Armchair QB Whisperers beware! Pros see Allen differently.

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

And McDermott holds him and the offense back by consistently going into a shell when they get a lead. Instead of looking to put up more points his main concern is clearly the clock. It's annoying as *****. 

McD and FatDabs are definetly holding him back.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

And McDermott holds him and the offense back by consistently going into a shell when they get a lead. Instead of looking to put up more points his main concern is clearly the clock. It's annoying as *****. 

Yep. It's frustrating...and what makes it worse is that they're robbing the kid of some serious growth opportunities in the process 

13 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Too many people forget that Allen was the most raw QB coming out last year. In a perfect world, THIS was supposed to be his first year actually playing.

I think he's far and away better than anybody thought he would be at this point. The biggest question is how much farther he can come. Based on what I've seen, I think he can get there. He doesn't ever look confused or overmatched. Sure, his play needs to be better. 

If he takes the kind of jump from year 2 to 3 as he did from 1 to 2, we're going to be in for a hell of a ride.

3 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

This^^ No one thought he would be as good as he has been this early in career. He was the long term project guy with a huge ceiling. When he hits that ceiling, he is going to be the best QB in NFL and that could be as early as next year. Get your popcorn haters, some fun ball is ahead. ?

I agree with you guys that his ceiling is very high.   I'm glad they took the chance on him.     

NBC had a pretty interesting comparison of Trubisky and Mahomes last night during Bears/Chiefs where they showed both of them making outstanding highlight plays.   You'd think they were comparable if all you looked at were the highlights.   But Trubisky just misses or poorly places far too many easy throws.    Mahomes is like a shortstop who makes an good throw almost every time from wherever he is.   That consistency is the difference between great and middling.  There is no guarantee that Trubisky can fix his issues because consistent accuracy doesn't come naturally to him.   I think Allen's ceiling is higher but in terms of consistency his issues are similar to Trubisky in that regard.  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Please. Expressly stating and implying are close enough for tea in China. Don't play the wordsmith game; just respond to the point or move on.

Dude, you never said he was horrific, just that he was horrific?

Cmon. You're better than this.

Nobody gives him a pass. Many folks, however, are willing to live with the misses at this point in his career given that he often makes up for it with spectacular plays that result in points.

What was your point again?

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree with you guys that his ceiling is very high.   I'm glad they took the chance on him.     

NBC had a pretty interesting comparison of Trubisky and Mahomes last night during Bears/Chiefs where they showed both of them making outstanding highlight plays.   You'd think they were comparable if all you looked at were the highlights.   But Trubisky just misses or poorly places far too many easy throws.    Mahomes is like a shortstop who makes an good throw almost every time from wherever he is.   That consistency is the difference between great and middling.  There is no guarantee that Trubisky can fix his issues because consistent accuracy doesn't come naturally to him.   I think Allen's ceiling is higher but in terms of consistency his issues are similar to Trubisky in that regard.  

I agree... However, I think has improved his accuracy to a degree already. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. But I think anybody who doesn't think it's already improved a bit hasn't been watching the games and is just looking at stats. He has a way to go, no doubt. Most of his inaccurate passes are all a product of footwork, which is WAY better than it was a year ago.

The fact that he has shown he has the ability to improve is very promising IMO. If we were at the end of year two and the accuracy was no better than it was week 2 last year, I'd be incredibly concerned. But anybody who's actually watched our games can see that he has greatly improved - showing that he's a guy that can be coached.

Edited by CLTbills
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, london_bills said:

Yeah. There's the overthrowing but also what I would describe as not seeing the game, flustered, jittery, intimidated. 

I do remember last year in green Bay was similar. He just looks a different player like a switch is turned. 

He is a different player. 

He can read the defense (usually) and he understands what that means in terms of what options are likely to be opened or taken away.

He has made real strides with his accuracy.

17 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Josh Allen is going to be a stud for a long time

I don't put my name behind most QBs or any QB from the Bills in the last 20 years

Allen's my guy. Beasley said he would get into a bar fight for him and so would I

You comfort me, @Buffalo716.  I'm not sold yet, but I see real progress and I am *almost* Hopeful

The one thing that just shines out from Allen is the "It" factor, the charisma.  In the locker room, he seems to have the gift of making people believe.

