facebook_icon.svg  
  twitter_icon.svg  
  email_icon.svg  

• 0ap3000000923721.jpg
  • By Nick Shook
  • Around The NFL Writer
  • Published: Jan. 2, 2020 at 06:18 p.m.
  • Updated: Jan. 2, 2020 at 06:56 p.m.

Tom Brady is preparing for another home playoff game this weekend in what has felt like a given for most of the last two decades.

There are differences now, though. Brady is playing in a wild-card game, something he hasn't participated in a decade. And he's doing so while on the final year of a contract that very well could be his last in New England.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001094031/article/brady-not-thinking-about-possible-final-game-with-pats

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

Enough with this nonsense.  He's not going anywhere.

Why is it nonsense? He’s 42 and any year could be his last. Maybe its this year, maybe its not. We have no way of knowing until Brady lets us know.

I’ll say this, Ive heard him interviewed several times this season and reporters have frequently given him a question asking him about his love of the game and his response never leaves me believing he enjoys playing anymore.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I heard him say a week or so ago, that after awhile you just can't get yourself up to cheat as much as you would like to, or have before. To me, he may have lost his love for cheating. If that is true, he is done.

I love it....it sure would be sweet to put a big asterisk right next to his name & Belicheat, the mastermind of this. Maybe they cheated alot at Navy.

20 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

Enough with this nonsense.  He's not going anywhere.

He’s going to retire.

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Then it is time for him to write his "Tell All" book.

Someone eventually will. No way that all the cheating and illegal activities we know about and they have been punished for, isn’t just the tip of the iceberg. 
The fact people revere Bill Belichick after he was found guilty of cheating, something I don’t recall Parcells or Walsh or heck pretty much any other coach, is mind boggling. 

The reason former Patriots keep their mouths shut is that if they say anything about the cheating it then lessens their own accomplishments. It also ruins relationships in the good old boy club. At the end of the day, it's just a game not life and death they say to comfort themselves.

Titles are the thing nobody can take away. 

Someone will come along and break any career or single season stat record while you're retired and sitting on the couch.

But if you win a title nothing anyone or any team does in the future can take that away.

So it's zipped lips in NE. Belichicks former assistants seem to beat NE at s 50% rate, which tells me they are on to the tricks and know how to negate them. 

Also, I'll add that those who benefit from the cheating know that people bringing it up just sounds like sour grapes eventually.

The trophies are in the case.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He’s going to retire.

Someone eventually will. No way that all the cheating and illegal activities we know about and they have been punished for, isn’t just the tip of the iceberg. 
The fact people revere Bill Belichick after he was found guilty of cheating, something I don’t recall Parcells or Walsh or heck pretty much any other coach, is mind boggling. 

Belichick AND Brady - it truly is mind boggling to me.

And what is known is most definitely just the very tip of the iceberg - when it all comes down it will truly be one of the happiest days of my sports-fan life.

• Like (+1) 1

As far as Brady goes....

I think there are some deep resentments between him and Belichick

He spent a year orchestrating Antonio Browns arrival in NE only to see it end in 11 days.

I think he's miserable and wants to go have fun playing somewhere else for a year or 2.

He's getting paid a fraction of what he should be and Belichick spent the cap space on defense.

I think both Brady and Belichick want to prove that they can succeed without the other.

Belichick has already proven that though.

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

The reason former Patriots keep their mouths shut is that if they say anything about the cheating it then lessens their own accomplishments. It also ruins relationships in the good old boy club. At the end of the day, it's just a game not life and death they say to comfort themselves.

Titles are the thing nobody can take away. 

Someone will come along and break any career or single season stat record while you're retired and sitting on the couch.

But if you win a title nothing anyone or any team does in the future can take that away.

So it's zipped lips in NE. Belichicks former assistants seem to beat NE at s 50% rate, which tells me they are on to the tricks and know how to negate them. 

Also, I'll add that those who benefit from the cheating know that people bringing it up just sounds like sour grapes eventually.

The trophies are in the case.

I believe the troika of Brady/Bellicheat/Adams are the ones who truly know everything, and the whole thing has been orchestrated in such a way as to not expose players and assistants to all the details.  Ie., they may get information, but not necessarily know the how/why/where it came from.  

