OT - Have it on decent authority that NYS will be making an announcement today that all NYS schools will be closing...

Big Turk

A coworker with a friend in the NYS government at some level sent him a text tipping him off that all NYS schools will be shut down through the end of the original spring break and will be announced after school today...decision was made last night during meetings but not released to the public.

Also, FWIW seems to be confirmed after I told a social worker friend about what I heard, they texted me back that they were told by Buffalo Public School officials to take all their files home due to likely not be able to have access for a while...

I guess this would be an "unconfirmed source"? ?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I am a public school teacher in Florida. We are on spring break as of today, and there has not been an announcement yet, but the feeling in the building yesterday was we won’t be back for a while. The district had developed and prepared us to teach virtually. 

Surprised the 3 states with the most confirmed cases in the US --- California, New York and Washington(state) have not closed down yet...they should have been the first, not Ohio, Michigan and Maryland...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, FluffHead said:

I am a public school teacher in Florida. We are on spring break as of today, and there has not been an announcement yet, but the feeling in the building yesterday was we won’t be back for a while. The district had developed and prepared us to teach virtually. 

So the assumption is each family has a computer for each child and enough bandwidth to support.  Seems like a bad plan.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So the assumption is each family has a computer for each child and enough bandwidth to support.  Seems like a bad plan.

I don't know about there, but here all kids in middle school and high school have Chrome Books that they take home with them to do work on...

Elementary school kids have iPads that remain at school but I am assuming they will be told to take them home to do work on also?

The WIFI issue is a good point but people could use their cell phones to create a WIFI hotspot if need be in many cases I guess...then again, how many people have no WIFI in the house these days?

Edited by matter2003

6 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Actually they are considering that not all homes have WiFi. The devices aren’t as much of an issue because many schools can send those home with kids if needed. Also the libraries are all closed here for 3 weeks too 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, zevo said:

Man....if they closed daycares as well there would be no parents available to go to work. I know my wife and I would be screwed 

Obviously depends on what exactly you do for work, but in my case and many of my other friends cases, we've been instructed to work from home until further notice.

7 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Obviously depends on what exactly you do for work, but in my case and many of my other friends cases, we've been instructed to work from home until further notice.

I'm a software engineer but have not been instructed to as of yet, but easily could...

22 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I don't know about there, but here all kids in middle school and high school have Chrome Books that they take home with them to do work on...

Elementary school kids have iPads that remain at school but I am assuming they will be told to take them home to do work on also?

The WIFI issue is a good point but people could use their cell phones to create a WIFI hotspot if need be in many cases I guess...then again, how many people have no WIFI in the house these days?

Most do, but certain areas of the country, especially rural areas, still have little to no service.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Same here. I'll be working exclusively from home starting Monday. Who knows how long that will go on for.

19 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Cuomo just said each local school board can close at their own choice.  There will be no state mandate...local decision.  Seems right choice to me.

Yup;  schools are run and controlled locally.  But there will be a cascading effect as more and more districts choose the 'safe' option.

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

I'm a software engineer but have not been instructed to as of yet, but easily could...

It's funny how just a week ago we felt like we were so ahead of the curve by shutting down our office (half software devs).  Now I hear SF is a ghost town.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Same here. I'll be working exclusively from home starting Monday. Who knows how long that will go on for.

Same, but started yesterday. I'm working today from the comfort of my bed.

Edited by MJS

Just now, KD in CA said:

Yup;  schools are run and controlled locally.  But there will be a cascading effect as more and more districts choose the 'safe' option.

It's funny how just a week ago we felt like we were so ahead of the curve by shutting down our office (half software devs).  Now I hear SF is a ghost town.

Essentially it becomes a situation where either you choose the "safe" option or you face an unbelievable backlash of public opinion against you that "you don't care"...and there is no winning through logic or any other thought process...you follow suit or you are branded as the person who "doesn't care about our kids"

• Like (+1) 1

Not a surprise to me guys, here in France all the school are close for at least 15 days, and the situation is getting worse.

