OT - Have it on decent authority that NYS will be making an announcement today that all NYS schools will be closing...

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, teef said:

i've mentioned it on here already, but this is what's going to happen to us.  my wife works for the schools, but if they close, they still want the staff to report.  our daycare that both kids are in sent out an email saying if the schools close, they'll close as well.  we'll both still be in work and will have to figure out care.  i have no idea what we're going to do yet.  

Yeah... That's a big problem!  Good luck.

For 20 years, we were two ships passing in night... My wife works 9-5... I swing shift.  Somehow it worked with closest family 500 miles away.  Leaned on nobody.  But, our employers are fair.

Wife at library has her staff off... They will find a way to pay them.

6 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They are going to have to start allowing kids to come to work but then that creates the same issues they were trying to avoid in the first place...

neither of us could really get anything done with our kids around, so that's not even an option.  we make take alternating days off, find babysitters, see if family can help.  if that's the worst of my problems we're doing ok, but we're going to have to get creative.

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... That's a big problem!  Good luck.

For 20 years, we were two ships passing in night... My wife works 9-5... I swing shift.  Somehow it worked with closest family 500 miles away.  Leaned on nobody.  But, our employers are fair.

Wife at library has her staff off... They will find a way to pay them.

man i will give you credit.  i don't know how people without family in the area do it.  my in laws even moved closer to us to help out.  even this time of year is hard for us because everyone runs to florida for the winter.

Edited by teef
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They are going to have to start allowing kids to come to work but then that creates the same issues they were trying to avoid in the first place...

Family Friendly Sick and Medical Leave. 

After 30 years, I have +2,000 hours sick leave on books, that's over a year's payroll.  Nice insurance policy.  Of course my wages have been lower all career...  And being essential, they always need one body to replace on my watch... Will have to fill with overtime.

Higher wages or higher benefits.  The truly blessed get both.

1 minute ago, teef said:

neither of us could really get anything done with our kids around, so that's not even an option.  we make take alternating days off, find babysitters, see if family can help.  if that's the worst of my problems we're doing ok, but we're going to have to get creative.

man i will give you credit.  i don't know how people without family in the area do it.  my in laws even moved closer to us to help out.  even this time of year is hard for us because everyone run to florida for the winter.

Two good employers.  Me the DoD Army, my wife the Village.  Both family driven...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But... You're making big bucks in Cali... Surely you have a plan?

Oh sure....I'm already working from home and the teachers will be sending lessons for the kids over google drive.   We're pretty stocked up.  We'll all go a little stir crazy but it'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But... You're making big bucks in Cali... Surely you have a plan?

Lol...big rent payments too...on balance I'd take the wages in Buffalo versus the cost of living in Cali...

When a "house" that looks like a shack missing the entire back wall sells in SF for $1.5 million dollars, what do you think the price of any decent home is going to be?

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Lol...big rent payments too...on balance I'd take the wages in Buffalo versus the cost of living in Cali...

When a "house" that looks like a shack missing the entire back wall sells in SF for $1.5 million dollars, what do you think the price of any decent home is going to be?

The game is bigger, faster, stronger... But is it better.  Oh wait, we're not talking football. ?

Here's my question.  What are all these kids going to do with this time off?  They are not going to stay at home.  They are going to the mall, go to the movies, go to the fast food place.  Then what??

For those that don't have kid coverage, I've noticed on the NextDoor app a number of HS kids offering to kid-watch while parents are at work.  Something to look at - FYI.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, teef said:

i've mentioned it on here already, but this is what's going to happen to us.  my wife works for the schools, but if they close, they still want the staff to report.  our daycare that both kids are in sent out an email saying if the schools close, they'll close as well.  we'll both still be in work and will have to figure out care.  i have no idea what we're going to do yet.  

There has to be something that can be done...maybe an expanding FMLA....the fallout from this is going to be huge

Edited by zevo

13 minutes ago, zevo said:

There has to be something that can be done...maybe an expanding FMLA....the fallout from this is going to be huge

The fallout over the next few weeks is going to be big. I’m guessing that over the next 5 days, I’m going to watch my schedule fall apart and shorten working hours. That may be how I manage watching the kids. 

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Come on....nothing a million dollar renovation can't fix!

19 minutes ago, BuffaloBud said:

Here's my question.  What are all these kids going to do with this time off?  They are not going to stay at home.  They are going to the mall, go to the movies, go to the fast food place.  Then what??

For those that don't have kid coverage, I've noticed on the NextDoor app a number of HS kids offering to kid-watch while parents are at work.  Something to look at - FYI.

Not if those places are not open...

• Like (+1) 1

So far I’ve seen scattered announcements about schools that are closing until April 14.  Are they doing this because they know a statewide announcement is coming, are they ignorant of an impending statewide announcement and are acting independently, or are we going to be experiencing different closing policies across the state?

2 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

So far I’ve seen scattered announcements about schools that are closing until April 14.  Are they doing this because they know a statewide announcement is coming, are they ignorant of an impending statewide announcement and are acting independently, or are we going to be experiencing different closing policies across the state?

It’s good to push decisions down as far as possible 

1 minute ago, Gray Beard said:

He means let local people decide their own plans rather than decide from Albany for everybody. 

And generally asserting that pushing authority down to the lowest units is best in all situations.  Just like how all good organizations work.  Lead from behind.  Like our military.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

what are you even talking about?

c’mon......

trying to be a poli-sci geek without setting off alarms....

59 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

He means let local people decide their own plans rather than decide from Albany for everybody. 

And don’t petition DC when the state can handle it, for now..

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So the assumption is each family has a computer for each child and enough bandwidth to support.  Seems like a bad plan.