2 minutes ago, stevewin said:

Belichick AND Brady - it truly is mind boggling to me.

And what is known is most definitely just the very tip of the iceberg - when it all comes down it will truly be one of the happiest days of my sports-fan life.

Agreed. I think when Brady retires we need to put a thread together that outlines every single known violation over the past 20 years. It should include Players suspended for PED’s to Videotape scandals to tampering  of footballs and Bob Krafts antics. And ask how during that period of time does any other team in the NFL stack up to the Pats record. It’s easy to see why they have so many wins. They cheat more than anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As far as Brady goes....

He spent a year orchestrating Antonio Browns arrival in NE only to see it end in 11 days.

I think he's miserable and wants to go have fun playing somewhere else for a year or 2.

He's getting paid a fraction of what he should be and Belichick spent the cap space on defense.

Yeah, I think it's been the buzz this season that he's irritated with Belichick's refusal to address the receiver position. They drafted Harry but he missed half the year. Gronk retiring has definitely affected him, and they didn't bother to try and replace him. Too bad, so sad. 

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Agreed. I think when Brady retires we need to put a thread together that outlines every single known violation over the past 20 years. It should include Players suspended for PED’s to Videotape scandals to tampering  of footballs and Bob Krafts antics. And ask how during that period of time does any other team in the NFL stack up to the Pats record. It’s easy to see why they have so many wins. They cheat more than anyone. 

I always wanted someone to do an analysis of game changing/winning questionable calls throughout their "dynasty" as well.  The  number of calls in their favor keeping drives alive (or killing opponents drives) compared to other teams over the past 20 years I imagine is mind blowing. 

9 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Use your "search" functions to find these threads....

6 minutes ago, stevewin said:

I always wanted someone to do an analysis of game changing/winning questionable calls throughout their "dynasty" as well.  The  number of calls in their favor keeping drives alive (or killing opponents drives) compared to other teams over the past 20 years I imagine is mind blowing. 

"Just give it to them" when it is clear they are one yard from 1st down yard line.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Use your "search" functions to find these threads....

That’s what I mean. One complete full detailed thread AFTER Tom retires. Put it in chronological order. 

btw, don’t you think it’s odd the Belichick knows these little loop holes in the rule book? It’s because he is trying to figure out what he can get away with. People say it makes him an innovator or genius, I think it points to a guy so consumed with winning he will do anything. He has proven as has Brady they will cross the line. 

19 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

As far as Brady goes....

I think both Brady and Belichick want to prove that they can succeed without the other.

I have no evidence for what I'm about to write: I think most of this is wrong, though I agree his pissiness about losing AB after 11 days was real.

My sense is that Brady* and Bellicheck* wanted the one whale that has eluded them: the perfect season. There was something of a cry from Tommy* when they lost their first game this year and it became clear to me this is what they really wanted to do: Win it all undefeated and go out as the best ever.

Brady* is a lot of things, a cheater first and foremost, but he's also not completely stupid. He knows he can't just take what he does to another team and make it work. There are too many variables that could trip him up.  There is no Denver team waiting for him to just be competent.

I'm of the mindset that he retires this year, as does Bellicheck*. They have no one in the wings. No heir apparent to either of them. They leave at the end of the year, and Kraft's* team takes a nosedive so everyone in NE* whines about the Brady*/Bellicheck* days.

• Like (+1) 1

I think he's done. Just watching him all year and I have watched a lot of New England this year. Just a good fade bet so I was tuned in a lot. I mean he celebrated a 10 yard sneak against the Chiefs for a first down as if he won a Super Bowl. Outside of that I haven't seen a smile all season. He knows he's working against time. I think he feels it and it weighs on him. You don't really know that feeling until your body fails you at something it never has before. He knows he's working against his HC in many ways. He was just frustrated and angry seemingly all season. If he has any sense he will hang it up.     

I don’t think Brady is sentimental about staying with one team his entire career. I’ve seen interviews with him talking about how Montana and Jerry Rice all went to play on other teams. He realizes it’s a business.

