Duke today, did the bad outweigh the good?

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm stunned at how people are reacting to his performance. He was a key player today and made big plays. As others have said, that TD would've been SPECTACULAR and elevated his performance to legendary. Your expectations are ridiculous.

Duke lost the game for us today.  

Clap it up for moral victories ??

9 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I called my shot before the game, that Duke would be the difference in the game for the Bills (a positive difference).  Unfortunately, I was right (on the negative side), in that Duke failed to make the play for the TD.  He did make some huge 1st down catches though.  Not bad for not having played with Josh for 7 weeks.  He'd be a great 3rd or 4th WR on the team.  We need a #1.  McKittrick gonna be fighting Foster for a roster spot next year.

I'd like to see the Bills draft a WR1 and sign a veteran WR.  Pair these guys with Beasley and Brown for top 4 WRs.  Let Foster, Duke, and McKenzie battle for WR5.  Roberts would be WR6.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I can listen to arguments that McDermott or Josh lost the game for us, but to say it was Duke Williams' fault is a bizarre take. Ridiculous.

asking a wr to “do his job” is too much to ask? 

lmao, this world is the softest.   

22 minutes ago, the skycap said:

The Bills need a Deandre Hopkins. A Zach Ertz. A Alvin Kamara.  Someone who their QB can rely on. It’s up to Beane and staff to find Josh Allen that player rather FA or via the draft

Brace yourself.  It's coming!!  I'm guessing 2 WRs, an OT, and a RB to pair with Singletary.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Duke has the ability to be a wr5.

We have two play makers and one actual weapon on O, singletery (Allen is the other play makers).  Our mix and match always changing gadget O is we Todd did, sofa king we Todd did.

We need new offensive coaches, a new te, a new OT, a new rb2, possibly a guard, and most of all an actual nfl wr 

Our entire team has no ability to get open vs man or best an aggressive blitz.

Dabol not realizing that Duke was better than what we had out there, or that singletery needs to be our focal point, or that empty sets don't produce points for us has driven me insane.

10 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Great to see Williams make some quality plays today, keeping drives alive.

BUT his drops may have been more significant.  A starting NFL receiver catches those balls and puts the Bills in a stronger position to win.

Maybe the gameplan shouldn't have been....Throw to the Wr that we barely used all season, every time Allen dropped back. Where was Beasley? Where was Brown? Why did we not hand the ball off to Singletary in OT.....These seem like bigger problems to me.

10 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

The drops were definitely tough to watch, but it was great to see him make some plays.

I'm not sure if it would have ultimately made a difference, but I wonder if getting him more involved during the regular season could have helped in preparation for this game. 

Exactly my point of view.   There seemed to be no plan for this offense.  Seemed like RobJohnson all over again at WR.  Duke has a great week 17 and gets starter status for a playoff game.  I just dont get it.

This team is young and in some way will learn from this loss. WIll be a bitter loss to remember for next year!

He did well for a practice-squad player, which is what he is and should be on most NFL rosters. On the Bills', he should have been active all year, which underlines how much the Bills needed that last piece. A few weeks ago here I wondered if Beane and McDermott were surprised at this run and wished they had added that last key player, and I was assured this wasn't the case, that the current roster was all part of the process. That was the Koolaid talking. I think they were surprised and did regret not adding somebody better than Foster and Williams (i.e, virtually any warm body). No blame: great they did better than anyone expected. The cruelty here is that they and Allen are enduring scorn across the league--and on this board--for not doing WAY WAY better than expected (one way is not enough). I mean, Allen was came into the league as raw as any QB ever, probably, and he takes the team to the playoffs in his second year with only two receivers and a rookie tight end. Duke Williams is the Carwell Gardner or Keith McKellar of this offense, a guy everyone desperately wants to be good and is simply not.

14 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Duke lost the game for us today.  

Clap it up for moral victories ??

harsh but i have to agree. I suppose Duke deserved to be in there over foster though - he put together one of the greatest disappearing acts of all time this season. 

You can't put this on Duke.  How many games was he active for this year?  It was evident to me more than ever that John Brown is not a #1.  Nice player, good season, but not "the guy".  A top receiver knows where his feet are and makes both of those catches.  The first one was a beautiful throw and he shows no awareness as to where the sideline was.  The second one late in the game, why the heck were his feet out before the ball even showed up? 

Edited by YodaMan79

14 minutes ago, Jaywrizzo said:

Maybe the gameplan shouldn't have been....Throw to the Wr that we barely used all season, every time Allen dropped back. Where was Beasley? Where was Brown? Why did we not hand the ball off to Singletary in OT.....These seem like bigger problems to me.

Definitely a strange game plan.  They should have relied on the guys who got them there - Brown, Beasley, and Singletary.  Bringing Duke up was right call because Foster hadn't done anything.

I thought Duke made catches the other smurfs would not have made.   Yes he didnt make 2 difficult catches but he brought things to the offense McKenzie or Foster do not.   Fans were right all year he should have been playing more.   I was impressed with McKenzies ability to run out of bounds, not like you might put some extra effort into a playoff game and cut one of the end arounds inside for a few more yards.

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Definitely a strange game plan.  They should have relied on the guys who got them there - Brown, Beasley, and Singletary.  Bringing Duke up was right call because Foster hadn't done anything.

Yup.....look like our OC was done coming up with a game plan after the 1st drive.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Duke was fine yesterday and one of his best catches was nullified by Krofts holding penalty. That catch alone, had it stood, would have sealed the game.

If Kroft is on this team next year at his salary I will have lost all faith in Beane.

