josh Allen homer now.

• Like (+1) 5

The lack of exposure to elite QB camps and specialized coaching in middle and high school is evident. But man, what a cannon for a right arm. That rare arm talent did more to allow bad mechanics to take hold more than anything else, though. He could just plain get away with stuff others couldn’t because his arm could compensate so well. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

https://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

I do agree with his physical skills, it is crazy more schools didn’t take a chance.  But he was a 49% passer which is kinda crazy.  What level of Juco is RC because not all Juco’s are the same. 

11 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

He hurdled a few people at Wyoming but it's a little too risky in the NFL

He had to get the team behind him after that tweeting incident and that's a great way to show your moxie

Thanks for the catch. The video is obviously mislabeled.  They must have been thrown by the fact that the Juco team played on a high school field. 

I amended the thread title.

You can tell he's pretty raw in the video. He makes a ton of throws off his back foot (and this is his highlight reel!) and consistently throws behind receivers on any type of crossing route. We still see those tendencies today from Josh. At that level, his arm strength made up for a lot of mistakes. The fact that his receivers were slower than they are today made his poor throws catchable in JUCO. A quicker route runner and those throws are 5 feet behind them. He did throw some beautiful long balls and drop-in-the-bucket sideline throws in that compilation.  

BTW, can we get some of those receivers on the Bills? There were some pretty good over-the-shoulder catches and adjusted catches that I haven't seen Bills' receivers make for a while. Of course, it helps that they were often "junior-college open". ?

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

https://www.cccaasports.org/sports/fball/2014-15/players/joshuaallen0oal

I do agree with his physical skills, it is crazy more schools didn’t take a chance.  But he was a 49% passer which is kinda crazy.  What level of Juco is RC because not all Juco’s are the same. 

He also had like 27 passing touchdowns to five picks. Also 10 rushing TDs

Reedley plays in the California community College athletic association, in the Central valley conference

14 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Apparently he was overall just a late bloomer physically...I read somewhere that he didn't have to shave until his last year at Wyoming and the team gave him ***** about it.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, hazer said:

impressive highlights for juco...I'm a big Josh Allen fan...but it appears he threw a better deep ball in juco than he does now!

It’s funny, that was thinking the same. He has a lot of touch on those passes. I hope he manages to find that this year. 

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Shows me he can make the throws if he feels he's got time. Gotta find that zone again.

Really nice arc on a lot of those throws. 
With Diggs to loosen things up, he should be hitting more deep passes if he finds that touch.

Well, if things had gone differently he might not have become our QB, 

life is like a box of chocolates ya never know what you’re goons get...

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

It’s amazing how inaccurate he was back then too. He consistently over/under threw his receivers. He obviously couldn’t throw the deep ball. His over-the-middle throws were mostly dropped by his receivers who obviously weren’t on the same page with him. His “scrambling” was done on a hair trigger assessment that he didn’t understand how to climb in the pocket. #MANYSHITHEADPOSTERSHEREWHODONTKNOWWHATWEVEGOTINTHISGUY. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think they are all from Junior college. Apparently Reedley junior college plays it's games at RHS. Which I would assume is Reedley High School.

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Nitrates from all the dairy farms.

20 hours ago, Nanker said:

It’s amazing how inaccurate he was back then too. He consistently over/under threw his receivers. He obviously couldn’t throw the deep ball. His over-the-middle throws were mostly dropped by his receivers who obviously weren’t on the same page with him. His “scrambling” was done on a hair trigger assessment that he didn’t understand how to climb in the pocket. #MANYSHITHEADPOSTERSHEREWHODONTKNOWWHATWEVEGOTINTHISGUY. 

It *is* a highlight reel, not a representative sampling

17 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

LOL, those JUCO WRs snagged Allen's throws a lot better than K. Benjamin and Zay Jones did.

Well to be fair, those JUCO WR weren't being covered by the same level of DBs, but still.....