I think if there is a team who can compete for a title then it’s not out of the realm to think he wouldn’t move.

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

59 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I don’t think Brady is sentimental about staying with one team his entire career. I’ve seen interviews with him talking about how Montana and Jerry Rice all went to play on other teams. He realizes it’s a business.

I think if there is a team who can compete for a title then it’s not out of the realm to think he wouldn’t move.

Yes the Browns would be perfect for him - supreme ego in team of egos.   If they get bumped out of playoffs soon enough he could get owner to hire coach and GM he could work with.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Ego might make him do that.  The risk though is the erosion of his skills and finding himself in a poor fit could lead to a terrible season.  Bad for ego, but egos can heal quickly. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Then it is time for him to write his "Tell All" book.

I suspect “The Deflator” or another low level cheater who needs the money will come out first. I might actually PAY to read that stuff! 

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

if he did he would be exposed for the cheater he is

His failure if he went to another team would be of epic proportions.  Everyone would blame age, and The Lack Of Talent Around Him - but the fact is he will be he will no longer be in his system - the system of cheating, the same offense he was in for 20 yrs where the 7 yd slant would be there through muscle memory.   Imagine also the loss of the phantom chain-moving flags at  critical times - or refs actually letting defensive players touch him - or actually calling him for egregious grounding multiple times a game.

I would loooove to see him go to another team so bad - a guaranteed fail - no doubt enough to expose and stain his "legacy".  F him.

Edited by stevewin

2 hours ago, IDBillzFan said:

I have no evidence for what I'm about to write: I think most of this is wrong, though I agree his pissiness about losing AB after 11 days was real.

My sense is that Brady* and Bellicheck* wanted the one whale that has eluded them: the perfect season. There was something of a cry from Tommy* when they lost their first game this year and it became clear to me this is what they really wanted to do: Win it all undefeated and go out as the best ever.

Brady* is a lot of things, a cheater first and foremost, but he's also not completely stupid. He knows he can't just take what he does to another team and make it work. There are too many variables that could trip him up.  There is no Denver team waiting for him to just be competent.

I'm of the mindset that he retires this year, as does Bellicheck*. They have no one in the wings. No heir apparent to either of them. They leave at the end of the year, and Kraft's* team takes a nosedive so everyone in NE* whines about the Brady*/Bellicheck* days.

I have a slightly different take;  I think what they both want more than anything is to win a SB without the other.  Belichick of course, can outlast Brady and I think he will for that reason.  Of course, now that he's lost Jimmy G he needs to find a QB.  I wouldn't put it out of the question for him to pick a veteran. 

I've always thought it a very remote chance Brady ever plays anywhere else;  it would take a situation like Manning had in Denver -- a team that had everything but the QB.  I don't see that currently in the NFL.  Even with all his arrogance, Brady realizes how valuable Belichick has been in winning all those Super Bowls and he isn't going to find that anywhere else.  He sure as hell isn't going to some dumpster fire team like Jacksonville or Washington.

I still think he plays in NE next year, but retirement is the only other legit option at this point.

I think its pretty clear he has been positioning to lean on new england for a multi-year deal on par with top quarterbacks to both stroke his ego, and hit the longevity marks for legacy and future TB12 earnings.  

The problem is, he hasnt had a real good season, and an expensive, multi-year deal is probably not wise for the patriots.

Will Kraft use his veto power to give Brady his deal?  I see no reason to think he won't.  

If so, will this actually be the end of Belichick in New England?  I could see him bailing and going to the Giants this time.  I dont think he wants to tie his legacy to see if TB12 works on a 45 year old.  I also think 3 major Kraft underminings would be plenty reason.  Imo this would be the best scenario.  I could see belichick re-inventing the patriots like harbough has done the Ravens

13 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

That was in the 1998 season, before Belichick. 

I am sure Belicheat helped just like Beane helped in Bills draft first season for Coach McD ?

Oh and if T*m leaves does that mean his "herb guy" will no longer provide for P*ts but go to his new team?  If he retires does he continue to get kickbacks thru that?

3 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

As far as Brady goes....

Allow me to add Belichick wanted to keep Jimmy G and get rid of Brady.