Duke proved yesterday that he should have played all season. Benching him for Foster was detrimental to the team overall and a dumb personnel decision.  Trying to justify ST's over a WR was asinine. The coaches not explaining why they kept him inactive was  also inexcusable.  I think he should have had that TD yesterday but it was a difficult catch. Calling it a drop is idiotic. Watch the replay. It hits Duke in the hands just as the Texans Db comes flying in and hits Duke across the torso disrupting the play. There are not very many receivers in the league that make that catch and hold onto the ball and definitely nobody else on the team.  The 2nd so called "drop" play was excellent pass defense. Duke also made some nice grabs and had to deal with a couple of bad passes by Josh. This is what you expect from a #3 receiver and especially one who has ONLY PLAYED IN 5 GAMES ALL SEASON, but the illogical hatred for this guy on this board borders on insane. According to the Duke haters on this board, Duke shouldn't be on the team, Duke should catch every pass thrown to him, Duke should never celebrate, Duke is too slow, Duke never gets open. It goes on and on.

The most telling thing to me was, at the end of half and at the end of regulation, with only seconds remaining, Duke Williams was targeted in 4 of the 4 passes.  

It speaks volumes that our best option in those scenarios is a guy who was inactive the whole year.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it. But who on our team catches that ball as it was thrown? 

No excuses please. The endzone pass was a very catchable ball and should have been caught. That cost us 4 points and coupled with his other drops, he had a very negative effect on the outcome.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it. But who on our team catches that ball as it was thrown? 

no one. It’s a problem.

I would love to see some major upgrades in WR talent and probably tight end as well.

it was perfect as was the sideline ball to smoke Where he was completely unaware of the sideline. 

DeAndre made 3 or 4 yesterday that no one on the bills roster does and mostly against a first team all pro corner. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

It seems clear to me that Duke should have been playing ahead of Foster. Some of our resident expert talent evaluators now (reluctantly) concede this but the new fallback position is that he is a mediocrity who won't be on the roster next year. IMO we don't know exactly what he may be capable of or what he might have added to this O had he played earlier. 

The upcoming draft is great for WRs. I'd like to see the Bills draft one early and another in later rounds if a really promising prospect is still on the board, which could easily happen in this year's draft.

I expect Duke will compete for a spot and I'm certainly not assuming that he won't stick. I also think there is some duplication in our WR group. The punt/kick returner and the gadget play guy should be one roster spot, not two. That would create more space in staffing the WR corps. 

What completely puzzles me however is force feeding Duke reps yesterday after virtually ignoring him all year, and especially at Beasley's expense it would seem. Could be just another example of the team's disfunction on offence. I sometimes get the impression that some of Daboll's head scratchers are attempts to capitalize on the unexpected. So Romeo prepares for Beasley and gets Duke. That's not reason enuf to sit a good slot receiver who has some chemistry with Allen IMO. 

7 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'd like to see the Bills draft a WR1 and sign a veteran WR.  Pair these guys with Beasley and Brown for top 4 WRs.  Let Foster, Duke, and McKenzie battle for WR5.  Roberts would be WR6.

Foster is not battling for anything. There are backup dbs all over the NFL who can play gunner. Foster serves no purpose on this team anymore than Zay did.

17 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

I don’t think he’ll be on the team next year, but for only starting 3 games I think he produced better than expected. One drop was the DB knocking his hand after the ball was caught.

If he is,barring a huge improvement then the team didn't do enough to improve in the off season.

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

No excuses please. The endzone pass was a very catchable ball and should have been caught. That cost us 4 points and coupled with his other drops, he had a very negative effect on the outcome.

You literally quote me as saying "The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it." and then repeat what I said as if you are adding something new. According to your logic every pass should be caught, no matter the velocity, no matter the coverage, no matter the placement and like most of the Duke haters on this site you somehow expect a guy who played 5 games all season and was on the practice squad to make this catch no problem.  If you think that was an easy or routine catch, you know nothing about football.

18 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

You literally quote me as saying "The endzone pass was a difficult one and I think he should have caught it." and then repeat what I said as if you are adding something new. According to your logic every pass should be caught, no matter the velocity, no matter the coverage, no matter the placement and like most of the Duke haters on this site you somehow expect a guy who played 5 games all season and was on the practice squad to make this catch no problem.  If you think that was an easy or routine catch, you know nothing about football.

You lack football sense if you wish to believe Duke is the annoited one. He had what, 10 targets and caught 4? Yes, the endzone was a drop. That cost the Bills 4 points and was precisely the type of ball he was kept on the roster to make. Sorry, I wanted the best for him, it would have made a good story, but he was knee deep in the Bills mistakes Saturday.  A winnable game that needed a couple plays. 

1 hour ago, Spiderweb said:

You lack football sense if you wish to believe Duke is the annoited one. He had what, 10 targets and caught 4? Yes, the endzone was a drop. That cost the Bills 4 points and was precisely the type of ball he was kept on the roster to make. Sorry, I wanted the best for him, it would have made a good story, but he was knee deep in the Bills mistakes Saturday.  A winnable game that needed a couple plays. 

By your reasoning, any Bills WR that drops a TD pass doesn’t get a pass. Tell me, if you put Williams in Brown’s spot on the TD attempt against Baltimore, does Williams make that catch? 

Duke did fine and the targets affirm he was getting open and most importantly Josh trusted him.  Too bad McDermott thought otherwise all season  Coaching staff has a awful habit of sticking to their first narrative  I hope we see some growth in that facet for 2020