Thanks for pointing this out as it is no small consideration. There are major inherent inequities relative to the online approach. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Not if those places are not open...

Exactly. Can't see theaters staying open - who wants to go sit with a group of strangers for a couple of hours under these circumstances? Studios are going to hold back their releases because they don't want the poor box office results and poof - theaters are closed.

I imagine the same will hold for most retail like malls - people son't want to go out and shop, stores don't want to have to deal with employees who don't want to be there and may be ill themselves. Grocery stores and pharmacies will stay open, but Hot Topic?

I have a feeling people are going to really withdraw and not go out much. Starbucks says they may only do drive through - I think a lot of other places will do the same - you can get food/drink via the drive through but the main restaurant will be closed - nobody wants to eat there and they don't want to go crazy cleaning it every hour.

These are going to be some unique times - I think back to my grandparents living in Nazi-occupied Holland and how you didn't go out unless you had a very specific thing you needed to do....

Edited by The Avenger

Restaurants in area have taken a big hit especially Asian ones where people asked at one restaurant for whom we know owner "Has the cook traveled overseas this year?".   Since my wife has day (and multiple weeks) off I told her we are going to her friend's Japanese restaurant to support her.

19 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

These are going to be some unique times - I think back to my grandparents living in Nazi-occupied Holland and how you didn't go out unless you had a very specific thing you needed to do....

two family stories of that Occupation...

1) the father of 8 was found with a radio and arrested and marched out to be shot, when it was time the soldiers stated they couldn’t do it and turned around and said he had 60 seconds to disappear, which he did 

2) the collaborator next door told another family that there was going to be a raid on their home at 3:30am, and to get those people hidden in your attic out of there, which they did and the raid occurred on time

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

two family stories of that Occupation...

1) the father of 8 was found with a radio and arrested and marched out to be shot, when it was time the soldiers stated they couldn’t do it and turned around and said he had 60 seconds to disappear, which he did 

2) the collaborator next door told another family that there was going to be a raid on their home at 3:30am, and to get those people hidden in your attic out of there, which they did and the raid occurred on time

Waaaaay OT but my grandparents hid a classmate of Anne Frank's - happy to say she is a very old woman who has lived in California since the war ended.....

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BuffaloBud said:

Hearing a lot of you worry about insurance coverage, I am glad I live in Canada

39 minutes ago, Gray Beard said:

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/cuomo-180-school-days-requirement-waived-decision-to-close-up-to-districts.html

So as of this afternoon, the requirement for 180 school days is being waived, and it’s up to the individual school districts to stay open or close.  

Completely different from what OP claimed would happen

31 minutes ago, The Avenger said:

Waaaaay OT but my grandparents hid a classmate of Anne Frank's - happy to say she is a very old woman who has lived in California since the war ended.....

you introduced Nazi occupation of Holland over this, seemed totally on topic from what you injected.... :D

6 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Schools are in a lose lose situation.

If they close they will be branded as over reactors and playing in to the fear by many

If they stay open "They don't care about the safety of the kids"

A place i used to live just confirmed its first case in the county.... an uber driver..... Schools there are shutting down for weeks.

Depends entirely on who is doing the branding. IMO, it’s the SAFE thing and that trumps all other considerations. 

1 hour ago, Gray Beard said:

https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus/2020/03/cuomo-180-school-days-requirement-waived-decision-to-close-up-to-districts.html

So as of this afternoon, the requirement for 180 school days is being waived, and it’s up to the individual school districts to stay open or close.  

Of course.

In my line of work, very few people can work from home.

I had to come up with a business continuity plan that would allow us to maintain 25% of our business.  I had to take into consideration employees with children (most of those employees are single moms) and pretty much leave them out. 

That plan was to address partial quarantines.

With the looming school closures, I had to ask all of my employees who would be affected (parents of school-aged children) if they would have a plan.  Shockingly, most did.

One of my colleagues in Indiana said that schools there were closing from today until 4/13.  Others in CT said theirs were closing until the 6th.

This is going to hurt us pretty bad.

As far as my son's school district, every student has a school-issued Chromebook, but I don't know if every student has Internet at home and how that would work.

Last I heard (this evening) is that many schools are still slow to close and are creating impromptu "Superintendent's Days," in order to plan.

I'm shocked that as of 10pm I haven't gotten any notification.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I had to come up with a business continuity plan that would allow us to maintain 25% of our business.  I had to take into consideration employees with children (most of those employees are single moms) and pretty much leave them out. 

With the looming school closures, I had to ask all of my employees who would be affected (parents of school-aged children) if they would have a plan.  Shockingly, most did.

One of my colleagues in Indiana said that schools there were closing from today until 4/13.  Others in CT said theirs were closing until the 6th.

As far as my son's school district, every student has a school-issued Chromebook, but I don't know if every student has Internet at home and how that would work.

Last I heard (this evening) is that many schools are still slow to close and are creating impromptu "Superintendent's Days," in order to plan.

Good luck... Do the best you can.

Illinois will shut down completely... All schools by governor proclamation.

10 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My wife is a teacher.  Early today her school scheduled a superintendent’s day this coming Wednesday to plan.  That my be no longer necessary, because later in the afternoon the county executive declared a state of emergency, and all schools in the county (Oneida) are closed until April 14.  So far only a few Central NY counties have done this.  To my knowledge, there isn’t a confirmed case in our county, which makes me wonder if the county executive may have been over zealous. The stores in the area were already being picked clean, and now it’s next level crazy. 

10 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

So the assumption is each family has a computer for each child and enough bandwidth to support.  Seems like a bad plan.

I can't speak for other school districts, but in this school district (which is ~40% free lunch) students get a chromebook in grade school and a laptop in middle school.

The district provides.

I'm not sure what they do to ensure bandwidth.