NFL 100 Wide Receiver list

Arguably the most difficult position group to evaluate due to the changes the game has seen over time.

They left off Terrell Owens in favor of Marvin Harrison.  TO was a much more talented WR than Harrison. TO had far worse QBs to play with. Harrison played entire career in a dome. TO almost single handedly beat the Patriots on one leg with a puking McNabb and choking Andy Reid. I don't recall a single great playoff moment for Harrison.

Absolute travesty.  

I'd have put Calvin Johnson in over Harrison and Warfield as well.

• Like (+1) 3

I believe TO's persona and the antics have worked against him all of his career, despite the fact of his talent. Even when elected to the HOF he chose to speak at his Alma Mater instead of the enshrinement ceremony. It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Arguably the most difficult position group to evaluate due to the changes the game has seen over time.

They left off Terrell Owens in favor of Marvin Harrison.  TO was a much more talented WR than Harrison. TO had far worse QBs to play with. Harrison played entire career in a dome. TO almost single handedly beat the Patriots on one leg with a puking McNabb and choking Andy Reid. I don't recall a single great playoff moment for Harrison.

Absolute travesty.  

I'd have put Calvin Johnson in over Harrison and Warfield as well.

Harrison getting love over TO drives me nuts. He went in the HOF before him. They played in the same era so it’s easy to compare them. TO was the far superior player. 

TO is also the way better person. So before someone goes onto the rant about “TO the teammate” never forget “Marvin Harrison the shooter.”

• Like (+1) 2

I appreciated that they put some of the older era receivers like Warfield, etc., but the addition of Harrison and Moss over Tim Brown and T.O. is suspect. Owens and Brown put up better numbers than Moss. Harrison is not even a good guy, so it confused me. Maybe Moss is on so that Belecheat could talk about him as his player during the show. 

8 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

I appreciated that they put some of the older era receivers like Warfield, etc., but the addition of Harrison and Moss over Tim Brown and T.O. is suspect. Owens and Brown put up better numbers than Moss. Harrison is not even a good guy, so it confused me. Maybe Moss is on so that Belecheat could talk about him as his player during the show. 

Moss deserves to be there....not saying that TO doesn't, but Moss is not what should be considered a bad choice....IMO of course....

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tesla03 said:

the whole list is a joke

they put a bunch of guys from the 50's and 60's over current athletes lol. 

up to 1978 anything was allowed on WRs, you could put a man in a wheelchair without a penalty 

Usually I have a difficult time with the really old guys like Dutch Clark at RB. However, hard to leave Don Hutson off, first really great receiver. I think they did a good job, but I would have taken off Largent (fine player) and added Calvin Johnson. Paul Warfield is a no brainer from his era. Marvin Harrison was terrific as well with the single season 143 catches record. Lance Alworth was incredible glad he made it. Could care less about Owens, I think the guys a loser and wouldn't want him on my team. JMO

It's a decent list. It's clear they are judging players on how dominant they were within the context of their era, which is the right approach. Yes, TO could run circles around Paul Warfield, but Moss and Harrison were the better receivers during Owens' time while Warfield dominated his. 

The only modern-era player who wasn't included that could have been is Calvin Johnson, unfortunately he just didn't have the longevity or team success to be considered. But when he played, he was one of the most dominant football players of all time, regardless of position. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 2

Surprised to see Calvin Johnson left off. I don’t think TO belongs ahead of anyone who

made it.   He was an amazing route runner and got open all the time. But he dropped a lot of easy catches.   Harrison and Largent had much better hands than TO.

I don’t have a problem w any of the old guys who made it.  All those guys were truly great football players who made a huge impact during their era.  Good list overall

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Reks Ryan said:

Surprised to see Calvin Johnson left off. I don’t think TO belongs ahead of anyone who

made it.   He was an amazing route runner and got open all the time. But he dropped a lot of easy catches.   Harrison and Largent had much better hands than TO.

I don’t have a problem w any of the old guys who made it.  All those guys were truly great football players who made a huge impact during their era.  Good list overall

I don't really care if you have 10 drops if you also have 15 TD's.

Personally, I wish they had broken them up into eras. Maybe something like pre 1950 is the first era, two platoon football and the african american players starting around then. Pick the 2 best guys or something, then 1950-1969 the AFL and TV era where modern ball was formed ,pick 2-3 guys. 1970-1989, pick 3 or 4 guys, 1990-onward pick or 4 or 5 guys. Something like that.

I have found this whole NFL 100 list to be a complete waste of time and an NFL gimmick.  There is simply no way to compare players from the 50's to players from today.  The game is vastly different.  All decade teams, okay.  But an all-time 100 team.  Impossible.  

37 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Personally, I wish they had broken them up into eras. Maybe something like pre 1950 is the first era, two platoon football and the african american players starting around then. Pick the 2 best guys or something, then 1950-1969 the AFL and TV era where modern ball was formed ,pick 2-3 guys. 1970-1989, pick 3 or 4 guys, 1990-onward pick or 4 or 5 guys. Something like that.

maybe it just totally a stupid (or fun) idea to take seriously trying to compare athletes from 80 years ago to today?

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

Owens is the 3rd best to ever do it, and a pretty good discussion could be had around the fact that he may be better than Moss.

He was left off the list because he didnt show to the Hall of Fame ceremony, pure and simple.   The fact that he wasnt 1st ballot was an absolute joke.  

a piss-poor attitude and stupidly burning bridges has consequences

Roberto Alomar was kept out his first year as well for baseball

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, row_33 said:

a piss-poor attitude and stupidly burning bridges has consequences

Roberto Alomar was kept out his first year as well for baseball

He reminds me of Dick Allen in baseball, and not being in the HOF. Looking at his numbers and awards there is every reason to think he should be in. But as Bill James said, "no player ever did more to help his team lose". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

Owens is the 3rd best to ever do it, and a pretty good discussion could be had around the fact that he may be better than Moss.

He was left off the list because he didnt show to the Hall of Fame ceremony, pure and simple.   The fact that he wasnt 1st ballot was an absolute joke.  

This is exactly where I am at as well. TO the football player was unstoppable. He gave max effort and was one of the best blocking Wrs ever. He demolished defenders in the blocking game. 

He is top 3 and maybe #2

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Needle said:

This is exactly where I am at as well. TO the football player was unstoppable. He gave max effort and was one of the best blocking Wrs ever. He demolished defenders in the blocking game. 

He is top 3 and maybe #2

Coming back early from a torn ACL to almost lead the Eagles to a Super Bowl win. That's immortal in my book. Anything but a loser. Far worse people in the HOF IMO. 

5 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Im just pissed that Crazy legs Hirsch was left off 

oh cripe....i just checked the list!! i was just kidding...

I think that was a very good list.It took into account the change in the game/era/rules.

..warfield--20 yards /catch??? thats insane.

Its meant to be controversial that way it gets talked about.

Who cares what the talking heads think everyone has their faves and their greatness will always live in your mind 

Besides the whole show was tainted by having the Lobster Boat Captain as part of the panel     F Bellicheat.