Almost 3000 peoples caught it here and more than 60 died of it, and some young peoples start to be in a bad shape...I won’t lie it looks serious.

So stay safe guys.

25 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Both of us are community pharmacists. We are screwed if daycare shuts down 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Essentially it becomes a situation where either you choose the "safe" option or you face an unbelievable backlash of public opinion against you that "you don't care"...and there is no winning through logic or any other thought process...you follow suit or you are branded as the person who "doesn't care about our kids"

over the short haul it’s best to be extremely cautious, no matter your views, if nothing happens the return to normal will resume anyway

10 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Schools are in a lose lose situation.

If they close they will be branded as over reactors and playing in to the fear by many

If they stay open "They don't care about the safety of the kids"

A place i used to live just confirmed its first case in the county.... an uber driver..... Schools there are shutting down for weeks.

At a production facility in Buffalo.  People are just now asking to be let out without attendance consequences.  If this were July and sunny & 90 outside, there would be no one here.  Is it true Cuomo is looking for people staying home to be paid?  That will really clear us out

30 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

My wife’s bank has everyone working from home. A buddy runs a retail bank with tellers, etc and he’s worried about when they want to be home....but they are needed to keep the bank open. Retail banks UST stay open. 

Edited by Augie

42 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The only one making assumptions is yourself

8 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Here in Ontario our spring break is next week. They have shut down schools for 2 weeks following the break.

With all the strikes and threats and protests it will not be noticed.....

Shut down here.  Wife at library followed school district... Shut it down, disinfection on Sunday.

39 minutes ago, MarkyMannn said:

At a production facility in Buffalo.  People are just now asking to be let out without attendance consequences.  If this were July and sunny & 90 outside, there would be no one here.  Is it true Cuomo is looking for people staying home to be paid?  That will really clear us out

AND WE wonder why The Market crashed 10% yesterday. Coronavirus is a financial crisis.  It affects production.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Shut down here.  Wife at library followed school district... Shut it down, disinfection on Sunday.

AND WE wonder why The Market crashed 10% yesterday. Coronavirus is a financial crisis.  It affects production.

This is where people can make a fortune...common sense tells you solid companies are not going out of business...you can buy stock cheap and wait for it go back up

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

So they have verified or are you assuming that has been done?

The first thing a school does is to create a current and comprehensive list of students who either a) do not have internet access in the home or b) do not have a device to utilize that internet access. Then every teacher who has any of those students in one of their classes is working on an alternative method to sustain the educational process while the shutdown is in effect, this typically being some sort of educational packet which students will work through at home.

And I don't know if this will be the case for all districts, but I know in our local district (Western PA) that even if the kids are not there, it has already been planned that all staff will continue to be at the school all day on every weekday to maintain continuity and be available for any unforeseen circumstances that may pop up.

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

It is a good plan. There is no perfect plan. If they don’t have the ability to go virtual, they will get caught up when things are under control.  Being a month behind in school is not the worst case scenario.  At least they will not be transmitting the virus. 

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This is where people can make a fortune...common sense tells you solid companies are not going out of business...you can buy stock cheap and wait for it go back up

No shi.. Sherlock.  ?

Yeah... The average Joe Smucmatelly has the disposable income to invest instead of feeding his family.  Hope he's with an outfit that pays while he's off work.

1 hour ago, zevo said:

Man....if they closed daycares as well there would be no parents available to go to work. I know my wife and I would be screwed 

i've mentioned it on here already, but this is what's going to happen to us.  my wife works for the schools, but if they close, they still want the staff to report.  our daycare that both kids are in sent out an email saying if the schools close, they'll close as well.  we'll both still be in work and will have to figure out care.  i have no idea what we're going to do yet.  

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, teef said:

i've mentioned it on here already, but this is what's going to happen to us.  my wife works for the schools, but if they close, they still want the staff to report.  our daycare that both kids are in sent out an email saying if the schools close, they'll close as well.  we'll both still be in work and will have to figure out care.  i have no idea what we're going to do yet.  

They are going to have to start allowing kids to come to work but then that creates the same issues they were trying to avoid in the first place...