Armchair QB Whisperers beware! Pros see Allen differently.

Chandler#81

6 minutes ago, arcane said:

Allen gets every missed throw microanalyzed like no QB I've ever seen in my life, and it's because of his draft profile, and the fact that people had stronger negative opinions of him before ever seeing an NFL snap than any Bills draft pick I've ever seen. 

While he's obviously still growing, every time I turn on another game and watch other good QBs, I laugh, and say to myself at least 10 times a game that if our QB had made that throw, there'd be 15 total pages on it between all of the threads. QBs miss throws, especially against NE, BAL, and PIT. and against those 3 defenses, he got better each week. he went from being horrendous 10-19 yards down the field to a top 5 QB in that range in one offseason. He's played in fewer than 30 games. We're in a good spot.

You are spot on here! 

It's really deranged the way some fans do this with Allen.  I just watched a replay of the 1st half of the Bills/Raiders 1991 Championship game and Kelly had two bad throws where he missed wide open guys about 15 yards down the field and the 1st thing I thought was that it was a good thing we didn't have social media back then! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Magox said:

Yes, it's absurd because he said "large chunks" of the game.   And it is absurd to say 75% sub par play.  Your defense of his post is also :bag: and has no factual basis behind it.

He picks an article by a  Pats*** fan and ignores a number of "actual" national media members singing Allen's praises. This board is almost insufferable after a loss with the handful of posters who feel the need to take over every thread with their "Allen might possibly be the worst QB who has ever picked up a football in the history of the sport" posts...

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I can see both sides of the argument and the only real answer is time will tell. 

I never thought Flacco was a accurate passer but that year he lead the Ravens to a SB he must of had a out of body experience or something. That might have been one of the best performances by a QB who up’ed his game in the playoffs that I have ever seen. 

I cant wait to see how pumped up Allen is for the playoffs and if he can elevate his game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh is making some of the same mistakes now that he made nearly 2 years ago.

Are we sure he's progressing and "learning" ???

His completion % is more what I'd call regressing to the mean.

You're definitely joking.

There's absolutely no way that anyone watching this kid could say they don't see serious progress.

Unless that person is an idiot. But I don't believe you're an idiot. So the only logical explanation is that you're joking.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

There's absolutely no way that anyone watching this kid could say they don't see serious progress.

Unless that person is an idiot. But I don't believe you're an idiot. So the only logical explanation is that you're joking.

God help us all. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

My guess is he will prove you wrong before this thread ends....

• Haha (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

He picks an article by a  Pats*** fan and ignores a number of "actual" national media members singing Allen's praises. This board is almost insufferable after a loss with the handful of posters who feel the need to take over every thread with their "Allen might possibly be the worst QB who has ever picked up a football in the history of the sport" posts...

I sometimes think these takes are an insight into a lack of understanding they have about football. Everybody thinks they get the QB and his job, but really not so much. In short, in their minds it is was they understand and they really don't think they lack understanding. I can tell by reading posts, such as yours, that you get that it isn't as simple as that, much context is required. These are not excuses, but actual analysis.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No, he's an "idiot".  In the DC Tom sort of way

Edited by Magox

I think he's coming along as expected, as a game manager year 2 getting more valuable reps and was good enough to get us to the playoffs, weak schedule or not in years past we weren't good enough to even beat the teams we should have to make it, we've arrived there. From looking at some other QB's who I think looked similar to Allen in playing styles (Matthew Stafford/Ben Roethlisberger) it took Big Ben until year 4 to put it all together but made the playoffs as a game manager for 2 out of the 3 seasons and Matthew Stafford got it together in year 3. I mean from where Allen was last year to now is pretty incredible, the guy has 20 TD, 9 INT, 58.8 comp % (hopefully he can get that part of his game up) and his rushing ability makes him even better. I've been really impressed with him this season and I'm not sure why so many are down on him at this point.

• Like (+1) 3

52 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

I can remember a few bad plays yesterday but no large chunks of yesterday's game or even this season where that is true. 

Yesterday against the NFL's best defense (can we stop forgetting that), he threw for 200 yards and rushed for about 50 more. The line was terrible. There was no running game. And they were still on the 8 yard line with a chance to tie it...when we went QB sweep, missed pass, and then 2 plays with zero blocking. 

Bingo!!!  Blaming this game on Josh is ludicrous. We also gave up 3 75+ yard drives on defense and got outsacked 4-0. Josh could have made some extra plays but he hardly was the difference here. Those 2 bombs are not plays most QBs could make ever. The Brown throw was while getting blasted and throwing with no base.

Our terrible running game really hurt. The season stats showed Pats are worst against run when 3 WR, so Daboll goes with 2 WR trying to outcoach Belicheck. How did that work out? 

Edited by Locomark
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Josh Allen had 2 TDs and zero turnovers against the best defense in the NFL (some have called best all time) and people are trying to say that he had a bad game? I'm sorry but that just does not make sense to me. His growth has been unbelievable. Do any of you watch other NFL games? Unless your name is Drew Brees, quarterbacks miss throws all the time. I'm sick of everyone expecting perfection from a 2nd year raw qb. 

Edited by wiseman3
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

55 minutes ago, Irv said:

I'm astonished at the cannon the guy has.  I'm also astonished that an NFL caliber QB can't hit a wide open Beasly 15 yards away.  Seems to be throwing off the back foot a lot.  

You apparently don’t watch a lot of games then, because typically the 15-20 yard throw is his honey spot.

• Like (+1) 4

CBS Pregame had Boomer praising Josh Allen and said he is the Bills QB for the next 10 years.

Getting some playoff experience will be good for the young man.

He has a lot to work on and we know he will put in the effort.

I still see him improving and EVERYONE will have to wait to see how much it will be.

• Like (+1) 4

44 minutes ago, arcane said:

This was me. I hated the pick more than any single other thing the Bills had done in my fanhood. 

I look back and am embarrassed to have pretended I know anything about football 

Its all good look how many knowledgeable NFL gurus were wrong.

At least you see the light and quit beating your head against the wall. 

• Like (+1) 3