• Like (+1) 5

22 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Josh is making some of the same mistakes now that he made nearly 2 years ago.

Are we sure he's progressing and "learning" ???

His completion % is more what I'd call regressing to the 

The most overrated stats for your quarterbacks may be completion percentage

“THE DESIGN OF AN OFFENSE HAS GREAT IMPACT ON COMPLETION PERCENTAGE. IF WE’RE GOING TO, YOU CAN TAKE A YOUNG MAN AND ENCOURAGE HIM TO CHECK DOWN, SUDDENLY YOU LOOK UP AND HE’S COMPLETING 68 OR 70 PERCENT OF HIS PASSES. THAT’S WONDERFUL. BUT WHAT DO YOU SACRIFICE TO GET THAT DONE? WE DON’T HAVE A VERTICAL PASSING GAME SUDDENLY.”

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Yes, actually it is...

I agree its absurd.  Josh will finish the year around 3300 yds passing, qb rating mid 80's, 30+ total touchdowns on 9 picks.  10+ wins, a bunch of 4th quarter winning drives with a reputation for toughness and winning on the road.   

2nd year qb with virtually zero time to sit the bench and learn the pro game.  

Not sure what people expect from a rookie qb, but if this doesn't excite you then you oughta look harder into the game itself and educate yourself in NFL qb play and the path from draft pick to established franchise guy.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You ARE argumentative. And wrong.

Just quit. Folks here think you’re clueless about American football. Start typing, you remove all doubt.

?

For me, hitting those 2 long passes was critical. Playoff opponents now HAVE to respect that Allen’s otherworldly arm strength CAN destroy them deep. This bodes very well for our Running game as they won’t take the chance on stacking 8 or 9 in the box.

“Recognized, experienced National Sports reporters” was a tad long to fit into the Thread subtopic. But yes, they are paid for their work.?

Thank you! Still, our agenda-based brethren won’t let facts get in the way of their baseless tirades..

Will the League lighten up it’s marijuana penalties this off season?? Could be a big help early on.

Thanks, folks! Great discussion. Now Let’s go do some DAMAGE in the Playoffs!

Allen was poor to start the game. I am not wrong with that. 

You are entitled to your opinion but don't think that I am too concerned with your opinion of my posts. 

22 hours ago, BringBackOrton said:

Some folks ask, would you rather have Allen throw 300+ yards and 3TD’s in a game and lose than 150 yards and win? And the answer is it depends. 

Depends? On what? Whether you took the over?

On 12/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

Are you also astonished at his two TD throws or naah ? 

Are you impressed by the OL blocking which allowed pressure in his face for most of the game ?

Look, I'm on board with Josh, but the easy misses cost us the game. He's inconsistent for now. Every amazing throw has a head scratching miss to go with it, many times w/o pressure.  He's got us to 10 wins and has improved. But he's got to learn to sustain drives and connect with open receivers consistently, especially with pressure packages every DC is going to now throw at him. Those two 3-and-outs in the 4th quarter, with a winded D, really hurt us. True the OC bears some of the blame but so does Josh. It's not blasphemy to say there's another level he needs to step-up into - and sooner than later.

On 12/22/2019 at 12:05 PM, Fan in Chicago said:

Are you also astonished at his two TD throws or naah ? 

Are you impressed by the OL blocking which allowed pressure in his face for most of the game ?

No

21 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just quit. Folks here think you’re clueless about American football. Start typing, you remove all doubt.

?

You're kidding, right? I mean you have to be! Just because he's from London he's clueless about football? I'm not from the US. Grew up playing. Follow NFL every week and go to NFL games every year, and I love the Bills!! Am I clueless too because I'm not American? Stop gate keeping football like you gate keep Bills fandom. 

I've got your "American only" football right here...

131974429_Marshawn2.thumb.jpg.e881319b32647322f71b100c3fa89f25.jpg  

Edited by VW82

1 minute ago, VW82 said:

You're kidding, right? I mean you have to be! Just because he's from London he's clueless about football? I'm not from the US. Grew up playing. Follow NFL every week and go to NFL games every year. Am I clueless too because I'm not American? Stop gate keeping football like you gate keep Bills fandom. 

I've got your "American only" football right here...

131974429_Marshawn2.thumb.jpg.e881319b32647322f71b100c3fa89f25.jpg  

Thanks man!

• Like (+1) 1